PDA

View Full Version : Name the team contest started by the Oilers

N.W. Bruin
09-06-2006, 11:14 PM
The Oilers announced the name the team contest.

Oil Kings
Junior Oilers
Frostbite
Mercuries
Flyers
Energy
Capitals
Metro
Road Runners
Only Oil Kings, Mercuries, and Road Runners have a serious shot. Oil Kings for nostalgia. Mercuries for history and the Ford tie in. And the Road Runners jerseys and mascot are already done from the AHL, dressing room included

dondo
09-06-2006, 11:51 PM
it would be a curse in my mind to name them after one of the lamest franchises edmonton has ever seen (the road-runners I mean)

I like Oil Kings

but the Mercuries would be a change of pace from the usual oil patch references

Oil Kings is more WHL-y name in my mind though.

Beaner
09-06-2006, 11:53 PM
I like Oil Kings, Mercuries and Road Runners.

Any one of those would be a good choice.

HAF
09-06-2006, 11:58 PM
If my vote counted I'd go with Oil Kings. It sounds classy and is a great tribute to tradition.

Tiger Trauma
09-07-2006, 01:43 AM
My first vote would be Oil Kings
otherwise i like road runners, as well

Edmonton Mercuries sounds a bit wierd to me :spineyes:

Broncs in RD
09-07-2006, 06:28 AM
How about the ICE......oh ya that was already used by the old Edmonton team.....that had to move.

GF71
09-07-2006, 06:51 PM
I would prefer Oil Kings, but I am partial to the Road Runners as well.

scrunt
09-07-2006, 07:29 PM
I'm definitely in favour of the Oil Kings.

If we could go off the board I'd suggest the Edmonton Crude. Or the Edmonton Ratholers. :laugh:

Wildeyes
09-08-2006, 12:49 AM
the frostbite would be cool to with a bear logo with a hockey stick and frostbite across the bottom

Tinner
09-08-2006, 07:10 AM
when you go to their website you'll see that you only get a choice of names to pick from. They have already narrowed it down to those names.....Oil Kings, Frostbite, Mercurys, Flyers, Capitals, Energy, Junior Oilers, Metros, River Kings and Roadrunners.

My top 3 would be: Oil Kings, Roadrunners and Flyers

RunTheGoalie
09-08-2006, 12:42 PM
Can't say I am a fan of any of these names. I can respect the idea of wanting to pay tribute to the city's hockey history (Road Runners? ***!?), but I seriously belive that the Oilers should give their new team a new identity.

So no on the Oil Kings, Mercuries, Flyers, Junior Oilers and Road Runners from me.

The Junior Oilers name is one of the worst choices from EIG's perspective. Why would anyone buy a Jr. Oilers jersey when they can just wear their Oilers jersey?

The rest of the choices are just bad... Frostbite? Ugh.

fightstrap50
09-08-2006, 01:17 PM
they should scrapo the list and go with something in honor of the previous teams as in the Ice and roadrunners, and just go with the name the "Edmonton Ice Runners"

Sput
09-08-2006, 01:31 PM
they should scrapo the list and go with something in honor of the previous teams as in the Ice and roadrunners, and just go with the name the "Edmonton Ice Runners"

Ya know fightstrap....ice runners is kind of a catchy name. Respects the past as well as being something new.

fightstrap50
09-08-2006, 05:27 PM
it is kinda catchy isn't it. I like the sound of it so I put it out there.
thanks Sput!

Wildeyes
09-08-2006, 11:37 PM
what is the website??

fightstrap50
09-09-2006, 09:52 AM
find something cool that fits
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a384/fightstrap50/Orange-6000S.jpg

nivek_wahs
09-09-2006, 12:11 PM
I would stick with tradition. I like the Oil Kings :thumb:

Otherwise the Flyers :p

Please not the Frostbite!! :dead:

HAF
09-09-2006, 12:17 PM
find something cool that fits
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a384/fightstrap50/Orange-6000S.jpg

Easy now Fightstrap...... Your starting to give me Jared flashbacks.......LOL

fightstrap50
09-09-2006, 01:47 PM
hey hey now, Im the one that started the custom jersey thing like two years ago. Jared did a few a while back to yes, but for goodness sake dont lump me in with him. lol.

