PDA

View Full Version : Blazer Camp 2006

SeventhHeaven4U
08-27-2006, 12:52 PM
It really saddens me to see that the Blazers are constantly belittled and no one seems to give a damn about their team. Hey KBF, where've you been?? Nothing constructive to say about them?? I thought you'd have something to say with camp already underway.....Here's my contribution for those who are interested in what's happening in Kamloops.

*Following are taken from OurSportsCentral and the Blazer website*

Result Day 2

Team Grey has claimed the advantage in the Blazers' rookie tournament following a thrilling 4-3 win over Team Orange last night.

Orange built a quick 3-0 lead on two goals by Zack Soprovich and a single from Spencer Bennett. However, Team Grey battled back to tie, got three penalty shot saves from Dalyn Flette, then claimed victory on Kyle Reynolds' second of the game with 3-and-a-half minutes left. Justin Chadwick and Richard Vanderhoek also score for the winners.

Grey is now at 2-and-0 while Orange drops to 0-and-2.

Meanwhile, Team White got into the win column with a hard-fought 3-2 win over Team Blue. Mark Kamprath, Jake Trask and Shayne Wiebe scored for the winners while Aaron Klatt had both goals in a losing cause.

Both Blue and White are now 1-and-1.

LEADING SCORERS

Here are the top goal-getters two days into the rookie tournament:

Brandon Thompson - 3 Aaron Klatt - 3 Jimmy Bubnick - 2 Mark Hall - 2 Kyle Reynolds - 2 Justin Chadwick - 2 Tyler Shattock - 2 Jared Sweet - 2 Zack Soprovich - 2 14 players with 1 each

VET NOTES

Former Blazer Brett Draney was skating with the veterans during their informal practice Friday afternoon...along with Devan Dubnyk and Erik Christensen. New imports Juuso Puustinen and Ivan Rohac also skated with their new teammates for the first time.

SATURDAY SCHEDULE

Morning practices await the rookies to kick off Day Three on Saturday. Scrimmages are once against 5:45 (Grey 2-0 vs Blue 1-1) and 7:45 (White 1-1 vs Orange 0-2).

MAIN CAMP...

...starts Sunday at Interior Savings Centre with a pair of evening skates for all returnees and non-rookies (aged 17 and older).

SeventhHeaven4U
08-27-2006, 12:57 PM
Anyone have any opinions/info on the team?

BLAZER ROOKIE CAMP OPENS

The Kamloops Blazers opened their 2006 Training Camp on Thursday night with a pair of scrimmages...the first two games in this year's rookie tournament. In the opener, Team Grey defeated Team White by a 5-3 score. Local product Mark Hall scored twice for Team Grey with singles coming from Justin Chadwick, Matt Chomyc, and Justin Craig. Team White got goals from Jordan Rowley, Kelly Waller, and Matt Riley. Dalyn Flette and Andrew Lines shared the victory in goal. Game two saw Team Blue rally for an 8-6 win over Team Orange. Brandon Thompson notched a hat-trick while 2006 first-rounder Jimmy Bubnick added a pair. Josh Caron and Sam Vikich picked up singles. 2005 first-round pick Tyler Shattock and Jared Sweet had two each in a losing cause. Singles came from Blayze Bruyer and Aaron Ranahan. John Groenheyde and Darren Douglas were the winning goalies.

SeventhHeaven4U
08-27-2006, 01:00 PM
Results of final day of Rookie Camp. Main camp begins tomorrow.

DAY THREE

ROOKIE CAMP - DAY THREE

Team Grey remains unbeaten at the Rookie Tournament...following a convincing 6-2 win over Team Blue in the early game on Saturday night.

Grey built a 5-1 lead before a multi-fight situation developed midway through the second period. Six players were involved, in all, showing the intensity has increased sufficiently.

Aaron Klatt and Jimmy Bubnick scored for Blue while Matt Chomyc with 2, Kyle Reynolds, Richard Vanderhoek, Andrew Williams, and Baxter Niziol supplied the offense for the winners...who are now off to today's Gold Medal Final...to face...

