PDA

View Full Version : Malkin Signs With Pittsburgh

WHEATMAN
09-05-2006, 10:27 AM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=176492&hubname=

Canadian Press

9/5/2006 11:56:13 AM

PITTSBURGH (AP) - Evgeni Malkin signed his first NHL contract with the Pittsburgh Penguins on Tuesday, slightly more than three weeks since slipping away from his Russian team and making a clandestine trip to the United States.

Malkin, who skated with Penguins star Sidney Crosby of Cole Harbour, N.S., earlier in the day during an informal workout, watched wide-eyed as the team showed a highlights reel of some of his top plays to reporters.

Malkin, 19, widely considered the top player in the world not previously in the NHL, said while speaking though an interpreter that he was worried at times about his safety after sneaking away from his Russian Super League Metallurg Magnitogorsk team in Helsinki.

"I definitely was a little concerned," Malkin said, speaking through an interpreter.

While waiting for his visa, he stayed for three days in a hotel one-half a mile from the Russian Embassy and had to walk past it to go to the American Embassy and get his travel visa to the United States.

Malkin has been training in Los Angeles since arriving in the United States on Aug. 17, but will begin working out with the Penguins as they prepare to open rookie training camp Friday.

"It is a very exciting day for the Pittsburgh Penguins and we commend Evgeni on his courage to come to Pittsburgh and live out his dream to play in the NHL," Penguins general manager Ray Shero said.

Malkin arrived in Pittsburgh on Monday night and had dinner at team owner Mario Lemieux's house, then took part in an informal skate with some Penguins players before attending the Tuesday news conference.

"I've always been very open in my desire to come to come to North America and be one of the best here," Malkin said.

Malkin's contract terms are effectively set by the NHL labour agreement, and he signed a deal identical to that reached by last season's rookie of the year, Alexander Ovechkin of the Washington Capitals.

Ovechkin, drafted immediately ahead of Malkin, has a base salary of $984,2000, plus incentives worth $2.85 million a season. Ovechkin's contract includes $850,000 in relatively easy-to-reach incentives and another $2 million in additional bonuses such as winning a major league award.

Jimmypop316
09-05-2006, 02:37 PM
Going to be fun watching my pens play this year again :). Last year it was Crosby and now its him and Malkiin. I'm also excited to see what Colby Armstrong can do with a whole year playing with Crosby.

GOBLADESGO#3 (among other aliases)
09-09-2006, 04:30 PM
yes i actually know colby armstrong hes a good guy and him crosby, and malkin are going to make pitsburgh alot better than last year, if they were all on the same line theyd be unstoppable, does anybody know what line their planning to put colby on?

LifelongChiefsFan
09-20-2006, 08:18 PM
Malkin injured in first NHL exhibition game

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=ap-penguins-malkin-injured&prov=ap&type=lgns

MONCTON, New Brunswick (AP) -- Evgeni Malkin was injured during his first NHL exhibition game Wednesday night when he collided with Pittsburgh teammate John LeClair early in the second period of the Penguins' 5-4 win over Philadelphia.

The team said the Russian rookie center was taken to a hospital for further evaluation of an upper-body injury. Penguins veteran winger Mark Recchi also was sent to hospital after he was hit with a high stick in the first period.

Penguins general manager Ray Shero said Malkin will be re-evaluated Thursday in Pittsburgh, but could not be more specific about the injury.

"At this point anything else would be speculation," Shero said. "We'll see how he feels tomorrow. Frankly, I was happy he got up considering the way he went down."

Malkin had just finished making a dazzling pass to LeClair when the veteran winger, after missing a great scoring chance, crashed into the boards behind the net and took out Malkin in the process. The Russian catapulted over LeClair and landed hard on the ice. A hush came over the crowd at Moncton Coliseum as Malkin, the No. 2 overall pick behind Alexander Ovechkin in 2004, lay sprawled on the ice for 3-4 minutes.

Malkin got up and skated off the ice but was favoring his left arm. He headed straight to the dressing room. There was no immediate word on his condition.

Malkin had an assist on Sergei Gonchar's first-period goal and also displayed a pair of sensational inside-out moves later in the opening period.

The 20-year-old Malkin was making his much-anticipated debut after his controversial departure from Russia, a matter that remains in the hands of lawyers on both sides of the ocean because he signed a contract with Russian club Metallurg Magnitogorsk before also signing a three-year deal with the Penguins.