RunTheGoalie
09-09-2006, 02:13 PM
what is the website??

http://www.edmontonwhl.com

GOBLADESGO#3 (among other aliases)
09-09-2006, 03:57 PM
i like the name oil kings because it already was a team in edmonton but the junior oilers just had no thought at all out into it and i also like the flyers but my top pick would be the oil kings and the 3rd pick would be the mercury but that sounds to tacky

The_Vulk
09-10-2006, 06:38 PM
I personally dislike it when an expansion team uses names/logos/colours from a previous team. That previous team is no more. Get over it and move on.

As much as they are trying to create unnatural ties to the past, they should be working more on creating a path into the future. Don't be looking back - look ahead.

We already have the Wheat KINGS, so having another team using KINGS in their name, be it Oil or River? KINGS... ~yuck~ Besides there is already other teams in different leagues using Kings

The Road Runners have a very long, storied past. From Pheonix, to Toronto, to Edmonton. Having the flightly bird in Edmonton again, I can see another quick departure. LOL

And calling a team "Junior ~insert name~" is not the way to go either. The team stands as a unit, not as a sub-team for its parental unit, espeically when it is not in a farm-team mentality. Having a farm team known as the Junior Flames, or Junior Leafs is one thing, but having a WHL team being so, No.

There are already current sport team (hockey) using Flyers and Capitals. No need for Edmonton to revisit that past either.

The Edmonton Energy? ich.

The Edmonton Metros? Are we talking mass transit, buses or a WHL hockey team?

The Edmonton Mercuries. As in the roman god? Don't know how fast he can run on ice. How would a logo of a character wearing winged shoes and a winged petasos, and carrying the caduceus, a herald's staff with two entwined snakes, look on a sheet of ice? ~snicker snicker~ or Good King Henry (Chenopodium bonus-henricus), also called mercury, lincolnshire spinach or poor man's asparagus is a species of goosefoot native to much of central and southern Europe. (I can just imagine what the logo and colors would be like) LOL

Edmonton FrostBite?

Also along the lines of winter (like the ICE before they moved). Having Jack Frost with a hockey stick as a logo, with icicles on the jersey. At least this one I can see happening, and being a fitting Major Junior Hockey Team logo/name.

This is a new entity. Please treat it as such.

09-10-2006, 07:27 PM
actually i ment didnt like the name mercurry because it was tacky actually you know what??all those names givin kinda suck..i mean like all the names avalible these days are tacky crap come up with something original not super 80s crap

N.W. Bruin
09-11-2006, 12:54 AM
I personally dislike it when an expansion team uses names/logos/colours from a previous team. That previous team is no more. Get over it and move on.

As much as they are trying to create unnatural ties to the past, they should be working more on creating a path into the future. Don't be looking back - look ahead.

We already have the Wheat KINGS, so having another team using KINGS in their name, be it Oil or River? KINGS... ~yuck~ Besides there is already other teams in different leagues using Kings

The Road Runners have a very long, storied past. From Pheonix, to Toronto, to Edmonton. Having the flightly bird in Edmonton again, I can see another quick departure. LOL

And calling a team "Junior ~insert name~" is not the way to go either. The team stands as a unit, not as a sub-team for its parental unit, espeically when it is not in a farm-team mentality. Having a farm team known as the Junior Flames, or Junior Leafs is one thing, but having a WHL team being so, No.

There are already current sport team (hockey) using Flyers and Capitals. No need for Edmonton to revisit that past either.

The Edmonton Mercuries. As in the roman god? Don't know how fast he can run on ice. How would a logo of a character wearing winged shoes and a winged petasos, and carrying the caduceus, a herald's staff with two entwined snakes, look on a sheet of ice? ~snicker snicker~ or Good King Henry (Chenopodium bonus-henricus), also called mercury, lincolnshire spinach or poor man's asparagus is a species of goosefoot native to much of central and southern Europe. (I can just imagine what the logo and colors would be like) LOL

Edmonton FrostBite?

Also along the lines of winter (like the ICE before they moved). Having Jack Frost with a hockey stick as a logo, with icicles on the jersey. At least this one I can see happening, and being a fitting Major Junior Hockey Team logo/name.

It was Kamloops Blazers' original nickname when they moved from New Westminster up to Kamloops. The name lasted two seasons until Peter Pockington sold the Junior Oilers to the Kamloops citizens who now run the team. If Oil Kings is out because of it is in the past the Junior Oilers have the same problem plus it was in another city (Kamloops) all together.

nivek_wahs
09-11-2006, 05:58 AM
Edmonton FrostBite?

