PDA

View Full Version : Kings sign controversial Avery

nivek_wahs
07-24-2006, 09:14 AM
from tsn.ca
Kings sign controversial Avery
TSN.ca Staff

7/24/2006 10:57:27 AM

Controversial forward Sean Avery is returning to the Los Angeles Kings.

The L.A. Times reported on Monday that Avery agreed to a one-year, $1.1 million contract with the Kings, allowing both sides to avoid arbitration.

Avery got a lot of press last hockey season, but most of it was for the wrong reasons.

Last September, he sounded off on French Canadian hockey players after Phoenix Coyotes defenceman Denis Gauthier leveled Jeremy Roenick with a hard hit in a preseason game.

"I think it was a clean hit," Avery said in September. "I think it was typical of most French guys in our league with a visor on, running around and playing tough and not back anything up."

In October, the 26-year old was also accused of making a racial slur to Oilers' forward Georges Laraque, although Avery denied making the comment.

Later on in the year, Avery was fined for diving by the National Hockey League, and he was then fined again after he commented on the original fine.

Avery's season ended with three games remaining after he and Kings assistant coach Mark Hardy had an argument during practice. Avery was sent off the ice and sent home for the rest of the season.

Because of all these events, many expected his tenure with the club to be over.

"This isn't like he's getting a clean slate with a new general manager and a new coach," Kings' first-year general manager Dean Lombardi told the Times. "He's still on double-secret probation."

Avery had 15 goals and 39 points last season, and he lead the league in penalty minutes for the second straight year with 257.

With files from the L.A. Times

Toswammi
07-24-2006, 10:46 AM
Well, i may be the only one here that likes the guy, but man he does his job (agitating) as good as anyone. I will admit that the guy yaps to much, but you also got to remember that all the instigating aside he is a heck of a player 39 points in 75 games, with a decent +/-. Also for the fantasy players, he picks up penalty minutes on top of the points.

SectionNDeserter
07-24-2006, 01:22 PM
While he does do a lot of agitating, the one key thing that works against him is that unlike other 'agitators' he singlehandedly wins games for the opposition teams, by taking 5 or 6 non-offsetting minor penalties every game. Its the same issue that bought Jarkko Ruutu his ticket out of Vancouver (Ruutu just gets less diving penalties).

Big Daddy
07-24-2006, 08:00 PM
"Double secret probation", what a great line from Animal House. Lombardi has a sense of humor.

dondo
07-25-2006, 12:10 AM
Avery was banished from the Kings dressing room late last season and they RE-SIGN HIM??
Avery's a gutless turtle and no team should sign him - I was hoping no one would sign the self-absorbed ****, who is a legend in his own mind.

he's not an agitator or a pest he is simply and purely an A-number-one ********* and should not be in the NHL imnsho. LA just re-signed a dressing room poison - good luck to them.

SectionNDeserter
07-25-2006, 06:25 AM
he's not an agitator or a pest he is simply and purely an A-number-one ********* and should not be in the NHL imnsho.Hah! How can you say that, when he has you so agitated? :laugh:

Tinner
07-25-2006, 09:06 AM
I would be more inclined to have a guy like him playing for me, because of the skill element he brings to the table than having a guy like Brashear who brings little skill and even less thinking.

Remember Avery needs to grow up and be mindful of the things he says publically and in the dressing room. We have been told by media and other outspoken players that he's a cancer, but obviously, the Kings new management does'nt think thats the case. Again, his style of play isn't everyones cup of tea, but hes doing the things that might just keep him in the NHL.

Before we pass judgement and rant and rave about his antics, lets see how he handles a second chance of using his style of play to help his team, not let them down.

SectionNDeserter
07-25-2006, 12:57 PM
Before we pass judgement and rant and rave about his antics, lets see how he handles a second chance of using his style of play to help his team, not let them down.Er, this would be more like his eighth chance... ;)

Tinner
07-26-2006, 10:33 AM
and your point is?

the content of my remarks deals with the difference between a player like Avery and players similar to Brashear, LaRouque etc. (although I hesitate to compare even Geo to Brashear).

dondo
07-26-2006, 12:48 PM
the difference being that Avery is an idiot (is that okay - oh censor board?) on and off the ice - not only does he have a big mouth on the ice, off the ice he's just as bad and hurts his team with his bad press and distractions he causes - the LA coachiung staff let him go for a reason at the end of last season and frankly I was hoping he'd be forced to play in Europe for the rest of his career.

The real problem is that when he actually decides to play hockey he's not bad, he has some scoring touch, but his parade to the penalty box for awful penalties, and distractions off the ice make him a player I would never want to see on my team, or in the dressing room for that matter.