PDA

View Full Version : Americans Prepare for Training Camp

Stay-Puft
08-24-2006, 05:03 PM
Out of the thousands of youth hockey players around the world, only a select few get to experience life as a professional hockey player.

For the Tri-City Americans' 2006 first-round Bantam pick, center Jason Gardiner knows just how lucky he is to be a part of that tradition.

"It was a thrill to be drafted," said Gardiner. "I felt relieved and I knew I went to a good team (Tri-City)."

Gardiner, along with the Americans second-round pick, Adam Hughesman, will be two of 40 rookies showcasing their talent during the Tri-City Americans Rookie Camp, set to kick off Thursday, August 24th at the Toyota Center. Camp invitees will be run through a rigorous set of drills and fitness testing, concluding with the Rookie Blue vs. White game on Sunday at 9 AM at the Toyota Center in Kennewick.

Rookie camp is every player’s chance to make their mark on the coaching staff, with the opportunity to live their dream as a professional player in their hands. However, this will be the first opportunity for head coach Don Nachbaur and the Americans to test their two top draft picks.

Gardiner, the eighth-overall pick in this year’s draft, not only has the attention of the Americans’ coaching staff, but plenty of expectations placed on him as well. The International Scouting Service (ISS) describes Gardiner as “a tremendous specimen in terms of size and skills.” “(Gardiner) has a great frame and possesses the skating skills, and offensive talent, to fit in well at the WHL level. A top-end offensive player who dominates along the boards and wears defensemen down each time he is on the ice,” ISS continues.

At 6’1”, 180 pounds, Americans general manager/governor Bob Tory knows players like Gardiner do not come along every year. "Gardiner is an exceptional player that has great vision and playmaking skills, who compliments our forwards," Tory explained. “Jason will be a key part of our team for years to come. He is the complete package.”

Gardiner had a breakout year this season playing for the Winnipeg Sharks (AAA Bantam), recording 27 goals, 52 points and 66 penalty minutes in 30 games. He was also named to the all-star team at the Western Canadian Bantam Championships, where the Sharks finished in third place.

Hughesman, however, at 5’11”, 175 pounds, does not look to be overshadowed by his teammate. ISS depicts the left wing as “a smooth skating, talented forward with a quick release and is a super passer.” “His offensive skills are undeniable and he has learned to become a bit more aggressive,” they continue.

Hughesman also had a successful year, notching 31 goals, 57 points and 24 penalty minutes in 29 games. “Adam is a highly skilled player who plays with passion and possesses speed,” Tory details. “He has a natural scoring touch and is very proficient in special team situations. He will have a big impact on our team.”

Hughesman and Gardiner, both 15, will return to Manitoba and compete at the midget level this season, before they become eligible to compete in the Western Hockey League next season. However, both prospects will likely be invited back for the Americans main training camp, which starts on Monday, August 28th, and should stay with the team through the Red Lion Hotels Pre-Season Tournament, which begins on Friday, September 8th at the Toyota Center.

“We are really looking forward to watching what our rookies can bring to the table,” Tory said. “This is their opportunity to be successful with their careers and there are always some surprises in talent. The Americans are fortunate to have a great group of young players coming in and we are excited to see what they can offer,” he concluded.

Stay-Puft
08-25-2006, 01:00 PM
Interesting side note after reading a story in the Tri-City Herald that Kyle Birch, 16, is in town for training camp. He was also here last year. I am almost wondering if we may be getting ready to trade Price. I know he will be going to Canadians camp so we will need (2) goalies for the camps and for the pre-season games, but it makes me wonder a little bit.

Also, anyone gone to the rookie camp yet?

Stay-Puft
08-25-2006, 01:05 PM
This story was published Thursday, August 24th, 2006

By Annie Fowler, Herald staff writer

Jason Gardiner got off the bus Wednesday morning in Kennewick, unfolding his 6-foot-1, 180-pound frame after a 26-hour ride from his hometown of Winnipeg, Manitoba.

The Tri-City Americans 2006 first-round bantam pick (eighth overall) was a little tired, citing it was hard to sleep on the bus.

It's something he knows he will have to get used to.

"If it's for hockey, I'll do it," Gardiner said.

Gardiner, along with about 40 other players and parents, is in town for the Americans rookie camp -- for players 15 and 16 years old -- that begins at 9 a.m. today at Toyota Center. The camp will run through Sunday, with the Blue-White scrimmage game at 9 a.m.

"We've had a rookie camp, but it was mixed in with the main camp," said Americans general manager Bob Tory. "The idea for the change is so that the days aren't so long and our staff can concentrate on the younger players while they are here. It's important to see their potential with players their own age."