There was a franchise in the UHL called the Adirondak Frostbite but the franchise has "gone dark." Their website used to be here http://www.frostbitehockey.com/ it still has the logo present.

dondo
09-11-2006, 10:35 AM
I'm kinda partial to the Ice Runners

but Vulk makes a good point -- I've always liked it when a team chooses a completely new identity - although recycling names seems to be a tradition in and of itself in the dub... hmmm... re: The Chilliwack Bruins (NW Bruins) -

although I like the Bruins name for Chilliwack part of me was hoping they'd be more innovative and the logo they designed for the patch I'd like to see as their regular logo not some re-design of the Boston Bruins/NW Bruins logo.

Looking forward to the Chilliwack thirds which will probably have their arm patch logo as the main logo on a plain black jersey or something similar.

fightstrap50
09-11-2006, 06:19 PM
here is a partial list of some names I came up with in about three minutes

Edmonton Speed
edmonton Crunch
edmonton steel
edmonton rage
edmonton west enders
edmonton crush
edmonton jets
edmonton heat

lets make a list of some names for fun. Who cares if they are stupid just put'em down.

09-11-2006, 06:49 PM
haha good idea i got some

edmonton erioids,
crunch is a good one,
uhh you know what i cant think of more il comeback later lol

Beaner
09-11-2006, 07:26 PM
The more I think about it the more I like the Edmonton Mercuries.

Don't know why but it just seems to work well. I'd have to say that that is my favorite.

nivek_wahs
09-12-2006, 04:26 AM
I have to agree with Beaner on this one. After thinking about it for the last little bit the Edmonton Mercuries does kind of have a cool ring to it. Would it be spelled like Mercuries or Mercury's? :skeptical

I'm still partial to the Oil Kings (Bill Hunter and the nostalgia/history factor), but if that isn't the name chosen the Mercuries would be my choice. :thumb:

ranul
09-12-2006, 10:47 AM
I thought it would be a name the team contest not vote for the team name contest
I was expecting to be able to submit a name and a reason why .

fightstrap50
09-12-2006, 12:16 PM
I thought it would be a name the team contest not vote for the team name contest
I was expecting to be able to submit a name and a reason why .
you could do this under the extra coments section of the voter form

LifelongChiefsFan
09-13-2006, 10:10 PM

Edmonton FrostBite?

I agree. I have never been a fan of "upholding the tradition" for a new franchise, especially for a city that in the past typically doesn't hold a franchise in this league for very long. I agree that these team names aren't the greatest, but there have been worse. Stanford came close to being the trees. Can you imagine the Stanford Trees? Hahaha. Anyway, I think out of all of those I would be in favor of frostbite. Not great, but it is new and not a team name that is very common.

KBF
09-15-2006, 09:17 PM
Edmonton Machines
Edmonton Thirst
Edmonton Punch
Edmonton Shock
Edmonton Rock
Edmonton Oil Cannons

09-16-2006, 11:49 AM
uhhh some of those arent very good, why not just go for the edmonton pickle jars or the edmonton washing machines these names people are coming up with arent very good we need something classic and not so...as ive said many many times, tacky, for example -lazers

fightstrap50
09-16-2006, 12:36 PM
uhhh some of those arent very good, why not just go for the edmonton pickle jars or the edmonton washing machines these names people are coming up with arent very good we need something classic and not so...as ive said many many times, tacky, for example -lazers
Uuhhh.. how both the Edmonton GOBLADESGO'S. HAHAHA

by the way where are yor sugestions?? At least he added something other than criticism

09-16-2006, 04:26 PM
actually i did make suggestions, the edmonton washign machines, lol im just saying edmonton machines arent very good, and i did make suggestions if you read back but i do liek the edmonton GOBLADESGOs lol nice thinking :p

RunTheGoalie
09-17-2006, 09:18 PM

Unfortunately, this is Edmonton we are talking about. A city that when it comes to hockey has spent the last 15 years or so living in the past because the present hasnt offered a whole heckuva lot. I fully expect that the people will choose Oil Kings for this very reason.

09-17-2006, 11:09 PM
yes that is the name that i would go with foresure i hope they choose that one

nivek_wahs
09-18-2006, 06:45 AM
What about Edmonton Extreme or Edmonton Express?

