PDA

View Full Version : Season Tix Pickup Party

old_time_hockey
08-21-2006, 04:01 PM
So since this will be my first one, what goes on there?

I take it the team is there to shake hands and chat with the ticket holders?

GF71
08-21-2006, 04:23 PM
They have an equipment sale, autograph signing from most of the team (less the guys that are at NHL camps), You can buy merchandise, free drinks and hot dogs, a state of the union/propaganda speach, and people milling about downstairs. Haha the best part is watchign how fast the hto dogs vanish when the team gets the left overs. I think Albers holds the team record, if I am not mistaken.

Carebear
08-21-2006, 04:47 PM
Aww, I'm so jealous! Someone take me!
Stupid being broke. :(

Beaner
08-21-2006, 06:51 PM
So since this will be my first one, what goes on there?

I take it the team is there to shake hands and chat with the ticket holders?

Its a joke. Hardly what I would call a "party".

You aren't missing much if you dont go.

I wouldnt at all be surprised if they did NOT have the WHL championship trophy there for STH to take their photo with.

dondo
08-21-2006, 07:30 PM
They have an equipment sale, autograph signing from most of the team (less the guys that are at NHL camps), You can buy merchandise, free drinks and hot dogs, a state of the union/propaganda speach, and people milling about downstairs. Haha the best part is watchign how fast the hto dogs vanish when the team gets the left overs. I think Albers holds the team record, if I am not mistaken.

bought a nice practice jersey there with the old WHL logo last year and bought a practice helmet and had all the players (who were there) sign it when we did the meet and greet. It was a good time. So if you are a STH - I'd recommend going. When is it this year GF?

What Beaner? Free hot dogs not your cup o' tea? Was someone mean to you :p :D ? But you'rew right its not a party per-se its a meet and greet and propanganda day, but I enjoyed myself and I like the practice gear so meh.

I still think STH should get a card for discounts at the regular merch shop though - lots of other teams do that for their STHs.

Beaner
08-21-2006, 08:15 PM
What Beaner? Free hot dogs not your cup o' tea? Was someone mean to you :p :D ? But you'rew right its not a party per-se its a meet and greet and propanganda day, but I enjoyed myself and I like the practice gear so meh.

I still think STH should get a card for discounts at the regular merch shop though - lots of other teams do that for their STHs.

Maybe I just expect more, considering it is the really the only "event" they do for STH all year long.

Music, photos, maybe some decorations. How about printing the signage on a computer, as opposed to scribbling it down on a piece of paper and using a Sharpie.

How about a bit better food and drink, I believe Toigo might know something about the restaurant business. Maybe he could help out with that. ;)

Hey how about some interactive stuff like the Hockey Shot thing they have all season long at the Coliseum.

Gee maybe the team management could greet people at the door and say hey thanks for being a STH and welcome as opposed to a security guard.

Maybe some free stuff for the STH like Team photographs.....

Maybe do some things besides stand in a line.

I dont know, I guess 10 years working in the corporate events business has my expectation level a bit higher. I just expect an Event to be that, an event.

And I couldnt agree more about the discount thing.

And I'm sorry, but that orange pop they serve always makes me think of Jim Jones.

----

Man I sound bitter, but it really annoys me. Thank goodness the Hockey is great.

scrunt
08-21-2006, 09:37 PM
Maybe I just expect more, considering it is the really the only "event" they do for STH all year long.

Music, photos, maybe some decorations. How about printing the signage on a computer, as opposed to scribbling it down on a piece of paper and using a Sharpie.

How about a bit better food and drink, I believe Toigo might know something about the restaurant business. Maybe he could help out with that. ;)

Hey how about some interactive stuff like the Hockey Shot thing they have all season long at the Coliseum.

Gee maybe the team management could greet people at the door and say hey thanks for being a STH and welcome as opposed to a security guard.

Maybe some free stuff for the STH like Team photographs.....

Maybe do some things besides stand in a line.

I dont know, I guess 10 years working in the corporate events business has my expectation level a bit higher. I just expect an Event to be that, an event.

And I couldnt agree more about the discount thing.

And I'm sorry, but that orange pop they serve always makes me think of Jim Jones.

----

Man I sound bitter, but it really annoys me. Thank goodness the Hockey is great.

Thanks for ruining it for me ;)

I went with Dondo last year with no preconceived notions, so it would be hard to have been disappointed.

