PDA

View Full Version : Future Watch: Carey Price

HAF
08-22-2006, 07:03 PM
http://www.canadiens.com/eng/news/redirect.cfm?sectionID=habsNewsDetails.cfm&newsItemID=5136

Future Watch: Carey Price
(08/21/2006)

http://www.canadiens.com/_static/webupload/news/5136_3.jpg The new rules haven't prevented Carey Price from working on his puck-handling skills. MONTREAL - A year after being the goaltending toast of the 2005 NHL Draft at No. 5 overall, Carey Price is now that much closer to protecting the Canadiens’ net. Having blown out the candles on his birthday cake last week, the 19-year-old is eager to blow away the competition at this year’s training camp.

Next month’s rookie camp can’t come soon enough for Price, who is anxious to take the next step towards having his own personal stall in the Canadiens dressing room.

“Having that prior experience under my belt will be a huge asset,” admitted Price, who took part in last year’s training camp, as well as the Canadiens' development camp in July. “When I came in last year, the only guys I really knew were Guillaume Latendresse and Kyle Chipchura, but arriving this time around and knowing what to expect will be a big help.

“The drills Rollie starting teaching me a year ago made everything I needed to do last season that much easier,” added Price. “Rollie is a great coach and a lot of fun to work with. But the main thing is that he really knows his stuff.”

Not to sound like Bob Barker, but Price is right about Melanson whose resumé certainly speaks for itself. After taking a young Jose Theodore under his wing and molding him into an NHL All-Star, Melanson then helped develop Mathieu Garon into an eventual No. 1 goalie. Not to be outdone, Melanson was up to his old tricks last season by taking a virtually-unknown Cristobal Huet to new heights.

With Price waiting in the on-deck circle as one of Melanson’s next pet projects, the Canadiens’ goaltending guru may soon need a foot stool to talk eye-to-eye with the 6-foot-3, blue-chip netminder.

“I’m not sure if I’m still growing, but I am taller than last season,” said Price. “My knees still get achy every once in a while, so I’m not sure if this is it for me height-wise, or if I still have a little ways to go.”

With Price being the first goalie to be selected in the first round by Montreal since Michel “Bunny” Larocque in 1972, the urge on the part of Canadiens fans on message boards and call-in shows everywhere to fast-track his development is understandable, though not always recommended.

The 2005-06 season was proof positive that when it comes to sprouting a young goalie in the NHL, patience is not just a virtue, it’s absolutely vital. Whether it’s the Sabres’ careful grooming of 25-year-old Ryan Miller until he was ready for primetime, or the Hurricanes’ rolling the dice with would-be Conn Smythe winner Cam Ward at age 22, the determination of when a goalie is ready cannot be taken lightly. Twenty-three-year-old Ray Emery seemed prepared to carry the load for the Senators only to be humbled in the playoffs, much like 24-year-old Henrik Lundqvist of the Rangers whose knees also buckled during the postseason.

“Sure I look around and take a snapshot of what’s happening around the league, but I don’t let myself get caught up with that,” admitted Price, who is heading into his third junior season with the WHL’s Tri-City Americans. “Every goalie is different. So, I just believe that it’s going to take whatever time is needed before I’m ready to make that jump.”

But anything is possible. Just ask former Canadiens goalie Jocelyn Thibault who likely never dreamed of reaching the NHL at age 18, before doing exactly that with the Nordiques in 1993-94. Same goes for Marc-Andre Fleury of the Penguins who got his first taste of the NHL as an 18-year-old with the Penguins in 2003-04.

Regardless of what the immediate future holds for Price, his mindset heading into this year’s camp remains unchanged.

“Whenever I arrive at a training camp, even last year straight out of the draft, my goal is the same,” said Price. “Going back to junior doesn’t cross my mind until I’m told that I’m headed to Tri-City. My plan is to stick around as long I can while making the team's choice to send me down as difficult a decision as possible

amshockey_lover4ever
08-23-2006, 12:24 PM
I think that Chet is going to be starter this year and Carey is going to be with the big guys very soon.