09-18-2006, 08:21 AM
actually the metro doesnt sound bad at all either

ProStaff
09-19-2006, 12:37 AM
Edmonton Rockies
Edmonton Riggers
Edmonton Gold Rush
Edmonton mounties
Edmonton Bisons
Edmonton North Stars
Edmonton Settlers
Edmonton Miners
Edmonton Rednecks
Edmonton Blue Callars
Edmonton Roughnecks
Edmonton Oil slicks
Edmonton Titans
Edmonton Moose
Edmonton Dynasties
Edmonton Gladiators
Edmonton Lumber jacks

Okay I should win!

In the crowd
09-19-2006, 08:55 AM
Ha ha. the "Riggers". That would get my vote for sure

HAF
09-19-2006, 09:07 AM
[QUOTE=ProStaff
Edmonton Roughnecks [/QUOTE]

That would be pretty good too. I like it.

09-19-2006, 10:26 PM
actually i do like the name "roughnecks" but once again it comes into concact with another team name, the calgary roughnecks of the National Lacrosse League, maybe im being to strict but i just dont like team names that are already another teams name, for example in AA baseball there are alot of teams with the same name as their affiliates there for i dont like that. but this name thign is driving me crazy, i think they should just stick with the oil kings because its a good name and some people are saying that it wont work out because their was already a team named the oil kings from edmonton and it didnt last, what i say is, how can you tell a team isnt going to work out just because it has the same name, as another team that didnt work out? explain that to me

Blades 4 Life!
09-20-2006, 11:43 PM
I think they should just stick with the oil kings. That was the original nae of the team and they should have thought of a better team at the start, they are just changing there minds now!!!

09-22-2006, 04:04 PM
thats exactly what i think, i think they should jsut stick with the Oil Kings its a hirstoric team in edmonton and its not an active team like all the other team names have been, i would even accept the team to be called the edmonton jets

Drop em' eh
09-29-2006, 09:37 PM
how about The Edmonton

Eskimo Oiler Kings

InTheBox
10-03-2006, 02:30 PM
For something different - with some marketing potential - how about the...

Edmonton T-Rex

(...because the area is known for the dinosaur fossils found there and the T-Rex is the king...)

I think Oil Kings is a good sentimental pick for a return to Jr. hockey power. At least the jersey won't have a pathetic moose like Moose Jaw's...that's even worse than Spokane's 3rd.

Rattlesnake
10-03-2006, 02:51 PM
I'm partial to the Oil Kings but I used to watch them play. Maybe if the Ice had have been named Oil Kings they wouldn't have moved away. ;)

Somebody said "ich" to Edmonton Energy. My first reaction was similar but I kind of think it's not too bad. It's unique, modern and still references the oil patch.

Raiderfan8
10-04-2006, 07:36 PM
Edmonton Getti.

Wildeyes
10-05-2006, 05:30 AM
looks like the name the team contest is over

The_Vulk
10-10-2006, 04:45 PM
looks like the name the team contest is over
So when are they expected to make the official announcement as to its 'new' name?

RunTheGoalie
10-20-2006, 10:19 PM
Dunno about the official announcement, but the Tigers radio broadcast tonight is saying it is highly likely to be the Oil Kings.

beechnut
11-17-2006, 05:50 PM
Dunno about the official announcement, but the Tigers radio broadcast tonight is saying it is highly likely to be the Oil Kings.

Rumours has it that there will be a press conference on Saturday to tie in with the Red Wings who back in the 50's use to have a farm team here. I have a source close to ownership confirming that the team name will be Oil Kings. We'll see if Ed Mah gave up the name.

Personally, I prefered the Rush, but the NLL team is the Rush, or the Mercuries.

Return of the Kings (http://www.network54.com/Forum/281106/)

Hunt24
11-17-2006, 06:13 PM
TSN is reporting that it will be the Oil Kings, with an official announcement tomorrow.

beechnut
11-18-2006, 11:19 AM
TSN is reporting that it will be the Oil Kings, with an official announcement tomorrow.

1PM Press Conference today... The Edmonton Sun Link (http://www.edmontonsun.com/Sports/Hockey/2006/11/18/2404781-sun.html)

There are suppose to be several ex-Oil Kings like Bill Moores and Al Hamilton in attendence.