PDA

View Full Version : Prince Albert Mintos

Triton
08-16-2006, 01:49 PM
They are gonna be hard pressed to repeat what they accomplished last season.They will be decent but with key players moving on,I think the Mintos will be in a rebuilding stage.

Returnees:
LW Colton Graf
D Lewis Laczko
RW Ian Lazar
RW Alan Logue
D Mickey Pawlyshyn
C Jadon Potter
LW Steven Robinson
RW Owen Roschuk
D Taylor Thiessen
C Michael Winkel

Gone:
G Karsten Felske
G Dustin Tokarski
C Ryan Gareau
RW Adam Matlock
RW Ron Meyers
C Matthew Robertson
C Brendan Turner

Uncertainties:
D Tommy Brown
RW Ryan Fox(will attend Hitmen camp)
D Cody Hobbs(will attend Chilliwack's camp)
D Curtis Kulchar(Attending Regina Pats camp)
D Bobby Spigott

Possible rookies:
F Brant Henry-Norton
D Tyson Newell
D Josh Deuck
G Jesse McDonald
G Kelly Delorme
G Carsen Chubak
F Jessie Bannerman
F Tyler Fiddler
F Brady Keller

Other players from outside of P.A will come and try-out.Even players who played in the AAA league may come to fill spots available.Possible players drafted by the Raiders who are close to here may try-out as well.

Wildeyes
08-16-2006, 03:14 PM
they have over 90 kids in camp this weekend the camp runs from 8 am to 6pm on saturday i will be on the ice for it from 3 till its done

sunday 8am - 12:45

Top 40 game is on at 2:30 sunday AHC come out and watch

raider guy
08-17-2006, 06:55 PM
enough with the mintos there era is over, i believe this is a raider board not a minto board.

Triton
08-17-2006, 07:03 PM
enough with the mintos there era is over, i believe this is a raider board not a minto board.

Some people take pride in their community teams, and since the Mintos are apart of this community,I along with others pride ourselves on what the Mintos were able to accomplish.I believe some of those Minto players are Raider property so it does tie into this Raider board.

Triton
08-17-2006, 07:04 PM
they have over 90 kids in camp this weekend the camp runs from 8 am to 6pm on saturday i will be on the ice for it from 3 till its done

sunday 8am - 12:45

Top 40 game is on at 2:30 sunday AHC come out and watch

Does the 40 game cost anything?

FELIX17
08-17-2006, 07:26 PM
Well you know what,I'am gonna continue to talk about the Mintos regardless of what you think or say.Some people take pride in their community teams,and since the Mintos are apart of this community,I along with others pride ourselves on what the Mintos were able to accomplish.I believe some of those Minto players are Raider property so it does tie into this Raider
board.God there's like 2 threads about the Mintos..relax.

I'm with Raider Guy on this one. I support the Mintos but this is a WHL board not a SMAAAHL board.

SeventhHeaven4U
08-17-2006, 10:20 PM
Why should it be a problem talking about the Mintos?? You obviously had no problem with the 189 posts (minimum) in April and May regarding them and their quest for the Telus Cup! There are players which are Raider prospects on that team which are more than likely attending the camp this month. If you have a problem with discussing these fine young men or with the user who posted the thread, then don't read it.

Perhaps a compromise can be made. Discuss the Mintos and other minor leagues in the general WHL forum so as to not ruffle anymore feathers.

Dwight Schrute
08-17-2006, 10:59 PM
i think the best idea is to have one thread and one only for minto discussion.
sabes and raiderfan17 what do you think ? your the mods, would that be a feasable solution ?

Dwight Schrute
08-18-2006, 12:44 AM
sounds like a plan

Wildeyes
08-18-2006, 11:40 AM
i will find out if the top 40 has any cost i will post tommorow bout it but i wouldnt think if there was it would be more that 3

but last yr there wastn any cost to it

Wildeyes
08-19-2006, 07:18 PM
well just finished my first day at the mintos camp WOW DO MY FEET HURT. There was some surpises Dont think jaden potter will be here this yr he will stay with the Bruins, He just looked to domainate here. goaltening will be very not good so far as what i seen hopefully they can pick up someone.

We will see on what day 2 has to bring :wave:

Wildeyes
08-20-2006, 12:57 PM
THE TOP 40 GAME IS FREE AND AT 2:30

Triton
08-21-2006, 04:37 PM
I didn't make it but heard it was a 3-0 score.You wouldn't happen to have any line-ups?

Wildeyes
08-21-2006, 09:35 PM
no i dont they didnt give any lines up that i could see

Number_4
08-30-2006, 01:08 PM
hey all.... This thread has not only gotten out of hand, but also off-topic. Whether it deserves to be a sticky thread or not, is debatable. I've unstuck it because if it is an active thread, it will stay near the top of the board anyways. As well, I have deleated all posts that are off the topic of the mintos.
I love the fact that people are supporting all of their teams, I think it is great to see.
Please remember that this board is a clean, respectable board, and that we dont allow anyone to attack another member. Full rules are availible at the top of each page, on the blue bar thingie.

Soo... back to the mintos...

Wildeyes
09-19-2006, 01:21 PM
THE MINTOS HOME OPENER TUES SEPT 26 7:30 AHC

Come to the home opener they should be unvealing the national champ banner on this day PACK THE AHC

Triton
09-19-2006, 01:44 PM
How much is it do you know off hand?

Wildeyes
09-20-2006, 12:38 AM
5 buck for an adult really cheap entertament

yall come out now ya hear

plus i am working the lines that night i will be the not so slim one :p ;)

Raiderfan8
09-25-2006, 05:06 PM
Hey Bud, C Brads here . How is Herrod looking for the Minto's ? I am intrested to see him and Penner step in for the Raiders next year as 16 year olds.

Triton
09-25-2006, 06:39 PM
Button Will Be A Good One Next Year 2

Jorden Iron could be a Jon Mirasty type player,who gives his all.Interestingly enough they hail from the same town.

Dwight Schrute
09-25-2006, 09:09 PM
Jorden Iron could be a Jon Mirasty type player,who gives his all.Interestingly enough they hail from the same town.
he played for beardy's midget aaa last year as a underage player

Wildeyes
09-25-2006, 09:24 PM
Iron will be ther tom Every one come out Herrod looks great

Wildeyes
10-01-2006, 10:49 PM
Mintos Pounded the ND Argos Today 13-1 final score

Triton
02-25-2007, 04:39 PM
Seeing as not many pay attention to a winning team,I'll update you.

With todays 4-3 OT win over the very good N.D Hounds,the Mintos have secured themselves home ice advantage throughout the playoffs.

The Mintos sit atop the Saskatchewan Midget AAA standings with a 35-7-1-1 record good for 72 pts,and currently ride a 8 game winning streak while having yet to surrender 100 GA this season.If I'm not mistaken the Mintos have a better record this year than last years Telus Cup winning team,which should boast well heading into the playoffs.

The Mintos have had success all season.Even a few players made appearances elsewhere..

Curtis Kulchar-Regina Pats,Team Saskatchewan
Carsen Chubak-Brandon Wheatkings
Cody Hobbs-Chilliwack Bruins(stayed with the club)
Colton Graf-Chilliwack Bruins(Stayed with the club)
Jadon Potter-Chilliwack Bruins
Tyler Fiddler-La Ronge Ice Wolves
Ryan Fox-Calgary Hitmen
Jordan Washburn-Team Saskatchewan

The scoring has been so spread out this season with all players contributing on a nightly basis.With the effort the team puts forth each night and their great cycle game and strong forecheck,it's going to be real hard to beat us.Honestly,I see this team heading back to the Telus Cup in Red Deer.

Which was supposed to be a weakness(goaltending),has been one of the many strengths.Both Washburn and Chubak sit 1-2 in the league in most categories,and both participated in the all star game along with Fiddler,Potter,Brown,Fox and the coaching staff.

Playoffs start with a game this Friday against an opponent yet TBD.The games are inexpensive and provide great hockey.Lets help the Mintos get back to the Cup.

Also congrats to wildeyes or his dad for winning season tickets to next year.

Wildeyes
02-27-2007, 08:37 PM
I will be lining the game on fri 7:30 AHC they will play either Yorkton or contacts

Yorkton is 1 point behind contacts in the standing with a game to be played against the argos on wends.

Wildeyes
02-28-2007, 10:56 PM
Mintos play yorkton in the first round of playoff maybe it will be 2 home games here in pa cause of the travel

its a best of 5 it would only make sense games 1-2 in pa and game 3 and 4 if nessacary in yorkton

Sabes
03-02-2007, 04:50 PM
i'll be there

Triton
03-03-2007, 12:52 PM
Mintos won last night to open the playoffs 6-1 over Yorkton.It got ugly though at the end.

1 P.A Mintos vs 8 Yorkton (Mintos lead best of 5 2-0)
2 N.D Hounds vs 7 Saskatoon Contacts (best of 5 tied 1-1)
3 Beardy's Blackhawks vs 6 Saskatoon Blazers (best of 5 tied 1-1)
4 Moose Jaw Warriors vs 5 Regina Pat Canadians (Warriors lead best of 5 2-0)

Kinda worried what happened to Sterling Labatte.He left late in the 3rd and didn't return.We already are without Mitchell Peeke.Supposedly both Washburn and Kulchar will be back for game 2 in Yorkton Monday.

Triton
03-03-2007, 07:08 PM
where were you hiding canadian eh? i dint see you there. thought I was the only one there to cheer for a WINNER !!!!!

In the section behind the visitors bench..2nd row from the top.I sit with my father in law.

Triton
03-06-2007, 08:15 PM
Mintos won game 2 in Yorkton on Monday 2-1 in overtime.

Game 3 and possibly the sweep goes Wednesday March 7th at the AHC.

GO! MINTOS

Triton
03-08-2007, 08:21 PM
Mintos lost game 3 2-1 but outshot Yorkton 50-27.

Hopefully a better outcome is in the cards tomorrow.

Mintos lead the series 2-1.

Triton
03-11-2007, 06:56 PM
Mintos prevail in the first round besting Yorkton 4-0 in game 4 to win the series 3-1.

Next up is the Saskatoon Blazers.Game 1 goes Monday at the AHC 7:30.

Triton
03-13-2007, 01:45 PM
Mintos won game 1 of the second round 5-1 and lead the series 1-0.

Game 2 goes tonight in Saskatoon at the Jemini.

Hopefully the Mintos can win and can wrap it up in game 3 Thursday here at the AHC.

