PDA

View Full Version : New assistant coach

Jimmypop316
08-15-2006, 03:24 PM
PLEAU NAMED ASSISTANT COACH
8/15/2006

The Spokane Chiefs have named Steve Pleau their Assistant Coach for the 2006-07 season. Last season, Pleau was the Head Coach of the Peoria Rivermen and led the St. Louis Blue’s American Hockey League Affiliate to a 46 win and 100 point season.

“The Western Hockey League is a league that I have wanted to experience for a long time and this is a great opportunity to get my foot in the door,” Pleau said. “I think the chance to work with the Chiefs and in the WHL will help further my development as a coach, but at the same time give me the chance to develop players at a different age level than I have worked with recently.”

Pleau spent the last nine seasons with the Blues organization in different capacities, six and a half of those as the Worcester IceCats Assistant Coach. Pleau served as the IceCats interm Head Coach in the final 20 games of the 2004-05 season. The Blues moved their AHL affiliate from Worcester to Peoria in 2005-06.

“I’m excited to add a coach of Steve’s caliber to our coaching staff and I look forward to working with him,” Head Coach Bill Peters said. “I feel his experience in the AHL will benefit our organization and ultimately help our players develop into professionals.”

“Obviously, Steve is a great addition to our staff,” Chiefs General Manager Tim Speltz said. “His experience at levels other than major junior will do nothing but help our coaching staff and organization. I’m excited for our team, Bill Peters and Steve Pleau.”

Pleau played 88 games in four seasons at the University of New Hampshire from 1992-96. The following year, 1996-97, he served as a scout for the New York Rangers before moving to the Blues organization in 1997-98. That same season, Pleau served as the Head Coach for the USA Hockey National Team Development Program at the Viking Cup and as an Assistant Coach for the National Under-18 and Under-20 teams.

“My family has heard a lot of great things about that part of the country and we look forward to life in the northwest,” said Pleau who is expected to make the trip from his home in New Hampshire to Spokane early next week.

Pleau and his wife Sherry have two-year-old daughter Lily Mae and eight-week-old son Jake.

The Spokane Chiefs will begin their Annual Fall Camp with ice sessions on Friday, August 25th. The Red-White scrimmage will take place on Sunday, August 27th at 1:00.

Spokane will begin the regular season on Saturday, September 23rd at Kootenay and the home portion of their schedule on Saturday, October 7th when they host the Tri-City Americans. Individual tickets will go on sale on Tuesday, September 12th at the Spokane Chiefs office or at any TicketsWest outlet.

==

Looks like he is a well experienced coach and is going to add a lot behind the bench.