PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Saga Over...to the OHL he stays...

chiefgongshow
08-29-2006, 06:34 PM
CHL RULES AGAINST WESTERN HOCKEY LEAGUE AND SPOKANE CHIEFS

The Western Hockey League advised the Spokane Chiefs today that the Canadian Hockey League has ruled that player Trevor Lewis will be permitted to join the Ontario Hockey League Owen Sound Attack for the 2006-07 season.

The player’s eligibility had been under review since it was announced in mid July that Trevor Lewis had signed with Owen Sound. Lewis is a resident of Utah, a WHL U.S. protected territory under CHL Regulations, and signed with Owen Sound without receiving the approval of the WHL.

The CHL will be sanctioning the OHL for not obtaining approval from the WHL to have the player transferred to OHL territory for the upcoming 2006-07 season. The matter will continue to be reviewed as the CHL works toward the adoption of a national regulation to govern the movement of players from territory to territory.

Chiefs General Manager Tim Speltz said, “I am very disappointed with Dave Branch’s decision. I feel as President of the CHL he was not objective with this decision and the rules regarding CHL Territories. The OHL was not forthright with the process regarding request for player transfers.”

rinkrat
08-29-2006, 07:28 PM
I guess its open season? :skeptical

Dwight Schrute
08-29-2006, 08:00 PM
what a load of horsecrap
he was probably scared of the physical play in the dub like eric gryba is
sorry im just bitter that the dub gets screwed

grainbear
08-29-2006, 08:03 PM
Would you expect anything else from an individual who,s bread and butter is in the OHL. This is the most unethical move I have seen in hockey in a long time . This should be persued further. Perhaps it is time to send them a message in the East . How, maybe because we view him as Spokane property we should declare him not being allowed to play in any situation where 'WHL players participate . Memorial Cup , Canada Cup are a few examples but then again we are used to being screwed by the East in every policitcal decision . Sound like a Red Neck and on this issue I am ! May be we should start going to Ontario and finding high paying jobs for the parents in the West so that we can recruit their Sidney Crosby as 16 year olds.

Beaner
08-29-2006, 08:05 PM
So the OHL wins, but gets sanctioned for breaking the rules.

So what did we learn. Break the rules, get a sanction (whatever that is, probably a fine) but you get to keep the player. Which is what you really wanted all along.

Nice job, but I am hardly surprised at the out-come.

Dwight Schrute
08-29-2006, 08:07 PM
so this means they can do it again ?
also what was meant by getting parents high paying jobs ?

Toswammi
08-29-2006, 09:26 PM
wow what a load of horse crap.

Can them stealing a dub player cause he vacationed in Ontario be very far behind?

Beaner
08-29-2006, 09:54 PM
On the karma side of the equation, Thomas Kana, Owen Sounds recent highly touted Euro draft choice (6th overall, 2nd rd NHL draft St Louis Blues) has decided not to report to OS after telling them he would before the draft.

Kana wants to stay in the Czech republic to be with his girlfriend, and has signed a contract with his czech team.

SectionNDeserter
08-29-2006, 10:03 PM
The hockey gods giveth, the hockey gods taketh away! That being said, the decision is probably what is in the best interest of this young man, as he clearly didn't want to play in the WHL, and it saves him from rotting away in the USHL for another season. As I see it the Chiefs really lost nothing, as win or lose this decision, he quite likely wouldn't have reported. The only good thing that comes of this whole thing is that perhaps all this foolishness will be prevented from happening in the future with rules that are easier for the OHL teams to understand (and perhaps one that Mike Futa can color...)

LifelongChiefsFan
08-29-2006, 10:41 PM
The matter will continue to be reviewed as the CHL works toward the adoption of a national regulation to govern the movement of players from territory to territory.

Lame, but not unexpected. I would have loved to see what Lewis could do in a Chiefs uniform, but I'm really not upset that he's not going to be a Chief. The part that gets me is the quote above. It seems to me that the matter is over and closed, which makes the above statement BS. Thus I fear that this won't be the last time that a league "steals" a player from another league's protected area. As was stated earlier, OS got the player they wanted and got a slap on the wrist. Who cares about paying a small fine if they get a gifted hockey player. And if that's all that will happen, what's to stop another team from doing the same? I believe this shows very very poor judgement not only of Branch but the entire CHL for opening up this can of worms and basically saying that the WHL should be treated as a lesser league than the OHL, by wiping out their territorial restrictions. As was stated earlier, I would love to see the WHL hold out of CHL events. Unfortunately, the WHL and its teams couldn't afford to lose the money they would get from participating. I guess all they can do is move on and hope that other teams and their ownerships will be honest when dealing with matters like these in the future. It is obvious that the people who run the OHL/CHL really can't be relied on to enforce the league rules already in place that were supposed to prevent something like this from even being an issue. But is that really so suprising? These are, after all, the same people who believe the WHL has adequate officials for league games.