There was a decent crowd at last nights game.

hobster
03-14-2007, 12:19 PM
Wow the Blazers win in 2 ot haha. What a game and a intense crownd last night at the jemini. Best of 3 series now anybody's to win i say :bounce:

hobster
03-14-2007, 02:07 PM
no silly the blazers got this series

raider guy
03-14-2007, 03:51 PM
i wasnt at the game, but i was at game 1 and the mintos out played them and i heard from some one who was there, that the mintos outplayed them again in game two but couldnt get the puck in the net.

GO MINTOS GO
GO RAIDERS GO

hobster
03-14-2007, 03:54 PM
it was a even played game and the blazers out played them by a bit but big deal the blazers should win this on in 5 is my guess haha dancing pi dancing pi dancing pi dancing pi dancing pi dancing pi

Triton
03-16-2007, 08:05 PM
Mintos take game 3 4-1 and lead the series 2-1 and will wrap it up Saturday at the Jemini.

I'll be making the trip tomorrow night for the game.I hear the Jemini is one of the crappiest rinks...some say the Shroh is worse.

hobster
03-16-2007, 08:12 PM
well duh the jemini sucks it's mostly played at mens levill wich is played by guys that are 30-35 years old and about 15 games a day on it

Sabes
03-18-2007, 12:35 AM
Mintos win 2-1, looks like it's Notre Dame vs PA just like it should be. It's going to be a great series.

Wildeyes
03-18-2007, 12:36 AM
should be a sweet series hopefully the fans can pack the AHC for atleast one game a total sell out would be something

Triton
03-18-2007, 10:26 AM
There was a large contingent of us Minto fans last night situated in the far corner of the rink last night.Boy were we loud.

I'm glad we came out with the win and the series.Bring on the Hounds.That series won't be easy by any means.

Wildeyes
03-20-2007, 01:10 AM
this is the sched for the Finals

Mar 22 7:30pm Mintos Vs Notre Dame Hounds Art Hauser Center
Mar 24 8:00pm Mintos @ Notre Dame Hounds
Mar 26 7:30pm Mintos Vs Notre Dame Hounds Art Hauser Center
Mar 28 8:00pm Mintos @ Notre Dame Hounds (If Necessary)
Mar 31 2:00pm Mintos Vs Notre Dame Hounds (If Necessary) Art Hauser Center

Triton
03-25-2007, 11:30 AM
Well I was on one of the two 15 passenger vans that went to Wilcox on Saturday for game 2.The ride home was long after we failed to show up and compete.The Hounds owned us from start to finish,beat us to every puck and with the support of the Hounds fans were able to beat us 5-2.

Hopefully a better game is in the cards for game 3 Monday back at the AHC.

Tough to beat the Hounds in their own building when they haven't lost there yet.The Duncan McNeill Arena is a very nice facility..a nice change from the Jemini.

Triton
03-26-2007, 01:21 PM
Lets pack the AHC for game 3 tonight.I expect a better effort and outcome in tonights game.

Wildeyes
03-29-2007, 02:53 PM
they lost agianst the hounds yesterday They play on Saturday 2pm AHC b4 the raiders HOCKEY DAY IN PA

they lost 6-1

Sabes
03-31-2007, 03:48 PM
Mintos win in OT. Labatte with the goal. Mintos repeat as SMAAAL champs. Now on to regionals.

Triton
03-31-2007, 04:01 PM
That was an awesome game.I think the Hounds are a very good team.Since we beat them I think we can beat just about anyone.

Westbeach,dude I was standing next to you ordering fries...we don't say hi?
just kidding,I don't think you know who I am just yet.

Well,I've booked my seat on the bus to Brandon next weekend.

Good on you Sterling "Sudden death" Labatte. applause

Triton
04-05-2007, 07:00 PM
Well Mintos beat the Thrashers this afternoon 4-2.Roschuk and Slobodian with a goal and a assist each.Chubak played awesome again.Tomorrow at 1:00 the Mintos play the Thunder Bay Kings.

http://www.sureforms.net/viewstats/gamesummary.aspx?game_id=1375

Triton
04-05-2007, 07:14 PM
I still say the two that were called up to the dub should be able to play now that their team is finished

I agree totally.

Sabes
04-06-2007, 08:32 PM
http://www.paherald.sk.ca/index.cfm?sid=21340&sc=5

Mintos now 2-0 at regionals and can finish no further then 2nd so the will be in the finals forsure.

Dwight Schrute
04-06-2007, 10:38 PM
I still say the two that were called up to the dub should be able to play now that their team is finished
graf and hobbs ? why arent they allowed ?

raider guy
04-06-2007, 11:30 PM
Im not sure why Hobbs isnt back but colton graf tore his acl and has had surgery on it and is out for 4-6 months

Dwight Schrute
04-07-2007, 06:45 PM
does anybody have a link to the gamesheets or anything like that from the mintos ? im trying to find out how they are doing.
thanks danno

hobster
04-07-2007, 07:06 PM
you do know the score don't you the minto's won 2-0 today and are in the regional final tomorrow

Wildeyes
04-07-2007, 10:27 PM
http://www.midgetwheatkings.com/regionals/default.aspx?site_id=6

i think that works if not just go to the http://www.midgetwheatkings.com website for the link

raider guy
04-08-2007, 12:42 AM
the mintos won today pretty much playing 3rd and 4th line with goals from brett slobodzian, and Brandon herrod

Sabes
04-08-2007, 10:44 PM
Mintos win 4-3 to advance to the Telus cup for the 2nd straight year. Golas by Laczko, Fiddler, Wrigley and Statchuk.

nivek_wahs
04-09-2007, 04:55 AM
http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/sports/story.html?id=d6028327-8081-4471-a8e9-8424136bb97b

Mintos head west for title defence

Darren Zary, The StarPhoenix
Published: Monday, April 09, 2007
MINTOS 4, WHEAT KINGS 3

A second-straight Telus Cup national championship appearance is just around the bend for the Prince Albert Mintos after they bent, but did not break, in the Western regional final Sunday.

"Cardiac kids, I'm going to start calling them," coach Tim Leonard said on the phone from Brandon, Man., after the team hung on for a 4-3 victory over the host Brandon Wheat Kings.

"We stick to the systems, don't panic, don't become unraveled. We don't start running around. We stay focused."

The Mintos will now focus on defending their national title in Red Deer, Alta., April 23-29.

"It's awesome, two years in a row," said Mintos captain Tommy Brown. "It's just amazing. Bringing along the rookies for the same experience we had last year is awesome. We're all bringing leadership and doing what we did last year.

"This year is a lot better. We had to work a lot harder."

St. Brieux's Lewis Laczko, Prince Albert's Tyler Fiddler and Bienfait's Brennan Wrigley helped the Mintos stake a 3-0 lead in the opening frame. Wrigley scored with just one second left on the clock.

Wadena's Travis Statchuk made it 4-0 for Prince Albert with a power-play goal at 7:58 of the second.

Brandon mounted a heart-pounding comeback.

Goals by Shayne Wiebe and Kory Kimpish, at 19:14 of the second, cut the Mintos lead to 4-2. Wiebe added a second tally 1:25 into the third to make it interesting.

The Wheaties outshot the Mintos 43-29, pulling out all the stops in the third period.

"We just stayed positive, stuck to our systems," said Brown. "We just played it simple and got the job done. Defence first, that's our main motto. Work hard and stay disciplined, too. That's Minto hockey."

The Mintos stood their ground and played it cool.

"We pushed them pretty hard at the start and, credit to them, they pushed back pretty good," said Leonard. "They were in our zone a lot, but our D-zone coverage was very good.

"It's an unbelievable feeling right now, just fabulous. The fans who came to support us were great. The kids are ecstatic. (General manager) Mike (Mazurak) and the rest of us are just happier than words can describe."

Carsen Chubak made 40 saves in the Mintos net. Prince Albert was 2-for-8 on the power play. Brandon was 1-for-7.

"It was harder (this year), just because of the fact that there's the pressure of, yeah, you've got another good team, but to go out and get is done is something else," said Leonard. "Our kids accepted it, took it as a challenge.

"I told them they're one step up on last year's team because we finished first in our league -- last year we didn't do that."

The Mintos are one of six teams at the Telus Cup, joining the host Red Deer Optimist Chiefs and the Pacific champion Vancouver Giants plus three other teams yet to be decided.

"We have 12 days or so to focus on that," said Leonard. "We saw Red Deer at Mac's (Invitational in Calgary) and they've got a helluva club and they'll be playing at home. They'll be tough. The other teams that are going to get there are obviously going to be good hockey teams, too. If you're not there, you don't have any chance. If you're there, you have a chance.

"That's the way we're going to look at it."

dzary@sp.canwest.com

© The StarPhoenix (Saskatoon) 2007

raider guy
04-09-2007, 01:35 PM
This years team has a lot of free agents on it, it will be interesting to see if any of the guys get picked up at seasons end by any dub teams.

Lets go mintos lets make it two in a row boys

hobster
04-09-2007, 04:06 PM
i thought you were fed up with minto talk look way back in this thread you said no minto talk cause this is a raiders board hmmmm kind of starnge if you ask me

raider guy
04-09-2007, 05:07 PM
hmm the raiders are out of the playoffs, pa mintos are still in its hockey why not talk about it?, i was only annoyed by it when it was just crowding the raider board

hobster
04-09-2007, 06:18 PM
Ok i'll let it slide this time haha good luck to the minto's anyway

nivek_wahs
04-20-2007, 04:57 AM
http://www.paherald.sk.ca/index.cfm?sid=23850&sc=5

Mintos gear up to defend to title

NICOLE JOSIN
Herald Staff
19/04/07

Prince Albert Mintos rookie Travis Statchuk just can't help it - he wants a ring of his own.

And he's not the only member of the Saskatchewan Midget Hockey League and regional champions who sees the coveted national title, trophy and jewelry memento within site.

The Mintos leave Sunday for the 2007 Telus Cup, the Canadian midget AAA hockey championship that runs Monday through April 29. The Mintos could be the only team to win back-to-back titles in the 28-year history of the national event. They won in 2006 with a 5-4 triple-overtime victory over the Calgary Buffaloes in Charlottetown, P.E.I.

"I'm happy for what we accomplished this season, but I'm not satisfied until we win," Statchuk said Tuesday before practice. "I want that police escort back into town and I want that ring on my finger."

To give Statchuk and the 20 other Mintos players exactly what they want, it'll take knocking off five other teams: the Vancouver Northwest Giants, host Red Deer Rebels, Sault Ste. Marie North Stars, Seminaire Saint-Francois Blizzard and the St. John's Maple Leafs.

Of the teams, the Mintos have faced only St. John's, in 2006 at the Telus Cup. But no team will be a walk in the park. Red Deer has not lost a game at home and the Maple Leafs are on a 32-game win streak.

"We'll have all of Saskatchewan riding on our shoulder," said Statchuk. "It's pretty amazing that we could be the first team. It could be like a dynasty if next year's team could make a run, too."