...Team White, who posted a 4-2 win over Team Orange in the nightcap. Paul Van de Velde picked up the hat-trick while Matt Riley's lone goal was the winner. Tyler Shattock and Alex Balfour replied for Orange.

The championship game goes at 11:30...while Orange and Blue play for third at 9.

SCORING LEADERS (GOALS)

Aaron Klatt - 4
Tyler Shattock - 3
Paul Van de Velde - 3
Brandon Thompson - 3
Jimmy Bubnick - 3
Matt Chomyc - 3
Kyle Reynolds - 3
6 players tied with 2 each

MAIN CAMP OPENS MONDAY

KBF
08-27-2006, 01:48 PM
A MJ fan posting Blazer recaps....hmmm. Anyways pardon us Kamloopsians, we've gone through hell and back the last few years, we've had management backstab us, **** ass product on the ice, this organization has been a 3 ring circus. You couldn't possibly understand what we have gone through. I can almost bet if any other team in the league had a million dollars stolen, they would be done for. The board has alienated the fans, and theres been ALOT of damage between the board and the fans.

I will give you my opinion later today regarding the current team.

KTownBois
08-27-2006, 02:28 PM
Why hate on the MooseJaw Fan? I was curious about the cam myself, and no one else seemed to be posting anything...

KBF
08-27-2006, 04:10 PM
Wasn't ripping on him. But people are saying oh you Blazer fans need to stick to your team, yada yada yada. Well, Kamloops is one of the most stable fanbases in all of junior hockey. But after having years of being made fools of, what do you expect?

Anyways onto the team itself. Here who is coming back.

OA-Jorgensen, Kassian, Macias

19's-Delorande, Bender, Nixon, Mason,

18's-Puustinenn, Rohac, Ellerby, Bartley, Skrudland, Dowd, Maniago

17's-Stretch, Dunstall, Thiessen, Kramer, Rodgers, Favero

16's-Rowley, Torbohm, Shattock, Van de Velde

Players to watch for-Gotta look out for Stretch and Dunstall, those 2 showed alot of ability in their rookie seasons last year and given the new rules that are now in place, these 2 should shine and put up some solid numbers. Same goes for the likes of Macias, Jorgensen and Nixon, all 3 SHOULD excel big time in the new style WHL, there could actually be 2 very good offensive lines coming in this year, plus add in the 2 new imports who right now are a crapshoot but have the potential to be a couple of snipers. Time will only tell.

GF71
08-28-2006, 07:03 PM
Can anybody tell me how Kevin Kraus has looked so far at camp? He is a huge body that the Blazers could surely use. Any information is appriciated.

scamperdog
08-28-2006, 08:55 PM
Can anybody tell me how Kevin Kraus has looked so far at camp? He is a huge body that the Blazers could surely use. Any information is appriciated.
Couple of paragraphs about him in this story
www.kamloopsnews.ca
It’s time for Blazers to get down to business
by Gregg Drinnan

The prospects have come and many of them now have gone.

Yes, it is time for the Kamloops Blazers to get down to serious business. Not that the WHL team’s rookie camp, which ran from Thursday through Sunday, was no big deal.

But when you’re coming off a season that included a mid-season coaching change and the ignominy of not making the playoffs for the first time in franchise history, well, you can bet that there will be a sense of urgency when the veterans, free-agent invitees and a few holdovers from rookie camp begin main camp this morning at the Interior Savings Centre.

When the Blazers’ final roster is set, it likely will include 23 players, and there could be as many as 10 new faces.

Assuming that goaltender Devan Dubnyk, 20, ends up playing professionally, Mike Maniago will assume the starter’s role, with a new face — Kurt Kramer? Dalyn Flette? Brennan Jones? — as the backup.

On defence, you can ink in Victor Bartley, Ryan Bender, Keaton Ellerby, Ray Macias, Garrett Thiessen and Ryan White. You can bet that Jordan Rowley, 16, will be here when the smoke clears. The likes of Chris Favero, Kevin Kraus and Joel Woznikoski, all 17, and Kurt Torbohm 16, will get serious looks.

