PDA

View Full Version : Kalus In Boston Who Knows

Buldog
09-06-2006, 07:41 PM
I was just at the Boston Bruins web page (ww.bostonbruins.com) and took a look at the Fan Poll. The question asked is, "Which rookie are you most excited to see at camp?". The choices are Chris Collins, Petr Kalus, Phil Kessel, T.J. Trevelyan and Other.

Here are the current results:
Chris Collins 7.66%
Petr Kalus 3.68%
Phil Kessel 79.38%
T.J. Trevelyan 6.14%
Other 3.14%

I sure hope that it is a positive sign for the Pats. I'm sure hoping Petr has a good camp...just good enough for the Bruins to send him back.

Buldog

Toswammi
09-06-2006, 07:44 PM
you have to remember all the hype Kessel is getting, that alone is skewing the numbers

Buldog
09-06-2006, 07:57 PM
I do know the hype behind Kessel...I'm hoping the Bruins are affected by the hype.

Buldog

Bran
09-06-2006, 08:05 PM
you have to remember all the hype Kessel is getting, that alone is skewing the numbers
Exactly...That poll doesn't really have any meaning. Maybe when camp is over there will be a poll asking which rookie surprised you the most at camp and Kalus will be leading tha way...People are excited to see Kessel because they have high expectations, and want to see what the hype's about. I don't know what kind of coverage Kalus is getting down there, but I get the feeling that a lot of people don't know much about him, and therefore don't have much to be excited about. They'll see :)

Bran
09-06-2006, 08:10 PM
I do know the hype behind Kessel...I'm hoping the Bruins are affected by the hype.

Buldog
I don't...I'd have a hard time supporting a team that made decisions based on hype. That certainly doesn't bode well for their players. That's where teams get into playing favourites...and teams that should be successful, aren't.

Buldog
09-06-2006, 08:20 PM
I don't...I'd have a hard time supporting a team that made decisions based on hype. That certainly doesn't bode well for their players. That's where teams get into playing favourites...and teams that should be successful, aren't.

I don't mean a team should base their decisions on the fans wants...I hope that the Bruins pay more attention (which I think they will) to Kessel rather than Kalus...then send him back to the Pats and be amazed with Petr's year with the Pats.

Buldog

Bran
09-06-2006, 08:32 PM
I'm sorry, I misunderstood your comment. I still believe that if Kalus has a good camp, they're going to take notice, doesn't matter who else is on the ice. That's their job.

nivek_wahs
09-06-2006, 09:54 PM
I'm thinking that if Petr does have a good camp that he will stick around for a while with the big club. But there comes a time when a 19 year old needs to play at some level as how much ice-time would he get in Beantown? Not that much... imo. I'm not saying that Kalus will be sent back to Regina (I hope he does) but he will need to develop. Sitting in the stands or on the bench doesn't help any player get better.

I am thinking that if he does make the big club... he will be in a similar situation that Gilbert Brule (not comparing them to each other :spineyes: )was in last year and get returned for one last crack at Junior.

WHL Rules
09-07-2006, 09:32 AM
Since Kalus is signed I doubt that he will be back with Regina. If he doesn't stick with the big team I expect him to play with the Providence Bruins in the AHL. Since he was drafted out of Europe (and not out of the CHL) he can play there as an 19 year old.

patsdude114
09-07-2006, 11:28 AM
not according to a arcticle on the Bruins website when he signed his 3yr entry level deal here is the article off there site....i have posted this before also....plus i was curious about it cuz i heard that he could play in the AHL then i read this so i ended up emailing the Bruins about it and yes this article is correct if he doesnt make the Bruins he will be returned to Regina...

****NOTE THE LAST PARAGRAPH*********

Kalus agrees to three-year entry-level contract
5/8/2006

By Jeremy Lemoine

Boston, MA - On Monday, May 8, the Boston Bruins announced that left wing Petr Kalus agreed to terms on a three-year entry-level contract.

Kalus, a native of Ostrava, Czech Republic, was Boston’s second pick, 39th overall, in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft. After being drafted by the Bruins, the WHL’s Regina Pats drafted the 18-year-old third overall in the 2005 Canadian Hockey League import draft.

In his first season in the WHL, he led all rookies in scoring with 36 goals in just 60 games. He also led Regina in goals and in points with 36-22=58 totals. Kalus played in six playoff games and registered four goals and one assist for five points.