Going undefeated at the championship, as the Mintos did in 2006, isn't the only way to bring home the title, said Mintos head coach Tim Leonard. Teams have had a couple of losses in the round robin and still went on to win. The top four teams after round-robin play move on to the semifinals.

The comparisons between the 2007 Mintos and the 2006 squad are easy to see. The team still applies the same work ethic and discipline that made last year's team so popular in Prince Albert.

"As a coaching staff, that is something we have instilled in them and are happy to see they have bought into," said Leonard. "The work and discipline is important; the rest we can teach. The last few practices, I have just sat back and smiled at how far this team has come."

No one could have assumed exactly one year ago the Mintos would be back in this position, but Leonard hadn't written it out of the books.

"It was a goal," said Leonard. "I believe in setting high goals and I want to win every game we play ... we have to go out and give it our best to win.

"If we don't get it done, we know ourselves and our fans will know we gave our best our best."

njosin@paherald.sk.ca

Mintos Fever

The Daily Herald has Mintos Fever for Prince Albert's midget AAA hockey team.

Since the fever over the city's 2006 Telus Cup champions is contagious, the Herald will feature a special page every day the Mintos are in Red Deer, defending the national title next week.

Starting Monday, sports reporter Nicole Josin will be reporting from Red Deer on every aspect of the Mintos' battle for midget hockey supremacy.

Each day, readers can expect Mintos quizzes, player profiles, head-to-head matchups, as well as stories on all games.

For those still burning with the Mintos fever, the Herald's website, at www.paherald.sk.ca, will offer extra Telus Cup features, including blogs from Josin and some of the local players. Fans can send the team well-wishes through the website, too. Just look for the icon.

There will also be video clips from both Mintos and fans.

I want that police escort back into town and I want that ring on my finger.

nivek_wahs
04-23-2007, 04:55 AM
http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/sports/story.html?id=d623b6f8-7389-4321-b2e5-5fcc534e156f

Mintos look for big finish at midget championship
Published: Monday, April 23, 2007
No team has won back-to-back championships in the 28-year history of the national midget hockey championship.

The Prince Albert Mintos are going to try and change that as they begin defence of their Telus Cup championship today in Red Deer, Alta.

"It's sure a good goal to try and aim for, but it's easily said than done," says Mintos head coach Tim Leonard.

The Mintos went 7-0 last year in Charlottetown, P.E.I., on their way to their first championship.

The key to their fortunes, says Leonard, is likely going to be goaltending. Jordan Washburn (2.07 goals-against average, 92.2 save percentage) and Carsen Chubak (2.12 GAA, 91.8 save percentage) were tops in the Saskatchewan Midget AAA Hockey League among netminders. The team led in the league in goals-against, allowing eight goals fewer than the second-place Notre Dame Hounds.

Chubak has been the Mintos' go-to guy in their playoff run, but expect Washburn to also see some action in Red Deer.

"You have to use both," Leonard says. "One guy can't handle seven games. Seven games in a week is a lot.

"We'll probably roll them the first few games to see who's holding the hot hand."

Prince Albert opens the tournament today at noon against the Pacific champion Vancouver Giants. The Mintos play Seminaire St-Franccois Blizzard of Quebec on Tuesday night, the St. John's Maple Leafs on Wednesday afternoon, host Red Deer on Thursday night and wrap up the round-robin Friday afternoon against Sault Ste. Marie, Ont.

"We go morning-night, morning-night, so we're getting some good breaks there," Leonard says.

"We've made some (scouting) calls, but it's tough to get anything on Quebec. I just heard they're good, really skilled and a lot of offensive push out of them. We know Red Deer. We saw them in Calgary (at the Mac's tournament during the Christmas break). They're definitely good. They've got great goaltending, kind of like us. Sault St. Marie, we don't know a whole lot about. St. John's, we saw them last year at the Telus Cup. They're going to be a handful, too."

Health-wise, the Mintos have healed following the grind of the league playoffs and the Western regional tournament at Brandon.

"We're good to go," Leonard says. "This break has been good to us. We had a few guys with some shoulder problems, but they're as good as they're going to get."

dzary@sp.canwest.com

TELUS CUP NATIONAL MIDGET CHAMPIONSHIP

Today through Sunday at Red Deer, Alta.

Atlantic: St. John's Maple Leafs

Quebec: Seminaire St-Franccois Blizzard

Central: Sault Ste. Marie North Stars West: Prince Albert Mintos

Pacific: Vancouver NW Giants

Host: Red Deer Optimist Rebels

P.A. MINTOS SCHEDULE

Games broadcast on 900 CKBI

Today: vs. Vancouver, 12 noon

Tuesday: vs. Seminaire St-Franccois, 7 p.m.

Wednesday: vs. St. John's, 3:30 p.m.

Thursday: vs. Red Deer, 7 p.m.

Friday: vs. Sault. Ste. Marie, 1 p.m.

Saturday: 2 p.m., semifinal, 6 p.m., semifinal

Sunday: 10 a.m., Bronze medal final

2:30 p.m., Gold medal final

Triton
04-23-2007, 09:43 AM
I'm heading out to Red Deer on Thursday for the tournament.

Triton
04-23-2007, 12:32 PM
After 1 the Mintos lead 2-0.Minto goals scored by Jadon Potter on the PP and Brant Henry-Norton.Vancouver made a goaltending change after the 2nd goal.

After 2 it's still Mintos 2-0.Washburn has been exceptional this game.Lets hope he can hang on.

Mintos win the game 2-1.Vancouver scored a late goal and pressured late but Washburn shut the door.Potter hit the post on an empty net.

GO! MINTOS

hannon09
04-23-2007, 04:04 PM
GO MINTOS!!! good luck boys :thumb:

GBG BLEED BLUE
04-23-2007, 07:07 PM
I would think that he has a good chance to make the Blades roster next season. The Blades picked him in the 6th round(120th overall)

Hopefully the Mintos can be repeat champions again this year and that would be huge for everyone on the team.

Triton
04-23-2007, 07:09 PM
I would think that he has a good chance to make the Blades roster next season. The Blades picked him in the 6th round(120th overall)

I imagine he'll be back with the Mintos.

Bruins_Booster
04-23-2007, 09:02 PM
After 1 the Mintos lead 2-0.Minto goals scored by Jadon Potter on the PP and Brant Henry-Norton.Vancouver made a goaltending change after the 2nd goal.

After 2 it's still Mintos 2-0.Washburn has been exceptional this game.Lets hope he can hang on.

Mintos win the game 2-1.Vancouver scored a late goal and pressured late but Washburn shut the door.Potter hit the post on an empty net.

GO! MINTOS

Way to go Mintos! :clap: Great start for Potter! Looking forward to seeing him back in a Bruins jersey again though. Just to get a look at him again, I watched the Web archive of the Bruins vs. Silvertips game. Man, Potter's got speed!

Good luck in game #2! dancing pi

nivek_wahs
04-24-2007, 03:16 AM
http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/sports/story.html?id=779c10eb-f79b-4eb7-96b9-b0ac8ca1e26e

P.A. wins Telus Cup opener
Published: Tuesday, April 24, 2007
MINTOS 2, GIANTS 1

The Prince Albert Mintos were simply glad to get the first game out of the way at the Telus Cup national midget hockey championship at Red Deer, Alta.

With a handful of players battling a stomach ailment and others feeling the jittery effects of some bouncing butterflies in their own nervous stomachs, the Mintos still managed to hang on for a 2-1 victory over the Vancouver Giants in the tournament-opener Monday.

Head coach Tim Leonard and general manager Mike Mazurak were both left feeling a bit nauseous after this one. They were also relieved.

"It was brutal; I don't think we played very good but we can only get better," said Mazurak.

Added Leonard: "We didn't (play that well). We had four guys with the flu and we had no legs. We weren't ourselves, but we found a way to win. Good teams do that. We're happy with the win and, like Mike said, we can only get better.

"We had some guys throwing up (Sunday night) and this morning, so hopefully it will just roll through here and be done with it."

Jadon Potter, with a power-play goal, and Brant Henry-Norton gave Prince Albert a 2-0 lead after one period.

Aaron Klatt replied in the third period for the Giants, who were outshot 35-22. The Mintos held a 13-3 edge in second frame.

Jordan Washburn made 21 saves in Prince Albert's net to record the win.

Defenceman Lewis Laczko, a fourth-round WHL bantam draft pick of the Portland Winter Hawks in 2004, was named player of the game for the Mintos.

"We were kind of nervous coming in because we hadn't played in a couple of weeks," Laczko said. "We came out good in the first, but we started making more mistakes. It certainly wasn't our best effort.

"Washburn played very good today. We got a couple of lucky breaks and capitalized on their mistakes. We got a couple of early goals and that was pretty much it."

The Giants' roster includes 6-foot-1 D-man Stefan Elliott, a first-round WHL bantam pick of the Saskatoon Blades in 2006.

Prince Albert plays the Quebec champion Seminaire St. Francois Blizzard from Ste. Foy tonight at 7 p.m.

"We'll have all day today to sit back, kind of enjoy the atmosphere, have some fun and get a good rest," Leonard said. "Hopefully we'll be a lot better (against Quebec)."

On Wednesday afternoon, the Mintos will meet the Atlantic champion St. John's Maple Leafs. On Thursday night, they're up against the host Red Deer Optimist Chiefs.

In the other game Monday, Michael Trudel, Maxime Gravel and Mike Villeneuve all had two points as the Seminaire Saint-Francois Blizzard opened their Telus Cup with a 3-1 win over the St. John's Maple Leafs.

Villeneuve and Alexandre Chiasson scored on the power play for the Blizzard, who went 2-for-7 with the man advantage.

dzary@sp.canwest.com

Triton
04-24-2007, 09:19 PM
Whew!

Ref sucked something serious,but the Mintos prevailed.

Zookeeper
04-24-2007, 09:47 PM
What was the final score? Do you know who scored for the Mintos?

Sabes
04-24-2007, 10:14 PM
What was the final score? Do you know who scored for the Mintos?

3-1 I think it was Brown, Wrigley and Laczko with the goals.

nivek_wahs
04-25-2007, 12:11 AM
Game 1 Summary...

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.cfm/ci_id/11728/la_id/1/ss_id/22624/game_id/1183.htm

MINTOS HOLD OFF GIANTS

By Kelsie Fraser

The defending champions got the 2007 TELUS Cup started off on the right foot as the Prince Albert Mintos topped the Vancouver North West Giants 2-1 on Monday afternoon in Red Deer, AB.

The Mintos opened the scoring early in the first on a powerplay goal by Jadon Potter, and pushed the lead to two when Brant Henry-Norton capitalized on a bad giveaway by Giants goaltender Kyle Nielsen.

