PDA

View Full Version : New, Old

GOBLADESGO#3 (among other aliases)
08-31-2006, 11:44 PM
i want to know personally what you thought was better the 2004-05 season and back with no shootout and new rules or the new season where there is always a winner and teams can win more games???

LifelongChiefsFan
09-01-2006, 12:06 AM
I'm in the minority when I say this (or at least I think I am) but I have always been a fan of the shootout. It's not because I dislike ties or anything, but a shootout is just something extra, which is very exciting at the end of the game. I know the fact a shootout is extra is a reason many people don't like it. But I remember last year when the Chiefs beat Moose Jaw in a shootout it was one of the most exciting games of the year. I always figured if both teams get a point for a tie anyway why not award the extra point for the shootout and give the fans something else to cheer about. And if memory serves me correct, I believe no team missed out on the playoffs because of shootouts and only 2 pairs of teams would have swapped places in the standings.

caps05
09-01-2006, 12:33 AM
I truly dislike the shootout in any level of hockey.

It's just not the way to end a 60 minute hard fought game.

Jimmypop316
09-01-2006, 12:43 AM
As long as they keep the shoot-out of playoff hockey, I have no problem with it. its rather quite exciting to watch, and hey more fans in the seats means more money flow to the organizations and the kids.

Wildeyes
09-01-2006, 02:00 AM
i Agree As long as they keep the shootout out of the playoff i am for it but when they bring it in to the playoff that would be the worst thing in HOCKEY

Beaner
09-01-2006, 08:21 AM
I like the shoot-out, it's better than a tie, and they were always exciting to watch.

No shoot-outs in the playoffs though.

Bran
09-01-2006, 12:16 PM
I don't mind a shootout. I hated the idea at first, but it's kind of grown on me I guess....as long as it doesn't come anywhere near playoff hockey.

GBG BLEED BLUE
09-01-2006, 08:52 PM
I like the shootout,I think it adds more excitment to the game,and it does not bother me at all.

Shooter
09-01-2006, 09:20 PM
:mad:
The shootout is ok, what steams my buns is the OL column in the standings. Ya lose ya lose, no points for you!!!!!

09-01-2006, 10:28 PM
i dont really get what your sayin, you get a point in ot losses but i do think they should all be rooted together insted of having wins losses overtime losses and shootout losses it should just be wins losses and ot losses and shootout losses combined like the nhl why is ist diffrent here?

nivek_wahs
09-01-2006, 10:42 PM
I'm old school... Wins, Losses and Ties. 2 points for a win, 1 for a tie & 0 for a loss... regardless. Thats it.

But the shootout gives the fans something else to cheer about. So really I don't care much now, like we as fans really have a say anyway.

dondo
09-02-2006, 12:13 AM
old school - I hate the shoot out in any and all forms and would prefer to see two teams walk off with a hard earned tie than a tacked on pseudo excitement of a shootout (i don't find it exciting in the least). Its a team game which should never be decided by a single shooter versus the goalie that's not hockey - hockey is about the team.

One of the best game I ever witnessed was a hard fought back and forth 4-4 tie between the Wings and the Canucks. They both earned the tie.

Frankly I'd rather see five of four on four and then maybe five more of three on three -- now that would be exciting - waiting five-ten minutes while they get their shooters together and scrape the ice is not exciting and a shootout win is an awful way to win or lose a game.

Like the no red-line (didn't think I would but I do - esp with increasing the offensive zone which helps to bridge that centre ice area). Love that tag-up off-sides are back. Hate two refs, Hate ticky tack penalties, Hate the fact that fighting is becoming rare and the ice is getting more dangerous as players have lost respect for one another and go for the head. Frankly make head shots a five minute major everytime cause there's no reason to aim for the head.

Not fond of Bettman's NHL and frustrated that its trickling down to the WHL level. Not looking froward to offciating this year either as I witnessed officiating gone horribly wrong today where clean physical play is being punished and diving rewarded. The first game we saw had something like 1:08 of five-on five in one period - the rest was all lop-sided odd man situations - a lot of four on threes too after the ref would give a single player a trip AND a hold for the same play -- what the...frig?

oh yeah absolutely despise the delay of game penalty for shooting the puck over the glass -- dumb penalty from all sides and the penalty delays the game far more than the infraction itself.

Flathead
09-02-2006, 11:39 AM
old school - I hate the shoot out in any and all forms and would prefer to see two teams walk off with a hard earned tie than a tacked on pseudo excitement of a shootout (i don't find it exciting in the least). Its a team game which should never be decided by a single shooter versus the goalie that's not hockey - hockey is about the team.

One of the best game I ever witnessed was a hard fought back and forth 4-4 tie between the Wings and the Canucks. They both earned the tie.

Frankly I'd rather see five of four on four and then maybe five more of three on three -- now that would be exciting - waiting five-ten minutes while they get their shooters together and scrape the ice is not exciting and a shootout win is an awful way to win or lose a game.

Like the no red-line (didn't think I would but I do - esp with increasing the offensive zone which helps to bridge that centre ice area). Love that tag-up off-sides are back. Hate two refs, Hate ticky tack penalties, Hate the fact that fighting is becoming rare and the ice is getting more dangerous as players have lost respect for one another and go for the head. Frankly make head shots a five minute major everytime cause there's no reason to aim for the head.

Not fond of Bettman's NHL and frustrated that its trickling down to the WHL level. Not looking froward to offciating this year either as I witnessed officiating gone horribly wrong today where clean physical play is being punished and diving rewarded. The first game we saw had something like 1:08 of five-on five in one period - the rest was all lop-sided odd man situations - a lot of four on threes too after the ref would give a single player a trip AND a hold for the same play -- what the...frig?

oh yeah absolutely despise the delay of game penalty for shooting the puck over the glass -- dumb penalty from all sides and the penalty delays the game far more than the infraction itself.

I agree wholeheartedly with everything you've posted, it's like you read my mind. Good post, the shoot out shouldn't be in hockey, and there isn't anything wrong with a hard fought tie. With the shoot out there is, "an 'I' in team," and that shouldn't be.

Kassian
09-02-2006, 11:46 AM

Couldn't have said it better myself. I absolutely agree with you 100%.

RunTheGoalie
09-02-2006, 11:50 AM
I despise the shootout. If you proposed a fastest skater competition to determine a winner, everyone would call you crazy. The shootout is precicely the same thing, and just as bad. It is a disgustingly bad way to end a team event.

hockeynut69
09-13-2006, 02:34 PM
i think that the major problem with shootouts is that the whole team plays for 80 mins, and then it comes down to whose goalie is better.

09-17-2006, 08:51 PM
i would have to say i like the dark jerseys at home and whites away