PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Ben Wright

Scout
08-27-2006, 09:15 AM
Ben Wright hasn't had much time to relax this summer.

Instead, the Lethbridge Hurricanes defenseman has been hard at work getting ready for the upcoming 2006-07 WHL season.

After enjoying a solid rookie campaign with the 'Canes in 2005-06, and then hearing his name called by the Columbus Blue Jackets (4th round, 113th overall) at the 2006 NHL draft in June, Wright expects to play a more prominent role on what is shaping up to be a young but talented Hurricanes team this season.

To ready himself for the challenge, the 18-year-old product of Foremost, AB, has spent the majority of the off-season working out and training in Lethbridge with several other WHL players.

While Wright's heavy training regimen may mean less summer down time, he knows that his off-season commitment will help him when the time comes to step onto the ice in September.

Ben Wright's Perspective

On his summer...
"It's been going really well. I've been working really hard, and spending a lot of time at the gym in Lethbridge with some other guys from the WHL like Colton Yellow Horn, Devin Setoguchi and Kris Versteeg. I haven't really had time for vacation or to go anywhere, but my weekends have been pretty relaxing."

On his off-season training regimen...
"I have been going six or seven times a week...almost every day. I've really worked on my foot speed and my skating by doing a lot of power skating. It's an area people have told me that I should work on. As training camp gets closer, I'll probably start working out twice a day."

On looking ahead to the Hurricanes' 2006-07 season...
"I'm really excited about this season. Last year, we had so many really young players who were really great for us, and contributed as 16 and 17-year-olds. They are ready to step it up this year. We'll have a couple other really good 16-year-olds coming in this year. I'm expecting it to be a very good team."

On the Hurricanes' young stars...
"Our goalie, Justin Leclerc, was only 16 last season and he came in a took over the number one job at the end of the year and really played well in the playoffs against Calgary. He'll be a great goalie in this league for the next few years. Zach Boychuk had 50 points as a 16-year-old last season playing with Yellow Horn, so he knows how to score in this league. My roommate last year, Dwight King, is a really big and talented guy who is just starting to come on strong...he could be a dominant player."

On his goals and expectations for the upcoming season...
"I'm going into the season trying to have a bigger leadership role. Last year was my first year in the league, so I wasn't sure what to expect. This year, I can be ready right from the start of training camp. I just want to build on what I did last season, and keep improving."

Jesse Watts
whl.ca
© Canadian Hockey League 2006

Scout