PDA

View Full Version : arena renovations or NEW arena

Mileflames
08-24-2006, 09:41 AM
The home of the Calgary Flames underwent a $37-million makeover in 1995 — which added 46 suites and 1,440 premium seats in the President’s Club — but left some fans disheartened as they were moved to make room for the additions.

With the Flames mulling whether to give a facelift to the 22-year-old arena or build a new facility, the team’s supporters are worried either option could come with a painful price tag.

The Flames have hired consultants to price out both options and determine if a Saddledome retrofit would be able to accommodate the changes needed to boost the building’s revenue streams.

A new state-of-the-art facility, meanwhile, would cost in the neighbourhood of $250 million.

http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Alberta/2006/08/19/1765819.html

The_Vulk
08-28-2006, 09:39 PM
This is both new news and old news.

There was talk before of building an arena at the old FirePark location (across from Barlow/Maxbell LRT station.

Since they did not specify a possible location if they do decide to build a new arena, one has to wonder if FirePark is still in the equation, and if the Hitmen will be forced to move into it as well, or if they stay in the SaddleDome.

Dont know if the NLL RoughNecks would more or stay, either.

Just another thing the Flames would have to consider about, tenants other than themselves.

RunTheGoalie
08-30-2006, 10:06 PM
I think it pretty much goes without saying that when the Flames build their new arena, the Saddledome is coming down. Calgary simply is not big enough for two major league arenas. The Flames arent going to continue managing the Saddledome if they have their own arena to take care of, and they arent about to split events between the two. The Hitmen would obviously follow the Flames to a new facility, as would the Roughnecks.

Given the choice between paying to maintain an albatross, or tear it down, both the city and the Stampede would choose the latter.

Trav
08-31-2006, 11:15 AM
Whats wrong with the Saddledome? It's one of the best arenas in the country in my opinion. Has a cool look on the outside and inside, well I've watched a hockey game in there and its pretty nice and so dont see why it needs to be tore down if these so called renovations wont work.

We have Saskplace here in Saskatoon and it might just as old as the Saddledome and its still pretty nice.

I think it'd be a waste for the city of Calgary to tear down an icon of the city and build a new rink. All it'll benefit is probably the rich people that can watch the games from the suites and so on.

Mileflames
08-31-2006, 01:40 PM
-Two things

The demand for tickets are very high. Flames season tickets are worth more, then the oil in the ground. The new dome would permit more people to see the game.

The concourse and facilities are too small or out dated. There is only so much they can do with the domes structure. They can’t move the walls out because of something to-do with they way the building was built.

RunTheGoalie
08-31-2006, 03:42 PM
I would actually be shocked if the new Dome sat more fans than the Saddledome does. 19,000 will likely be the maximum. There needs to be a balance between supply and demand, and the current capacity to demand is about what the Flames want. However, when the team next hits a low point, and demand isnt there, a giant arena is nothing but a financial headache. Just ask the Tampa Bay Lightning who built an arena that can fit 23,000 fans becuase they put in 30,000 for a playoff game at a baseball stadium. I've seen that place full to the brim, but back when they got 15-16,000 per game that place must seem like the Dome when the Hitmen are playing.

Mileflames
09-05-2006, 05:50 PM
I would actually be shocked if the new Dome sat more fans than the Saddledome does. 19,000 will likely be the maximum. There needs to be a balance between supply and demand, and the current capacity to demand is about what the Flames want. However, when the team next hits a low point, and demand isnt there, a giant arena is nothing but a financial headache. Just ask the Tampa Bay Lightning who built an arena that can fit 23,000 fans becuase they put in 30,000 for a playoff game at a baseball stadium. I've seen that place full to the brim, but back when they got 15-16,000 per game that place must seem like the Dome when the Hitmen are playing.

Very good point.

My worry about renovating the dome....

The Flames are discussion adding more boxes.
If they renovate the dome again to add more boxes, it could mean a loss of 2000+ seats.

This won’t affect the hitmen to much, but it will change the feel of the dome.

RunTheGoalie
09-08-2006, 12:47 PM
From what I have read, the concept of retrofitting the Dome (again) is merely a due dilligence thing. The cost of renovating is unlikely to be justified.

The_Vulk
09-10-2006, 05:30 PM
The concept of the Flames building a new arena seems to be what will happen. (But how much they will attempt to force tax-payers to suppliment the co$t$...)

That the "OLYMPIC" Saddledome being torn down, NO.

As it IS an offical Olympic venue, and as such tearing it down is not something to do lightly. Tearing down the Corral, IMO, would be something that would/should have been done first, before even thinking about the "Olympic" Saddledome.

Mileflames
09-11-2006, 12:26 AM
The concept of the Flames building a new arena seems to be what will happen. (But how much they will attempt to force tax-payers to suppliment the co$t$...)

That the "OLYMPIC" Saddledome being torn down, NO.

As it IS an offical Olympic venue, and as such tearing it down is not something to do lightly. Tearing down the Corral, IMO, would be something that would/should have been done first, before even thinking about the "Olympic" Saddledome.

I was at the spring 2006 meetings for Stampede Park. The flames are looking at two areas. One is where the big four building is and the other is off park.

What was said - When the Flames build a new rink. The dome will come down. There is no need for two venues that size in Calgary and Stampede Park wants the land.