Kraus, from Garden Grove, Calif., played midget AAA with the Los Angeles Jr. Kings two seasons ago before moving to the junior B Washington Totems last season. He has good size but his work ethic has been questioned. He is a younger brother to Vancouver Giants centre Tim Kraus, who had a break-through season in 2005-06.

“Kevin is a bit of a dark horse,” Dean Clark, the Blazers’ general manager and head coach, says. “Physically, size-wise, and as far as his skating, I think he can play. I would like to see how bad Kevin wants to play. His brother plays in Vancouver and shows a lot of drive and determination. That’s what we need to see out of Kevin.”

Woznikoski, from Surrey, was one of the pleasant surprises at last year’s training camp, after which he was placed on the Blazers’ protected list. He went on to play for the junior B Richmond Sockeyes.

“Here’s a guy who has been here all summer, working out with Victor Bartley,” Clark says. “He has put in his time and wants to be here; he has shown that determination. Now he has to show us the ability to play the game and do what we want.

“Obviously, his being here all summer is going to help his cause; if we have two players of equal ability and he is one of them, the work ethic that we have seen will probably put him over the top.”

It is among the forward ranks where there are more vacancies than in a roach motel. There are eight returning forwards and they combined for 77 goals last season, 26 of those coming from Brock Nixon and 24 from Reid Jorgensen.

Should all eight returnees stick around — which isn’t likely — and you toss in freshman imports Juuso Puustinen and Ivan Rohac, there are four openings, assuming there will be 14 forwards on the final roster. Chances are, however, more than four young forwards will play their way onto this team.

There are at least nine fresh-faced youngsters, each of them a bantam draft selection, with better-than-decent chances of wintering in the Tournament Capital — Cody Bogner, Brenden Dowd and Alex Rodgers are 17 years of age; Matt Chomyc, Mark Hall, Todd Kennedy, Tyler Shattock, Paul Van de Velde and Shayne Wiebe all are 16.

Of that group, two players — Dowd and Rodgers — are going to come in for special attention. This was an offensively challenged team last season and these two have shown they can create offence.

Dowd, 18, may be on the bubble more than anyone else in the organization. The 33rd selection in the 2003 bantam draft, he was close to sticking last season before returning to the midget AAA Saskatoon Blazers, for whom he has a two-season total of 100 points, including 65 assists, in 88 games. Last season, he was fifth in the Saskatchewan midget AAA league‚s scoring race, with 54 points, and led the league in assists (35).

Dowd’s biggest misfortune is having a Dec. 31 birthday — he was born on New Year’s Eve of 1988; had he been born one day later, he would be 17 for hockey, the same age as Bogner, Rodgers, Kraus and Woznikoski.

“I think (Dowd) has to make it here or . . .,” Clark says. “(His birthday) may have had a little bit to do with why he didn’t stick around last year. But he had a great season in the Saskatchewan midget league and I assume that he is hungry.”

Rodgers, from Salmon Arm, has put together two terrific seasons — 68 games, 100 points — with the major midget Thompson Blazers since being the second-last player taken in the 2004 bantam draft. He led the B.C. major midget league in assists (38) and points (63) last season.

“The rule change is a very positive thing for Alex,” Clark says, referring to the WHL’s decision to use the NHL’s obstruction standard this season. “From the hashmarks in and around the net, he is very gifted. He has the ability to score some goals. But in order for Alex to stick around, he can’t be intimidated by playing with older players. He’s got to be able to play the game and understand that he fits in as well as anybody else.”

The fun begins this morning with scrimmages at 9 and 11:30. Another scrimmage is set for 7:30 p.m. And one team will practice at 6 p.m.