After the second goal, Giants goaltender Graeme Gordon stepped in to replace Nielsen and was solid the rest of the way, not allowing a puck to cross the goal line.

The Giants almost got on the board in the second after a giveaway by Mintos goaltender Jordan Washburn, but the open net was missed and the score remained 2-0 for Prince Albert through 40 minutes.

Gordon was peppered with shots early in the third but managed to hold his team to only a 2-0 deficit.

Aaron Klatt got the Giants to within one at 2-1, scoring with 1:33 remaining on the clock, but the Pacific representatives could not get another puck past Washburn.

The Mintos may have picked up the win, but they feel it definitely wasn’t their best effort.

“We came out a little rusty and that’s one thing that we will really need to improve on for our next game,” said the Mintos’ Lewis Laczko, a member of Prince Albert’s 2006 championship team.

Laczko was named Player of the Game for the Mintos, while Graeme Gordon earned the honour for the Giants.

Game Information
Game Number 01 Round Preliminary
Arena Red Deer Arena City, Country Red Deer, AB , Canada
Month / Day / Year 04/23/2007 Time (local) 12:00 PM
Attendance 526 Game Status Final

Box Score 1 2 3 Final
Prince Albert Mintos(WST) 2 0 0 2
Vancouver NW Giants(PAC) 0 0 1 1

Goals/Penalties
First Period
Goals:
05:32 WST 19 Jadon Potter (4 Lewis Laczko 23 Tyler Fiddler) PP
18:26 WST 16 Brant Henry-Norton

Penalties:
01:43 WST 7 Sterling Labatte (Interference-2 minutes)
04:21 PAC 2 Cole Gelley (Tripping-2 minutes)
08:26 PAC 9 Chris Hoe (Tripping-2 minutes)
19:01 PAC 20 Landon Ferraro (Interference-2 minutes)
20:00 WST 10 Tommy Brown (Roughing-2 minutes)

Second Period
Goals:

Penalties:
18:31 PAC 12 Kevin Smith (Hooking-2 minutes)

Third Period
Goals:
18:27 PAC 14 Aaron Klatt (17 Clinton Atkinson 16 Marko Gordic)

Penalties:
02:54 WST 2 Mitchell Peeke (Hooking-2 minutes)
06:51 WST 23 Tyler Fiddler (Cross Checking-2 minutes)

Goaltenders
Prince Albert Mintos 1 Jordan Washburn On 1/00:00 Off 3/20:00
Vancouver NW Giants 1 Kyle Nielson On 1/00:00 Off 1/18:26
35 Graeme Gordon On 1/18:26 Off 3/18:53

Shots on Goal 1 2 3 Final
Prince Albert Mintos 10 13 12 35
Vancouver NW Giants 7 3 13 23

Player of Game
Prince Albert Mintos 4 Lewis Laczko
Vancouver NW Giants 35 Graeme Gordon

Officials
Referee Lance McKinnon
Lines People Steve Cochrane, Cody Huseby
Goal Judge Don Leitz, Steve Fleming

nivek_wahs
04-25-2007, 12:14 AM
Game 2 Summary...

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.cfm/ci_id/11728/la_id/1/ss_id/22624/game_id/1188.htm

Game Information
Game Number 06 Round Preliminary
Arena Carstairs Memorial Complex City, Country Carstairs, AB , Canada
Month / Day / Year 04/24/2007 Time (local) 19:00 PM
Attendance Game Status Final

Box Score 1 2 3 Final
Séminaire St-François Blizzard(QUE) 0 1 0 1
Prince Albert Mintos(WST) 0 1 2 3

Goals/Penalties
First Period
Goals:

Penalties:
00:33 QUE 56 Dave Labrecque (Cross Checking-2 minutes)
01:23 QUE 52 Mikael Tam (Boarding-2 minutes)
02:33 QUE 41 Michael Trudel (Tripping-2 minutes)
04:20 WST 10 Tommy Brown (Interference-2 minutes)
04:44 WST 4 Lewis Laczko (Tripping-2 minutes)
07:52 WST 10 Tommy Brown (Interference-2 minutes)
16:09 WST 7 Sterling Labatte (Cross Checking-2 minutes)
16:41 QUE 57 Maxime Gravel (Interference-2 minutes)
17:59 QUE 56 Dave Labrecque (Slashing-2 minutes)

Second Period
Goals:
03:24 QUE 41 Michael Trudel (36 David Savard ) PP
10:56 WST 10 Tommy Brown (4 Lewis Laczko ) PP

Penalties:
01:05 WST 23 Tyler Fiddler (Interference-2 minutes)
02:25 WST 7 Sterling Labatte (Roughing-2 minutes)
04:39 QUE 51 Alexandre Bédard (Cross Checking-2 minutes)
08:23 WST 16 Brant Henry-Norton (Interference-2 minutes)
10:20 QUE 47 Guillaume Goulet (Slashing-2 minutes)
11:19 WST 19 Jadon Potter (Interference-2 minutes)
13:55 WST 5 Kirk Mastad (Tripping-2 minutes)
16:21 WST 7 Sterling Labatte (Hooking-2 minutes)
20:00 QUE 55 Alexandre Chiasson (Slashing-2 minutes)

Third Period
Goals:
14:00 WST 9 Ryan Fox (10 Tommy Brown 12 Brennan Wrigley) PP
14:53 WST 4 Lewis Laczko (18 Brett Slobodzian )

Penalties:
00:47 QUE 52 Mikael Tam (Roughing-2 minutes)
00:47 WST 23 Tyler Fiddler (Roughing-2 minutes)
01:39 WST 19 Jadon Potter (Slashing-2 minutes)
03:21 QUE 56 Dave Labrecque (Slashing-2 minutes)
03:21 QUE 56 Dave Labrecque (Game Misconduct-10 minutes)
04:24 QUE 51 Alexandre Bédard (Hooking-2 minutes)
11:02 WST 9 Ryan Fox (Tripping-2 minutes)
13:25 QUE 52 Mikael Tam (Interference-2 minutes)
17:39 WST 10 Tommy Brown (Roughing-2 minutes)

Goaltenders
Séminaire St-François Blizzard 31 Adrien Lemay On 1/00:00 Off 3/20:00

Prince Albert Mintos 35 Carson Chubak On 1/00:00 Off 3/20:00

Séminaire St-François Blizzard 16 15 4 35
Prince Albert Mintos 5 4 17 26

Player of Game
Séminaire St-François Blizzard 36 David Savard
Prince Albert Mintos 35 Carson Chubak

Officials
Referee
Lines People

nivek_wahs
04-25-2007, 04:09 AM
http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/sports/story.html?id=550466f0-fefc-4e22-bc30-c6e70ed837ec

P.A. Mintos cruising along, 2-0 at Telus Cup
Mintos 3, Blizzard 1

Clint Walper, The StarPhoenix
Published: Wednesday, April 25, 2007

The Prince Albert Mintos didn't get the start they wanted, but the end result was exactly what they needed.

After being outshot 16-5 in a sluggish opening period, the Mintos responded with some strong play in the second and third periods en route to a 3-1 win over the Seminaire St. Francois Blizzard from Ste. Foy, Que., in Carstairs, Alta., on Tuesday night. With the win, the Mintos remain undefeated (2-0) at the Telus Cup national midget hockey championship.

"We didn't start out very good, and I don't know if we were in awe of them because we'd heard so much about them, but Carson Chubak played great in the first period and held us in it," said Mintos head coach Tim Leonard.

"In the second period, we started getting going and in the third we took it to them," added Leonard.

The Blizzard opened the scoring at the 3:24 mark of the second, as Michael Trudel scored a power-play goal with a two-man advantage.

Prince Albert drew even with a power-play marker of their own, as Tommy Brown lit the lamp at the 10:56 mark of the second.

The Mintos dominated the third period, outshooting the Quebec champions 18-0 at one point. Their efforts were rewarded in a flurry as Ryan Fox and Lewis Laczko scored just 53 seconds apart with under six minutes remaining to secure the win for the Mintos.

Prince Albert will look for its third straight win when they take on the Atlantic champion St. John's Maple Leafs (0-2) this afternoon in Carstairs.

Thursday night, they'll face the host Red Deer Optimist Rebels (2-0), who dismantled the Maple Leafs 10-0 in the other game Tuesday night. Red Deer outshot the Maple Leafs 49-15, getting a hat trick from Landon Hiebert and a pair from Elliot Marion.

In Tuesday's afternoon game, the Vancouver North West Giants held on for a 2-1 win over the Sault Ste. Marie North Stars to even their record at 1-1.

Vancouver's Landon Ferraro and Matthew Bell staked the Giants to a 2-0 lead by the nine-minute mark, and Graeme Gordon held the fort for Vancouver the rest of the way, stopping 23 shots.

Jarret Burton scored the lone goal for the North Stars, who drop to 0-2. Vancouver outshot Sault Ste. Marie 28-24.

Triton
04-25-2007, 05:43 PM
Mintos win another close one 3-2.Brandon Herrod scores the winner.

Mintos now 3-0 could potentially meet the host Chiefs who could also be 3-0 if they can beat the Vancouver Giants.

nivek_wahs
04-25-2007, 06:58 PM
http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.cfm/ci_id/11728/la_id/1/ss_id/22624/game_id/1189.htm

MINTOS GET SCARE IN WIN OVER MAPLE LEAFS

The Prince Albert Mintos remained perfect at the 2007 TELUS Cup, but just barely, after a tight 3-2 win over the St. John’s Maple Leafs on Wednesday afternoon at Red Deer Arena. The loss dropped the Atlantic Region champions to 0-3.

Brandon Herrod scored the winner for the Mintos midway through the final period, firing a shot short-side past Maple Leafs goaltender Kyle Downer, who made 29 saves in a losing cause.

Although Prince Albert came away with the win and ran their winning streak at the National Midget Championship to 10 games, dating back to 2006, head coach Tim Leonard says he has yet to see the best from his team at this year’s tournament.

“We sure want to live on the edge it seems,” Leonard said following the game. “We’re just not ourselves here, and we’re going to have to figure it out pretty quick. We’re 3-0, but we’re not happy with the way we’ve played.”

Travis Statchuk opened the scoring for Prince Albert, converting a beautiful set-up from Player of the Game Tyler Fiddler just past the midway point of the opening 20 minutes.

The lead as stretched to 2-0 early in the second period after Brennan Wrigley redirected a Tommy Brown shot past Downer. Brown’s shot was going well wide, but Wrigley was able to get the shaft of his stick on the puck.

Vincent Paiement got the Maple Leafs on the board three minutes after Wrigley’s marker, picking the top corner over the glove of Mintos goaltender Jordan Washburn, who stopped 23 shots.

