PDA

View Full Version : Olie and Stu hold Bash this weekend

HAF
07-24-2006, 01:27 PM
Olie and Stu hold Bash this weekend

This story was published Sunday, July 23rd, 2006

By Annie Fowler, Herald staff writer

When Olie Kolzig and Stu Barnes reach out to their friends for a worthwhile cause, the response is overwhelming.

The two NHL players and owners of the Tri-City Americans will play host to the fifth annual Olie and Stu's Desert Bash on today and Monday at Meadow Springs Country Club.

The event, which will feature a dinner and auction tonight, will benefit the Carson Kolzig Foundation, which will donate funds to the Children's Developmental Center and help sponsor an autism conference Aug. 3-4 at Kadlec Medical Center.

The Carson Kolzig Foundation will be offering financial assistance to those who would like to attend the conference but cannot afford it. Interested parties can contact Kadlec for more information.

"It gives me goose bumps just thinking about the overwhelming support this community gives," said Christin Kolzig, whose son Carson, 5, is autistic. "Without it, the Carson Kolzig Foundation would not be able to help families in the Tri-Cities."

Christin Kolzig said the Carson Kolzig Foundation would like to be able to mirror the concept of Children's Village in Yakima, which benefits special needs children, not just those with autism.

"It is very needed here," she said.

Monday's tournament field has been full for more than a month. Each four-player team will be matched with a celebrity player.

On the celebrity list are former San Francisco Giants outfielder Marvin Benard, former Washington Redskins lineman Ed Simmons, former NHL left wing Jaroslav Svejkovsky, and Kolzig and Barnes.

"I haven't played at all," Barnes admitted. "I'm going to have to sneak in a few rounds. I'd have a tough time beating my 6-year-old (Jack) right now."

Making his first appearance at the Bash will be 1992 Super Bowl MVP Mark Rypien of the Washington Redskins.

The Redskins reunion gets a little bigger with former tight end Clint Didier joining the group.

Also playing will be Gail Cogdill the 1960 NFL Rookie of the Year; Ricky Churchman (San Francisco 49ers); NHL referee Dan O'Rourke; Bob Gross (1976-77 Trail Blazers NBA championship team); former NHL goalie Byron Dafoe and Logan Stephenson (Phoenix Coyotes).

The Tri-City Americans will offer up four golfers with coach Don Nachbaur, general manager Bob Tory, and forward Alex Aldred and goalie Chet Pickard.

From the golf ranks, MSCC pro Chris Peterson will play, as will Scott Johnson (2001 U.S. Open) and former golf pro Chris Johnson.

The tournament also has sponsors who have pledged up to $15,000, which could help the event raise more than last year's total of $140,000.

"We have been very, very fortunate. We have had great support from the community," said Barnes, who has one year left on his contract with the Dallas Stars. "There is a lot of hard work that goes into this, and Olie and Christin have put in a lot of time."

Kolzig, the starting goalie for the Washington Capitals since 1997, recently was awarded the NHL's King Clancy Memorial Trophy for his leadership and humanitarian contributions to his community.

Kolzig was instrumental in starting Athletes Against Austism, an initiative of the Cure Autism Now Foundation, the largest private funder of autism research in the country.

The Carson Kolzig Foundation has been raising funds to reach its goal of building an autism center in the Tri-Cities, the Kolzigs' off-season home.

A good portion of the money raised comes from the live and silent auction items donated by community sponsors, ranging from businesses to private citizens.

Lori and Don Watts have been ardent supporters of the event from the start.

"I'm a firm believer in supporting the community and I think it's incredible that we have Olie and Stu and what they have put back into the community," Lori Watts said. "Their cause is great. It's nice that they bring awareness to autism."

HAF
07-25-2006, 06:28 PM
Desert Bash brings in more money than anticipated

This story was published Tuesday, July 25th, 2006

By Annie Fowler, Herald staff writer

Mark Rypien has played in a lot of charity golf tournaments, but the former Washington State and Washington Redskins quarterback was impressed with Olie and Stu's Desert Bash before he even teed off Monday at Meadow Springs Country Club.

"The enthusiasm and excitement for this event is heartfelt," said Rypien, who will play host to his own benefit tournament on Sunday. "They are doing good work and it has a personal touch. Instead of playing for a large foundation where only a cent of every dollar stays here, every cent stays here in the Tri-City area."

The tournament, in its fifth year, is hosted by NHL stars and Tri-City Americans owners Olie Kolzig and Stu Barnes.

The event, which will benefit the Carson Kolzig Foundation and the Children's Developmental Center, far exceeded its goal, raising $165,000 from Sunday's auction alone. When sponsorship and golf entry fees are added, that total could exceed $200,000.

"This community never ceases to amaze me," Kolzig said. "I thought last year ($140,000) was one of those years when everything went right. I didn't think we would raise near that this year. It just blew me away. It says so much about the Tri-City community and that's why we call it home."

The team of Clark Watkins, Tom Moore, Rob Smith, Paul Wood and Chris Johnson combined for a 105 to win the tournament, three strokes ahead of Tom O'Brien, Kevin Cox, Darren Szendre, Mark Olenius and Americans co-owner Dennis Loman.

Rypien won the long drive competition at 320 yards, while NHL referee Dan O'Rourke won the closest-to-the-pin event at 2 feet, 1/2 inch, and Brad Wright won the putting contest.

Kolzig's team was ripe for a win with Todd Beyer and Kevin Tucker on the roster. Beyer won the Tri-City Amateur on Sunday, while Tucker, a recent Kennewick graduate and soon-to-be WSU player, tied for third. But they were so good that their lack of a handicap put them out of the running.

Jim Ostrander, who won the senior division at the Tri-City Amateur on Sunday, was paired up with Logan Stephenson of the Phoenix Coyotes, Loren Watts, Doug Overturf and Chris Indall.

Ostrander hit a tee shot that had his group awing at his proficiency, but claimed he was not be the man to carry the team.

"We are out here for a good cause and to have a lot of fun," Ostrander said. "I'm just trying to be an inspiration and not drive the cart in the water."

Rypien's tournament raises funds to support activities and research for children's cancer in the Spokane area. Rypien, the MVP of Super Bowl XXVI, lost his son Andrew to cancer in 1998.

"Every cent stays in the Spokane area," Rypien said. "That's the reason we do it and that's the reason we've been successful and why Olie and Stu have been successful. We earned $90,000 two years ago, $200,000 last year and we'd like to reach $300,000 this year."

Rypien showed his generous side during Sunday's auction.

Kolzig had put up airfare and a pair of tickets to a Washington Capitals game. The bidding was around $3,500 when Rypien took the microphone and added a pair of Redskins tickets, and the bidding war reached $7,000.

Instead of having one winner, Kolzig and Rypien added another set of tickets. The end result was $14,000 and two happy winners.

"Mark was just phenomenal," Kolzig said. "You bring in guys like that and it's no wonder the event is such a success