“Petr had an excellent year in Regina last season,” said Interim General Manager Jeff Gorton. “He led his team in goals and points as a rookie. He’s shown a real scoring touch, he has some toughness as well and he’s a very competitive kid. He had a strong showing in training camp last year for us and we look forward to seeing his improvement at training camp this season.”

Prior to coming to North America to play in the WHL, Kalus played three seasons of junior hockey with Vitkovice in the Czech Junior League. In 91 games, he recorded 28-19=47 totals and 228 penalty minutes.

The 6’1”, 192 lb. prospect will attend Boston’s training camp in the fall with an opportunity to make the NHL team. In accordance with the new Collective Bargaining Agreement, Kalus will be returned to his junior team in the WHL if the Bruins decide to not keep him on the Boston roster.

WHL Rules
09-07-2006, 11:48 AM
not according to a arcticle on the Bruins website when he signed his 3yr entry level deal here is the article off there site....i have posted this before also....plus i was curious about it cuz i heard that he could play in the AHL then i read this so i ended up emailing the Bruins about it and yes this article is correct if he doesnt make the Bruins he will be returned to Regina...

****NOTE THE LAST PARAGRAPH*********

Kalus agrees to three-year entry-level contract
5/8/2006

By Jeremy Lemoine

Boston, MA - On Monday, May 8, the Boston Bruins announced that left wing Petr Kalus agreed to terms on a three-year entry-level contract.

Kalus, a native of Ostrava, Czech Republic, was Boston’s second pick, 39th overall, in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft. After being drafted by the Bruins, the WHL’s Regina Pats drafted the 18-year-old third overall in the 2005 Canadian Hockey League import draft.

In his first season in the WHL, he led all rookies in scoring with 36 goals in just 60 games. He also led Regina in goals and in points with 36-22=58 totals. Kalus played in six playoff games and registered four goals and one assist for five points.

“Petr had an excellent year in Regina last season,” said Interim General Manager Jeff Gorton. “He led his team in goals and points as a rookie. He’s shown a real scoring touch, he has some toughness as well and he’s a very competitive kid. He had a strong showing in training camp last year for us and we look forward to seeing his improvement at training camp this season.”

Prior to coming to North America to play in the WHL, Kalus played three seasons of junior hockey with Vitkovice in the Czech Junior League. In 91 games, he recorded 28-19=47 totals and 228 penalty minutes.

The 6’1”, 192 lb. prospect will attend Boston’s training camp in the fall with an opportunity to make the NHL team. In accordance with the new Collective Bargaining Agreement, Kalus will be returned to his junior team in the WHL if the Bruins decide to not keep him on the Boston roster.

You are right. They changed it with the new agreement. Under the new agreement once an Euro signs his CHL card to play in the league he acts like any other CHL drafted kid.
Good news for the Pats in this case but I think that some NHL teams might now be reluctant to send their 18 years old Europeans to the CHL and could keep them in the AHL instead (looks like the Maple Leafs will keep Jiri Tlusty in the AHL and not send him to the OHL).

Triton
09-07-2006, 12:27 PM
But does he want to be in Regina?

Could he possibly pull a Jakub Sindel and go play in the Czech?

Bran
09-07-2006, 12:29 PM
But does he want to be in Regina?

Could he possibly pull a Jakub Sindel and go play in the Czech?
I don't really see that happening. If he isn't in the NHL next year, he'll be back in Regina.

patsdude114
09-07-2006, 02:56 PM
well if the Bruins assign him to Regina he kinda has to go and play there if he wants to stay in the Bruins good books.....but i cant see him not wanting to return here..... he enjoyed the style of play that Hunt let him play...he would be even more depended on this yr then he was last yr be put in different situations that will help his delopment like his defensive play..... but im off to watch todays main camp at the brandt centre i guess we just have to wait and see what will happen in Bruins camp...which by the way opens this weekend..... i for 1 will be paying attention to the Bruins website alot for any info on Kalus and other young players in there system like seto from the blades and Kessel

wango tango
09-18-2006, 02:46 PM
so far has impressed bruins head coach dave lewis. he played well in bostons first pre-season game and will be in the lineup against montreal for their next pre-season game. last game he played on the top line with patrice bergeron and brad boyes. keep in mind, to this point, a lot of boston vets have not been in the lineup.

sounds like petr is making a great impression. the bruins are very aware they have to make a choice of keeping him in the show or he returns to junior. if he continues to show as well when more of the vets are in the lineup i would think he stands a pretty good shot of sticking with the b's.