PDA

View Full Version : I say NHL team's should not be able to

maple leaf
09-06-2006, 06:49 PM
sign junoir player's to NHL contract's during the Whl playoff's. Case in point Setoguchi was the best player on the ice for both team's in the Saskatoon Regina series last year and one of the reason's Saskatoon won that series. The next series against the Hat San Jose in all their wisdom annouce they have signed him to a multi-year million dollar contract and he was no where to be found in that series I'm not saying the Blades would have won that series But what was San Jose thinking. Devon's mind should have been solely on the series against Medicine Hat. Flash a million dollar's in front of me and I would be a little disttracted also. The WHL spend's alot of time developing these player's to make it to the next level and they the Nhl does thing's like that. It drives me crazy. When the Blades season was over I didn't see Devon up with San Jose, so they could of waited till the Blades season was over. I just had to get that off my chest and I feel better now. Thank you.

SectionNDeserter
09-06-2006, 06:58 PM
Any player that would have his game completely destroyed by signing an NHL contract, will probably never have the mental toughness to play in the NHL....

maple leaf
09-06-2006, 07:22 PM
With your statement but you have to say that it would be a distraction hammering out a contract and playing in the playoff's. That's why most player's wait till the end of the season so they can concentrate at the task at hand. And that is play hockey the best that you can with the least distraction's as possible. Chris Pronger waited till their playoff run was over before he asked for a trade. Could you imagine if he would of announced that during their run. That would of been a total lack of respect to his team mate's. And that is why I think San Jose could of waited till the Blades season was over they had no plan's of calling him up after the Blades season was over anyway.

Bran
09-06-2006, 08:22 PM
Any player that would have his game completely destroyed by signing an NHL contract, will probably never have the mental toughness to play in the NHL....
Absolutely. And if he so much as thought that it would be a distraction (as maple leaf said, that's why most players don't do it), then he should have waited. If he was so great that they wanted him at the beginning, they would have wanted him at the end. Setoguchi has a habit of "disappearing"...When he wants to be, he's a great player....the rest of the time, not so much.

RunTheGoalie
09-09-2006, 02:10 PM
This is why players have agents.

In all likelyhood, Setoguci's agent and his NHL team negotiated and agreed to a contract, then called him in to sign it. Not much of a distraction.

If Devan's mind wasnt on the series with the Tigers, then that is a flaw in his thinking, not the Sharks.

GOBLADESGO#3 (among other aliases)
09-09-2006, 02:20 PM
yes that is exactly why players have agents adn i dont think devon setoguchi would of just left the blades in the dust like that on his own i think his agent had 99% of haveing to do with that

HAF
09-09-2006, 03:03 PM
. Chris Pronger waited till their playoff run was over before he asked for a trade. Could you imagine if he would of announced that during their run. That would of been a total lack of respect to his team mate's.

Thats not true at all. Pronger had told Edmonton he wanted out at the beginning of the season. Edmonton knew it, the league knew it and Pronger knew it.
http://www.thehockeynews.com/en/new...sp?idNews=21620

"The organization was aware of Pronger’s desire to be moved early in the year, yet it rode him all the way to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup final. That’s because even though he wished he were elsewhere, Pronger was professional when it came to doing his job. He played part of the year on a broken foot and through a portion of the playoffs with a partially separated shoulder.

By the end of the year, there was little doubt in anybody’s mind that he was once again the most complete defenseman in the game. Nobody possesses the ability to control a game, plays the quality minutes he does or has the ability to shut down opposing star players, as does Pronger. His 21 points in 24 games was the most by a defenseman in the playoffs since Brian Leetch scored 34 for the Rangers in 1993-94."

09-09-2006, 03:09 PM
i know about the pronger thing, i was just refering to the devon setoguchi situation not every trade situation

HAF
09-09-2006, 03:50 PM
i know about the pronger thing, i was just refering to the devon setoguchi situation not every trade situation

I wasnt referring to your post was I?

09-09-2006, 03:52 PM
oh im sorry i wanst paying attention to what i was typing yeah your right about that