Chad Earle, who was named his team’s Player of the Game, tied it for St. John’s early in the final period before Herrod got the winner for the West Region champions.

The Mintos face their biggest test yet on Thursday night, when they face the host Red Deer Optimist Rebels, while the Maple Leafs travel to Olds, AB on Thursday to face the Sault Ste. Marie North Stars.

Game Information
Game Number 07 Round Preliminary
Month / Day / Year 04/25/2007 Time (local) 03:30 PM MST
Attendance 676 Game Status Final

Box Score 1 2 3 Final
Prince Albert Mintos(WST) 1 1 1 3
St. John's Maple Leafs(ATL) 0 1 1 2

Goals/Penalties
First Period
Goals:
12:13 WST 20 Travis Statchuk (23 Tyler Fiddler 14 Brandon Herrod)

Penalties:
00:37 WST 18 Brett Slobodzian (Interference-2 minutes)
03:39 ATL 27 Mike King (Tripping-2 minutes)
14:31 WST 21 Torey Stott (Holding Opp. Stick-2 minutes)
16:49 ATL 25 Brandon McDonald (Hooking-2 minutes)
20:00 ATL 15 Chad Earle (Slashing-2 minutes)

Second Period
Goals:
03:43 WST 12 Brennan Wrigley (10 Tommy Brown 11 Curtis Kulchar) PP
06:38 ATL 23 Vincent Paiement (20 Travis Randell )

Penalties:
02:07 ATL 1 Kyle Downer (Slashing-2 minutes)
11:28 ATL 25 Brandon McDonald (Roughing-2 minutes)
14:23 WST 20 Travis Statchuk (Slashing-2 minutes)
14:23 WST 20 Travis Statchuk (Unsportsmanlike Cnd.-2 minutes)
15:27 ATL 2 Jeff MacRoberts (Interference-2 minutes)

Third Period
Goals:
04:57 ATL 15 Chad Earle (4 Alex Wall )
10:23 WST 14 Brandon Herrod (23 Tyler Fiddler )

Penalties:
01:37 ATL 11 Chris Thorne (Holding-2 minutes)
05:58 WST 21 Torey Stott (High Sticking-2 minutes)
07:40 ATL 9 Jeremy Barron (Cross Checking-2 minutes)
14:56 WST 14 Brandon Herrod (Elbowing-2 minutes)
19:05 ATL 9 Jeremy Barron (Roughing-2 minutes)

Goaltenders
St. John's Maple Leafs 1 Kyle Downer On 1/00:00 Off 3/20:00

Prince Albert Mintos 10 11 11 32
St. John's Maple Leafs 7 7 11 25

Officials
Referee Cory Moser

Lines People Cody Huseby, Brad Yoshida
Goal Judge Graham Moore, Mark Holloway

nivek_wahs
04-26-2007, 04:06 AM
http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/sports/story.html?id=c3f560f8-4beb-4357-b10b-82488368b7f3

Coach not happy with undefeated Mintos

Clint Walper, The Star Phoenix
Published: Thursday, April 26, 2007
MINTOS 3, MAPLE LEAFS 2

With three wins in three days under their belts at the Telus Cup national midget hockey championship, it would seem that the defending champion Prince Albert Mintos are right where they want to be. Not so, according to head coach Tim Leonard.

"We started good, but then we kind of backed off and we're still not playing the way we can play," said a frustrated Leonard following the Mintos 3-2 win over the St. Johns's Maple Leafs in Red Deer, Alta., on Wednesday.

"We're trying to figure out what it is, whether it's nerves or pressure, or maybe we think we're better than we are, but we have to get it figured out here soon or we won't keep going," said Leonard.

Prince Albert started strong on Wednesday, as forward Travis Statchuk opened the scoring at the 12:13 mark of the first period. Brennan Wrigley gave the Mintos a two-goal cushion early in the second period, scoring a power-play goal just under four minutes into the middle frame.

Cue the frustration for coach Leonard, who saw his team squander the lead as the Maple Leafs drew even on a second period goal by Vincent Paiement and an early third-period marker by Chad Earle.

Prince Albert's Brandon Herrod salvaged the win for the Mintos, scoring the game winner on a short-side shot at the 10:23 mark of the third period on Maple Leafs goaltender Kyle Downer. Jordan Washburn made 23 saves for the Mintos, who outshot St. John's 32-25.

The Mintos sit atop the standings with six points, which all but guarantees them a spot in Saturday's semifinals, but must improve if they hope to become the first team to win back-to-back national championships in the tournament's 29-year history.

"Our work ethic has been our ticket for the past three years and in these three games, we go in spurts, but that won't get it done for us against the top teams," said Leonard.

The true measuring stick should come today, when Prince Albert takes on the host Red Deer Optimist Rebels, who also sit undefeated at 3-0.

"They've got a good team, nothing fancy, but they roll four lines and use all six defenceman and they've got good goaltending, so they're going to be a handful," said Leonard.

"And you know what, that might be what we need. The rink will be packed and it'll be alive in there, so maybe that will kick us in the rear and get us going."

Prince Albert will finish up round-robin play on Friday afternoon against the Sault Ste. Marie North Stars.

In the other games Wednesday, the host Optimist Rebels remain undefeated after beating the Vancouver NW Giants 5-0. Kyle Reynolds led the way for the Rebels with two goals. Marc Boulanger stopped 23 shots for Red Deer, who fired 47 shots on Vancouver netminders Graeme Gordon and Kyle Nelson. Vancouver (1-2) will face Seminaire St. Francois Blizzard today.

The Blizzard picked up their second win of the tournament, beating the Sault Ste. Marie North Stars by a 7-0. Sebastian Trudeau picked up two goals and three assists for the Blizzard, while David Savard scored twice and added an assist.

nivek_wahs
04-27-2007, 01:36 AM
http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.cfm/ci_id/11728/la_id/1/ss_id/22624/game_id/1193.html

Red Deer Optimist Rebels 0 - Prince Albert Mintos 2

MINTOS PLAY STREAK-BUSTERS IN WIN OVER OPTIMIST REBELS

After 207:34 of shutout hockey, someone finally got to Marc Boulanger and the Red Deer Optimist Rebels.

Tyler Fiddler scored the first goal on Boulanger and the Optimist Rebels at the 2007 TELUS Cup, converting on a powerplay close to the midway point of the second period in what ended up as a 2-0 win for the Prince Albert Mintos on Thursday night.

In addition to snapping Boulanger’s shutout streak, the Mintos also snapped Red Deer’s 27-game home-ice winning streak, handing the tournament hosts their first loss at Red Deer Arena since the 2006 Alberta Midget Hockey League playoffs.

After a scoreless opening 20 minutes, Fiddler took a pass from Brandon Herrod and beat a stretching Boulanger for the game’s first goal.

Mitchell Peeke got the insurance goal for the West Region champions eight minutes later, tipping a Herrod shot through the legs of Boulanger. Fiddler picked up his second point of the game with an assist on the goal.

The Mintos extremely aggressive forecheck was present up until midway through the third period, when they dropped back to protect the lead.

The Optimist Rebels failed generate any sustained momentum, and the Mintos aggressive forecheck and physical presence enabled them to get the all-important two points.??That was us (on the ice tonight),” said Mintos head coach Tim Leonard following his team’s 11th consecutive win at the National Midget Championship, dating back to last year. “When we play like that, you can see the results. I am extremely proud of out boys for the way they played tonight. This is a tough building.”

Prince Albert goaltender Carsen Chubak was named his team’s Player of the Game after stealing the show with a 24-save shutout. Defenseman Kaare Odegard, who was a physical presence all night, picked up the honour for the Optimist Rebels.

The Mintos will look to wrap up their second consecutive perfect round-robin at the TELUS Cup when they face the winless Sault Ste. Marie North Stars on Friday afternoon, while the Optimist Rebels face the Séminaire Saint-François Blizzard on Friday night, in what will be a battle for semi-final positioning.

Game Information
Game Number 11 Round Preliminary
Month / Day / Year 04/26/2007 Time (local) 07:00 PM MST
Attendance 1690 Game Status Final

Box Score 1 2 3 Final
Red Deer Optimist Rebels(HST) 0 0 0 0
Prince Albert Mintos(WST) 0 2 0 2

Goals/Penalties
First Period
Goals:

Penalties:
01:01 HST 7 Colin Archer (Cross Checking-2 minutes)
03:08 HST 17 John Digness (Roughing-2 minutes)
03:08 WST 4 Lewis Laczko (Roughing-2 minutes)
03:08 WST 2 Mitchell Peeke (Roughing-2 minutes)
08:49 WST 16 Brant Henry-Norton (Unsportsmanlike Cnd.-2 minutes)
08:49 HST 4 Casey Mitchell (Unsportsmanlike Cnd.-2 minutes)
09:05 HST 21 Dallas Goodrunning (Boarding-2 minutes)
09:05 HST 21 Dallas Goodrunning (Unsportsmanlike Cnd.-2 minutes)
09:05 WST 11 Curtis Kulchar (Unsportsmanlike Cnd.-2 minutes)
09:23 HST 3 Jeff Einhorn (Unsportsmanlike Cnd.-2 minutes)
13:11 WST 10 Tommy Brown (Holding-2 minutes)
14:32 WST 7 Sterling Labatte (Hooking-2 minutes)
17:34 HST 16 Cass Mappin (Roughing-2 minutes)
18:07 HST 17 John Digness (Interference-2 minutes)
18:38 HST 5 Kaare Odegard (Roughing-2 minutes)

Second Period
Goals:
07:34 WST 23 Tyler Fiddler (20 Travis Statchuk 14 Brandon Herrod) PP
15:48 WST 2 Mitchell Peeke (23 Tyler Fiddler 14 Brandon Herrod)

Penalties:
02:27 WST 14 Brandon Herrod (Slashing-2 minutes)
03:23 HST 21 Dallas Goodrunning (Hooking-2 minutes)
05:49 HST 21 Dallas Goodrunning (Elbowing-2 minutes)
10:25 HST 21 Dallas Goodrunning (Hooking-2 minutes)
18:54 WST 23 Tyler Fiddler (Holding-2 minutes)

Third Period
Goals:

Penalties:
02:07 WST 9 Ryan Fox (Slashing-2 minutes)
12:21 HST 16 Cass Mappin (Checking to the head-2 minutes)
12:21 HST 16 Cass Mappin (Game Misconduct-10 minutes)

Goaltenders
Red Deer Optimist Rebels 1 Marc Boulanger On 1/00:00 Off 3/20:00

Red Deer Optimist Rebels 9 10 6 25
Prince Albert Mintos 8 16 2 26

Player of Game
Red Deer Optimist Rebels 5 Kaare Odegard
Prince Albert Mintos 35 Carson Chubak

Officials
Referee Greg Sarauer
Lines People Mark Woytkiw, Dustin Zelenak
Goal Judge Gerry Paquette, Gerry Winina

Dwight Schrute
04-27-2007, 03:12 AM
cass mappin could play in aaa still ? he played a good chunk of the year in red deer with the rebels (and even fought theran yeo_

nivek_wahs
04-27-2007, 03:16 AM
cass mappin could play in aaa still ? he played a good chunk of the year in red deer with the rebels (and even fought theran yeo_He's only a 16 year old (1990)... In all actuality he could play AAA next year as a 17 year old.

nivek_wahs
04-27-2007, 03:17 AM
http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/sports/story.html?id=dc6e292c-db50-490f-8082-6fb29f2cc142

Unbeaten Mintos flying high at Telus Cup
Mintos 2, Red Deer 0

Clint Walper, The StarPhoenix
Published: Friday, April 27, 2007

There was much at stake as the Prince Albert Mintos and the host Red Deer Optimist Rebels took to the ice at the Telus Cup national midget hockey championship in Red Deer on Thursday night. Prince Albert had won 10 straight games at the championship tournament, going back to last year's perfect 7-0 record, while Red Deer had won a mind-boggling 27 straight games on home ice.

