PDA

View Full Version : Spokane looked good...

Redwic
09-04-2006, 10:18 AM
... at the Everett Tournament. And for all of those fans who have suggested that Spokane doesn't have a defense this season, the team seemed to be disproving that theory for most of the weekend.

I think that this is a good crop of guys, and I predict that the playoffs are a virtual lock for the team this season. Great passing and puck-handling, and fairly accurate shooters. They will be very fun to watch.

Of course, the Chiefs looked good at last year's tournament, as well, then we all know what happened during the regular season (especially after the trade deadline). Anything is possible.

Triton
09-04-2006, 10:30 AM
How has Tokarski been?And does he have a shot at making the team?

Jimmypop316
09-04-2006, 01:02 PM
How has Tokarski been?And does he have a shot at making the team?

If he is not backing up Armstrong, I will eat my hat. This kid is a gem of a goaltender.

Triton
09-04-2006, 01:30 PM
If he is not backing up Armstrong, I will eat my hat. This kid is a gem of a goaltender.

Would you eat a clean pair of underwear?

Has he been that good?Has he been in any games and if so how did he do?

Jimmypop316
09-04-2006, 03:06 PM
Would you eat a clean pair of underwear?

Has he been that good?Has he been in any games and if so how did he do?

In the red-white camp I was pretty impressed by him, and hell stopping Grabner in the shoot-out was pretty damn good. I haven't been able to see him play in an actual pre-season game yet (hopefully he starts next Saturday). I've never been too high on Stehr, give Kuemper another year, so right now he is my pick to take the back up job from Armstrong.

It may be a little early to say this but if Armstrong struggles (highly unlikely, solid in camp too) we at least have a capable goaltender to pick up the slack.

Redwic
09-04-2006, 07:28 PM
Armstrong did not play in any of the games this past weekend in Everett. I'm not certain if he is injured, or not. Does anybody else know his status? Regardless, I expect him to be Spokane's #1 goaltender.

As for the others, I was very impressed by Tokarski. However, Stehr was stellar, as well. Kuemper looked very bad out there, but it could have been either nerves or a lack of confidence in the players defending him. Of course, he is only 16 and might still need another year of development before attempting to be in the WHL.

LifelongChiefsFan
09-04-2006, 10:03 PM
Armstrong did not play in any of the games this past weekend in Everett. I'm not certain if he is injured, or not. Does anybody else know his status? Regardless, I expect him to be Spokane's #1 goaltender.

I haven't heard anything about Armstrong being injured. My guess is that the Chiefs' front office is confident in him to be the #1 and are playing the other 3, and basically letting them battle it out with the winner being the backup to start the season.

Jimmypop316
09-05-2006, 12:48 AM
I haven't heard anything about Armstrong being injured. My guess is that the Chiefs' front office is confident in him to be the #1 and are playing the other 3, and basically letting them battle it out with the winner being the backup to start the season.

Yea Armstrong is #1, no doubt about that at all. The backup position is where all the controversy is at. For the most part its down to Tokarski and Stehr for the #2 spot. Kuemper is going to be a solid goaltender, but give him an extra year in the lower tier to get some more experience as he will be getting a lot more ice time and therefore can come to camp next year with that under his belt instead of backing up Armstrong.

Jimmypop316
09-09-2006, 12:14 AM
Another win tonight. 3-2 over Seattle.

Going to go check out the game tomorrow down in Kennewick tomorrow, pretty excited like I always am for a hockey game. I'll say something like I'll write a review or my thoughts on the game, but I thought I would about the red-white too, but that didn't happen. ;)

HAF
09-09-2006, 12:36 AM
Another win tonight. 3-2 over Seattle.

Going to go check out the game tomorrow down in Kennewick tomorrow, pretty excited like I always am for a hockey game. I'll say something like I'll write a review or my thoughts on the game, but I thought I would about the red-white too, but that didn't happen. ;)

I went to the TC Portland game tonight and people sitting behind me said something about a brawl at the end of the Spoke/ Seattle game. Anyone know the details?

Jimmypop316
09-09-2006, 12:40 AM
I went to the TC Portland game tonight and people sitting behind me said something about a brawl at the end of the Spoke/ Seattle game. Anyone know the details?

No idea.. I just read on the pow-wow the score. Thats intriguing to say the least, I'm not down there until tomorrow. Also am I going to be safe just walking up for tickets to the game tomorrow?

HAF
09-09-2006, 12:51 AM
You shouldnt have any problems getting tix. Tonights official attendance was only about 1250 or so. I'll be wearing the whlfans gear Sat night. Stop me and BS a bit if you see me.

HAF
09-09-2006, 12:57 AM
Pre-Season Tournament: Spokane Beats Seattle 3-2 to kick-off Red Lion Tourney
September 08, 2006KENNEWICK, WA - The Spokane Chiefs would take a 3-0 lead and hold on to beat the Seattle Thunderbirds 3-2 today in the opening game of the Red Lion Pre-Season Tournament played this afternoon at Toyota Center in Kennewick.

The Chiefs would tally three times on the power play as Chris Bruton opened the scoring at 5:50 of the first with help from Derek Ryan and Drayson Bowman. 59 seconds later Bowman would strike with an assist from Ondrej Roman at 6:49.

Spokane’s lead would grow to 3-0 at 5:15 of the second when Chris Langkow would rap home a rebound of a Judd Blackwater shot. The Thunderbirds would pull within two at 3-1 when Radek Meidl would notch a power play goal with assists going to Jeremy Schappert and Greg Scott at 19:48.

The Thunderbirds made things interesting pulling within one at 3-2 as Jeremy Boyer would score on the man advantage with an assist going to Josh Schappert at 10:36. Seattle would close out the contest with a 5-on-3 man advantage but could get the puck past Chiefs netminder Kevin Armstrong.

Armstrong and Spokane starter Dustin Toharski combined to make 31 saves. Seattle goaltender Derek Yeomans made 30 stops in a losing cause.

Spokane will play the Americans tomorrow night at 7:05 at Toyota Center. The T-birds are idle until Sunday night when they’ll take on the Americans at 5:05 pm in the final game of the tournament.

The Americans take the ice at 7:05 tonight against the Portland Winter Hawks.