PDA

View Full Version : here is Kalus article *read*

patsdude114
07-27-2006, 10:34 AM
Kalus agrees to three-year entry-level contract
5/8/2006

By Jeremy Lemoine

Boston, MA - On Monday, May 8, the Boston Bruins announced that left wing Petr Kalus agreed to terms on a three-year entry-level contract.

Kalus, a native of Ostrava, Czech Republic, was Boston’s second pick, 39th overall, in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft. After being drafted by the Bruins, the WHL’s Regina Pats drafted the 18-year-old third overall in the 2005 Canadian Hockey League import draft.

In his first season in the WHL, he led all rookies in scoring with 36 goals in just 60 games. He also led Regina in goals and in points with 36-22=58 totals. Kalus played in six playoff games and registered four goals and one assist for five points.

“Petr had an excellent year in Regina last season,” said Interim General Manager Jeff Gorton. “He led his team in goals and points as a rookie. He’s shown a real scoring touch, he has some toughness as well and he’s a very competitive kid. He had a strong showing in training camp last year for us and we look forward to seeing his improvement at training camp this season.”

Prior to coming to North America to play in the WHL, Kalus played three seasons of junior hockey with Vitkovice in the Czech Junior League. In 91 games, he recorded 28-19=47 totals and 228 penalty minutes.

The 6’1”, 192 lb. prospect will attend Boston’s training camp in the fall with an opportunity to make the NHL team. In accordance with the new Collective Bargaining Agreement, Kalus will be returned to his junior team in the WHL if the Bruins decide to not keep him on the Boston roster.

patsdude114
07-27-2006, 10:35 AM
this is right off the Bruins website

Bran
07-27-2006, 11:17 AM
All along the Pats have been under the assumption that the clause in the CBA didn't apply to Kalus because he was drafted as a Euro, and the Bruins have stated that he would have to be sent back to the Pats due to the CBA. I've read that part of the CBA and there are a number of ways it can be interpreted. Regardless of who's right or wrong, I think I'm gonna side with the Bruins on this one. ;)

Fight Guy
07-27-2006, 05:18 PM
All along the Pats have been under the assumption that the clause in the CBA didn't apply to Kalus because he was drafted as a Euro, and the Bruins have stated that he would have to be sent back to the Pats due to the CBA. I've read that part of the CBA and there are a number of ways it can be interpreted. Regardless of who's right or wrong, I think I'm gonna side with the Bruins on this one. ;)
I second that. That is great news if truely the case...but I think he has a chance of making the Bruins still.

patsdude114
07-28-2006, 11:24 AM
well i agreee with u too on that he has a shot at making the Bruins, but i think they have a little more plansa for Phil Kessel 1st before Kalus....thats just my opinion though plus if i remember correctly Wacey Rabbit wasnt he 20 last season he could use up 4th line mintues on the Bruins.

And with the Bruins signing Marc Savard, Shawn Donovan, and Mark Mowers.....those r 3 players with NHL experience who they must have some plans for in some way or another...sure they signed Chara but that wont effect Kalus if he makes them or doesnt make the team.

This is just my opinion but i do believe Kalus will get a look in NHL pre-season games and possibly 2 or 3 regular season games, just to give him a taste of where he has to be with his work ethic and consistant play

witness
07-28-2006, 02:09 PM
Wacey is a 20 year old this year. Did the Bruins sign him? If they did, then I would suspect that he will be playing in the farm system this year.
From what I understand, Kalus will be given every opportunity to make the Bruins this year. Not because of the year he had in junior, but rather because of the camp he had last fall. If he can be injury free, I think he will stick with the Bruins.

Fight Guy
07-28-2006, 04:18 PM
Wacey is a 20 year old this year. Did the Bruins sign him? If they did, then I would suspect that he will be playing in the farm system this year.
From what I understand, Kalus will be given every opportunity to make the Bruins this year. Not because of the year he had in junior, but rather because of the camp he had last fall. If he can be injury free, I think he will stick with the Bruins.
Yeah...he was around for 3 pre-season games or so last season, and the Bruins were quite impressed. Would hurt to send him back for one more season. Plus the CHL is again, "supposed" to be cracking down hard ont he new rules...NHL style, so the Pats, that were built and coached for the new rules, will be able to succeed again. The Pats were extremly good when the game was called like it was supposed to...then once the WHL got slack, it went down hill...sorta.

nivek_wahs
07-31-2006, 01:40 AM
Yeah...he was around for 3 pre-season games or so last season, and the Bruins were quite impressed. Would hurt to send him back for one more season. Plus the CHL is again, "supposed" to be cracking down hard ont he new rules...NHL style, so the Pats, that were built and coached for the new rules, will be able to succeed again. The Pats were extremly good when the game was called like it was supposed to...then once the WHL got slack, it went down hill...sorta.

Time will tell with Kalus. Boston has a new GM and new coaches and who knows who they are willing to keep around to make the Bruins a decent team again. With signing Chara, Savard, Donovan and Mowers it makes me think that the Bruins wont be an overly rookie-laden team. But then again training camp will tell the tale. Being a Pats fan I hope he comes back but if he is actually ready to take the next step I hope he does.

