PDA

View Full Version : Tokarski

monarch39
07-26-2006, 03:41 PM
From the Prince Albert Daily Herald:

Tokarski bids for WHL position
By Brad Brown | Herald Staff

It’s true what they say: You can’t always get what you want.
But Dustin Tokarski is hoping the third time will be a charm.

“The previous two years I went to Swift Current’s and Calgary’s but that didn’t pan out,” Tokarski said of his previous experience with Western Hockey League training camps.

“Hopefully this time it will work out.”

Tokarski’s potential ticket to WHL ranks this year comes with the Spokane Chiefs, whose first real exposure to Tokarski came at the Mac’s tournament in Calgary last Christmas.

Spokane’s fall camp opens Aug. 25.

“He was playing very, very well in the Saskatchewan midget league,” Chiefs general manager Tim Speltz said of Tokarski, who helped lead the Prince Albert Mintos to the Telus Cup national midget AAA championship in April.

“Then we watched him at the Mac’s tournament and put him on our list at that time.”

Tokarski’s stock has risen considerably in the last year, having led the Saskatchewan Midget Hockey League in wins, goals-against average and save percentage last season.

“Whether he was late developing or we were late spotting him, I’m not sure,” said Speltz. “But the Telus Cup sure confirmed what we thought he could do. We are very, very comfortable with him in our system.”

Kevin Armstrong is the apparent frontrunner for the starting goaltender position in Spokane this year after a strong rookie season in which he notched 22 wins.

Behind him, however, the race for the backup goalie spot is wide open and Tokarski might have what it takes.

Thomas Stehr struggled in his rookie campaign with Spokane, winning only six games and sporting a save percentage of .822.

Also between the pipes at the Chiefs camp will be Darcy Kuemper, who sported a sparkling 16-3 record as the backup for the SMHL’s Saskatoon Contacts in 2005-06.

“As always with goalies, they have to earn their spot, but we’re sure projecting Dustin’s going to be a part of our team,” said Speltz.

Tokarski knows there’s no such thing as a sure thing, but seems to concur with Speltz

“You’re always nervous, but you’ve got to be confident and know what you want to accomplish,” he said.

“Hopefully that’s what I can do.”

This kid carried the Midget AAA National Champion Prince Albert Mintos for the entire season, and was sensational during a playoff run that saw the team go 19-2-1. This kid is the real deal - you guys got a good one here.

Triton
07-26-2006, 06:33 PM
I think he has a good shot at cracking the roster of the Chiefs.

Dwight Schrute
07-28-2006, 10:50 PM
I think he has a good shot at cracking the roster of the Chiefs.
best of luck to him and i hope he makes it. he pushed the previous starter and 3rd year vet karsten felske out of the starters position last year and really played well, hopefully he can give armstrong a good push too