The result? Make it 11 straight wins for the Mintos, who blanked the Optimist Rebels 2-0 in front of 1,690 rowdy hometown fans in Red Deer. With the win, Prince Albert moves to 4-0 and guarantees themselves a top-place finish in the standings heading into Saturday's semifinals.

"I'm extremely pleased, and it was good to see the boys relax a little bit. We played a heck of a game and it was just a great hockey game out there. They've got a heck of a club, but I think our work ethic prevailed and hopefully we can carry that on," said head coach Tim Leonard.

After three sub-par efforts that left much to be desired for the defending Telus Cup champions, Thursday night was an important stepping stone for the Mintos, who will face the Sault Ste. Marie North Stars today in their final round-robin game.

"We were happy that we were 3-0, but the guys weren't happy with their play and they knew it, so it was a matter of relaxing and playing our style and they did a fantastic job of it," said Leonard.

The teams played a scrappy, penalty-filled first period, combining for 30 minutes in penalties and no goals.

Prince Albert broke through at the 7:34 mark of the second period, as Tyler Fiddler notched a power-play goal. Mitchell Peeke upped the lead to 2-0 at the 15:48 mark, scoring at even-strength from Fiddler and Brandon Herrod, who assisted on both goals.

Netminder Carson Chubak stopped 25 shots for the shutout and a committed defence did the rest as Prince Albert held Red Deer to just six third-period shots.

"The whole team played a great game, we played great defence. We got a couple of lucky bounces, which you always need, but overall the team played a lot better tonight and hopefully we can keep that up," said Chubak.

Thursday night's other game saw the St. John's Maple Leafs pick up their first win, beating Sault Ste. Marie 4-1. Mike King led the Maple Leafs with two goals, while Jeremy Barron and Vincent Palement added singles. Jerry Petingalo replied for the North Stars, who drop to 0-4.

In afternoon action Thursday, the Vancouver North West Giants picked up their second win of the tournament, knocking off the Seminaire St. Francois Blizzard 4-1. The win all but assures the Giants a semifinal berth on Saturday.

Vancouver netminder Kyle Nielsen made 39 saves for Vancouver and was named the player of the game.

Clinton Atkinson, Landon Ferraro, Stefan Elliot and Shane Harle scored for the Giants.

Jonathan Hazen replied for the Blizzard, who fell to 2-2 and into a third-place tie with the Giants in the standings.

The Blizzard will face the host Optimist Rebels tonight, while Vancouver will travel to Carstairs, Alta., to finish up the round robin against St. John's.

nivek_wahs
04-28-2007, 08:01 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=114aa97d-5e59-46a2-9a39-9b26e2ea0af2

Mintos keep perfect record

Clint Walper, Saskatchewan News Network; CanWest News Service
Published: Saturday, April 28, 2007
So far, so perfect.

In a game that meant nothing in the standings, the Prince Albert Mintos kept their unblemished record intact with a 4-1 win over the Sault Ste. Marie North Stars in Red Deer on Friday afternoon.

The victory gives Prince Albert 12 straight wins in the past two years at the Telus Cup national midget AAA hockey championship, including a sparkling 5-0 record in the round-robin this year.

"We played OK today, but we basically just wanted to use everybody to try and stay as well-rested as possible," said head coach Tim Leonard, whose Mintos face the Quebec champion Seminaire St. Francois Blizzard this afternoon in one of two semifinal matchups.

Although the unbeaten streak is a nice feather in the defending Telus Cup champion's cap, the coaching staff was simply glad to finish the game Friday healthy.

"They had nothing to lose, and it was a little dirty at times, so we wanted to make sure we didn't get any injuries," said Leonard. "We spread the ice time out and escaped without anybody getting banged up too bad, so it worked out pretty good."

Prince Albert's lethal power play was the difference as it scored all four goals with the man advantage. Travis Statchuk opened the scoring at 5:06 of the first period, pouncing on a loose puck after a goalmouth scramble and putting it past North Stars netminder Thomas Gravelines.

Sault Ste. Marie evened the score with a power-play marker of its own as Kevin Closs scored just under four minutes into the second period. Mitchell Peeke gave the Mintos a one-goal cushion heading into the third period, scoring at the 14:23 mark from Statchuk and Tyler Fiddler.

Shay Neufeld and Ryan Fox added third-period insurance goals for Prince Albert, which was outshot 36-24. Forward Jadon Potter was named the player of the game for the Mintos.

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007

nivek_wahs
04-28-2007, 08:05 AM
http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.cfm/ci_id/11728/la_id/1/ss_id/22624/game_id/1195.htm

PERFECT AGAIN – MINTOS WRAP UP UNDEFEATED ROUND ROBIN

Five games, five wins – the Prince Albert Mintos are perfect once again in the round robin at the TELUS Cup after a 4-1 win over the Sault Ste. Marie North Stars on Friday afternoon at Red Deer Arena.

Travis Statchuk scored powerplay goals in each of the first two periods and Shay Neufeld and Ryan Fox added goals with the man advantage in the final 20 minutes as the Mintos used a lethal powerplay to stop to Central Region champions.

Statchuk got Prince Albert on the board early in the opening period, capitalizing after a scramble in front of North Stars goaltender Thomas Gravelines.

After Kevin Closs tied it for Sault Ste. Marie early in period two on another powerplay, Statchuk’s powerplay point shot eluded Gravelines, giving the Mintos the lead for good.

Neufeld and Fox rounded out the scoring in the third period, giving the West Region champions their 12th consecutive win at the National Midget Championship while sending the North Stars to their 15th straight loss, dating back to 1999.

Despite the loss, Sault Ste. Marie head coach Mike Hall was impressed with his team’s performance.

“We could not be prouder of the way our kids played today,” Hall said following the loss. “They had absolutely nothing to play for, we were already eliminated, and they came out and played as hard as they could.”

Jadon Potter picked up the Player of the Game award for the Mintos, while Jerry Petingalo took home the honour for the second straight game for the North Stars.

Prince Albert will now wait for the result of the two Friday night games before finding out who they will take on in Saturday’s semi-final.

- - -

Game Information
Game Number 13 Round Preliminary
Month / Day / Year 04/27/2007 Time (local) 01:00 PM MST
Attendance 1189 Game Status Final

Box Score 1 2 3 Final
Sault Ste. Marie North Stars(CEN) 0 1 0 1
Prince Albert Mintos(WST) 1 1 2 4

Goals/Penalties
First Period
Goals:
05:06 WST 20 Travis Statchuk (14 Brandon Herrod 5 Kirk Mastad) PP

Penalties:
00:58 CEN 6 Josh Cerasuolo (Hooking-2 minutes)
03:23 CEN 3 Bronson Kovacs (Tripping-2 minutes)
07:49 CEN 6 Josh Cerasuolo (Roughing-2 minutes)
07:49 WST 17 Shay Neufeld (Roughing-2 minutes)
10:46 CEN 4 Kevin Closs (Holding-2 minutes)
11:07 WST 9 Ryan Fox (Elbowing-2 minutes)
13:49 CEN 19 Mike Rivard (Elbowing-2 minutes)
14:41 WST 10 Tommy Brown (Penalty Shot-0 minutes)
16:31 WST 17 Shay Neufeld (Holding-2 minutes)

Second Period
Goals:
03:32 CEN 4 Kevin Closs (3 Bronson Kovacs ) PP
14:23 WST 2 Mitchell Peeke (20 Travis Statchuk 23 Tyler Fiddler) PP

Penalties:
02:09 WST 7 Sterling Labatte (Slashing-2 minutes)
04:52 WST 23 Tyler Fiddler (Roughing-2 minutes)
05:48 CEN 11 Micky Sartoretto (Slashing-2 minutes)
09:08 CEN 12 Drew McMillan (Boarding-2 minutes)
09:08 CEN Team (Bench - Coach-2 minutes)
09:56 CEN 6 Josh Cerasuolo (Roughing-2 minutes)
09:56 WST 14 Brandon Herrod (Slashing-2 minutes)
10:46 CEN 19 Mike Rivard (High Sticking-2 minutes)
12:31 CEN 3 Bronson Kovacs (Hooking-2 minutes)
15:06 WST 3 Tyson Newell (High Sticking-2 minutes)
19:52 WST 9 Ryan Fox (Kneeing-2 minutes)

Third Period
Goals:
11:50 WST 17 Shay Neufeld (14 Brandon Herrod 10 Tommy Brown) PP
18:18 WST 9 Ryan Fox (10 Tommy Brown 19 Jadon Potter) PP

Penalties:
07:44 WST 16 Brant Henry-Norton (Interference-2 minutes)
10:49 CEN 5 Chris Hales (Roughing-2 minutes)
11:37 CEN 15 Kevin Mills (Cross Checking-2 minutes)
13:25 WST 12 Brennan Wrigley (Tripping-2 minutes)
14:57 CEN 5 Chris Hales (Roughing-2 minutes)
16:21 CEN 10 Matt Amadio (Hooking-2 minutes)

Goaltenders
Sault Ste. Marie North Stars 1 Thomas Gravelines On 1/00:00 Off 3/20:00

Sault Ste. Marie North Stars 11 10 15 36
Prince Albert Mintos 10 6 8 24

Player of Game
Sault Ste. Marie North Stars 21 Jerry Petingalo
Prince Albert Mintos 19 Jadon Potter

Officials
Referee Cory Moser
Lines People Scott Sharun, Mark Woytkiw
Goal Judge Graham Moore, Gerry Winina

nivek_wahs
04-29-2007, 07:50 AM
http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.cfm/ci_id/11728/la_id/1/ss_id/22624/game_id/1198.htm

Séminaire St-François Blizzard 2 - Prince Albert Mintos 4

MINTOS TO PLAY FOR NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP AGAIN

The Prince Albert Mintos have clinched their second consecutive berth in the gold medal game at the TELUS Cup after a 4-2 semi-final win over the Séminaire Saint-François Blizzard on Saturday afternoon.