Jimmypop316
08-29-2006, 11:07 PM
Wow sanctions, I wonder what that exactly means? Oh thats right, nothing. Sanctions aren't going to do **** (excuse me, this is ridiculus atm) to the OHL for breaking the rules.

I figured this was going to happen, I just hope the Chiefs got some sort of money out of this or anything, because Lewis should have been in the dub this year.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
08-30-2006, 01:20 AM
I wouldnt think of it as a loss. Lewis was a bonus, but he didnt come. The chiefs will still be a decent team anyways with players like grabner, ryan and armstrong this year. A possible 2nd place finish in the divison is still realistic.

nivek_wahs
08-30-2006, 01:42 AM
Lame, but not unexpected. I would have loved to see what Lewis could do in a Chiefs uniform, but I'm really not upset that he's not going to be a Chief. The part that gets me is the quote above. It seems to me that the matter is over and closed, which makes the above statement BS. Thus I fear that this won't be the last time that a league "steals" a player from another league's protected area. As was stated earlier, OS got the player they wanted and got a slap on the wrist. Who cares about paying a small fine if they get a gifted hockey player. And if that's all that will happen, what's to stop another team from doing the same? I believe this shows very very poor judgement not only of Branch but the entire CHL for opening up this can of worms and basically saying that the WHL should be treated as a lesser league than the OHL, by wiping out their territorial restrictions. As was stated earlier, I would love to see the WHL hold out of CHL events. Unfortunately, the WHL and its teams couldn't afford to lose the money they would get from participating. I guess all they can do is move on and hope that other teams and their ownerships will be honest when dealing with matters like these in the future. It is obvious that the people who run the OHL/CHL really can't be relied on to enforce the league rules already in place that were supposed to prevent something like this from even being an issue. But is that really so suprising? These are, after all, the same people who believe the WHL has adequate officials for league games.

I agree with your whole statement 100%. Well stated.

Beaner
08-30-2006, 08:32 AM
article from, http://www.spokesmanreview.com/breaking/story.asp?ID=7278,

Tim Speltz is none to happy and I agree with him.

Hockey star stiff-arms Spokane

Jeff Bunch
Staff writer
August 29, 2006

Hockey standout Trevor Lewis is signed, sealed - and now delivered to the Owen Sound Attack of Ontario. And Spokane Chiefs general manager Tim Speltz is livid.

Lewis, the 17th overall pick in the National Hockey League draft, has been the subject of intense discussions among the board of governors of the Canadian Hockey League over the past few weeks. The CHL is made up of representatives of Canada's three major junior leagues: the Western Hockey League; the Ontario Hockey League; and the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. WHL commissioner Ron Robison said on Tuesday that the matter was resolved Monday via in-person meetings of the CHL Board of Governors in
Ottawa: Lewis will play for the Attack and the OHL will be sanctioned.

"The player will be permitted to play in Owen Sound while we work out an attempt to introduce a national regulation on player movement between leagues," Robison said. "There is no question that the Ontario Hockey League and our league have different interpretations."

Wade Arnott, Lewis' agent, confirmed that Lewis has reported to Owen Sound and is ready to particpate in the team's camp which begins Thursday. "He's excited and ready to go. He's committed to playing for the Owen Sound," said Arnott.

Lewis, 19, was the most valuable player of the United States Hockey League last season as its leading scorer. The Attack signed the Salt Lake City product to a major junior contract at the NHL Combine (May 30-June 3) but didn't announce the signing until July 21. He was listed as a protected player by the Spokane Chiefs sometime before the NHL Draft on June 24. Both teams claimed the exclusive right to sign him.

David Branch, OHL commissioner, is current president of the CHL. He approved Lewis' signing with Owen Sound as OHL commissioner and did not recuse himself from a resolution of the matter after it became in dispute. All of the foregoing is unacceptable to Speltz.

"Obviously, I'm thoroughly disappointed and offended by the decision," Speltz said Tuesday. "I'm not surprised, totally, just by the communication I've received. But it's been a total conflict of interest to me and in my opinion (Branch) has mirespresented the CHL and, for sure, misrepresented the WHL and the Spokane Chiefs."

Robison said he's not happy with the way the situation played out either, but said a greater good had to prevail. "At the end of the day, we have to look at the player's interest first," he said. "It's the responsibility of the CHL to develop regulations. In the absence of a CHL agreement, the OHL chose to proceed in this way."

