PDA

View Full Version : garth collins

Dwight Schrute
08-10-2006, 07:11 PM
has he been released ? is he still on the ppl ? whats going to happen with him ?

PWH
08-10-2006, 10:15 PM
Garth was dropped from the PPL at the time of the bantam draft. He is a free agent, but I heard he was going to enroll in college.

HAF
08-10-2006, 10:24 PM
Ahhh Good ol' Garth Collins. I used to love to hate that guy. Until I got to talkto him briefly when he was a scratch one night, He's actually a hell of a nice guy and very graciously signed a program for my 5 yr old son.

Triton
08-10-2006, 11:18 PM
Garth was always a great person.Just not the greatest on the ice.

Dwight Schrute
08-10-2006, 11:35 PM
Garth was always a great person.Just not the greatest on the ice.
you bet class act all the way
i would love the raiders to pick him up again. between him elder and depape and hewson gauthier ..... wow mean street bullies ... could provide some entertainment

ihlemic10
08-11-2006, 02:28 PM
I would kill for the Tips to grab Garth...give us some toughness...

Redwic
08-15-2006, 09:30 PM
Garth Collins is worthless, skill-wise. He is HIGHLY penalty prone, and is a prime example of just what the hockey leagues are going away from: Thugs. The Silvertips need some toughness, true, but Garth offers little in the "hockey talent" category, in my opinion. There are a lot of tough players in the league who also have the talent to back up their worth. Garth is not one of them.

AmsPhotos
08-16-2006, 12:18 PM
Its up to coaches to define those roles and help players be successful in those roles. Maybe of the things you have said about Collins were also true about Mitch Love before he joined the Silvertips. Its not really fair to pidgeon hole players completely just based on what he did for a particular team and a particular coach.

Cam McCaffrey is another good example for us. He averaged four goals a season in Kamloops. Was given a bigger role when he came to TC and notched 19 goals and was one of our vocal leaders.

ihlemic10
08-16-2006, 12:32 PM
Garth Collins is worthless, skill-wise. He is HIGHLY penalty prone, and is a prime example of just what the hockey leagues are going away from: Thugs. The Silvertips need some toughness, true, but Garth offers little in the "hockey talent" category, in my opinion. There are a lot of tough players in the league who also have the talent to back up their worth. Garth is not one of them.

I'd like to see what KC could do to him to turn him into a Love. I just saw him as some free toughness, although I think we still have a couple of extra draft picks to burn...

Redwic
08-16-2006, 02:22 PM
Its up to coaches to define those roles and help players be successful in those roles. Maybe of the things you have said about Collins were also true about Mitch Love before he joined the Silvertips. Its not really fair to pidgeon hole players completely just based on what he did for a particular team and a particular coach.

A change of scenery CAN do wonders. My opinion is/was based off of what I have seen from Collins thus far. I can certainly be proven wrong. And you're right about Love; He probably would not have had a hockey 'career' after the WHL if he had not played for the Silvertips when he did & revise his play.

ihlemic10
08-16-2006, 03:30 PM
It is a good point about what coaches encourage. I wonder what the encouragement from the Portland coaches is. For the last couple years I would think its not take any crap and hope the offense can make up for all the Powerplay goals. Late this season Portland did realize they would have it easier with the Tips to stay out of the box. Maybe if Collins came here, KC would get him out of the fight all the time mentality and have him focus on the game. Just make sure he still has some of it in him to stand up for the younger guys.

Dwight Schrute
08-19-2006, 04:43 PM
how often does collins get a minor penalty ? or give the other team a powerplay ?
almost never in his time in pa

Redwic
08-19-2006, 04:55 PM
how often does collins get a minor penalty ? or give the other team a powerplay ?
almost never in his time in pa

From 2003-05, while with Prince Albert, Garth Collins had 163 PIM in 66 games played. Are you suggesting that extremely few power plays resulted from that many PIM? Highly doubtful.

Dwight Schrute
08-20-2006, 10:56 PM
From 2003-05, while with Prince Albert, Garth Collins had 163 PIM in 66 games played. Are you suggesting that extremely few power plays resulted from that many PIM? Highly doubtful.
yes i am suggesting that.
in fact im saying it.
pretty much all of garth's penalties were offsetting, im not too sure about portland though but in pa they were pretty much never hurt his team

PWH
08-21-2006, 10:56 AM
In Portland, he put the Hawks short-handed 27 times. That was 7th on the Hawks roster. The opposing team scored 6 times while he was in the box.

Don't know about his days in PA.

Dwight Schrute
08-21-2006, 08:02 PM
his pim rose quite a bit in portland compared to pa. but in pa he was a good enforcer