However, you are right on the money, Beaner, and it just emphasizes the disregard this team seems to have for its enthusiastic and loyal fan base. From the pathetic website to the rude response you get if you ask the pressbox security dictator for a spare media guide, this team needs to learn a thing or five about basic customer relations.

I recall being a bit hung over at the STH pickup party last year, and being extra thirsty I wanted another drink instead of a hot dog. "Nope, sorry, one drink each. I can't open this big cooler behind me and get you a drink if you don't have a drink ticket. No, that's a hot dog ticket." :burningma

Oh, great, now I'm pissed off!

Well, I'll go anyway and expect nothing. As I often say, optimists are often disappointed, while pessimists seldom are. :D

Hunt24
08-22-2006, 02:19 PM
I couldn't agree more. My wife and I have been an STH for three years now and before that I covered the team for Canadian Press. I got pretty frustrated last year with some of the things the team did which were pretty bush league in my opinion so about three weeks ago I emailed Ron Toigo directly with my concerns.

The email was about three pages long and I was pretty impressed with the response I got. Toigo obviously forwarded the email on to pretty much everybody in the organization and I was impressed to get responses from every department that I expressed concern with. I won't repost the entire email here, but here are the main points and the responses from the Giants.

1. In comparison to say Everett, our souvenir shop is a bit of a joke. I bought my wife and professionally made jerseys (Hunt for me, Franson for her), but had to go to Surrey to get them done. The people at the Giants Den couldn't even tell us where to go to get them done.

Giants response: We use a 3rd party provider for merchandise and for the Giants Den staff. We'll be sure to send them this and ensure they are capable of handling these orders.

2. In game promotions were invasive and a little overbearing. It seems that every stoppage in play we're hit with the leftover hamburgers, the star tac mobility promo, the super cuts promo, the BC hydro promo, or whatever else it is. I'm all for a team being able to pay the bills, but it gets to be a little much. Then there's the "hostess" of those promos. She was terrible, screaming into the microphone and bumbling over a promo she's done 20 times already this year.

Giants response: The female announcer won't be back. They will take into consideration the amount of promos and hope to make some changes this year. (I get the feeling they'll still be giving out 2 hour old burgers though)

3. The website is by far the worst in the league and is almost unusable. There is no clear understanding of the objective of the site.

Giants response: Joey Kenward emailed me and told me a new site is coming and they're hoping it will be a big improvement over the current one. Should be ready sometime around the start of the season.

Overall, I think they know they've got work to do, but I really feel they think that bringing the WJHC, Mem Cup, Prospects Game to Vancouver maybe made them think they've done enough to attract season ticket holders. My point was they don't do enough to retain them. I hope to see improvements in that area there this year.

Carebear
08-22-2006, 03:19 PM
Giants response: The female announcer won't be back. They will take into consideration the amount of promos and hope to make some changes this year. (I get the feeling they'll still be giving out 2 hour old burgers though)

THERE IS A GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HALLELUJAH!!! :clap:

GF71
08-22-2006, 04:14 PM
THERE IS A GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HALLELUJAH!!! :clap:

I second that. Her high pitched screach and terrible reading skills were a bit too much to bear. I would rather listen to the emergency broadcast system.

Carebear: If youwant to go to the party, just go with a season tix holder...they can bring "family" ;)

Carebear
08-22-2006, 04:37 PM
I second that. Her high pitched screach and terrible reading skills were a bit too much to bear. I would rather listen to the emergency broadcast system.

Carebear: If youwant to go to the party, just go with a season tix holder...they can bring "family" ;)

That's why I said "someone take me".
No offers yet though.
Prob worried about the embarassment if I accost Hunt.
I wouldn't though, I promise guys!

Beaner
08-22-2006, 07:14 PM
That's why I said "someone take me".
No offers yet though.
Prob worried about the embarassment if I accost Hunt.
I wouldn't though, I promise guys!

Well as much as I ***** about the STH party I will be going, you are more then welcome to come with me.

However, you must stay at least 20 feet from Garet Hunt at all times. :laugh:

dondo
08-22-2006, 07:43 PM
oh great now I'M depressed :spineyes: :(

but you are right Beaner on all points. As scrunt said we went expecting mostly nothing and got something so we had a good time (except for the hot dog /drink nazis). lol

but really the regard they have for STHs seems to be pretty low. I was shocked at the lack of perks for being a STH. And was frankly amazed that the STHs did not get a discount at the merch areas.