Speltz said the Chiefs' only remedy under the circumstances is to take action against Lewis, a position the franchise opposes. "The player and his agent aren't at fault here," said Speltz. "This wasn't a front-door process from the start. Quite frankly, for me, this is a very basic issue that is about the CHL territories."

Utah falls within the territory of the WHL, per CHL regulations, so the WHL took the position that Lewis couldn't be signed by an OHL team. A waivers system has been in place for teams wanting to claim WHL players, but Owen Sound did not avail itself to that process in this case.

"To me, that right there shows that they knew it was not on the up-and-up," said Speltz. The Attack made informal inquiries about Lewis' status and followed practices the OHL uses with the QMJHL and deemed Lewis to be a "bona fide" free agent as a twice-undrafted player. WHL officials say no such status exists in junior hockey.

Owen Sound GM Michael Futa was not available for comment on Tuesday. Branch has not returned any phone calls on the matter.

"For me, most of the teams understoood and respected the territories," said Speltz. "Dave Branch's position that the OHL never respected our territory just isn't true. This is about a team that found a loophole, went with a loophole, and instead of being told 'no', was told 'yes'. Since then, it's just been about trying to sweep it under the carpet and make it go away."

Robison said that possible compensation for the WHL or the Chiefs was still undecided. Speltz said that isn't the issue - it's about the viability of the CHL.

"For me, this weakens the CHL and shows we have weak leadership," said Speltz. "I'm so disappointed that we have a president of the CHL that won't return a (media) phone call - let alone have the common courtesy to call the general manager or the owner of the affected team. All he is doing is pretending it didn't happen and wishing it would go away.

"It's not about what's happened as much as it is about how he's handled it. ... I know how much respect he's lost here - all of it."

Jimmypop316
08-30-2006, 03:01 PM
I'll tell you a good resolution for me: Strip Branch of his power that he has in the CHL. Someone please tell me he didn't abuse it in this situation.

This is an absolute joke.

LifelongChiefsFan
08-30-2006, 03:41 PM
article from, http://www.spokesmanreview.com/breaking/story.asp?ID=7278,

Tim Speltz is none to happy and I agree with him.

No joke about them hiding this under the rug. You would think a ruling of this significance would at least be on the front page of one of the CHL, WHL or OHL websites wouldn't you?

Redwic
08-30-2006, 06:14 PM
He is definitely NOT the best person to be in charge of the CHL. It is very obvious that he has the OHL's best interests at heart, rather than the CHL in its entirety. "Player's interests" or not, what really worries me now is that he has set a terrible precedent for the future.

ihlemic10
08-30-2006, 10:53 PM
Why hasn't someone cried conflict of intrest for one man to be a commish and the CHL chairman, this would be evidence of such. It seems to me just like in the US, the west side of the Canada gets hosed by the east...I hope the kid turns out to be a cancer in the locker room and get OS in a pickle. I would love to see a Spokane team that contends, gives me more reason to see my Spokane STH cousins on a trip...

Dwight Schrute
03-23-2007, 05:21 PM
from the whl website

"The WHL also announced today that the Spokane Chiefs have been awarded a fourth round compensatory selection in the 2007 WHL Bantam Draft. Spokane will receive the 23rd pick of the fourth round as compensation for the loss last summer of WHL protected player Trevor Lewis to Owen Sound of the OHL."

23rd pick in the 4th round.... is that a joke ?

Beaner
03-23-2007, 05:38 PM
from the whl website

"The WHL also announced today that the Spokane Chiefs have been awarded a fourth round compensatory selection in the 2007 WHL Bantam Draft. Spokane will receive the 23rd pick of the fourth round as compensation for the loss last summer of WHL protected player Trevor Lewis to Owen Sound of the OHL."

23rd pick in the 4th round.... is that a joke ?

Yes it is.

Seriously they are adding an extra pick for that round. Owen Sound looks like they give up nothing. Permission for OHL Teams to just raid WHL teams protected lists, granted.....

Swando
03-24-2007, 04:21 AM
Is not the WHL team/s below the 4th round pick being penalized in away?

Let's say the compensory pick was # 68 and the 4th round pick turned out to be a player like Westbloom/Hunt(2002)..Brady Calla/Ryan White(2003)
Stretch/Almond 2004 etc

The OHL should send a $$ value to the team that was cheated...in this case I don't know if the player was added from the USHL to make a protection and possible trade for the rights (late bloomer) but CHL and the commissioner get it right this is a disgrace