PDA

View Full Version : Working Vacations

Tipped Off
08-30-2006, 11:20 AM
Two Tips took working vacation

By Nick Patterson
Herald Writer

EVERETT - For most players in the WHL, the summer months are for relaxing and taking a break from hockey.

However, for two members of the Everett Silvertips, part of the summer was spent donning the skates for the red, white and blue.

Center Peter Mueller and right wing Shane Harper were given the opportunity to skate for the United States, Mueller attending Team USA's evaluation camp for the 2007 World Junior Hockey Championships and Harper playing for Team USA at the U-18 World Cup.

Mueller was one of 45 players to take part in the World Juniors evaluation camp on Aug. 5-14 in Lake Placid, N.Y. That group will eventually produce the team that will represent the U.S. at the World Juniors on Dec. 26-Jan. 5 in Sweden.

Unfortunately, Mueller wasn't able to participate fully.

"I got my tonsils pulled out so I couldn't really compete in any physical stuff," Mueller said. "So I took it easy when it came to game time, but I was out there every practice.

"I decided to go to show I cared, that I had some heart and that I wanted to be on the team," Mueller added. "Hopefully that can pull through for me."

Mueller, who was a member of last year's U.S. World Juniors team as a 17-year-old, seem a lock for a U.S. team that should be among the favorites this year.

"It all depends on the signings, (Phil) Kessel signing (with the NHL's Boston Bruins) and Bobby Ryan signing (with the NHL's Anaheim Mighty Ducks)," Mueller said about the U.S.'s chances. "It all depends on who's free and who's not. But there's a lot of great guys coming up through the program."

Harper was one of 22 players selected for the U.S. U-18 team that played at the Memorial of Ivan Hlinka Tournament on Aug. 8-12 in the Czech Republic and Slovakia. Harper had two assists in four games to help the U.S. earn a silver medal.

"It was really cool to look over at the other bench and see people from different countries," Harper said. "I got a big kick out of playing the Russians.

"Overall I thought I played well," Harper added. "It's just really an honor to play for Team, USA."

On the mend: Leland Irving appears to be back to full strength.

The Silvertips' star goaltender hasn't played in any scrimmages during training camp - he's currently attending a goalie camp in Vancouver, B.C. But before he left Everett he declared himself in good health.

"I've had a few skates and I'm pretty much 100 percent," Irving said. "I'm free of pain and there's no tweaks or anything, so that's always a good sign."

Irving, who was named the Western Conference second-team all-star last season as a 17-year-old, suffered a strained groin during the regular season that sidelined him about a week. He re-injured the groin just prior to the Western Conference championship series against Vancouver, missing three games, then re-injured it again during the summer while at a Team Canada goalie camp.

But Irving was able to participate in practices and says he feels good.

"The injuries have healed up," Irving said. "I've still got to be a little cautions, but I know what I've got to do to keep from re-injuring myself."

Preseason tournament: The third annual Everett Silvertips Preseason Tournament takes place Friday, Saturday and Sunday at the Everett Events Center.

A total of six teams will take part, with each team playing once per day. The schedule for Friday is Portland vs. Seattle at 11:30 a.m., Kamloops vs. Spokane at 3 p.m. and Vancouver vs. Everett at 7:05 p.m. The schedule for Saturday is Vancouver vs. Portland at 11:30 a.m., Spokane vs. Seattle at 3 p.m. and Kamloops vs. Everett at 7:05 p.m. The schedule for Sunday is Portland vs. Kamloops at 11:30 a.m., Spokane vs. Vancouver at 3 p.m. and Seattle vs. Everett at 7:05 p.m.

Admission is $10 per game. Nine-game ticket packages are still available.

Heading out: Everett's manpower will get a little lighter after the Preseason Tournament concludes.

Five Everett players are headed to NHL training camps early next week. Three of Everett's picks in this year's NHL draft - Mueller eighth overall by Phoenix, Irving 26th overall by Calgary and right wing Brady Calla in the third round by Florida - are headed to camp with their respective teams. Everett's other draft pick this year, left wing Ondrej Fiala by Minnesota in the second round, remains in his native Czech Republic recovering from knee surgery. Also going to camp are right wing Moises Gutierrez, who was selected in the sixth round in 2005 by Pittsburgh, and defenseman Graham Potuer, who was invited to camp by San Jose