CAMP NOTES: Macias, who has been shunted from defence to right wing and back again a few times over the last couple of seasons, is ticketed for the blue line. . . . The Blazers open camp with three 20-year-olds — Macias, Jorgensen and winger Matt Kassian. There is a logjam in Prince George and you have to think the Blazers would be interested in Kamloops native Curtis Cooper should the Cougars make the veteran defenceman available. . . . One of Saturday’s rookie camp scrimmages, in which Team Grey beat Team Blue 6-2, featured a multi-fight situation that involved six players. . . . Team Grey won the tournament, erasing a 2-0 deficit to beat Team White, 3-2. Kyle Reynolds, 16, of Red Deer had two goals for Team Grey, giving him a camp-high five. . . . The Blazers have adjusted the duties of long-time scout Brian Fortin. He now will focus on the pre-scouting of WHL teams and also will help the Blazers’ coaching staff on game nights. . . . Former Blazers C Erik Christensen has purchased a condo in Aberdeen. He leaves for Leduc, Alta., on Sept. 3 and then begins the long drive to Pittsburgh and the Penguins’ camp on Sept. 5.

GF71
08-28-2006, 10:32 PM
Thanks Scamper!

I know Tim has been kicking Kevin's but all summer about working hard. Kevin is a good kid...just lacks the drive sometimes? Seeing Tim's success might be what he needed. He is a HUGE kid and could be effective if he got his poop together. Time will tell i guess.

SeventhHeaven4U
08-29-2006, 09:58 AM
With 51 players left on the roster, the Kamloops Blazers have worked
themselves into a 3-team double-round-robin tournament which kicked off
last night at Interior Savings Centre.

Team Blue opened proceedings with a 4-3 win over Team Grey. Ivan Rohac
scored two more goals, with Brenden Dowd and Ray Macias adding singles
for the winners while Jimmy Bubnick, Paul Van de Velde, and Tyler
Hatchey replied in defeat. Juuso Puustinen had 2 assists.

The new rules standard was in effect last night as well...evidenced by
a total of 21 one-minute powerplays.

One morning scrimmage is on the agenda on Tuesday...which Team White
against Team Blue. Face off is 10:30. The late game, at 7:45 tonight,
features Team White against Team Grey.

The club has 5 goaltenders, 15 defensemen, and 21 forwards remaining on
the roster.

Monday Night Summary - Blue-4, Grey-3

First Period
1. BLUE Rohac 9:17

Second Period
2. BLUE Macias 13:00
3. BLUE Dowd (Rai, Mason) 11:30

Third Period
4. GREY Hatchey (Puustinen, Jorgensen) 1:32 PP2
5. BLUE Rohac (Macias, Kennedy) 3:20
6. GREY Van de Velde (Schmermund, Chomyc) 13:20
7. GREY Bubnick (Puustinen, Rodgers) 16:10

Powerplays
BLUE: 0/12
GREY: 1/9

Goalies
BLUE: Jones, Priestner
GREY: Maniago

EURO TRIP
Slovak import forward Ivan Rohac has played 2 games at Main Camp, and
has tallied 4 goals and 2 assist. Fellow European, Juuso Puustinen of
Finland, has also contributed with a pair of assists in 2 games.

BLUE-WHITE GAME
The Blazers are busy preparing for the annual Blue-White game set for
Wednesday night at 7:00pm at Interior Savings Centre. This annual fall
classic is the formal wrap-up to training camp, with about 40 to 45
players expected to take part

Admission is $5 for adults and seniors while youths (18 and under) get
in for free. Tickets are available at the Interior Savings Centre Box
Office or online at www.blazerhockey.com.