Hunt24 thx for your post, hopefully Toigo will get the message and I recently e-mailed them about how entirely pathetic their web presence was and the gall of not having photos available for download for their fans and just the one photographer who wants stupid money for access to his "official" photos. That pissed me off as well.

Maybe its time for those of us here to form a united STH front, do some research and see what the perks other dub teams give their STHs and maybe lobby the team for it to improve.

I'd be curious to see the Chilliwack perks.

Beaner
08-22-2006, 07:55 PM
I'd be curious to see the Chilliwack perks.

Heh funny you should mention that I just joined the Bruins email club and already got my first update on whats going with them. I fully expect another next week.

Funny thing is I joined the Giants email club last year, and guess what, I have received 1 email from the Giants so far.

You know at some point you just have to laugh at how pathetic the Giants do at these things... :laugh:

I think Hunt24 is right, the team has thought all these special events were enough, BUT, eventually there will be no special events for them to bring. Then what?

Frankly I just want to feel appreciated for being a STH since day one. Literally Day one, as I got my STH the first day they were available to the general public.

Guess we have to get on the management for improvements, but every time I write an email to address it it gets real nasty. LOL.

Maybe we should just direct the Giants to this thread and let them read what we really think.

dondo
08-22-2006, 08:17 PM
Its a good start... directing them to this thread I mean. And maybe the best and worst website in the dub thread.

I suspect their web site is not even going to come close to chilliwack's and they will try to cheap out and use the same cookie cutter format, and get "their brother-in-law" to design the site as they have in the past ("my brother-in-law does web pages" says Toigo in one meeting - "okay then its settled" say all the yes-men drones at the meeting nodding their head knowledgably). I recently went to the Silvertips website and its a beauty, maybe we should direct them to that one as well.

But, I can do you one better on the e-mail list Beaner. I have signed up a total of four times and have yet to receive even one e-mail from the Giants.

They really are dropping the ball in the promo/perk dept but the hockey's so good that I have been less apt to complain (except for the beer selection - ugh), but really there should be some consistent and regular perks throughout the season.

Bad Giants! Bad Giants! (management/marketing goons) - and gimme the media guide you snobs, every game. :skeptical

dammit now I'm irritated again :mad:

Beaner
08-22-2006, 08:21 PM
But, I can do you one better on the e-mail list Beaner. I have signed up a total of four times and have yet to receive even one e-mail from the Giants.

I was counting the confirmation email as one for the Giants. A total homer move I know. :laugh:

Guess that means Chilliwack leads 2-1. :clap:

SectionNDeserter
08-22-2006, 08:24 PM
Maybe its time for those of us here to form a united STH front, do some research and see what the perks other dub teams give their STHs and maybe lobby the team for it to improve.Lemme save you some time... No STH ticket pickup party here, or any real social events for that matter save the end of the year awards cabaret. Some time into the season, if you fight your way through the crowd to out the front exits at the end of the game, you can get a free fridge magnet calendar. Thats pretty much it here.

rinkrat
08-22-2006, 08:25 PM
and gimme the media guide you snobs, every game. :skeptical
:

I agree,I would even pay for the media guide,its great! One of the fans next to me gets them every game,I'm not sure how.Maybe from Fransons billet or family as he knows Cody.He is nice enough to share.

BTW,Dondo,how about updating GiantsHQ? I'm getting depressed seeing that final game score all summer. :(
Maybe you could get Beaner to write some articles for the site as well???

http://www.canuckshq.com/giants/index.shtml

rinkrat
08-22-2006, 08:27 PM
Also they could've had a mini-parade or get together at the end of the season.They did win the WHL championship.Sheesh,that bugged me.The players deserved it. :D

GF71
08-22-2006, 11:20 PM
Bad Giants! Bad Giants! (management/marketing goons) - and gimme the media guide you snobs, every game.

There are only game notes every game. The Giants Media guide comes out late Sept., early October at the latest every year. I guess I am lucky.. I get one every year?! lol. Sorry Dondo...I HAD to rub it in. They are Nothing special though. All stats that you can get in the WHL guide, and the same pictures that are in the programs, with little blurbs on each player, which if memory serves are the same as what the put on the back of the hockey cards when them come out. So you aren't missing anything.

