PDA

View Full Version : Setoguchi

GOBLADESGO#3 (among other aliases)
09-11-2006, 08:19 AM
soemone give me straite answer is devon setoguchi comeing back people say hes signing with San Jose and the Blades new pole seems to think otherwise so people tell me

howley
09-11-2006, 10:33 AM
I have no source, just opinion but I think he will play a few games for the Sharks and then they will send him back down for the season. I don't think that the sharks are in need of him this year as it appears they have a pretty full roster. If he comes back I'd expect him to lead the league in scoring,

09-11-2006, 11:22 PM
well yes i would to foresure if he takes it seriously i mean he could just think hes the best player in all of hockey and bum it out or he could be like the setoguchi i know and lead that league in goals, i expect konecny to be in the top 10 but im not expecting majic to happen

westbeach55
09-12-2006, 09:21 AM
my opinion is that seto will be sent to Worcester Sharks (san jose top farm team ) just as kyle chipchura was last year (hamilton bulldogs) this is just based on his talent and watching other years players just don't come back. be nice to watch him once again in the dub

N.W. Bruin
09-12-2006, 09:29 AM
my opinion is that seto will be sent to Worcester Sharks (san jose top farm team ) just as kyle chipchura was last year (hamilton bulldogs) this is just based on his talent and watching other years players just don't come back. be nice to watch him once again in the dub

He is a underaged player meaning it is the NHL or back to junior. Chipchura was sent to the AHL after the Prince Albert season ended. Which could happen to Setoguchi after the Blades are done this season.

howley
09-12-2006, 10:46 AM
Some Setoguchi news you may or may not know.

----Taken from the Sharks Website----
SETOGUCHI OUT
Devin Setoguchi, the first round selection of the Sharks in 2005, was held out of the Pacific Division Shootout as a precautionary measure due to a lower body injury. The right wing who has spent the past two seasons in Saskatoon should be ready to compete in training camp.
----------

Also there was a poll on the site and I didn't get the exact numbers cause they just changed it but the poll was "which rookie are you most excited to watch at camp" Setoguchi lead the poll by a signifigant amount taking 54% of the votes and the rest of the votes were spread between 5 other other guys. Also there is a live interview with him on the site on Wednesday at 3:00 pm.

westbeach55
09-12-2006, 01:03 PM
He is a underaged player meaning it is the NHL or back to junior. Chipchura was sent to the AHL after the Prince Albert season ended. Which could happen to Setoguchi after the Blades are done this season.

sorry my mistake

09-12-2006, 03:53 PM
so is this meaning devon setoguchi will be back for the blades next season?

GBG BLEED BLUE
09-12-2006, 03:59 PM
He still can play some games in the NHL,and be sent back to the Blades (just look at the Gilbert Brule situation) last year with the Columbus Blue Jackets,he played for Columbus and then came back to the Giants.

09-12-2006, 04:10 PM
ok im just so nervous all i ask for in this season is for Devon to be back, id rather go 0-72 with Devon here rather than 72-0 with him gone

howley
09-12-2006, 04:42 PM
that's kind of an odd thing to wish for. I think the number of games is something like 12-13 he can play before they have to pay him a higher salary or something like that. So that means alot of players play the maximum amount of games allowed before they are sent back down. I am not sure how that all works. Anyone else know?

wango tango
09-12-2006, 05:10 PM
setoguchi can play 9 games in the nhl. game 10 the first year of his contract kicks in.

apparently setoguchi's injury from this summer is still not fully healed, it is probably the same injury that kept him from participating in team canada's summer camp. i'm sure san jose is just being extra cautious with their first round pick, i can't help but wonder if this injury could be a blessing in disguise for the blades.

i still believe the best route for setoguchi is for san jose to return him to junior where he can dominate and play in the world junior tournament. the sharks are deep at forward why rush him.

09-12-2006, 06:13 PM
man you have no freaken idea how much i want him to play for the Blades this year it would make my life to see him one more time in Saskatoon, since he had a breakout season last year

09-13-2006, 12:25 AM
i dont belive it, i think im seeing something on sportsnet about Seto being signed by the Sharks

09-13-2006, 12:36 AM
wow close call, turns out san jose in the national lacrose league traded someone for a first round pick, read it wrong ;) still extremelly nervous about this situation

howley
09-13-2006, 11:04 AM
Seto already signed an entry level (3 year) contract in April...

Devin Setoguchi, RW
Grade: 8.0 B
Acquired: 1st Rd, 8th Overall, 2005 NHL Entry Draft

Many gasped when San Jose traded up to select Devin Setoguchi with the eighth overall pick in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft. Now, he's a legitimate candidate to crack San Jose's roster as a 19-year-old.

