PDA

View Full Version : Rider fans...

Fight Guy
08-21-2006, 06:24 PM
Firing of Shivers...thoughts?

Toswammi
08-21-2006, 06:40 PM
7 years with no Grey Cup appearances or even a home game to his credit, no suprise and quite frankly i could care less, if not now then at the end of the year.
One can argue that he has a good eye for talent though, and brought in a lot of good players. His scouting will be missed.
For the new GM, the first step is a punter. For the love of god, we need someone that can punt the ball.
Next head on the chopping block, is likely Barrett for the same reasons as Shivers. Barring a complete turnaround he likely wont be back next year either.

scamperdog
08-21-2006, 07:54 PM
Is it true that he went against the boards desire to fire Barrett? If so then the board is showing who the boss is.
Just remember Sask fans can always cheer for the LIONS!!

Sabes
08-21-2006, 08:37 PM
it took long enough, I think Barrett should be next to go

Toswammi
08-21-2006, 09:05 PM
it took long enough, I think Barrett should be next to go
Usually Gm's hire there own guys. For that reason alone i feel the DB's days are numbered

Hatguy
08-22-2006, 12:23 AM
I say good riddence to Shivers, but I like Danny. I think Danny will get the can after the season, unless the new GM really doesn't want Danny. That's what I heard, though.

nivek_wahs
08-22-2006, 03:19 AM
Alls I gots to say is...

Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye!

Fight Guy
08-22-2006, 12:02 PM
I heard that Barret was the one who was to get fired...but Shivers said to fire him instead. Barret will be gone soon enough though. Unless the Riders start winning games, he could be gone this season I think.

Triton
08-22-2006, 04:17 PM
Sportsnet.ca -- The Saskatchewan Roughriders are expected to introduce Eric Tillman as their new general manager sometime this week, according to a report on The Globe and Mail's website.

In 1999, Eric Tillman turned down the opportunity to become the Saskatchewan Roughriders' general manager.

Tillman was scheduled to fly to Regina on Tuesday and expected to meet with Saskatchewan officials either later that evening or sometime Wednesday to discuss the club's vacant GM's job.

The Roughriders fired former GM Roy Shivers on Monday.

"We want to meet face-to-face with Eric to make sure we know each other," Jim Hopson, the Roughriders' president and chief executive officer said on Tuesday. "He's not the only candidate ... I've spoken to a lot of people already but he's certainly a very strong candidate."

Two league sources requesting anonymity said the Roughriders have settled on Tillman and the only way another candidate will be considered is if Tillman decides he doesn't want the job.

Tillman turned the Roughriders down in 1999, but mostly because of matters of the heart as he had just started seeing the woman who would eventually become his wife. Now married with a young family -- a two-year-old daughter and one-year-old son -- Tillman has no regrets.

"In '99 I was a 40-year-old bachelor in a formative relationship," Tillman said. "It's obvious I made the right decision.

"We'll have to see what happens, but there are many positives about Saskatchewan. It's a great place to live and they have fans that are second to none. We'll talk and see how things go."

The timing of Shivers' departure was surprising, but not the move itself. There had been talk since last season the colourful Shivers, who has always spoken his mind, was on thin ice. But instead of either firing Shivers or renewing his contract -- he's in the final year of his deal -- the Roughriders maintained the status quo, essentially making Shivers a lame-duck GM.

The timing couldn't have been worse. At least 13 Roughriders are poised to become free agents in the off-season, with another 30 heading into their option in '07. Now, a new GM must try re-signing a lot of players all looking for raises while adhering to a $3.8-million salary cap the CFL will begin strictly enforcing in 2007.

There's also a sense of urgency with Tillman, who has been prominently mentioned as a strong GM candidate for a new CFL team in Ottawa. Three groups have reportedly applied to the league for an expansion franchise, with the winning bid expected to be announced sometime this fall and the club becoming operational next season.

Shivers, 65, had been with the Roughriders since December 1999 -- taking the job after Tillman turned it down -- and compiled a 52-64-1 record with head coach-assistant GM Danny Barrett, who between them formed the first African-American management team in pro football.

Shivers and Barrett inherited a team that finished 3-15 in '98 but has made the CFL playoffs the last four years. Still, Saskatchewan hasn't hosted a post-season contest since 1988 and last won the Grey Cup in 1989.

Barrett, also in the final year of his contract, was being groomed as Shivers' heir apparent but will now have his fate determined by the new GM, who Hopson hopes will be hired "sooner rather than later.

"This is certainly a shock to our dressing room," Hopson said. "I think our players have to work through it but they also deserve to know the direction we're going in and who's in charge.

