PDA

View Full Version : Home/Away Jerseys

Kristi
08-23-2006, 09:07 PM
Does anyone know for sure if the teams will be wearing away jerseys at home for the first half of the season?

Just curious!

Thanks!!!!

dj-kris
08-24-2006, 12:45 AM
i hate when the home team wears dark there is no variety in chilliwack it would be black vs white every game in vancouver it would be red vs white in everett it would be green vs white boring :spineyes:

nivek_wahs
08-24-2006, 05:38 AM
If I'm not mistaken the WHL is following in the NHL's footsteps in making the dark jersey the home jersey (gives teams more options, most teams' 3rd jersey's are dark or colored)... At least for the first half of the season like last season.

I myself prefer the home whites... but I am old school (1980's) :laugh:

ihlemic10
08-24-2006, 07:31 AM
I am not too big of a 'home white' fan. I would like to see the home team being able to choose whatever Jersey it wants to wear. Also do we really need white jerseys in a game where the playing surface and walls are white?

Shooter
08-24-2006, 07:36 PM
I like the fact that the NHL went back to wearing dark jerseys at home. And that the WHL followed suit as well. Just wish it was all year and not just until Christmas as its been the past few years.

rinkrat
08-24-2006, 09:07 PM
I like the fact that the NHL went back to wearing dark jerseys at home. And that the WHL followed suit as well. Just wish it was all year and not just until Christmas as its been the past few years.

The problem with NHL teams wearing dark at home is,you never get to see the visiting teams colours.All you get is white.The teams are always the same,Blue and white(at canuck games).
I used to like seeing the visiting teams dark jerseys,the greens of Dallas,the teals of San Jose,the red of the Wings...End of rant.

Shooter
08-24-2006, 10:45 PM
The problem with NHL teams wearing dark at home is,you never get to see the visiting teams colours.All you get is white.The teams are always the same,Blue and white(at canuck games).
I used to like seeing the visiting teams dark jerseys,the greens of Dallas,the teals of San Jose,the red of the Wings...End of rant.

Yeah I can see your point on that. I have felt the other way in the dub though. Its been nice seeing other teams, especialy the teams from the east wear there white jerseys in Seattle.

dj-kris
08-24-2006, 11:59 PM
Yeah I can see your point on that. I have felt the other way in the dub though. Its been nice seeing other teams, especialy the teams from the east wear there white jerseys in Seattle.
yeah thats what i said

LifelongChiefsFan
08-25-2006, 12:49 AM
I prefer the home team wearing the colored jerseys. I remember back in 1993 or 1994 or something like that they had the home team wear colored jerseys for the 2nd half of the season and it was the coolest thing ever (I was young at the time tough).

I almost always prefer a team's white jerseys over their colored ones. The only exception I can think of to this is the Chiefs. I prefer their reds over the whites (probably because I hardly saw anything but the whites for 11 years.) So hopefully (well I hope anyway) that they stick with the home team wearing colored jerseys....at least for the first half of the season.

GOBLADESGO#3 (among other aliases)
08-25-2006, 03:13 AM
when i first heard about the jerseys being vhanged to home wearing dark and away wearing white in the nhl and whl exc i wasnt to fond of the idea but ive grown on it and now enjoy it but it seems that closer to the end of last season the homes were wearing the whites again so im a little confused to what jerseys will be worn where :spineyes:

Jimmypop316
08-25-2006, 04:32 AM
I'm assuming its the same as last year with wearing darks for the first half, and then the whites for the second half. They would have announced a change if they were going to do it

I think thats the best way to go, you get the best of both so it doesn't get that old. I am a fan of the darker jerseys though myself.

Gilbert_Brule_Fan
08-25-2006, 02:29 PM
I think the home team every game should choose whatever jersey they want to wear, making it different on a game by game basis (most of the time) and having visiting teams wear the oposite of the home team....for example: Giants hosting Prince Albert.....Giants wear Red, Albert wears their 3rd Jerseys or something like that, I dunno makes more sense to me...I'm sick of seeing Dark for the first half and boring white for the second.

GOBLADESGO#3 (among other aliases)
08-25-2006, 02:52 PM
i totally agree with you why dont the team choose the jerseys and why are they dark jerseys at home for the 1st half and then whites for home for the 2nd half its retarted

MJCO5
08-25-2006, 04:38 PM
I miss when the home team wore white all the time i hate the stupid switch they do mid season

dondo
08-25-2006, 09:22 PM
well the dark jerseys as home jerseys is simply a marketing move. As said above most thirds are dark coloured. The marketing folks in the NHL realized that the dark jerseys sold much better than the white ones so made the switch purely based upon greed imo.

Historically the home team wore white jerseys to balance off the preceived advantage of wearing dark jerseys. the Home team had the advantage of being at home so to balance off that advantage the away team were in dark jerseys. Dark jerseys were purported to have an advantage as they had a bolder more aggressive tone. This is what I read years back at any rate.

Now both teams wearing dark coloured jerseys is confusing for both fans and the players themselves. the White/Dark gives an obvious distinction between the two teams on the ice. Remember that horrific NHL All-Star game where the marketing folks decided to have two dark jersey for the game (bringing us back to the greed thing ;) ), couldn't tell who was who and you ceased to care (not that you really care in an all-star game anyway -- but w/e) - it was a spectatcular failure.

In the days of black and white TV it was essential to have white and dark of course, but I think it's important to have that distinction nowadays as well. Also if you allow the home teams to choose whatever jersey the casual observer in a bar or whenever would have a hard time determining who was the home team simply from watching the play.

Shooter
08-25-2006, 09:52 PM
well the dark jerseys as home jerseys is simply a marketing move. As said above most thirds are dark coloured. The marketing folks in the NHL realized that the dark jerseys sold much better than the white ones so made the switch purely based upon greed imo.

Historically the home team wore white jerseys to balance off the preceived advantage of wearing dark jerseys. the Home team had the advantage of being at home so to balance off that advantage the away team were in dark jerseys. Dark jerseys were purported to have an advantage as they had a bolder more aggressive tone. This is what I read years back at any rate.

Now both teams wearing dark coloured jerseys is confusing for both fans and the players themselves. the White/Dark gives an obvious distinction between the two teams on the ice. Remember that horrific NHL All-Star game where the marketing folks decided to have two dark jersey for the game (bringing us back to the greed thing ;) ), couldn't tell who was who and you ceased to care (not that you really care in an all-star game anyway -- but w/e) - it was a spectatcular failure.

In the days of black and white TV it was essential to have white and dark of course, but I think it's important to have that distinction nowadays as well. Also if you allow the home teams to choose whatever jersey the casual observer in a bar or whenever would have a hard time determining who was the home team simply from watching the play.

Actualy in the NHL, the home team wore the dark jerseys at home for years. While I am sure there is something to the more money from dark jerseys, part of the switch was to get back to tradition.

N.W. Bruin
08-25-2006, 10:00 PM
Until than it was dark jerseys at home.

About 2/3 down the page on the link it mentions the year that white became the home jersey instead of the coloured jersey. So basically the dark jersey has been the home jersey for far longer period than the whites.

http://www.tmlfever.com/History.html

dondo
08-25-2006, 11:55 PM
I guess I read a bunch of crap then ... :clown: thx NWB and Shooter (you sons of ____ ) :p :D

and NWB did it have to be a Leaf page?? :spineyes:

The_Vulk
08-28-2006, 09:24 PM
I thought one of the reasons the visitors worn the darks was because of how much more difficult it was to clean the whites while on the road.

Personally, I prefer the dark jerseys (be it hockey, football, etc) as it has more character than having a white with a teams logo on it. Boring, IMO.