The Blizzard came out flying to open the first period, putting pressure on the Mintos and goaltender Carsen Chubak. But it was only a matter of time before the West Region champions got control of their nerves and began to skate like the only unbeaten team at the tournament.

“One of our main goals, as a team, was to wear them down on the forecheck,” said Jadon Potter, who was named Player of the Game after a two-goal effort. “We put pressure on them, made them make quick decisions, and they made a few mistakes.”

Potter got the Mintos on the board first, firing a shot past a screened Adrien Lemay just past the eight-minute mark of the opening period.

They then added another at 1:03 of the second when Ryan Fox sprung Travis Statchuk for a breakaway. Statchuk went high to the blocker side of Lemay to make it a 2-0 game.

The Blizzard, however, refused to go away, scoring their first of the game on the powerplay after a scramble in front of the Prince Albert goal. Sebastien Trudeau put the puck past a sprawling Chubak, giving his team life just 54 seconds after Statchuk’s goal.

Saint-François pulled even less than five minutes later on another man advantage, as Maxime Gravel finished off a beautiful tic-tac-toe passing play, with Trudeau and Jonathan Hazen picking up helpers.

Potter got the eventual game-winner six minutes later, finishing off a two-on-one with Brennan Wrigley for his second goal of the game.

The Blizzard threw everything they had at Chubak and the Mintos in the final 20 minutes, but the defending national champions would not be denied a second consecutive appearance in the championship game, and Tyler Fiddler sealed it with an empty-net goal with just 16 seconds to go, running the Mintos’ winning streak at the TELUS Cup to 13 games.

Guillaume Goulet was named Player of the Game for the Blizzard, who will play for bronze on Sunday morning against the loser of Saturday’s second semi-final.

- - -

Game Information
Game Number 16 Round Semi-Final
Month / Day / Year 04/28/2007 Time (local) 02:00 PM MST
Attendance 1575 Game Status Final

Box Score 1 2 3 Final
Séminaire St-François Blizzard(QUE) 0 2 0 2
Prince Albert Mintos(WST) 1 2 1 4

Goals/Penalties
First Period
Goals:
08:05 WST 19 Jadon Potter (9 Ryan Fox )

Penalties:
09:24 QUE 47 Guillaume Goulet (Hooking-2 minutes)
17:17 QUE 43 Francis Beaumont (Roughing-2 minutes)
19:24 WST 10 Tommy Brown (Roughing-2 minutes)

Second Period
Goals:
01:03 WST 20 Travis Statchuk (9 Ryan Fox )
01:57 QUE 46 Sébastien Trudeau (48 Tommy Déry )
06:23 QUE 57 Maxime Gravel (44 Jonathan Hazen 46 Sébastien Trudeau) PP
08:14 WST 19 Jadon Potter (12 Brennan Wrigley 9 Ryan Fox)

Penalties:
04:44 WST 2 Mitchell Peeke (Hooking-2 minutes)
05:58 WST 10 Tommy Brown (Hooking-2 minutes)
10:19 WST 4 Lewis Laczko (Interference-2 minutes)
17:32 QUE 37 Frédérick Roy (Major-Check/behind-5 minutes)
17:32 QUE 41 Michael Trudel (Roughing-2 minutes)
17:32 WST 10 Tommy Brown (Roughing-2 minutes)
17:32 QUE 37 Frédérick Roy (Game Misconduct-10 minutes)

Third Period
Goals:
19:44 WST 23 Tyler Fiddler (14 Brandon Herrod ) EN

Penalties:
17:32 WST 23 Tyler Fiddler (Roughing-2 minutes)
18:17 WST 4 Lewis Laczko (Slashing-2 minutes)

Goaltenders
Séminaire St-François Blizzard 31 Adrien Lemay On 1/00:00 Off 3/19:32
31 Adrien Lemay On 3/19:44 Off 3/20:00

Séminaire St-François Blizzard 6 13 9 28
Prince Albert Mintos 7 7 8 22

Player of Game
Séminaire St-François Blizzard 47 Guillaume Goulet
Prince Albert Mintos 19 Jadon Potter

Officials
Referee Greg Sarauer
Lines People Darren Spurgeon, Cody Huseby
Goal Judge Steve Fleming, Gerry Winina

WestLEAFfan
04-29-2007, 08:37 AM
When is the Telus Cup final? Will it be televised on TSN or Sportsnet? :confused:

nivek_wahs
04-29-2007, 08:46 AM
When is the Telus Cup final? Will it be televised on TSN or Sportsnet? :confused: TSN... 2:30pm MT www.tsn.ca

Sabes
04-29-2007, 03:13 PM
2-0 after the 1st. Nice breakaway goal by Fiddler on the 2nd goal.

Sabes
04-29-2007, 05:24 PM
2-2 going into the 2nd O.T.

nivek_wahs
04-29-2007, 05:32 PM
Mintos are back-to-back Champions!

westbeach55
04-29-2007, 05:38 PM
Mintos are back-to-back Champions!

who scored

Sabes
04-29-2007, 05:39 PM
Ryan Fox. Thanks a lot TSN for switching a 2nd overtime national championship for a Raptors pre-game.

Dwight Schrute
04-29-2007, 05:41 PM
the hit by wrigley was a thing of beauty

Sabes
04-29-2007, 05:46 PM
the hit by wrigley was a thing of beauty

yup if the other kid wasn't so short it wouldn't have been a head shot either

Zookeeper
04-29-2007, 05:46 PM
Congratulations Mintos on your repeat.

raider guy
04-29-2007, 06:42 PM
personally i think that in canada hockey should come before basketball , it may be different in the states but in canada hockey should get the airtime even if it is midget AAA that was brutal for tsn to cut it out and go to a channel some people dont get , i had to watch the rest of the game on the live feed on tsn.ca, besides who watches basketball anyways?

nivek_wahs
04-29-2007, 07:04 PM
http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.cfm/ci_id/11728/la_id/1/ss_id/22624/game_id/1201.htm

Game Information
Game Number 19 Round Gold Medal
Arena Enmax Centrium City, Country Red Deer, AB , Canada
Month / Day / Year 04/29/2007 Time (local) 02:30 PM MST
Attendance 4423 Game Status Final in 2nd Overtime

Box Score 1 2 3 OT Final
Red Deer Optimist Rebels(HST) 0 1 1 0 2
Prince Albert Mintos(WST) 2 0 0 1 3

Goals/Penalties
First Period
Goals:
02:03 WST 11 Curtis Kulchar (19 Jadon Potter ) PP
09:51 WST 23 Tyler Fiddler (14 Brandon Herrod )

Penalties:
01:23 HST 21 Dallas Goodrunning (Charging-2 minutes)
03:26 WST 18 Brett Slobodzian (Tripping-2 minutes)
07:20 WST 4 Lewis Laczko (Roughing-2 minutes)
13:13 HST 15 Erik Slemp (Holding-2 minutes)

Second Period
Goals:
06:11 HST 2 Darren Windle (15 Erik Slemp )

Penalties:
07:20 HST 10 Corey Campbell (Inter. on Goaltender-2 minutes)
13:08 HST 17 John Digness (Holding-2 minutes)
16:08 WST 11 Curtis Kulchar (Cross Checking-2 minutes)
19:27 HST 6 Trevor Bauer (Cross Checking-2 minutes)

Third Period
Goals:
09:41 HST 7 Colin Archer (20 Kyle Reynolds )

Penalties:
03:52 WST 12 Brennan Wrigley (Major-Charging-5 minutes)
03:52 WST 12 Brennan Wrigley (Game Misconduct-10 minutes)
03:52 WST 12 Brennan Wrigley (Unsportsmanlike Cnd.-2 minutes)
03:52 HST 16 Cass Mappin (Unsportsmanlike Cnd.-2 minutes)
09:55 HST 3 Jeff Einhorn (Hooking-2 minutes)
15:34 WST 20 Travis Statchuk (Boarding-2 minutes)

Overtime
Goals:
Prince Albert Mintos, 9 Ryan Fox (21 Torey Stott )

Penalties:

Goaltenders
Red Deer Optimist Rebels 1 Marc Boulanger On 1/00:00 Off 4/10:00
1 Marc Boulanger On 5/00:00 Off 5/00:48
Prince Albert Mintos 35 Carson Chubak On 1/00:00 Off 4/10:00
35 Carson Chubak On 5/00:00 Off 5/00:48

Shots on Goal 1 2 3 OT Final
Red Deer Optimist Rebels 10 11 10 2 33
Prince Albert Mintos 10 7 11 8 36

Player of Game
Red Deer Optimist Rebels 1 Marc Boulanger
Prince Albert Mintos 9 Ryan Fox

Officials
Referee Greg Sarauer
Lines People Cody Huseby, Steve Cochrane
Goal Judge Albert Wandler, Don Lutz

higgins41
04-29-2007, 07:58 PM
personally i think that in canada hockey should come before basketball , it may be different in the states but in canada hockey should get the airtime even if it is midget AAA that was brutal for tsn to cut it out and go to a channel some people dont get , i had to watch the rest of the game on the live feed on tsn.ca, besides who watches basketball anyways?

I guarantee you more people watched the raptors game than the midget aaa final. Even though they did get blown-out, TSN would have gotten a huge uproar if they didn't go to the basketball game. If it was an NHL game going into OT though they would stick with hockey until its over.

Sabes
04-29-2007, 08:05 PM
It's sad that the Minto game finished before the Raptors game even started

raider guy
04-29-2007, 08:09 PM
yeah , wasnt it only the raptors pregame.

Wildeyes
04-29-2007, 09:11 PM
Email TSN bout it if tsn doesnt care bout hockey canada and canadian Championship maybe HC should talk to sportsnet bout doing it from now on

nivek_wahs
04-30-2007, 12:35 AM
I was able to watch the end of the game on TSN's alternate feed (broadband on their website) so I was lucky enough that I didn't miss any action.

nivek_wahs
04-30-2007, 12:35 AM
http://www.paherald.sk.ca/index.cfm?sid=25924&sc=5

Mintos win three awards at Telus Cup
Last updated at 6:02 PM on 28/04/07

The Prince Albert Daily Herald

The Prince Albert Minto players were rewarded for their undefeated 5-0 record at the 2007 Telus Cup Friday night at the awards banquet.
The Mintos stole three of the seven awards handed out.
Carsen Chubak was named the tournament’s top goaltender. Tyler Fiddler was given the top forward title, last season won by former Minto Matt Robertson, and Lewis Laczko was named top defenceman.
Other awards went to: Red Deer’s Marc Boulanger was named MVP, most sportsmanlike went to Matthew Bell of the Vancouver Giants, top scorer was Kyle Reynolds of the Rebels and Jamie Leveille from Vancouver won the Esso Scholarship.

