PDA

View Full Version : WHL This Week - News Edition

Billy Blade
01-14-2005, 07:22 AM
Source: http://www.whl.ca/thisweek/?id=2639

WHL THIS WEEK - News Edition
Created: Jan 13, 2005

WHL STARS GET READY FOR CHL SPOTLIGHT - On Tuesday, The Canadian Hockey League announced the rosters for the 2005 Home Hardware CHL/NHL Top Prospects on Wednesday, January 19 in Vancouver.

Of the 40 players named to the rosters, 13 play their junior hockey in the Western Hockey League: Brendan Mikkelson and Mike Sauer from Portland, fellow Seattle Thunderbirds Chris Durand and Scott Jackson, Moose Jaw's Kenndal McArdle and Blair Jones, Saskatoon's Wacey Rabbit and Devin Setoguchi, Vancouver's Gilbert Brule, Calgary's Dustin Kohn, Kamloops Blazers defenceman Raymond Macias, Prince George's Nicholas Drazenovic, and Tri-Cities netminder Carey Price.

"All the scouts for the 30 NHL teams are looking forward to this game with great expectations," said Frank Bonello, Director of NHL Central Scouting.

Saskatoon forward Devin Setoguchi will suit up for Team White, to be coached by former new York Rangers and St. Louis blues netminder and current Sportsnet hockey analyst John Davidson, and is thrilled by the opportunity to play in such an important event.

“I’m very excited,” said Setoguchi. “It’s a real honor to be able to go and play with the top 40 players in Canada.

“It will be fun to go (to Vancouver) and take it all in. Hopefully I can have a good game.”

Setoguchi’s Blades’ teammate, Wacey Rabbit, will also suit up for Team White. He says getting invited to the Prospects game means realizing one of the big goals he set for himself.

“I had a good season as a 16-year-old but I dropped off a bit last year, so it was one of my goals to put up some good numbers and have a strong year so I could get an invite to the prospects game,” he said.

The CHL/NHL Top Prospects game has a rich history of participants who went on to NHL stardom. Former first overall picks like Joe Thornton, Vincent Lecavalier and Chris Phillips all took part in Prospects games over the years.

Last year, all 40 players who took part in the CHL/NHL Top Prospects game were drafted by NHL teams – including all 18 WHL players. In fact, eight of those 18 WHLers that played in the 2004 top Prospects game were snatched up in the first round.

This year’s rosters include several potential first-rounders including Vancouver Giants forward Gilbert Brule.

Calgary Hitmen defenceman Dustin Kohn will suit up for the Don Cherry-coached Team Black. While he may not be thinking about being a first-round pick in the 2005 NHL draft, he’s excited to be playing with some potential future NHL stars like QMJHL phenom Sidney Crosby.

“I’m friends with a bunch of those guys so it will be good to see them again,” he said. “Obviously, to get a chance to play against Sidney Crosby and some of the other great players around the CHL will be a great experience.”

Setoguchi echoes Kohn's sentiment.

“Obviously, a guy like (Crosby) is an amazing and talented player,” he said. “I hope I get a chance to play on a line with him.”

Jesse Watts
whl.ca

---------------------------------------------------------------------

WHL KEY PERFORMERS

Casey Lee, Kootenay Ice – Lee has scored one goal and picked up eight assists in his last four outings, helping the Ice to four straight wins. Click here (http://www.whl.ca/stats/statdisplay.php?type=top_scorers&id=0&leagueId=26) to view scoring leaders.

Cody McLeod, Portland Winter Hawks – McLeod has scored five goals and six points in his last four contests. He currently leads the Hawks with eight power play goals. Click here (http://www.whl.ca/stats/statdisplay.php?type=individual_leaders&subType=2&seasonId=223&&leagueId=26&lastActive=&singleSeason=) to view power play goal leaders.

Konstantin Pushkarev, Calgary Hitmen – He has scored four goals and seven points in his last four outings. He currently ranks second in the league in rookie scoring. Click here (http://www.whl.ca/stats/statdisplay.php?type=top_scorers&subType=2&seasonId=223&&leagueId=26&lastActive=&singleSeason=) for rookie scoring leaders.

Mike Green, Saskatoon Blades – Green has netted three goals and three helpers in his last four contests. He currently leads all WHL defencemen in scoring. Click here (http://www.whl.ca/stats/statdisplay.php?type=top_scorers&subType=1&seasonId=223&&leagueId=26&lastActive=&singleSeason=) for defencemen leaders.

Devan Dubnyk, Kamloops Blazers – Dubnyk is 2-0 in his last two starts, posting one shutout and allowing only one goal on 60 shots through the two games. He is the CHL’s current Goaltender of the Week. Click here (http://www.whl.ca/stats/statdisplay.php?type=top_goalies&id=0&leagueId=26) for goaltending leaders.

-----------------------------------------------

THE PLAYER’S PERSPECTIVE

A change of scenery can make a world of difference. That’s what goaltender Justin Pogge is hoping for with his recent move from being the main puck-stopper with the Prince George Cougars to being the number one netminder with the Calgary hitmen.

The Hitmen acquired the tall, lanky product of Burnaby, B.C – along with fellow Cougars teammates Dylan Yeo and Tyrel Lucas - at the Western Hockey League’s trade deadline with hopes of improving their goaltending situation heading towards the playoffs.

Pogge, a third-round pick of the Toronto Maple Leafs in the 2004 draft, is hoping to help his new teammates get to the post-season and, hopefully, much further.

Justin Pogge’s Perspective

On a change of scenery…
“I’m really excited to come and play (in Calgary)…things were a bit stale for me in Prince George. The Hitmen are an exciting hockey team so it should be fun.”

On moving to Alberta from B.C…
“I lived out here before. I spent half my life in Alberta, so it’s not going to be hard for me to get used to the cold.”

On the Hitmen he’s glad to be teammates with, not playing against…
“Definitely Getzlaf and Ladd, for sure. Those guys like to score. I’d much rather have them score against me in practice than in a game.”

On facing more Eastern conference teams with the Hitmen…
“It should be fun. There’s a lot of offensive talent out east. I expect less of a trap style out here…the games should be a bit more wide open.”

On who he models himself after…
“I really like Roberto Luongo and Martin Brodeur. I remember watching Luongo in the World juniors and liked what I saw, so I kind of model my game after him.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------