PDA

View Full Version : Blades overagers down to 4...

Trav
08-24-2006, 04:02 PM
with the signing of Barnes by the Carolina Hurricanes. Chances are he's headed to the AHL, wont be back.

That leaves Rabbit, Schulz, Cole, Logan.

Could see Logan and a forward moved for a 19 yr old forward seeing how Setoguchi is the only 19 on the team and who knows if he'll even be back.

That might actually give Leslie a chance but highly doubt it, no offense to the guy but id go with three of the four above.

GOBLADESGO#3 (among other aliases)
08-24-2006, 08:30 PM
i dont get it, why isnt andrew leslie are number one or at least one of our guys?

Trav
08-24-2006, 08:50 PM
the Blades will be somewhat rebuilding so it doesnt hurt to have Holtby as the starter and a backup that maybe could play 20-30 games. Also having two overaged d-men would certainly give the defense leadership and expierence on the backend and would probably be a good help to Holtby.

Here's who they could have on the blueline...

Cole
Schulz or Logan
Vishnak
Ward
Panchyson
Funk
Zahn - having Zahn as the 7th d-men would be nice, that way u dont have to rush him. He

Got five expierenced d-men there, 6th with Visnak having Czech Jr. expierence.

08-25-2006, 12:53 AM
but leslies a vertern player and where is he going to go next season, to the sjhl?

SectionNDeserter
08-25-2006, 05:39 AM
but leslies a vertern player and where is he going to go next season, to the sjhl?Or to a CIAU team.

nivek_wahs
08-25-2006, 05:53 AM
Re: Andrew Leslie

Training camp hasn't even started... This isn't fair to write him off already, he should be given the opportunity to prove his worth. He might not be the best goalie in the WHL but give him a chance. Molleken must have had a reason to acquire Leslie or he wouldn't have done it... IMO.

SectionNDeserter
08-25-2006, 06:48 AM
One thing I will say about Leslie, is that he must have a lot of character/personality to have hung in the WHL so long with such a poor work ethic/record, and to get another shot at the WHL as an overage player. Maybe he will be the assistant GM of the Islanders next season? :D

nivek_wahs
08-25-2006, 07:11 AM
One thing I will say about Leslie, is that he must have a lot of character/personality to have hung in the WHL so long with such a poor work ethic/record, and to get another shot at the WHL as an overage player. Maybe he will be the assistant GM of the Islanders next season? :D

The work ethic I can't question... as I have only seen him in action a few times. So that I can't argue.

But his career record is 27 Wins - 27 Losses - 4 Ties - 2 SOL - 2 OTL... That isn't that bad for a career back-up. Also he has a career 2.98 GAA and .895 SV% http://whl.ca/en/stats/player.php?id=24142. What's so bad about that?

Why doesn't he deserve a shot to at least prove himself... worthy or not?

Maybe Molleken is eyeing a replacement for him when he is done in Saskatoon? :D :p

SectionNDeserter
08-25-2006, 07:34 AM
The work ethic I can't question... as I have only seen him in action a few times. So that I can't argue.After watching him for parts of 2 seasons, I can say he definately has the physical attributes to be a good goaltender, all of his problems lie in his work ethic and mental toughness

But his career record is 27 Wins - 27 Losses - 4 Ties - 2 SOL - 2 OTL... That isn't that bad for 17 or 18 year old Also he has a career 2.98 GAA and .895 SV% Fixed that for you :)

Why doesn't he deserve a shot to at least prove himself... worthy or not?This would be his fourth shot at proving himself, how many should he get?

Maybe Molleken is eyeing a replacement for him when he is done in Saskatoon? :D :pHe better be careful, I heard somewhere that that the Islanders patented it. :D

nivek_wahs
08-25-2006, 07:41 AM
^
Okay I give up, sorry Leslie there is too many against you. :dead:

...So I guess he doesn't make the team and becomes Saskatoon's Assistant GM. :D

...By the time anyone reads this the Islanders might have a new Coach and or GM :thumb:

Trav
08-25-2006, 12:20 PM
Not trying to write the guy off but if the team is going to rebuild why not give Holtby most of the playing time, its not like he'll have a inexpierenced group of defensemen in front of him and no point wasting a twenty year old spot on a backup.

There's another goaltender coming to camp that could be a decent backup and isnt a twenty year old. Wont say who it is but he's has some WHL expierence and from what I have heard has accepted the invite to camp by Molleken.

08-25-2006, 01:36 PM
i positive that andrew will come up sooner or later in the season if hes having a good one wherever he plays, and im not related to cameron reid because my last name is read lol but what happened to him???, oh and dont be suprised if he actually because assistant gm for the islanders

Trav
08-25-2006, 11:41 PM
dropped from the Blades list awhile back. There was an article about some new additions and players that were dropped from the list in the paper here and Reid was one of the ones dropped if Im not mistaken.

Pirate005
08-26-2006, 06:00 PM
Don't know why you couldn't tell everyone Trav...I've emailed you twice etc...Why not share?

Trav
08-26-2006, 09:11 PM
I never said it was James Reimer, why the hell would I say that? Stop making up stuff. Reimer is on the Rebels. I've been told not to reveal his name in case he decides not to show up after all. I probably shouldnt have even said anything lol.

08-27-2006, 12:56 AM
watch it dude dont get kicked out like i tend to do for my disliking of the pa raiders because of the discust i felt in 2004-05 in the playoffs

nivek_wahs
08-28-2006, 06:44 AM
Not trying to write the guy off but if the team is going to rebuild why not give Holtby most of the playing time, its not like he'll have a inexpierenced group of defensemen in front of him and no point wasting a twenty year old spot on a backup.

So the thread should have actually read "Blades overagers down to 5..." Training camp is where battles are won and lost. Leslie could come in and just have an awful camp or he could come in with something to prove and maybe be an amazing pickup (or not).

I remember reading that there were some other good young Blades goalies in the system, the names escape me. If that's the case and the Blades are indeed rebuilding... Maybe Holtby will be leverage in a trade (Molleken is known for that right? :D ... That is if Leslie has an amazing camp. If not this whole discussion can be tossed aside... never to be mentioned again.. :laugh:

But hey I am just defending the guy.

I am eagerly anticipating a response from Trav and/or SectionNDeserter :thumb:

SectionNDeserter
08-28-2006, 07:26 AM
The problem I have with players like Leslie is this; The WHL is a developmental league for the NHL. While the teams have been picking up Leslie in the hopes that he will become a good goaltender, he hasn't come close in 3 seasons. The goaltending position in itself is a tough position to break into in Major Junior. So many players are competing for 2 roster slots (and WHL teams generally don't carry a 3rd goalie on their roster for a long period of time). So while he might be marginally better than a 16 year old rookie goaltender, Saskatoon is helping to develop Leslie for CIAU hockey (or lower?) next season--while at the same time taking the opportunity away from another young player who they could be developing for the NHL (or at least pro hockey).