The Hockey News (and Forecaster) has him 5th on the Bruins depth chart for RW... http://www.forecaster.ca/hockeynews/hockey/_4qc90jbtip20/depthchart.cgi?Bos. On the same list Rabbit is ranked 10th for centres on their depth chart... I ain't saying that this is concrete or anything but it might give some idea as to where they sit in the organization.

nivek_wahs
08-17-2006, 01:37 AM
from tsn.ca

Report: Kessel to play in Boston

TSN.ca Staff
8/17/2006 1:51:35 AM

Phil Kessel appears to be ready to start his career in the National Hockey League.

According to ESPN.com, the University of Minnesota forward has decided to forego his final years of college eligibility and will sign a three-year contract with the Boston Bruins. The formal announcement could come as early as Thursday.

ESPN reports that Kessel will earn the entry-level maximum of $850,000 in salary - not including significant performance bonuses.

Last season in Minnesota, Kessel netted 18 and had 33 assists. He was also a member of Team U.S.A.'s World Championship club.

Kessel will turn 19 on October 2.

More details to follow.

I know this isn't directly Kalus related, but if Kessel does go and play in Boston it is one spot less for Kalus to make the Bruins.

But, o well. I guess I will have to be a bitter Pats fan if Kalus doesn't come back :D :mad: .

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
08-17-2006, 01:58 AM
from tsn.ca

I know this isn't directly Kalus related, but if Kessel does go and play in Boston it is one spot less for Kalus to make the Bruins.

But, o well. I guess I will have to be a bitter Pats fan if Kalus doesn't come back :D :mad: .

Who knows? Its basically 50/50 on whether he comes back. He starts the season with the bruins for sure, but I think he will come back around late october, or early november. (Same time barker came back to lions, little while before brule came back to giants)

Dont get too stressed out over this, Pinky( :laugh: ). Kalus or not we are in for a good season.

nivek_wahs
08-17-2006, 02:12 AM
Who knows? Its basically 50/50 on whether he comes back. He starts the season with the bruins for sure, but I think he will come back around late october, or early november. (Same time barker came back to lions, little while before brule came back to giants)

Dont get too stressed out over this, Pinky( :laugh: ). Kalus or not we are in for a good season.

I was pondering the situation in Boston and seriously with all the changes with Boston and with the new coaching staff/GM, I don't think anyone knows for sure what the situation is in Boston. Lewis is known for leaning towards the veteran-type players. But then again that's why teams have training camps and minor league teams.

Golks
09-11-2006, 08:54 PM
Kinda of an update on the Kalus Situation:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=288099

I guess it is just more confirmation that Kalus must return to Regina if he doesn't stick with the Boston.

Let's cross our fingers.:)

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
09-11-2006, 09:46 PM

I guess it is just more confirmation that Kalus must return to Regina if he doesn't stick with the Boston.

Wow I just finished looking through that, and then came back here to see it already posted....

This was basically already known info, If Petr doesnt make the bruins, he comes back to the Pats. Surprisingly, Petr himself was not aware he would return here instead of the AHL.

I still dont know where he will end up this season. He could go from being sent back to the pats, to a top 6 players on a fairly decent NHL team in the bruins. It all depends on how he performs in camp, and yesterday he was argueably the best forward on the ice (according to forums of course). He has got what it takes to play in the big show. Though Kalus has been the best offensive rookie in training camp this year, including Kessel, he needs to work on all aspects of the game.

There is no need to rush him, in my opinion, one more year here will not only boost his already high confidence, but will also be a good opportunity to learn new things and fix some of the flaws in his game. For Kalus, the AHL would have been the best option, but I guess this will have to do. :D

Despite the success that Kalus can, and will achieve in the near future, it would be just super duper to see him tearing up the league this year for the pats.

PS: Click on the hf board link and find the Canucks section, and find info about the Training camps. Apparently, Rick Rypien is maknig a fight to play on the canucks this year, and believe it or not, he is a front runner for a fourth line position. Lots of good things said about ricky in the forums. Go #11!

Fight Guy
09-11-2006, 09:51 PM
He'd get to adapt to the rules here aswell while playing on a top line. Though I do think he will be able to make the Bruins this year. He did great last season at camp and he could have only gotten better. I really hope he comes back though.

Trav
09-11-2006, 09:56 PM
required to return to the WHL since he was drafted out of Europe, he can go pro. It'd be pretty stupid if they send Kalus back but didnt send Rabbit back, Kalus is a way better prospect then Rabbit is.

T-Bone
09-12-2006, 12:26 PM
He's not required to return to the WHL since he was drafted out of Europe, he can go pro. It'd be pretty stupid if they send Kalus back but didnt send Rabbit back, Kalus is a way better prospect then Rabbit is.

You are only one year behind the rest of the world.

With the new CBA, an UA junior player has to be "offered" to his junior team first. If for some reason Regina were to say no to Kalus' return, he would then be sent to Providence. Rabbit is no longer an UA player and can go directly to Boston's minor-league team if they so choose.