Dwight Schrute
08-23-2006, 11:31 PM
wow the ams could really build for the future if they traded price to a contender (no offense but this is his last year and not the ams year) along with toews rights (should he be willing to come)

adding those 2 to any team would be costly(youth high picks) but would be quite the boost

GOBLADESGO#3 (among other aliases)
09-09-2006, 03:14 PM
carey price is in my mind they best goaltender coming into this season, with the americans, price could make this team contending

HAF
09-09-2006, 03:56 PM
Price wont make the Ams contenders this year. I agree with Dannobram on this and think he has more trade value then roster value for us this year. I really hope they trade him as he wont go cheap and we could use the scoring.

Stay-Puft
09-09-2006, 11:33 PM
If he sticks with Montreal, this will be a moot point. I definitely think we'll get a top prospect for Price, but I don't think Toews will be playing in the dub so his rights would be virtually worthless. He'll probably be playing with the big club next year anyway.

GOBLADESGO#3 (among other aliases)
09-12-2006, 08:50 PM
no question he will by with the habs next season i actually dont know where he is playing this year il check it out right now but if hes playing for their farm team he should get a call up at the end of the season

chiefgongshow
09-12-2006, 10:50 PM
If he sticks with Montreal, this will be a moot point. I definitely think we'll get a top prospect for Price, but I don't think Toews will be playing in the dub so his rights would be virtually worthless. He'll probably be playing with the big club next year anyway.
Toews rights are somewhat worthful. I think Spokane traded the rights to Tambellini to Kelowna the year they hosted the cup, but he chose to stay in school. If a contender traded conditional draft picks for Toews, something like a 1st and a player to be agreed upon later if Toews left UND and if he doesnt show Tri would get something like a 6th round pick in 07.

nivek_wahs
09-13-2006, 05:52 AM
Price wont make the Ams contenders this year. I agree with Dannobram on this and think he has more trade value then roster value for us this year. I really hope they trade him as he wont go cheap and we could use the scoring.I agree that he has a higher trade value than roster value considering that the Am's have Pickard ready and waiting in the wings. The only thing with trading a 19 year old goalie that wont be back next year is that the trade might just involve prospects and/or picks probably not scoring, all depends on what teams are willing to give up. I can see a few teams in the market for Price, but are they willing to pay it?

Stay-Puft
09-13-2006, 11:04 AM
According to the Montreal Canadians website, price went 0-1-1 at the rookie tournament, playing 121 minutes and giving up 9 goals against 69 shots, about an 87% save percentage. He lost 6-5 in OT in the 1st game of their tournament, and 3-2 in the championship of the tournament. Justin Pogge was the goalie in the other net for the Maple Leafs in both games. Pogge went 3-0 in his 3 games of the tourney.

chiefgongshow
09-13-2006, 05:43 PM
According to the Montreal Canadians website, price went 0-1-1 at the rookie tournament, playing 121 minutes and giving up 9 goals against 69 shots, about an 87% save percentage. He lost 6-5 in OT in the 1st game of their tournament, and 3-2 in the championship of the tournament. Justin Pogge was the goalie in the other net for the Maple Leafs in both games. Pogge went 3-0 in his 3 games of the tourney.
They are trying bigger nets in that tourney, so I dont know how if any stock is put into the numbers at that tourney.

Stay-Puft
09-13-2006, 06:03 PM
Not putting stock in the numbers (wasn't aware of the bigger nets), just putting the information out there. I looked like Pogge was playing very similar, just too bad Carey came out on the losing end of both close tilts. For comparison, Pogge had 18 saves (1st contest) and 34 saves (2nd contest) and gave up 7 goals, comapared to Carey at 33 and 36. Just useless information for those interested.

Stay-Puft
09-20-2006, 09:28 AM
Looks like Carey had a good game in net last night. Stopped 21 of 22 shots coming in at about the 10 min mark of the 2nd period. Article states that Canadians outshot 19-2 in 3rd, yet Price only gave up 1 goal.

Link for the game recap. Box score link on page.
http://www.canadiens.com/eng/news/redirect.cfm?sectionID=habsNewsDetails.cfm&newsItemID=5169