PDA

View Full Version : Ams set to open camp today

HAF
08-28-2006, 09:15 PM
Ams set to open camp today

This story was published Monday, August 28th, 2006

By Annie Fowler, Herald staff writer

Brent Sutter is known for demanding perfection and a solid work ethic from his players.

After Red Deer missed the playoffs last year for the first time since the 1994-95 season, the Rebels coach revamped his team, making some players available for the right price.

Tri-City Americans general manager Bob Tory wasted no time in grabbing a couple of 19-year-old players, adding experience to a depleted offense and a big presence on defense.

Defenseman Jon Smith was picked up June 2 for a sixth-round bantam pick in 2007, and right wing Tanner Gillies was secured June 5 for a seventh-round pick in 2008.

Both will be on the ice when the Americans open training camp for their 19th season in the Tri-Cities at 9 a.m. today at Toyota Center.

"Red Deer was trying to balance out their age groups," Tory said. "Tanner is a very talented player who is yet to find his niche in the WHL and Jonathon would have been battling for a spot on the blue line. He was hurt last year and I think that bumped him out of the (NHL) draft."

With veteran defenseman Logan Stephenson likely to play at a higher level this season after signing with the Phoenix Coyotes, and well-traveled veteran Landon Jones taken by Chilliwack in the expansion draft, the Americans were looking for help on defense.

"Smith will add depth on our back end," said Tory, whose team returns Cole Butterfield, Ryan Gillen, Nic Knudsen, Matt Swaby and Jarrett Toll on defense.

Smith, who will turn 19 on Oct. 20, said the trade was not a surprise.

"Sutter kind of insinuated that if we didn't make the playoffs that there would be changes for next year," Smith said. "I was glad I was traded here instead of some place really cold."

One would think Smith would be used to the cold after growing up in Sterling, Alaska, where his parents Charles and Kahlene run a commercial fishing business. But deep down, he likes the warm weather.

"It's nice and warm; so different from Alaska," he said. "And there's a lot to do here compared to Red Deer, besides play hockey."

But hockey is what brought Smith to Red Deer, where he played one year under Sutter. The 6-foot-3, 205-pounder played in 45 games with one goal, three assists and 60 penalty minutes. He missed nearly six weeks with a groin injury.

"I had a couple of different offers from WHL teams and I was glad I went to Red Deer instead of Prince George," Smith said. "PG had my rights, but I told them I didn't want to go there. It was too far with school and stuff."

So Red Deer it was, where Sutter wrings every ounce of talent from each player.

"He wants you to be at your best and if you aren't going to work hard, don't step on the ice," Smith said. "I was grateful to have him coach me."

Smith is a solid stay-at-home defender, but he also like to join the rush.

"I like to play it safe sometimes, but I also like to go in and score a bit," he said. "I never played much special teams in Red Deer, but I'd like to have a shot on the power play for the one-timer."

While his dad never played beyond high school hockey, Smith's brother Billy, 20, played two years with the Green Bay Gamblers of the USHL and one year for the University of Alaska-Anchorage. He transferred to Northern Michigan University, where he will be eligible for the 2007-08 season.

Smith's younger brother Charlie, 16, will play for the Vernon Vipers of the BCHL this season.

Unlike Smith, Gillies was a little shocked by the trade.

"It's a phone call you don't want to get," he said. "But when one door closes, another one opens. You can't take anything personal. I learned that in Red Deer."

Gillies played for his hometown Moose Jaw Warriors midget AAA team for two seasons, then was with Red Deer two years before the trade.

"I knew Taylor (Procyshen) before and I've heard nothing but good things about this team," Gillies said. "I'm excited to be here."

And, it was pretty cool learning that Olie Kolzig and Stu Barnes owned the team. Gillies and Smith got an opportunity to shoot against Kolzig before he returned to the Washington Capitals.

"That doesn't happen every day," Gillies said. "I didn't know they owned the team. We aren't exposed the to the Americans teams too much."

The 6-3, 205-pound Gillies had nine goals and four assists last season skating on the Rebels' fourth line, seeing action in 65 games.

"Of my nine goals, I think all were in the crease cleaning up the garbage," Gillies said. "I like going to the net and working for that extra opportunity."

Gillies also comes from a hockey family. His dad Gord played up until midgets, and his brother Riley, 16, was taken in the fourth round of the WHL bantam draft in 2005 by Kootenay and will be at the Ice camp this week.

Tri-City Americans training camp roster

Blue team

Goalies -- Carey Price, Williams Lake, British Columbia; Lev Gammer, Kelowna, British Columbia; Adrian Van Stolk, Chilliwack, British Columbia; Brett Patchett, Red Deer, Alberta. Forwards -- Alex Aldred, St. Albert, Alberta; Jeff Bain, Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif.; Nicholas Blair, Edmonton, Alberta; Aaron Boogaard, Regina, Saskatchewan; Tanner Gillies, Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan; Travis Gorman, Aldergrove, British Columbia; Adam Hughesman, Winnipeg, Manitoba; Reid MacLeod, Teulon, Manitoba; Tyler Penny, Weyburn, Saskatchewan; Kyle Peters, Bend, Ore.; Colin Phaneuf, Winnipeg, Manitoba; Steven Phillips, West Richland; Kruise Reddick, Manor, Saskatchewan; Des Ritari, Kennewick; Dan Watt; Winnipeg, Manitoba. Defensemen -- Scott Anderson, Sparwood, British Columbia; Cole Butterfield, Ponoka, Alberta; James Cannon, Prince George, British Columbia; Thomas Carr, Edmonton, Alberta; Ryan Gillen, Golden, British Columbia; Kevin Johnson, Richland; Justin Mazurek, Calgary, Alberta; Eric Mestery, Winnipeg, Manitoba; Matt Swaby, Prince Albert, Saskatchewan; Matt Tanneburg, Kennewick.

Gray Team

Goalies -- Chet Pickard, Winnipeg, Manitoba; Kyle Birch, Winnipeg, Manitoba; Todd Meyer, Burnaby, British Columbia; Peter Emery, Los Angeles, Calif. Forwards -- Scott Aucoin, Grande Cashe, Alberta; Daniel Bartek, Olomouc, Czech Republic; Joel Broda; Prince Albert, Saskatchewan; Alex Burks, Richland; Alex Conley, Kennewick; Colten Derickson, Kennewick; Erik Felde, Anchorage, Alaska; Jason Gardiner, Winnipeg, Manitoba; Drew Hoff; Redvers, Saskatchewan; Damon Hollandsworth, Kennewick; Chris Inglis, Calgary, Alberta; Joey McEwan, Kelowna, British Columbia; Taylor Procyshen, Emerald Park, Saskatchewan; Shaun Vey, Wakaw, Saskatchewan; Cody Wutzke, Aberdeen, Saskatchewan. Defensemen -- Brock Cornish, Mission, British Columbia; Justin Crosby, Kennewick; Nic Knudsen, Aldergrove, British Columbia; Jon Smith, Sterling, Alaska; Tyler Schmidt, Winnipeg, Manitoba; Ivan Simunovic, La Harba, Calif.; Logan Stephenson, Outlook, Saskatchewan; Jarrett Toll, Maple Ridge, British Columbia; Juraj Valach, Zvolen, Slovakia.

* Annie Fowler can be reached at 582-1574 or via e-mail at afowler@tricityherald.com.