PDA

View Full Version : Fight highlights Day 1

Tipped Off
08-25-2006, 12:47 PM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/npthree/Tips%20Stuff/tipsfight2_246.jpg
Jennifer Bucnahan / The Herald
A referee pulls red team member Eric English (left) off of Brandon Worthly after the two got into a fight during the first day of scrimmages at the Silvertips rookie camp on Thursday.

First impressions
Rookies hope to give the Everett coaches a good showing in the first day of the Silvertips rookie training camp on Thursday.

By Nick Patterson
Herald Writer

EVERETT - The overriding atmosphere at the Everett Events Center on Thursday was one of hope.

The Everett Silvertips officially began preparations for the upcoming WHL season Thursday with the opening of their rookie training camp, and the collection of players participating could best be described as the hopeful.

Some came to camp hoping to make the team. Others came hoping just not to embarrass themselves.

But all of them came hoping to leave an impression on the coaching staff. Thursday was the first step toward making that impression a positive one.

"I thought it was good," Everett coach Kevin Constantine said about his first-day impressions. "Obviously when you come to camp and have your first high-level scrimmage of the last four months, it's going to take a couple scrimmages to see exactly what these guys have to offer. But I thought it was a good day one, and by the time we roll around to the Green-White scrimmage on Sunday we'll see some pretty good talent for the future of this team."

A total of 77 players were on hand for the opening of rookie camp. That included 19 of the Everett's 24 bantam draft picks from the last two years. Thursday the players went through speed testing, then skated scrimmages as the players were divided into four teams.

"It was a good new experience," said 15-year-old forward Kellan Tochkin, Everett's first-round pick in this year's bantam draft. "It was a little stressful, but once we get more into the week and into main camp it'll feel a lot better.

"The first period of our scrimmage I was terrible, but I felt a lot more comfortable in the second," added Tochkin, who scored two goals in helping his Grey team tie the Blue team 5-5.

No veterans are participating in rookie camp - they don't begin training until Monday. The vast majority participating this week are either 1990-born players, who would be 16-year-old rookies, or 1991-born players, who are too young to play in the WHL this season. Therefore, it's unlikely more than a handful of those attending will make the Silvertips.

However, that doesn't mean there isn't anything to play for.

Someone like 16-year-old forward Matt Ius, who played three games for the Tips last season, is hoping to ultimately make the opening-night roster.

"I just want to establish my dominance, show that I can play at the WHL level," Ius said. "I've just got to keep my feet moving and stay focused on the game.

"Being 16 years old, it's an honor to try and make this team because every year they put out a great team," Ius added. "If I make it that would be awesome, but if not I've just got to keep going and push for next year."

Others like Tochkin are hoping to show they belong in Everett's future.

"I just want to play my game in rookie camp, see how things go," Tochkin said. "I want to get more and more into the atmosphere and level, then in main camp just pick up my play a little more and feel a little more comfortable.

"I can't wait until main camp to step onto the ice with (Zach) Hamill and all those guys," Tochkin added. "It's going to be a new experience, but it should be fun."

There were a few notable no shows. The most prominent was defenseman Max Nicastro, a 1990-born Californian who Everett acquired in an offseason trade with Prince Albert for a conditional draft pick. Nicastro, who is playing for Omaha in the United States Hockey League this season, was not scheduled to attend. Everett doesn't have to surrender a draft pick until Nicastro plays in a game for the Tips.

Also missing were talented forwards Ryan White (Everett's seventh-round pick in 2006) and Zach Budish (11th round in 2006). Both White, from Colorado, and Budish, from Minnesota, would have gone earlier in the draft, but are believed to be favoring the NCAA route.

One prominent player who was present but did not participate was forward Kyle Beach. Beach, the Tips' first-round pick in the 2005 bantam draft who acquitted himself well when called up by Everett last season, is nursing a shoulder injury. It's hoped he'll be ready in time for the main camp.

Beaner
08-25-2006, 12:49 PM
Any word on when Beach got that injury?

Is it a nagging injury from the playoffs, or just a summer training incident?

ihlemic10
08-28-2006, 01:27 PM
Green White game had a decent scrap, just wish the players could skate alittle better during it...

ihlemic10
08-28-2006, 01:29 PM
Any word on when Beach got that injury?

Is it a nagging injury from the playoffs, or just a summer training incident?

It was a injury preparing for a boxing tournament. He expects not to miss any regular season games. Didn't appear to be too serious yesterday.