"I don't think uncertainty is good for an organization."

Hopson knows what he wants in a new GM.

"Certainly someone who has a great network in terms of football, be it in Canada or the United States," he said. "Roy Shivers certainly brought that to our organization and we're undoubtedly much better now than we were when he came in because of Roy's eye for talent.

"But we're also looking for someone who will commit to this community and this club and the direction we're going and be part of a management team that will lead the club for the foreseeable future and someone who has the ability to manage the whole business side of football in terms of training camps and budgets. It's a very tall order."

Tillman, a football analyst for both CBC and Rogers Sportsnet, would seem to fit the bill. He has served as a GM with the B.C. Lions (1993-'95), Toronto Argonauts ('97) and Ottawa Renegades (2002-2004).

Tillman, who holds a journalism degree from the University of Mississippi, began his pro career in public relations with the NFL's Houston Oilers in 1981 before becoming the player-personnel director of the CFL's Montreal Concordes the following year.

In 1984, Tillman became the executive director of the Senior Bowl, holding that position until joining the Lions. He has been part of two Grey Cup championship teams (B.C. in '94, Toronto in '97).

During his tenure, Shivers reported only to the Riders' board. But starting next year, the GM will report to Hopson, something the outspoken Shivers had made known he wasn't keen about.

"It's no different than how many major corporations are run," Hopson said. "But I have no intention to meddle (in football operations)."

nivek_wahs
08-23-2006, 02:44 AM
from cbc.ca... http://www.cbc.ca/story/sports/national/2006/08/22/shivers-interview.html

Shivers defends legacy with Roughriders
Last Updated Tue, 22 Aug 2006 19:10:50 EDT
CBC News

A day after he was fired as general manager of the Saskatchewan Roughriders, Roy Shivers said he's proud of his legacy with the CFL team.

In an interview with CBC News, he also spoke about being "very upset" about the way a small city like Regina can put a largely black team like the Riders under the spotlight.

After serving as GM for the past seven years, Shivers was released from his contract Monday. Riders president Jim Hopson said the organization appreciated his contributions, but wanted to start planning for the future.

The team's record under Shivers, the first black general manager in professional football history, was 52 wins, 64 losses and one tie. It had a big win against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats on the weekend but Hopson said the decision had already been made.

Although the team made it to the playoffs the last four years, it never advanced to the Grey Cup under Shivers's direction.

Promise fulfilled

Shivers said he promised fans when he arrived that the team and the organization as a whole would be in better shape when he left. He said Tuesday he had accomplished that.

"You know, when we came here, this team was at the depths. They were just about out of business. No money, nothing. We've put more fans in the seats now. They've made more money than they ever made before. They've got a bigger following than they've ever had before. They've sold more paraphernalia than they've ever sold before. That's my legacy. It's better now than when I came here."

Shivers also said he's helped put together a team that's in contention every year.

"That's the name of the game, to be in contention and make the playoffs," he said. "And now you get to the grand prize of going to the Grey Cup."

Negative publicity

Shivers also talked about the negative publicity the team suffered because of players who were charged with criminal offences during his seven years as GM.

The most serious case concerned former player Trevis Smith, who was charged with aggravated sexual assault after allegedly having sex with women without disclosing his HIV-positive status.

But some of the incidents that made headlines wouldn't have made a blip in larger centres like Toronto or B.C., he said.

"We're in a fishbowl here and the majority of our players, having been of a certain ethnic persuasion, has a lot to do with it," Shivers said.

"We're so visible and every time a black person does something in this town, everybody thinks it's a football player," he said. "This upsets me very much. Myself and Danny [Barrett, the Riders coach] being of the same persuasion … think it's a bunch of crap."

Shivers said he was tired of the rumours about his employment status and said in some ways, being released from his contract is a relief.

He's now in the process of moving to Las Vegas, where he says he'll take it easy for a while.

-----
With a 52-64-1 record... Roy you were mediocre at best. To bring the race card into the picture at this point in time is disgusting. Geez... do you think that Rider fans EVER cared about the color of you skin? NEVER.

All Rider fans wants is a winning team that might be able to bring a Grey Cup home every once in a while... PERIOD.

Enough ranting for now... :burningma

Toswammi
08-23-2006, 10:39 AM
its official tillman is in

dondo
08-23-2006, 08:49 PM
I think Tillman's a good choice for the Green Riders (yes I know they are the only riders now, but they'll always be the Green Riders to me). He knows the game and has experience in the front office it'll give Saskatchewan some stability there.