Monday Afternoon Scrimmage Summary - Blue-1 vs Orange-4

First Period
1. ORANGE Dunstall

Second Period
2. ORANGE Mason (Ellerby, Dunstall)
3. ORANGE Hall (Macias, Dunstall)

Third Period
4. BLUE Jorgensen (Bender, Skrudland)
5. ORANGE Schmermund (Nixon)

Goalies
BLUE: Hodson, Flette
ORANGE: Priestner, Jones

Monday Morning Scrimmage Summary - White-5 vs Grey-2

First Period
1. WHITE Rohac (Kennedy, Dowd)
2. WHITE Cessford (Rohac)
3. WHITE Rohac (Bartley, Dowd)

Second Period
4. WHITE Delaronde (Rohac)

Third Period
5. GREY Stretch (Reynolds, Hatchey)
6. WHITE Shattock (PEN)
7. GREY Thompson (Bennett)

Goalies
WHITE: Maniago, Lines
GREY: Kramer, Groenheyde

scamperdog
08-29-2006, 07:47 PM
Goaltender Mike Maniago has some big skates to fill
by Gregg Drinnan

For two seasons, Mike Maniago was the loneliest man this side of the Maytag repairman.

Maniago was the backup to Devan Dubnyk who, as the Kamloops Blazers’ starting goaltender, had more job security than Bill Gates.

Now, though, Maniago’s time has come. Dubnyk, 20, has graduated and signed with the NHL’s Edmonton Oilers.

The 18-year-old Maniago, then, is the WHL team’s No. 1 goaltender. So sayeth Dean Clark, the Blazers’ general manager and head coach.

Asked on Monday if the starting job was Maniago’s to lose, Clark didn’t hesitate in replying with and adamant “Yes.”

Maniago, however, isn’t wearing his new role like a red badge of courage.

“I like to say the spot is still open,” said the Calgary native who is a second cousin of former NHL goaltender Cesare Maniago. “I don’t want to come in here and lollygag and not do anything. I want to come in here and show that I’m ready to go.

“The spot is open and I want to show them I can do it. In my mind, there’s no No.1 . . . I have to fight for it.”

Just don’t think that the 5-foot-11, 150-pound Maniago is inheriting the starting role by divine right because that isn’t the case.

“The games he got in last season . . .,” Clark said, “there were times when he won us games.”

Maniago has played in 37 games over his two seasons here, 23 of them last season. With Dubnyk on the national junior team’s roster in December, Maniago started seven of eight games and got into the eighth in relief. The Blazers were 3-2-1-2 during that time. On the season, he was 7-7-2-2 with a 2.84 GAA and a .890 save percentage.

“I am ready,” Maniago said. “I am ready. I think I have proven that I can excel as the No. 1 goalie so hopefully I can prove to everyone that I can.”

If you press him, Maniago will admit that being a backup goaltender with no real opportunity at starting is not quite like winning a lottery.

“It was tough,” he said. “Not playing a lot and all that . . . but those are the dues and you have to pay your dues and eventually you become No. 1 and you can prove to everyone that you can be No. 1.

“Sometimes you wish you could play a bit more but there’s nothing you can do. You just go out during practice and try your hardest to prove that you can play.”

It says something about the boy becoming a man that he never once thought of asking out.

“No. No,” Maniago quickly responded when the subject is broached. “I was pretty happy how everything was going. I just wanted to make sure I supported the team at all times.”

In backing up Dubnyk, Maniago actually ran up against a couple of things. In his first season here, Maniago was 16 years of age and there isn’t a coach in the WHL who chooses to put his fate in the hands of a goaltender that age.

As for last season, well, as Clark explained: “Last season we were fighting for so long to get into the playoffs . . . that’s just the way it worked.”

And the way it works now is that Maniago is the go-to guy. Finally.

“It’s going to be a great year . . . really big,” he said. “I was looking forward to getting here.

“I am (excited). It’s a big year for me. I’m hoping everything goes well and we do well.”