Triton
04-30-2007, 01:20 PM
Players and who owns their rights

Washburn-Melfort Mustangs (SJHL)
Peeke-N.D Hounds (SJHL)
Newell-M.H Tigers (WHL)
Laczko-Nipawin Hawks (SJHL)
Mastad-Melville Millionaires (SJHL)
Labatte-Prince Albert Raiders (WHL),Weyburn Red Wings (SJHL)
Roschuk-Melfort Mustangs (SJHL)
Fox-Calgary Hitmen (WHL)
Brown-Nipawin Hawks (SJHL)
Kulchar-Regina Pats (WHL)
Wrigley-Estevan Bruins (SJHL)
Herrod-Prince Albert Raiders (WHL)
Prokopetz-Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL)
Henry-Norton-Saskatoon Blades (WHL)
Neufeld-Melfort Mustangs (SJHL)
Slobodzian-Melfort Mustangs (SJHL)
Potter-Chilliwack Bruins (WHL)
Statchuk-Nipawin Hawks (SJHL)
Stott-N/A
Bannerman(Got kicked off the team)-La Ronge Ice Wolves (SJHL)
Fiddler-Calgary Hitmen (WHL),La Ronge Ice Wolves (SJHL)
Chubak-S.C Broncos (WHL),Flin Flon Bombers (SJHL)

raider guy
04-30-2007, 04:06 PM
yeah you should post those pics love to see them. how many minto fans made the trek down to red deer for the final on sunday?

Triton
04-30-2007, 04:20 PM
yeah you should post those pics love to see them. how many minto fans made the trek down to red deer for the final on sunday?

About 125 of us all stayed at the Travel lodge,about 5 minutes from the Red Deer arena.

Triton
04-30-2007, 07:06 PM
I'll post the pictures either tonight or tomorrow.I took some more of teh rally today at the South Hill Mall so I'll post those too for those who couldn't make it.

nivek_wahs
05-01-2007, 12:57 AM
http://www.paherald.sk.ca/index.cfm?sid=26241&sc=5

Last updated at 9:51 AM on 30/04/07
Historic moment
Mintos defend Telus Cup title

NICOLE JOSIN
Herald Staff

Not only did the Prince Albert Mintos win a national championship Sunday afternoon - but they made history, too.

The Mintos are the first team in the 29-year Telus Cup history to win the championship in back-to-back years, notching a 3-2 double-overtime win over the host Red Deer Optimist Rebels at the Red Deer Enmax Centrium. Last season, in Charlottetown, the Mintos won 5-4 in triple overtime against the Calgary Buffaloes.

It is the third year in a row that Saskatchewan has won the national midget crown. The Saskatoon Contacts did it in 2005.

"(The players) have such a strong work ethic and discipline," Mintos head coach Tim Leonard said as he beamed with pride. "They refuse to give up and the credit really goes to these boys."

The Mintos broke out to an early 2-0 lead, scoring two goals in the first period, one off of Curtis Kulch's stick and the other by Tyler Fiddler. But the Rebels were able to beat Carsen Chubak twice tying the game and sending it into sudden death overtime.

"It was basically deja vu," said Mintos veteran Ryan Fox. "I didn't want our season to end badly and I knew we had to get a goal as soon as possible. I wanted to feel the way I felt last year again."

Neither team scored in the 10-minute first overtime period. But around the two-minute mark of the second overtime, this time 20 minutes long, Fox took a pass from Mintos newcomer Torey Stott, scoring on the tournament's MVP Marc Boulanger. Fox was named the Mintos player of the game for the goal.

"I'm satisfied now," said Fox. "This win is a little better but only because I scored the winner. I'll never forget that moment. I was mauled into the boards as soon as I scored."

Chubak stopped 34 shots in the game for the Mintos.

History was broken for a second time when 4,423 fans walked through the doors to watch the game. It broke the attendance record set in Prince George, B.C. in 2000 by 500 people.

"It was not easy," said Leonard. "It's tough because I really was helpless. They were the only ones who could get it done."

In other Telus Cup action, Quebec's Seminaire St. Francois Blizzard won the bronze medal game 5-1 over the Vancouver Northwest Giants Sunday morning.

njosin@paherald.sk.ca

nivek_wahs
05-01-2007, 12:59 AM
http://www.paherald.sk.ca/index.cfm?sid=26352&sc=5

Last updated at 10:43 AM on 30/04/07
Prince Albert invasion hits Telus Cup site

BY NICOLE JOSIN
The Prince Albert Daily Herald

The Red Deer Enmax Centrium was a sea of green. Not only are the seats in the arena green, but so were the fans.

Many Prince Albert Minto fans came to the Telus Cup final on Sunday decked out in green and white paint - from head to toe. The paint combined with cheers, signs and drums to help ensure the Mintos knew they were supported.

The Mintos won 3-2 in double overtime against the host Red Deer Optimist Rebels.

"The support has just been mind-boggling," Prince Albert's Colleen Brown said of the more than 250 fans who took up two full sections at the arena.

"There is no way I'd miss this. Every day more and more people kept coming."

Those people included ex-Minto players Karsten Felske, Brendan Turner, Ron Meyers and Steven Robinson, who were more than happy for their former team.

"Karsten told me he had never been prouder," Brown said.

But it wasn't all fun and games. Watching the extra periods weren't easy, especially for the families who had to endure the triple-overtime victory last season.

Veteran Ryan Fox was Sunday's hero with the goal in the second extra frame.

"It really could've been anybody," said a Norine Fox. "They just had to get it in."

After the goal, Minto fans began hugging each other and waving Saskatchewan flags proudly. The goal was scored near where the Mintos fans were sitting, allowing parents to run to the glass and show their support.

"I just can't even explain how awesome this is," said Norine Fox. "I can barely talk. This team has been great all year and they deserve it."

But it wasn't just at the rink that Minto fans made themselves known.

Mintos general manager Mike Mazurak phoned the parents, who were staying at the Travelodge, as the team left the Red Deer Inn. As the busload of Mintos drove by on the way to the final, the more than 75 family members and friends staying at the hotel were on the street with Go Mintos Go signs, cheering on the team as they passed by.

And of course, they were covered in their green paint.

"The boys were just looking out the window with their mouths wide open," said Brown.

Triton
05-01-2007, 01:07 PM
I was there from Thursday on but only had pictures of the weekend due to stupid camera batteries running out and me not bringing my battery charger.

If anyone want to see them PM me.

westbeach55
05-01-2007, 02:35 PM
hey canadian

Just wondering what leonard was saying about fudge I noticed the caption on your photo's couldn't make it there last night. Thanks for posting the pics

nivek_wahs
05-02-2007, 04:40 AM
http://www.reginapats.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=952

Overtime friendly to Mintos

Darren Zary, Saskatchewan News Network
Published: Monday, April 30, 2007

SASKATOON -- Triple overtime last year. Double OT this year.

So much for those finely-manicured finger nails.

After another week of living dangerously, the Prince Albert Mintos made history Sunday afternoon in Red Deer, Alta., by winning their second consecutive Telus Cup midget hockey championship. For the second straight year, the Mintos won a nail-biter in overtime.

Ryan Fox was the hero this time, netting the winner just 48 seconds into the second OT frame before 4,423 fans at the Enmax Centrium.

"It feels phenomenal," Fox, a native of Creighton, said after 3-2 victory with blow-horns and noise-makers still being heard in the background. "I can't stop smiling. I'm lost for words. It's just a feeling that can't be explained. It just shows with a smile and with everyone patting each other on the back. It means a lot to be a part of it. I'm especially proud to be one of only six players (along with Tommy Brown, Jadon Potter, Curtis Kulchar, Lewis Laczko and Owen Roschuk) in Canadian midget AAA history to win back-to-back."

It's the first time any team has won back-to-back national midget hockey titles over a 29-year span.

"I don't have much of a voice left," Mintos head coach Tim Leonard said after Sunday's thrilling victory. It's just another fantastic group of kids who bought into my work ethic and discipline. The one thing we're proud of is that we're even a step up on last year because we won first place in our league -- last year we were second and the (Saskatoon) Contacts were first. We've kind of done it all this year and we went 7-and-0 again (at nationals)."

The Mintos extended their winning streak at the Telus Cup to 14 games. They were undefeated through seven games a year ago when they won the 2006 Telus Cup title at Charlottetown, P.E.I., in triple OT. They enjoyed a perfect 7-0 record once again this year. Six of their seven victories in Red Deer were decided by either one or two goals.

"We've been a team like that all year," said Mintos goalie Carsen Chubak, who made 31 saves for the win. "We're just lucky to come out on top more times than not."

At this rate, pacemakers may be in order.

"Oh, man, it's just killing me; we just don't do it easy," said general manager Mike Mazurak. "But, you know what? This whole week hasn't been that bad, maybe because I've been through it once before. Even this game wasn't so bad until we got into the overtime. Then I started to get a little excited."

Pat prospect Kulchar, at the 2:03 mark, and Tyler Fiddler, at 9:51, scored to give the Mintos an early 2-0 lead in the first period.

Darren Windle, in the second period, and Colin Archer, at 9:41 of the third, replied for the Rebels to send the game into OT before they got out-Foxed.

"Their D kind of got caught and Torey Stott -- hats off to him, coming into our organization late in the year and being able to compete in this league -- poked it by them," Leonard said. "Great patience down the wall. Froze the D-man, went around him. Ditched it high into the slot and Foxy come in there and banged it home.

"A beautiful goal."

Stott, from Radisson, was the team's final cut last fall. He rejoined the Mintos late in the season to fill in due to injuries.

"Torey Stott drove to the net and the defenceman went with him and I was wide-open in the slot," Fox said, describing his goal. "Torey, with a smart play, passed it out to me and I happened to put it in 5-hole."

Prince Albert outshot Red Deer 36-33. Carsen Chubak made 31 saves for the win.

Triton
07-10-2007, 11:25 AM
Got a few questions..

Anyone know when training camp starts, how much season tickets are and can you buy them now?

RaiderProspect
07-10-2007, 09:43 PM
Camp Starts on the 20th.. its fitness and registration games start on the friday.