PDA

View Full Version : Eric Hunter still a question mark

Sput
08-17-2006, 03:26 PM
Hunter question is dogging Cats
Forward has not signed with Rangers, will return to P.G. if no deal is struck

by JIM SWANSON, Citizen Sports Editor

One would think that the longer the summer has gone, the closer the Prince George Cougars would be to finding out if their star forward is returning.

Not so. Eric Hunter, and the Cougars, are still in a pro hockey-induced limbo, awaiting word whether the 40-goal scorer will get a fifth year in the Western Hockey League.

In short, if Hunter signs it’s good news for him, in that he’s moving up in the hockey world. If he doesn’t ink a deal with the New York Rangers, who chose him in the sixth round of the recent NHL entry draft, the Cougars will base their club around the fiesty forward.

“No, I don’t have a betting man in me, but I know what I want to have happen,” laughed Cougars general manager Dallas Thompson, who has sworn off worrying about the issue because there’s nothing he can do to control it.

“But whatever is going to happen there, it will happen. We’ll either be very excited, or we’ll deal with it as it comes.”

The candidates for the three 20-year-old spots are Hunter, Jared Walker, Scott Bowles, Curtis Cooper and Cody McMullin. Hunter and Walker would be the strongest possibilities, while Bowles is in a battle with Real Cyr, 19, for the starting goaltender role.

Cooper is a four-year Cat looking to complete his WHL time in the same jersey. McMullin, added at Christmas last season, is a longshot at best. Jamison Orr has not been released as of yet, but will not be at camp. Orr is expected to play at the Tier 2 level this season.

Thompson said he’s no closer to making a definitive call on his goaltending situation.

“My mind changes almost hourly on our 20-year-olds, and on our goaltenders, because those two things affect each other,” said Thompson.

“I’ve thought about it all summer, talked about it with (head coach Mike Vandekamp), and talked to everyone else I need to talk to. We’re going into camp with (Bowles and Cyr) the same way we left it in the spring, and that’s that they have to come to camp and win the job as the No. 1 goalie. They need to show us who it is.

“They’re both very capable, they both want to play, and at some point we’re going to have to make a decision and run with it.”

If Hunter is not back, he will miss out on the introduction of the next wave of Cougars prospects, led by Dale Hunt, a 16-year-old taken third overall in the 2005 bantam draft. Hunt is assured a spot on the team, while forward Matt Belich (second round, 24th overall) and defenceman Trevor Bauer (third round, 44th) are the favourites to join that pure rookie crop.

“I’m excited to see Hunt, Belich and Bauer,” said Thompson, shooting down rumours that Belich has decided to quit hockey.

“We started with four 16-year-olds last year, and I don’t think we’re going to be at that number this year. Hunt’s going to be here for sure, and after that everyone’s been told they have to make the team.”

n One player who isn’t expected to be at camp when it opens with registration Aug. 23 is Stefan Elliott, the first-round pick this spring who is balking at becoming a Cougar.

Elliott, a skilled defenceman, was chosen 11th overall, then expressed an interest to play closer to his Vancouver home.

“I don’t think he’ll be at camp,” said Thompson.

“(Owner Rick Brodsky and I) met with (Elliott’s) father last week, (head scout Russ Smart) met with him earlier, and it’s a process that may take awhile. Whether or not he’ll come to Prince George, I don’t know, but we’d sure like that and we’re working towards that. If it doesn’t happen we’ll work something out for ourselves.”