Gardiner and second-round pick Adam Hughesman, also of Winnipeg, will participate in the rookie camp, stay over for the main camp and the preseason tournament.

"This organization and Bob (Tory) make sure you know what is going on," said Gardiner's dad, Dave. "He makes you feel comfortable about leaving him here."

If Jason had his way, he would stay for the season.

"I can't wait to play here," Gardiner said. "I always wanted to play in the Dub (Western Hockey League)."

The high-scoring forward is looking forward to playing with the veterans and against goalie Carey Price during his two-week stay.

"I'll try and score on him. I can't make him look good," Gardiner said with a smile. "I'd rather play with the older players -- it's a challenge and it will make be a better player."

Goalie Kyle Birch of Winnipeg is making his second trip to training camp, but unlike defensemen and forwards, 16-year-old goalies generally don't get an invitation to stay for the season, especially with players like Price and Chet Pickard in front of them.

"I don't have a problem with that," Birch said. "I have other options back home. Hopefully, I can get in here next year behind Chet. I had a lot of fun here last year and I'm excited to spend two weeks here with the team and learn from Carey."

The rookie camp will give Tory a glimpse at the Americans' future, which looks promising after the team's top two 2005 bantam picks -- defensemen Eric Mestery and Tyler Schmidt -- and Gardiner and Hughesman signed contracts with the team.

"Our top two picks the last two years have signed and that is huge," Tory said. "There is no more speculating. We can plan on who will be here. It was tough during the (Jonathan) Toews years, but now we can plan and focus on our team."

Stay-Puft
08-25-2006, 01:07 PM
This story was published Thursday, August 24th, 2006

By Annie Fowler, Herald staff writer

Aaron Boogaard, Jarrett Toll, Taylor Procyshen and a few other Tri-City American veterans were on the Toyota Center ice Thursday afternoon, taking advantage of the hour of ice time set aside for them.

Joining the veterans were defenseman Jon Smith and right wing Tanner Gillies, who came to the Americans via a trade with Red Deer in June, and Juraj Valach and Daniel Bartek, who were selected in the June CHL European draft.

But an hour of ice per day is all the veterans will get until the team's main camp opens Monday.

Until then, the club's 15- and 16-year-old players are on the ice for rookie camp.

Defenseman Tyler Schmidt, the Americans' 2005 second-round bantam draft pick, arrived at the camp with an impressive resum, helping the Winnipeg Thrashers win the AAA midget Manitoba provincial title and advance to the Telus Cup Western Regional Championship.

Now, he and Thrashers teammate Eric Mestery will be called upon to play big roles this season. General manager Bob Tory had to revamp the blue line with the early exit of Logan Stephenson and the loss of Landon Jones to Chilliwack in the Western Hockey League expansion draft.

"This is a great opportunity," Schmidt said after Thursday's workout. "We've been preparing over the last year and we feel we can take on the challenge. I expect to make an impact."

Just as impressive, but on the offensive side of the game, is 2006 second-round pick Adam Hughesman, also of Winnipeg.

Hughesman arrived on the charter bus along with several other players and parents Wednesday, and he has been impressed with everything from the trip to his first session on the ice.

"It was nice coming here with all my friends," said Hughesman, who is friends with Schmidt, Mestery and 2006 first-round pick Jason Gardiner. "It's beautiful here. It's nice to travel and see the states and see what's happening outside of Winnipeg."

Hughesman led the Sharks in scoring last season with 31 goals and 68 points in 29 games, helping the team advance to the Western Canadian Bantam AAA Championships, where it took the bronze medal.

He also was named MVP for the Winnipeg AAA Bantam Hockey League, Division I.

"I think I fit into their mold," Hughesman said. "Hopefully in the next couple of years I can come in and contribute."

Tory's link with Winnipeg players stems back to 2003, when the Americans drafted Jonathan Toews with the first overall pick in the bantam draft.

Despite Toews spurning the Americans to play at the University of North Dakota, Tory kept going back to the Winnipeg well, taking goalie Chet Pickard in the fifth round in 2004, Mestery and Schmidt in 2005 and Gardiner and Hughesman this year.

"With the bantam draft, you don't have a lot of places to go," Tory said. "We rank our players on ability regardless of where they live. Winnipeg is a long way from a lot of teams, but they have had very successful minor hockey league programs the last few years and you go where the talent is."

AmsPhotos
08-25-2006, 03:51 PM
I don't think Birch being in camp means they are shopping Price. Birch will get playing time while Price is gone to Canadiens camp and will also probably get an extended call up if Price gets selected to the Canadian Junior Team. If, and I repeat if, they decide to move Price there will probably be a WHL goalie coming back our way, so it isn't a given that would result in a permanent call up for Birch.