PDA

View Full Version : raiders hire new assistant coach

westbeach55
08-13-2006, 10:33 PM
WHL Grad Kris Knoblauch Joins Raiders Coaching Staff
Created: Aug 14, 2006

PRINCE ALBERT, SK – The Prince Albert Raiders are pleased to announce they have hired Western Hockey League grad Kris Knoblauch as one of the teams’ Assistant Coaches.

Knoblauch, 27, played with the Red Deer Rebels, Edmonton Ice, Kootenay Ice and Lethbridge Hurricanes in the WHL from 1995-99. He went on to play 5 years at the University of Alberta from 1999-2004, the last four seasons as an Assistant Captain. While at the U of A, Knoblauch helped them win the CIAU title in 2000 and won the Canada West title 4 times. He graduated from the U of A with a Bachelor of Education in 2004 supported by the WHL Education Program.

For the past two seasons, Knoblauch has played in professional hockey, in 2004-05 with the Austin Ice Bats of the Central Hockey League. and this past season with the Neuilly Sur Marne Bisions (as player /assistant coach) in Hockey France Division 1 in Paris, France.

The native of Imperial, Saskatchewan, who was drafted by the New York Islanders in the 7th round, 166th overall of the 1997 NHL draft, is excited to return to the WHL.

“I think it will be an exciting transition for me to go from a player to an assistant coach, and one I look forward to,” said Knoblauch. “Hockey has been my life for many years and it would be difficult not to be around the game and the people, so I am very excited to join the Raiders’ staff.”

“We are very pleased to add Kris Knoblauch to fill out the Raider coaching staff”, commented Raider General Manager Donn Clark. “With his experience at the WHL, CIS, Minor Pro and European level, we think Kris has a lot he can add to our staff and program.”

The addition of Knoblauch completes the Raider coaching staff for 2006-07 with Peter Anholt as the Head Coach and Knoblauch, Dave Manson and Mark Odnokon as the Assistants. Knoblauch will start with the Raiders August 21st, in time for training camp which begins August 24th.

taken from the whl website

Dwight Schrute
08-14-2006, 04:18 PM
too bad they couldnt add some experiance. i hope this works out.
but as someone posted on the white board" with 2 part timers (odnokon and manson) and 1 rookie (knoblauch) looks like anholt wont have his job challenged,and there isnt anyone to replace him immediatly should he be fired

coach kleats
08-15-2006, 12:50 PM
The hiring of Knoblauch is just another example in the hockey world of players getting hired on as coach's with little or no experience. You hardly ever see it in other sports but hockey does it all the time. Most sports you have to put your time in to eventually move to a higher level. I have always said that just because you could play doesn't mean you can coach. What's everyones opinion on players getting coaching gigs and paying your dues to move up the levels.

SectionNDeserter
08-15-2006, 06:12 PM
Seems to be a growing trend in all of hockey the last few years. Jesse Wallin hung them up to be a Rebel's assistant coach at 28 or so last year, and scores of others from Knoblauch to Garth Snow, who were never any sort of leaders on the ice are also suddenly holding down important positions like asst. coach and GM with absolutely zero coaching/gm experience.