PDA

View Full Version : Ams rookies wrap up camp with scrimmage this morning

HAF
08-27-2006, 06:40 PM
Ams rookies wrap up camp with scrimmage this morning

This story was published Saturday, August 26th, 2006

By Annie Fowler, Herald staff writer

The Tri-City Americans rookie camp wraps up today, and from all accounts, it has been successful.

"We are very happy," Americans general manager Bob Tory said. "We concentrated on forwards in this year's draft and we are satisfied with our draft picks and list players. We may add a player or two to our list."

The Americans will hold over several players for the main camp, which opens Monday, but before the rookies share the ice with the veterans, they will play a Blue-White scrimmage game at 9 a.m. today at Toyota Center.

"They get to put on our jersey, play in a professional atmosphere and send them home on a good note," Tory said.

Defensemen Eric Mestery and Tyler Schmidt, the Americans' top two draft picks in the 2005 Western Hockey League bantam draft, will stay through main camp and most likely the remainder of the season.

Other 16-year-olds penciled in for the main camp include defensemen Kruise Reddick and Thomas Carr, goalie Kyle Birch and forwards Kruise Reddick, Colin Phaneuf and Cody Wutzke.

"Those guys were here for their second camp and they have improved tremendously," said Tory, who had 36 rookies in camp.

Also remaining in camp will be 2006 draft picks Jason Gardiner and Adam Hughesman, both 15-year-old forwards.

The veterans will register at 6 p.m. today and will have their first session at 9 a.m. Monday.

"That is always exciting," Tory said of the main camp. "We can start to focus on this year's team."

Carey Price, who will attend Montreal Canadiens camp starting Sept. 6, is looking forward to getting the 2006-07 season under way.

"It's really nice to get back, see all the guy, get back on the ice and be in the Tri-Cities," said Price, who will begin his fourth season with the Americans and his third as a starter. "We will have quite a few new guys and that will change things up a bit."

One thing that won't change will be Price's backup. Chet Pickard, who had a 2.93 goals against average and a 9-9 record with three shutouts, will be back for his second season.

"It's nice to team up with him again," Price said. "He's like a little brother to me. Tyler (Weiman) and I had a good relationship and I'm glad we have one, too."

And waiting in the wings is Birch.

"We feel we have a good core with Carey, Chet and Kyle Birch," Tory said. "Kyle is keen on playing for our organization and our plan for him is to step in when Carey graduates."

HAF
08-27-2006, 06:44 PM
I went to the Blue and White scrimmage this morning. All in all I was fairly impressed with what I saw. It will be interesting to see what the held over rookies will do amongst the vets during the main camp.

ihlemic10
08-27-2006, 07:10 PM
What was censored out by the forum? I can't figure out what word would have red and then the four stars...

SectionNDeserter
08-27-2006, 08:12 PM
I am pretty sure it was D*ck

HAF
08-27-2006, 08:20 PM
It was the bad word editor. I'll have to tweak it a little so it will quit doing that.[shakes head].....lol

Stay-Puft
08-28-2006, 09:00 AM
I was also impressed with rookie game. I was able to make both scrimmages Saturday as well and I think there is a bright future. I believe that we have 4, maybe 5, 16s that could out-play veterans right now. I would like to see a 16 with comperable ability to a 18/19 play now and grow into the position than have him sit, or play every 3rd/4th game, and expect them to perform well as a 17.

Drop em' eh
09-01-2006, 06:21 AM
stay-puft....or anyone who has watched any of the scrimmages or inter squad games...

any details, names, etc of players and how you think they performed would be appreciated

thanks

Stay-Puft
09-01-2006, 09:09 AM
Below is a decent recap of the game. From watching the rookie camp and the main camp to date, I think that we will be keeping 4-16s this year. Tyler Schmidt has looked like a veteran, Eric Mestery hasn't looked the best but is holding his own, Cody Wutzke has impressed with his play, and Colin Phanuef has looked great, always seems to be around the puck, can handle it well, and great vision.

Kyle Birch has also been impressive, but I don't think we will keep (3) goalies around, but if Price is unloaded or stays in Montreal Birch will be back. Kruise Reddick has had a quiet, but solid camp, enough to stay around with the main camp. I'm a little excited for the future, that's for sure.

http://whl.ca/en/members/action/viewArticle/id/4751