Sput
08-23-2006, 10:15 PM
I just hope Tillman sticks around for a while. In't his longest stint with a team 2-2 1/2 years?

nivek_wahs
08-24-2006, 06:55 AM
From sportsnet.ca (http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/article.jsp?content=20060822_113756_4404)

Tillman accepts Riders GM job
August 23, 2006

REGINA (CP) -- It took seven years, but the Saskatchewan Roughriders finally got Eric Tillman's signature on a contract.

The Roughriders hired Tillman as their general manager and vice-president of football operations Wednesday, two days after firing Roy Shivers after 6 1/2 seasons with the club. Saskatchewan actually first offered Tillman the job in '99, but he politely turned it down then for personal reasons.

Seven years ago, Tillman had started seeing his future wife, Francine, and a move to Saskatchewan just wasn't possible. The decision obviously paid off as the couple eventually wed and now have two young children.

Patience also seemed to pay off for Tillman, who reportedly signed a four-year, $1-million deal with the Roughriders.

Flanked by Jim Hopson, the Roughriders president and chief executive officer, Tillman made it clear that, while he was pleased to take the job, the circumstances under which he was hired were less than ideal.

"I don't think anybody can say that this is an ideal opportunity today given the circumstances. Jim didn't want this, I certainly didn't want it," he said. "Nobody likes to make changes and certainly not in the middle of the year."

Tillman was reluctant to discuss the problems he sees with the team, which has managed just a 4-5 record this season, or any changes he intends to make.

"Clearly 4-5 is not what the board anticipated this team being at this point, but yet teams go through highs and lows and make runs," he said. "It's quarterbacks, it's the Canadians and it's the kicking game and as long as I am here, that will be the way we approach it in terms of our priorities."

He was diplomatic when it came to discussing the future of head coach and assistant GM Danny Barrett, who is in the last year of his contract and had a tight relationship with Shivers.

"Ultimately, I'm going to be here for a long time and the team takes on the personality of the people at the top and the team will reflect Jim and I," Tillman said. "I think Danny will work well with us. I hope so."

Initially, Barrett seethed about the timing of Shivers' release, which came only two days after the Roughriders thumped the hapless Hamilton Tiger-Cats 46-15.

Speaking with reporters Tuesday -- before Tillman was named GM -- Barrett said he was not happy with the way things were handled and expressed disappointment that he wasn't considered for the post.

On Wednesday, after the Tillman announcement, Barrett tried to take the high road, deflecting reporters queries about the new GM with a terse "next question."

"I have yet to meet with Eric," Barrett said. "I'm looking forward to the opportunity to sit down today ... and go from there."

The players weren't commenting on Tillman's appointment either. As has been the team's practice of late when controversial issues come up, the media was locked out of practice.

The Roughriders offered Shivers the general manager's job after Tillman turned it down.

The controversial Shivers, outspoken to the end, has pitched his firing as a power struggle within the team as the board of directors moved to have the general manager report to Hopson.

In an interview with the Regina Leader-Post on Monday, Shivers, who was also in the last year of his contract, said he had told the board in April that he would not work for Hopson because he neither liked him nor trusted him.

In announcing Shivers' firing, Hopson used that as a reason, saying it would be best to get someone new into the position right away rather than waiting until the end of the season when free agents need to be re-signed.

Tillman joins the Roughriders after having served as a GM with the B.C. Lions (1993-'95), the Toronto Argonauts ('97) and the Ottawa Renegades (2002-2004). .

He has been part of two Grey Cup championship teams, with the Lions in 1994 and Toronto in '97 and, most recently, had been working as a football analyst for both CBC and Rogers Sportsnet.

He faces a tough task turning around the Roughriders, who are third in the Western Division.

At least 13 players are poised to become free agents in the off-season, with another 30 heading into their option in '07. The new GM must try re-signing a lot of players all looking for raises while

adhering to a $3.8-million salary cap the CFL will begin strictly enforcing in 2007.

"If we're successful in Saskatchewan at reaching our goals, the group that's here now will be the core for future success," Tillman said. "There will always be tweaking, there will be trades, but the core group right now is very capable of winning and they will be the backbone of whatever we accomplish."

Shivers and Barrett compiled a 52-64-1 record with head. Between them, they formed the first African-American management team in pro football.

They inherited a team that finished 3-15 in '98 but has made the CFL playoffs the last four years. Still, Saskatchewan hasn't hosted a post-season contest since 1988 and last won the Grey Cup in 1989.

GOBLADESGO#3 (among other aliases)
09-09-2006, 08:49 PM
yes maybe this team does need changes, i am a fan of the riders, and i think this is a good move, they won the labor day matchup, but one thing about tilman...........his hair doesnt match out team colours