PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Coach Stays Positive

Tipped Off
08-21-2006, 01:02 PM
Chiefs coach takes positive approach (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/sports/story.asp?ID=145652&page=2)
Peters likes team entering training camp
Jeff Bunch
Staff writer
August 20, 2006

As the Spokane Chiefs prepare to begin their Western Hockey League training camp this week, one thing is clear: this is Bill Peters' team.

The second-year coach will welcome just under 20 veterans, some notable rookies, and dozens of players who are virtually unknown to him on Thursday at the Spokane Arena. That's an improvement from last year, when he knew only one of them.

"The biggest comfort level for me is now I know our guys," Peters said. "Before, you're asking scouts or (general manager Tim Speltz) Speltzie, 'What's this guy about or where do you project him; what can he do?'

"You get all these projections and you think you have 'x' amount of players that can play in your top six or top nine out front – and now I know. I know where we have weaknesses and where our strengths are."

The pressure is clearly on Peters and the organization to get better this season. Spokane has suffered through back-to-back years of last-place finishes and missed the playoffs both seasons with just 58 points.

But Peters is talking optimistically, even before his team has taken to the ice.

In discussing the team's schedule recently, Peters noted the dates for both the end of the regular season and the opening round of the playoffs. He's not talking about if the Chiefs will make the playoffs, but in what spot.

"You want to be fighting for position and finish in the first half of your division so you can open at home, that's definitely our goal," Peters said. "We had a real tough finish (last season), no question about that. But the thing we were able to do was play our young guys a lot and get them a lot of valuable game experience."

New leadership was clearly developed in last season's campaign. Forwards such as linemates and NHL draft picks Adam Hobson and Michael Grabner – along with defensemen Sean Zimmerman and Evan Haw – began to jell late with a core group of players whom Peters cites for his optimism.

"We've got a lot of things going on, all of them positive," Peters said, noting a list of players invited to national, provincial or National Hockey League camps. "There's just so many things going in the right direction – and these are factual things, instead of wondering if the information you're receiving from guys is the truth or not. Now you know."

Peters said he has been monitoring the weekly self-reports by players of their physical conditioning and some of the results have caught his attention.

"I know who, I think, has had a good summer, who's had an average summer," said Peters. "Now, when we get them in (on Thursday) and fitness-test them we'll make sure they're telling us the truth on those results."

He's had the chance to see some of the players in person over the summer, players such as projected leaders Chris Bruton and Derek Ryan, and said they are physically stronger as compared to start of last year.

He's also been pleased by the off-season progress of players such as second-year veterans Drayson Bowman and Jared Spurgeon, as well as rookies Mitch Wahl and Michael Reddington – just to name a few.

There are also a cadre of players acquired by Speltz over the summer who Peters will get to see for the first time, including import pick Ondrej Roman. Roman is a 17-year-old center from the Czech Republic who has played for his country in several international competitions.

"We're not going to put a lot of pressure on him to produce early and just let him get his feet wet – just like a Michael Grabner situation," said Peters.

Another player added to the Chiefs' protected list in the off-season was goalie Dustin Tokarski, who will jump into the battle with returnee Thomas Stehr and rookie Darcy Kuemper to back up starter Kevin Armstrong.

"We talked (last year) about our goaltending depth in our organization and now we have great depth," said Peters.

The Chiefs will have scrimmages on Friday and Saturday, then conclude camp with the Red-White game on Sunday.