Setoguchi impressed in training camp in 2005 as an 18-year-old and was with the team deep into September. Returned to the Saskatoon Blades for 2005-06, Setoguchi turned his training camp experience into an exceptional season. He was the WHL Player of the Week Nov. 14, played for Team WHL in the Canada/Russia Challenge Series, and finished the season seventh in WHL scoring after tallying 36 goals and 37 assists in 65 games. His offensive numbers and defensive effort earned him Saskatoon team MVP honors as well as a spot on the WHL Eastern Conference Second All-Star Team.

San Jose signed Setoguchi to a three-year entry-level contract April 8, four days before the Blades were eliminated from the playoffs. Setoguchi's eight goals and four assists in 10 games were tied for the league lead in playoff scoring upon elimination.

Setoguchi was passed up by Team Canada for the 2006 World Junior Championships, and he missed the Summer Developmental Camp in Calgary July 22-28 due to a leg injury. The Taber, Alberta, native is still likely to play for Team Canada at the WJC this year.

Setoguchi could challenge for a roster spot on San Jose this season. His speed and hard shot make him dangerous offensively, and his defensive game has matured under Saskatoon head coach Lorne Molleken. Whether Setoguchi's game is mature enough to play on San Jose's fourth line for the Sharks in 2006-07 is to be to determined, but long term he figures to be a top-six forward.

loudi94
09-15-2006, 11:35 PM
man you have no freaken idea how much i want him to play for the Blades this year it would make my life to see him one more time in Saskatoon, since he had a breakout season last year

Judging by all the hoopla around here, I wouldn't expect to see him in Saskatoon for much longer. He'll get traded to help the team rebuild.

09-16-2006, 01:43 AM
yes neither would i but it would still break my heart to see him leave, i jsut want to see him one last time, thats all i ask, and 30+ goals haha :)

GBG BLEED BLUE
09-19-2006, 09:30 PM
Well, I think that it would be benifital to him(since he is still being hampered by an injury) if he came back and played with the Blades,sure he may not have much to prove in the WHL,but with his injury situation,would the sharks want him to take up a spot(he would do that anyways,if he stayed)on the team? While he is still not fully healed from the injury? If he is ready for the NHL and can be consistant,then yes so be it he would probably stay, and he would have a better chance to make the Sharks. Why rush him when he could not be 100% NHL ready?

09-19-2006, 09:37 PM
yes i guess that injury is a huge break for the blades as somebody said a while back, so the chances get even better that he will make a return in the whl, its good to hear

GBG BLEED BLUE
09-19-2006, 09:45 PM
As loudi 94 said, that trading him to stock up for later could not be a bad plan either,that is if the Blades are out of playoff contention,trade him to a top notch team,and that is only if the Blades do not make the playoffs,but if the Blades do make the playoffs. Would it be wise for the Blades to keep him? or trade him? :confused:

09-19-2006, 10:20 PM
in my mind, waite until the trade deadline or right before the deadline and see how the blades are doing, if their in contention, keep him, if they are not in contention, trade him to a team that is for a promissing young player that the Blades can build on

loudi94
09-20-2006, 07:57 AM
in my mind, waite until the trade deadline or right before the deadline and see how the blades are doing, if their in contention, keep him, if they are not in contention, trade him to a team that is for a promissing young player that the Blades can build on

The only risk in waiting is whether or not his current injury is going to be one of those nagging injuries. His stock right now is the highest it's going to get. If he's oft injured, the price for him will decrease. On the other hand, if he's tearing up the league and the Blades are still losing, will fans be livid if he were to be traded. My guess is as of right now he's worth a first-round pick and a promising 17 year old. I don't see that increasing over time.

Blades 4 Life!
09-20-2006, 01:51 PM
ya i think that the bladesm should keep him around tell the deadline and if the blades aren't going to make the playoffs i think they should trade him. they could easily get a first round draft pic and a 17 year old. i think the blades will end you trading him by the deadline

09-20-2006, 04:25 PM
ya that rigth there is the perfect situation, but if everythign goes wrong the blades could be in last plase, or out of contention and seto gets injured, but lets hope that doesnt happen and we can get a half decent deal out of Seto

