PDA

View Full Version : Black and White game

SectionNDeserter
08-27-2006, 05:36 PM
Took in the Black and White game, looked like a pretty good crop of players this year. Liked the choices for assistant coaches too! :thumb: Here are my observations on some of the players.

Goalies:

I thought that Travis Rolheiser looked the steadiest of them (though he probably had more than double the shots on him than any of the other 3), and I thought that despite allowing the one Lesliesque goal, that Morgan Clark was the quickest and flashiest goalie of the 4. Braely Torris also looked very technically sound, but he seemed to have trouble keeping track of where the puck was on the ice, even when it wasn't behind the net.

Defense: The Good

Paul Levarsky: Looked very good in this game, moved the puck well. Should see him in a Rebel uniform this season.

Mike Cann: Didn't look very good at staying with his man in the open ice, but punished guys on the boards, and showed some good puck movement, and a great point shot on the power play. Was better than I thought he would be.

Jordan Henry: Looked solid as usual, left the game early in the 3rd with what looked like a knee injury. Wouldn't be the Rebels if we didn't start the season with one of our top veterans on the IR.

Mike Berube: Looked a lot "bigger" (and not taller) than last year. During parts of the game, he was the only thing that seemed to be holding team black's defense together. Showed a bit of a mean streak later in the game.

Rory Connop: Tremendous poise for a 16 year old, used his size well to protect the puck, and threw a few guys around. I didn't see any real noticeable issue with his foot speed. He might make the team this year as an extra.

Colin Archer: Pretty quiet for most of the game, made a tremendous play in the 2nd period to dive and poke the puck off the stick of Pieper who was on a breakaway.

Justin Weller: Looked very good for a 15 year old. Nothing flashy this game, but he did everything right defensively.

Defense: The Bad

Zak Stebner: Looked lost out there most of the game, let a number of easy, almost baffling passes and clearing attempts get past him at the point. Didn't have a good game, but he is only 16, plenty of time to improve.

Forwards: The good

Brandon Sutter: played a lot more hockey this summer than most of these guys, and it showed. Whenever he was on the ice, there was about 10 feet between him and anyone from the other team. Absolutely lambasted Hanzal (who has 3 inches and about 40lbs on him) with an open-ice hit in the 3rd period, and it was easily the best hit of the game.

Martin Hanzal: No obvious weakness in his game that I could see. He planted himself in front of the net, and notched a rebound goal doing this. Was impressed that he got right up and skated to the bench after he got leveled by the Sutter hit, shows he has a bit of character.

Landon Ferraro: The future looks bright. Has a real nose for the net, and it really paid off as the 15 year old tallied 2 goals. Reminds me a lot of Terry Ryan when he played here. Only thing stopping this guy from playing here on one of the top 2 lines this year is his age.

Cass Mappin: Looked really good defensively, and made a few good plays offensively. Should see hiim in a Rebel uniform this year.

Matt Fraser: Probably the '90 player that impressed me the most. Seemed to skate fairly well, and anticipated the play quite well.

Evan Pighan: Didn't see him do anything too spectacular offensively, held his own defensively, but the noticeable thing about his game was that he didn't stop skating for a second when he was out there, was just full tilt the whole time.

Mike Krgovich: Looked a little on the skinny side, but had about 4 or 5 good, solid hits every shift he took.

Karey Pieper: Big and solid, was skating well and had a few good scoring opportunities. Needs to throw his weight around a bit more though...

Devon LeBlanc: This guy was FLYING out there, looked to be the fastest skater out there as far as I could tell.

Luke Betts: Nothing too spectacular from him this game, but he did throw a few nice hits and was really stirring the pot out there. I thought that someone was going to fight this guy before this game was over.

Alex Poulter: Scored in this game and looked much improved (and bigger), than last season. I expect some big things from him this year.

Knackstedt: Was very physical, and had and generated a lot of scoring chances this game. Will be interesting to see what line he plays on this year.

Forwards: The bad

Ted Vandermeer: Think he played 3 shifts, didn't see him touch the puck once, or really do anything. I think that we could be seeing the end of the Vandermeer era. :(

Brett Sutter: He was ok, but nothing like I expected from him. Not one of his better games. Looked like he might have eaten a bucket of chicken before the game.

Was no fights, though Pieper and Lamoureux exchanged a few shots, and then Pieper thought better of it and nothing more came of it. Looks like we lost Henry to a knee injury, so picking up another '87 or '88 defenseman will probably be more important than ever. I think that the battle for the backup position is now between Clark and Rolheiser.

3rebels
08-27-2006, 08:21 PM
I would just about concur with everything you stated. Too bad it was run over the goalie night though. May be the end of the Vandemeer era, but he still puts out the effort and he needs some people with soft hands to help chip in offensively or he WILL BE the checking line ala Chris Neiszner.
Liked how our goals were pretty well spread all over the place except for Ferraro's 2 !!

SectionNDeserter
08-27-2006, 08:39 PM
Hehe, yeah he could have done without getting run over. Felt bad for the goalie when Knackstedt kicked in his second goal and they allowed it too. :)

Tinner
08-27-2006, 09:39 PM
as said in my earlier posts......we are weak a D and if Henry or Berube go down we are in trouble. If there's a 19 or 20 year old d man out there, Brent better find him quick. As for Vandy, the end of an era might be quicker than you think, but nobody is going to want him, based on his chances of being injured again.

mapletoft
08-27-2006, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the thorough report SND. I pretty much agree with everyhting you stated - I can't see Vandermeer giving the team too much...could be gone. Spencer Edwards - I like this guys speed as with LeBlanc - he needs to play this way everygame - full tilt. Poulter and Hanzal looked to have some magic between the two of them - like to see them with Brandon Sutter.

Rebels30
08-30-2006, 03:44 PM
Does anybody know anything about Jordan Henry and his injury to which looked like his knee??

SectionNDeserter
08-30-2006, 04:18 PM
Does anybody know anything about Jordan Henry and his injury to which looked like his knee??I don't know anything specific about it, other than the collision that caused it was at a very low speed, and the two barely made contact with each other. Unless the injury occured from him falling on it funny, I can't imagine it is too serious.