I know for a fact that some of the mamagement types see this site, so be sure that these complaints are not falling on deaf ears. I have voiced many of these frustrations over the last few years right to the people that need to know, and basically you get lip service. The organized front(for lack of a better way of putting it) for STH might be a good idea, but it would have to be done with some tact. Count me in, if it happens.

old_time_hockey
08-23-2006, 12:35 PM
Also they could've had a mini-parade or get together at the end of the season.They did win the WHL championship.Sheesh,that bugged me.The players deserved it. :D

See, I thought that they would as well. Even if it wasn't a parade. Even if it was a huge get together somewhere on the PNE grounds where the WHL cup was there with all the players and staff. Have a bit of a BBQ.

Actually what I thought would be cool is to charge say $5-10 to get into the rink. Then on the screens play a highlight package of the playoffs. Then when you get to the part where Fistric gets to hoist the cup, you cut from the clips and have a spot light on Fistric as he gets to skate the cup out onto the ice followed by the team and get to pass it around in front of the home town crowd. That would have been sweet! Then have a signing session after. I would have paid full game day admission to see that.

Carebear
08-23-2006, 12:56 PM
^

Damn, thats a genius idea.
Are you an event planner? If not, you should be.

dondo
08-23-2006, 08:36 PM
I agree,I would even pay for the media guide,its great! One of the fans next to me gets them every game,I'm not sure how.Maybe from Fransons billet or family as he knows Cody.He is nice enough to share.

BTW,Dondo,how about updating GiantsHQ? I'm getting depressed seeing that final game score all summer. :(
Maybe you could get Beaner to write some articles for the site as well???

http://www.canuckshq.com/giants/index.shtml

damn you rinkrat :evil: :laugh: shhhhh --- yeah yeah I think next week I'll be writing a couple of preseason articles - looks like Vic (cheetah - admin there) is looking to revamp the whole site (we've had probs with our server so I think we are going to jump to another provider) and the Giants HQ will be a part of that - hoping to update the rosters etc and get some sort of historical section going, but frankly I've been a lazy *** this summer GiantsHQ-wise and need to atleast write up something for the coming season)

We're also hoping to make the site a more reliable place for fans to go and as usual I'll try to write as many recaps as I am able and hopefully archive them so that visitors can access the older ones. So if anyone has anything to contribute we'd be open to contributions.

And GF you bast**d :p :thumb: , I was actually talking about the game notes and pre-game media package formerly available at the merch desk and then the media club entrance, but since they got rid of the cute girl and replaced here with the surly dipstick of a security drone there - I haven't made much headway in terms of getting access to that particular gem. I didn't know about the pre-season Media guide (can you get me one of those?) pls pls pls :D

and there definitely should have been a post-memorial cup BBQ or some such and as usual OTH has a good idea - looks like maybe you should be taking over the marketing psotion with the Giants cause right now that job is occupied by a lazy son of a b, who has no clue what the fans want.

and for those of you trash talking me --- just remember I give as good as I get and on a good day better... :laugh: I can feel the love babies I can feel the love :thumb:

Carebear
08-24-2006, 11:44 AM
and there definitely should have been a post-memorial cup BBQ or some such and as usual OTH has a good idea - looks like maybe you should be taking over the marketing psotion with the Giants cause right now that job is occupied by a lazy son of a b, who has no clue what the fans want.

I agree, and then he should hire me as his assistant, because thats what I plan on doing with my life!

old_time_hockey
08-24-2006, 12:47 PM
Maybe what the Giants need is a couple of STH's to head up some sort of official STH/fan club. If you aren't a STH holder you have to pay say $10/year (offset costs of paper and what not) but still get access to the fan club stuff. Could have a monthly news letter with an article from the coaching staff. Maybe an interview with a couple of players per month. Have a strength and conditioning section with a monthly tip from Ian Gallagher.

Also throw in a couple of BBQ's maybe. Charge a small fee (how much do white spot burgers and pop really cost Toigo) for that, but in return you get to rub shoulders with the players and coaches, etc.

As for pay, I would figure for a fan a pair of season tixs and possibly media passes (to be able to conduct the interviews) would be cool. I mean how much are they paying people to sit and come up with nothing right now?

Carebear
08-24-2006, 12:49 PM
Didn't we have a talk about this, and someone said that the Giants would not officially support a fan club?

GF71
08-24-2006, 01:26 PM
Maybe what the Giants need is a couple of STH's to head up some sort of official STH/fan club. If you aren't a STH holder you have to pay say $10/year (offset costs of paper and what not) but still get access to the fan club stuff. Could have a monthly news letter with an article from the coaching staff. Maybe an interview with a couple of players per month. Have a strength and conditioning section with a monthly tip from Ian Gallagher.

