PDA

View Full Version : Sizzlin’ Summer Showdown

nivek_wahs
07-31-2006, 02:46 AM
from www.hockeymanitoba.mb.ca

SIZZLIN’ SUMMER SHOWDOWN brings some of Manitoba’s finest hockey players home

When these boys want to come to the rink in summer, you put the ice in early.

That’s what’s happening at the Selkirk Recreation Complex Thursday August 3rd, when Mike Keane, Jordin Tootoo, Cam Barker, Jonathon Toews, and their NHL and AHL friends will hit the ice to raise funds for the Never Alone Foundation and CancerCare Manitoba.

These hockey stars will to go head to head in the first annual Sizzlin’ Summer Showdown to support their friend and former WHL player Todd Davison in his commitment to help in the fight against cancer.

Todd, a feisty forward with the WHL’s Regina Pats during their 2002-03 season, was diagnosed with synovial sarcoma in his left shoulder in June 2004. He has battled this new adversary with the unfailing spirit he showed on the ice. While his personal fight continues, he also has a new goal: to make a difference in the fight against cancer. His idea of a fundraising hockey game has come alive thanks to his determination and the support of family, friends, and the hockey community.

“I’m so thankful for all the help and support I have received since I was diagnosed, and the only way I thought that I could say thank you is to in turn help someone else,” says Todd. “I want all the people who attend this hockey game to know that they have made a contribution.”

The NHL and AHL players giving their time to play in the Showdown (see complete listing) will benefit from the expert coaching skills of Loc’r and Philly from the Power 97 morning show. An on-air draft during their show will generate the teams.

The Never Alone Foundation and Lyle Bauer are pleased to partner with Todd’s Believe in the Goal organization to present this fundraising hockey game for local fans. The Never Alone Foundation, formed by the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in 2005, was born from Bomber President and CEO Lyle Bauer’s desire to assist cancer victims and their families, following his own experience with the disease. “There is a pressing need for all of us to band together in respect to the fight against Cancer. From the onset I was impressed with Todd and his conviction to "make a difference" and we are extremely honored to be involved with this program,” says Lyle Bauer.

The monies raised from ticket sales, sponsorship packages, and the sale of merchandise at the game will be presented to the Never Alone Foundation and to CancerCare Manitoba, which is responsible for cancer prevention, detection, care, research, and education in the province. Tickets for the Sizzlin’ Summer Showdown are just $15 and are on sale at Ticketmaster June 23rd.

Get them at 780-3333 or online at Ticketmaster.ca.

Game time August 3rd at the Selkirk Recreation Centre is 7:00 p.m. Pregame activities will start at 5:00 p.m.

nivek_wahs
07-31-2006, 02:50 AM
A related article...
from http://www.winnipegsun.com/Sports/Hockey/2006/07/27/1704561-sun.html

NHLers happy to help
Pros hit the ice to raise money for CancerCare
By SCOTT UNGER, STAFF REPORTER

Without hesitation, the best hockey players from Manitoba will showcase their skills next Thursday in a fun-filled game for CancerCare Manitoba.

The Sizzlin' Summer Showdown happens at the Selkirk Recreation Complex Aug. 3 and it will give hockey fans feeling the summer drought a a rare opportunity to check out the pros up close.

More than 25 current and future NHLers will be playing to help the Believe in the Goal Foundation in the fight against cancer. The foundation was created by former Regina Pat Todd Davison, who was diagnosed with synovial sarcoma in his left shoulder on June 2004.

"It's going to be a great event," said Travis Zajac, who recently left the University of North Dakota to sign with the New Jersey Devils. "I grew up playing with Todd and I am glad to be a part of it."

The Believe in the Goal Foundation has teamed up with the Never Alone Foundation, which was created in 2005 by the Winnipeg Blue Bombers after CEO Lyle Bauer was diagnosed with throat cancer.

Virtually everyone knows someone that has been struck by cancer. Former Manitoba Moose defenceman Nolan Baumgartner can especially relate to an event like this.

"I have an aunt and uncle who are currently fighting cancer and my wife's mother died of cancer," said the rearguard, who has signed with the Philadelphia Flyers for next season.

"Any guy will tell you he'd be glad to come out and do an event like this. We are very lucky to be in the situation we are in and it's great to help people out whether they are fighting this disease or any other one."

Keeping with the fun spirit, Power 97 announcers Lochlin Cross and Philly are the celebrity coaches. The anticipation has already begun. Since last Tuesday, every day at 3:20 p.m. on Power 97 each coach drafts three players for his respective team. This is being done until the day of the event.

Zajac went to Team Lochlin Cross with the first overall selection and Team Philly countered with Atlanta Thrashers forward J.P. Vigier, who hails from Notre Dame de Lourdes.

Other players in the game include Chicago Blackhawks prospect Jonathan Toews and the much-publicized Dustin Penner, who climbed from junior college hockey to a regular spot with the Anaheim Ducks last season.

nivek_wahs
07-31-2006, 02:55 AM
Posted on Power 97's (radio station) website http://www.power97.com/station/station.aspx?mc=41322

Complete List of Players
1) Jon Toews-UND (NCAA), Team Canada Jrs, 3rd overall NHL draft
2) Dustin Boyd-Moose Jaw (WHL), Team Canada Jrs
3) Nigel Dawes-Hartford Wolfpack (AHL)
4) Travis Zajac-UND (NCAA), Albany (AHL)
5) Eric Fehr-Washington (NHL) Hershey (AHL)
6) Mike Richards-Philadelphia (NHL)
7) Adam Courchaine-Houston (AHL)
8) Tyler Arnason-Colorado (NHL)
9) Colton Orr-New York (NHL)
10) J P Vigier-Atlanta (NHL)
11) Jeremy Williams-Toronto (AHL)
12) Dustin Penner-Anaheim (NHL) Portland (AHL)
13) Nathan Smith-Manitoba (AHL)
14) Andrew Murray-Syracuse (AHL)
15) Jordin Tootoo-Nashville (NHL)
16) Ryan Craig-Tampa Bay (NHL)
17) Nolan Baumgartner-Philadelphia (NHL)
18) Cam Barker-Med Hat (WHL) Team Canada Jrs, Chicago (NHL)
19) Derek Meech-Grand Rapids (AHL)
20) Ian White-Toronto (NHL, AHL)
21) Steve Later-Toronto (AHL)
22) Rejean Beauchemin-Philadelphia (AHL)