PDA

View Full Version : Tonights game

Toswammi
08-30-2006, 11:12 AM
If possible, can one of you tiger fans post on how some of the broncos looked? I know you will be focusing on your own team, but it would be nice to have a report on the visiting team as well.

Tiger Trauma
08-30-2006, 03:41 PM
Sure, will try to keep an eye out.

Toswammi
08-30-2006, 08:19 PM
thanks.....

Tiger Trauma
08-30-2006, 09:50 PM
Left after the first period, wasnt feeling well :dead:

From what i saw, Matt Tassone from swift looked pretty good. The goalie Ian curtis was pretty big and mobile. The tigers had a lot of play in swift's end, but swift was starting to come on near the end, of the period. It was 1-0 tiggers when i left

Tiger Trauma
08-30-2006, 11:22 PM
Final score was 5-2 for the tigers

swift Goals Tassone, ??????
Tigers Goals: Sokal,Carlson,Rumpel,Brown,???????

SeventhHeaven4U
08-30-2006, 11:44 PM
This rundown of the game will appear in tomorrow's MH paper:

With the stands at the Kinplex packed to capacity, the referees did their best to pack the penalty box in the first exhibition matchup of the Western Hockey League’s new season.
Medicine Hat beat Swift Current 5-2, but 42 infractions highlighted the evening for many of the 900 in attendance; a sign of things to come as the league gets in line with the rest of the CHL and the NHL in calling games tighter than ever before.
“You expect it” said Tigers head coach and general manager Willie Desjardins. “They’re going to call it, it’ll take a little time to adjust, but I thought the ref called a really good game.”
Still, Desjardins isn’t worrying about the tougher rules just yet. He says he’s got a team to pick first.
“We haven’t talked about it that much,” he said. “We’re still evaluating players, still a ways away from really starting to get ready for the season.”
While there aren’t many positions available in Medicine Hat, fans got to see both a taste of the future in players like Cody Carlson and what to expect this year from goalie Ryan Holfeld.
Carlson scored a goal and added an assist in the matchup, and would have had a second goal if not for a picky post in the second frame. The 15-year-old from Victoria was the team’s first-round draft choice this spring (21st overall), and heads back home today knowing he’s impressed the coaching staff in his first game with the club.
“It’s a great city, I can’t wait to be here in a few years,” said Carlson, who plays for the Juan de Fuca Grizzlies midget AAA squad. “I didn’t know if I was going to make it this far, but I did. I played my game.”
Other goal scorers were returning defenceman Shayne Brown, second-year California forward Matt Sokol (with a pair on the night including an empty-netter), and 19-year-old import Jakub Rumpel. Swift Current didn’t find the score sheet until the third period, getting markers from strong-skating 17-year-old Matt Tassone and ex-Tiger Spencer McAvoy.
With the Tigers up 3-1 in the third period, Carlson got a pass from Scott Wasden and wristed it top shelf on Swift Current goalie Travis Yonkman.
Not surprisingly, it was on a power play. Only two goals came at regular strength on a night where the men in the striped shirts didn’t hesitate to show the players what to expect this season.
“That’s what the boys have to learn, is stay out of the box this year,” said Carlson.
Holfeld, who is looking to fill a backup role behind local product Matt Keetley this season, stopped all 25 shots from the Broncos in earning the win. He was replaced at the 9:30 mark of the second period by 16-year-old Alex Wright to a loud ovation from the Bengals’ faithful.
“It was good, it felt good out there,” said Holfeld, who spent his summer at home in Regina, playing in a 3-on-3 league and working out. “I guess I played good when I had to. I’m just hoping to stick here, help the team whenever I can.”