Also throw in a couple of BBQ's maybe. Charge a small fee (how much do white spot burgers and pop really cost Toigo) for that, but in return you get to rub shoulders with the players and coaches, etc.

As for pay, I would figure for a fan a pair of season tixs and possibly media passes (to be able to conduct the interviews) would be cool. I mean how much are they paying people to sit and come up with nothing right now?

I tried this a few years ago and was met with resistance. Time became an issue too. However if there are a couple of people serious about trying to start a fan club please let me know. I will do what I can to help get. But again you need to be serious and willing to put in all the time required. You can PM if you need to.

Carebear
08-24-2006, 01:53 PM
If anyone is willing to take the lead, I would definitely be all in for assisting them, I need/want all the experience in this kind of stuff that I can get. But because I'm gonna be doing so much work for the Langley Chiefs, I would only be able to assist someone else, or multiple other people.

Hunt24
08-24-2006, 02:03 PM
I've emailed the Giants asking for their official position on the fan club concept. I'll let you know what they say.

I must say, I'm surprised by the lack of interaction points the Giants allow with the team. I'm sure a number of us would rather be posting with Giants fans at the team website but they seem to think that's not gonna happen. The lack of a season ending function when they actually ended the season on the road was surely disappointing. The only reason I can see here is that the players (rightfully so) were anxious to get home.

I will let you guys know what the team says. Should they say they wouldn't back the club, how do you guys feel about doing this on our own? I'd be more than happy to be involved and help lead the charge. If we became strong enough they'd have to at least acknowledge us.

Thoughts?

rinkrat
08-24-2006, 04:34 PM
careful what you wish for,some teams have had nothing but problems from Booster Clubs.Alot of politics,in-fighting etc.
Here's an example
http://www.network54.com/Forum/285837/thread/1139375705/Tips_Fan+Politics

Hunt24
08-24-2006, 07:14 PM
I can see how politics could easily become part of the BC concept, but I think it can be overcome provided the right policies and bylaws are in place.

I, for one, am willing to step up and take the lead on making this happen. I'll start another thread to check on overall interest on the board here. From there it will be up to each of us to work towards organic growth.

Beaner
08-24-2006, 07:26 PM
I can see how politics could easily become part of the BC concept, but I think it can be overcome provided the right policies and bylaws are in place.

I, for one, am willing to step up and take the lead on making this happen. I'll start another thread to check on overall interest on the board here. From there it will be up to each of us to work towards organic growth.

I would be more than happy to help out.

rinkrat
08-24-2006, 09:02 PM
From there it will be up to each of us to work towards organic growth.

You may want to check the legalities of that... ;)

old_time_hockey
08-25-2006, 11:14 AM
I can see how booster clubs can get out of hand in a hurry. They have to have club bylaws and what not. I mean what that board sounded like was what goes on at my strata meetings or saftey commitee meetings at work.

A simple fan club where they send out a letter to the members about an event such as a BBQ, doesn't need to be as political.

dondo
08-25-2006, 08:56 PM
agreed OTH - it doesn't have to as official as a booster club, but we do need some kind of voice at STHs and maybe this would be a good place to start.

Beaner
09-08-2006, 09:57 PM
Not to re-open this debate again but whos going, and if you are going should we all try and meet-up somewhere?

I'll be there should be there around 12:00ish.

old_time_hockey
09-08-2006, 11:01 PM
I'm going. Probably going to try and get there at 12 as well.

Might as well. It is free and my first time.

GF71
09-08-2006, 11:18 PM
I'm going. Probably going to try and get there at 12 as well.

Might as well. It is free and my first time.

ohhhhhhh a virg. lol. They are nothing special.

old_time_hockey
09-08-2006, 11:50 PM
ohhhhhhh a virg. lol. They are nothing special.

Yes...please be gentle...lol

Carebear
09-09-2006, 01:29 AM
Lucky jerks.
Someone say hi to the boys for me :wave:

Carebear
09-10-2006, 02:09 PM
So, I pretty much hate you all right now cuz you're all at the party. :(

Beaner
09-10-2006, 05:38 PM
So, I pretty much hate you all right now cuz you're all at the party. :(

Hey I offered to let you come with me so you could get in but you never got back to me.

Carebear
09-11-2006, 12:23 AM
Hey I offered to let you come with me so you could get in but you never got back to me.

I know, it would've been weird...thats all.
But I do thank you for that offer.