CAMP NOTES: After the Blazers sent home 23 players, mostly 15- and 16-year-olds, they were left with 51 in camp, including five goaltenders. In that group is James Priestner, their 2006 second-round bantam pick from Edmonton. . . . LW Ivan Rohac, the Slovakian freshman, was the star of the opening day of main camp. He had two goals and two assists in leading Team Blue to a 5-2 victory over Team Grey in a morning scrimmage. In the evening game, he had two more goals as Blue beat Grey, 4-3. . . . After getting down to 51, the players were split into three teams during the afternoon. Beginning with last night’s scrimmage, Clark is handling Team White, with assistants Shane Zulyniak (Grey) and Andrew Milne (Blue) also working benches. On the line is dinner for eight, with the two losing coaches having to prepare a full-course meal for the winning coach, the coaches’ wives, as well as trainer Colin Robinson and his wife. . . . Gerard Hayes, whose resumé includes AHL officiating experience and who is one of the WHL’s officiating supervisors, talked to the players prior to last night’s scrimmages and then donned a striped jersey. Yes, he was busy calling penalties — the game featured 21 power plays, although each minor was worth only one minute in stir.

The Blazers’ coaching staff has recognized that the sooner the players adapt to the new rules, the better for all concerned. . . . LW Matt Chomyc, 16, scrimmaged last night and then left camp following the death of his maternal grandmother in Saskatchewan. . . . The Blue/White game goes Wednesday, 7 p.m. Admission is $5 for adults with under-18s in free. . . . An updated training camp roster is in Scoreboard, along with today’s schedule.

JUST NOTES: RW Tyler Halliday, 17, has been reassigned by the Red Deer Rebels. Halliday, from Kamloops, suffered a groin injury early in camp that pretty much took him out of things. “With his injury and the fact he wasn’t able to compete in camp, Tyler fell behind some other young forwards,” Red Deer GM/head coach Brent Sutter told the Red Deer Advocate. The plan now is for Halliday to play in the BCHL. . . . The Brandon Wheat Kings have dropped Russian LW Igor Musatov, 19, from their list. He was a second-round pick in the 2006 CHL import draft but they weren’t able to secure his release.

www.kamloopsnews.ca

SeventhHeaven4U
08-30-2006, 09:30 AM
Blue Takes Top Spot
Team Blue used goals from Terrance Delaronde and Matt Kassian, plus shutout goaltending from James Priestner and Brennan Jones, to blank Team White 2-0 in the morning scrimmage on Tuesday. The win gives Blue a 2-and-0 record, which gives them top spot in the three-team tournament.

In Tuesday's late game, Juuso Puustinen had a goal and an assist in regulation, plus the winner in a shootout as Grey edged White 4-3. Reid Jorgensen scored twice for Grey while Kris Chucko, Sean Cessford, and Scott Skrudland scored for White.

Tuesday PM Camp Scrimmage - Grey-4, White-3 SO

Scoring Summary
First Period
1. GREY Puustinen (Jorgensen, Dunstall) 1:00 PP2
2. GREY Jorgensen (Puustinen, Dunstall) 3:30 PP2

Second Period
3. WHITE Chucko (Nixon, Hall) 6:40
4. GREY Jorgensen (Dunstall, Ellerby) 10:30

Third Period
5. WHITE Cessford (Nixon) 6:20
6. WHITE Skrudland (Nixon, Bartley) 11:30 PP

Overtime
no scoring

Shootout
GREY Jorgensen NO GOAL
WHITE Bennett NO GOAL
GREY Rodgers NO GOAL
WHITE Hall NO GOAL
GREY Puustinen GOAL
WHITE Stretch NO GOAL

Powerplays
GREY: 2/15
WHITE: 1/10

Goalies
GREY: Maniago
WHITE: Flette, Kramer

- 07 -

Tuesday AM Camp Scrimmage - Blue-2, White-0

Scoring Summary
First Period
1. BLUE Delaronde (Macias, C. Jones) 18:00 SH

Second Period
no scoring

Third Period
2. BLUE Kassian (Macias, Brown) 4:45 PP

Powerplays
WHITE: 0/12
BLUE: 1/11

Goalies
WHITE: Flette, Kramer BLUE: Priestner, B. Jones

Kristi
08-30-2006, 10:34 AM
..........On the line is dinner for eight, with the two losing coaches having to prepare a full-course meal for the winning coach, the coaches’ wives, as well as trainer Colin Robinson and his wife. . . . ..........

This is great! Wonder how much cooking the coaches will actually do though!