Dwight Schrute
09-20-2006, 04:52 PM
i agree. if you can get a first round pick and promising 17 year old take it. I know in P.A we couldnt get a 1st round pick or promising 17 year old for Chipchurra at the deadline but if they would have traded him at the start of the season they would have got more for him cuz he would get to play more for the team.
i had heard the brett sonne and a 2nd round in 2006 was offered for chipper
and i also heard keegan dansereau and a first in 2006 were offered
but donn clark scoffed at the idea, and apparantly wanted alex plante, and a first in 2006, and something else. (not suprised calgary delined that)
i would have liked the sonne, and 2nd in 06 myself

vancouver has been rumoured a lot and i hope the blades can make a nice aquisition from them

wango tango
09-20-2006, 05:25 PM
i had heard the brett sonne and a 2nd round in 2006 was offered for chipper
and i also heard keegan dansereau and a first in 2006 were offered
but donn clark scoffed at the idea, and apparantly wanted alex plante, and a first in 2006, and something else. (not suprised calgary delined that)
i would have liked the sonne, and 2nd in 06 myself

vancouver has been rumoured a lot and i hope the blades can make a nice aquisition from them

if sonne and a 2nd round pick were offered i'd have taken it. tough situation for clark the raiders were not out of the playoff hunt, although it didn't look good, and what kind of message is it sending to the fans at that point? we're giving up and looking to next year country? i don't know like i said a tough situation. having sonne and the extra pick would sure look good right now though.

the setoguchi thing i look at from two angles. 1 - with the konecny-gillies-macaulay line finding some chemistry and looking pretty good in the last preseason game, pair up setoguchi with mccrae and ? and you'd have two solid scoring lines. in an east division that looks tight it might be enough to take the blades from missing the playoffs to as high as second place, maybe. 2 - dealing setoguchi leaves the team with no crutches to fall back on this season, and puts the team in a pretty good spot to be competitive this year and a very early favourite for next season.

bones
09-20-2006, 10:08 PM
I keep hearing that Seto is going to end up out west to either Vancouver or PG. It sounds like the Blades are actively shopping him around.

ProStaff
09-20-2006, 10:21 PM
I wouldn't read into it to much, most of the talk is from NON Blades fans wishing that we would get rid of him for an unproven first round pick. He stay we are play-off bound for sure trade him, we don't make the play-offs. Very simple if you ask me.

Dwight Schrute
09-20-2006, 10:54 PM
I wouldn't read into it to much, most of the talk is from NON Blades fans wishing that we would get rid of him for an unproven first round pick. He stay we are play-off bound for sure trade him, we don't make the play-offs. Very simple if you ask me.
yeah or build for the future and get a high return from a team guaranteed a memorial cup appearance as host, who arent looking at getting in the back door. adding seto would help bolster their offense and pp. with a strong d and strong goal adding offense is all thats needed.
and in stoon (where i currently live) there is a lot of talk about seto going. its obvious the blades tried to make their run last year and this year doesnt look like their year. after all seto has donr for the blades why not trade him to a contender and give him a chance at a title ?? i said the same about chipchura last year. but donn clark was more interested in trying to make the playoffs and get the revenue from 2 home playoff dates then to try to build a winner.

ProStaff
09-20-2006, 11:16 PM
I hear what you are saying, but I would be totally out raged if they trade him for some un proven draft picks, there better be some top 17 year olds that have shown that they can play in the WHL, for Lorne to do anything. I feel that we have alot of young talent, that could use a year of watching Seto and with his help, make this year a success not a disapointment.

GBG BLEED BLUE
09-23-2006, 01:41 PM
Shark fans on HF boards think that it would be best for him to stay in San Jose so the medical staff can monitor his injury.

here is where they are disscusing the issue: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=291988

09-24-2006, 09:49 PM
it gives me less and less hope everytime i read something like that, my hopes of him coming back are getting very thin

GBG BLEED BLUE
09-25-2006, 10:12 PM
I started this thread to see what they thought and got some responses.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=293003

Shortys
09-28-2006, 06:42 PM
http://www.sjsharks.com/news/news.asp?story_id=2626 Seto makes another cut today. He is still on the roster with now only 6 left to cut. He still hasn't played in the preseason, maybe he will for the last 2 games this weekend.

bones
09-29-2006, 03:04 PM
I heard that hes being sent back to junior on Oct 1. I also heard that once he gets sent back to the WHL that there is already a done deal that has him moving from Saskatoon out West.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
09-29-2006, 04:24 PM
I heard that hes being sent back to junior on Oct 1. I also heard that once he gets sent back to the WHL that there is already a done deal that has him moving from Saskatoon out West.

He could go anyone of the big teams west. Vancouver(Easy Choice), maybe Everett or PG. Hell, maybe even tri cities, they have made a few big deals, and they could still do that. Spokane is a;long shot but it could still happen.

Vancouver is the easy choice to say where he is going, and theres a huge possibility that is where he will go, but I think that he will go to Everett, in exchange for 2 or 3 bantam picks and a good prospect, if 2 picks then a '87 born, because you guys are in a big need for overagers next year. This will probably be Muellers last year in everett, depending on how well he does in phoenix next year. If the gooch goes there, they will go far in the playoffs with the top offence in the CHL, and give vancouver a run for their prize.

loudi94
09-29-2006, 10:39 PM
Would you pull the trigger for Tri-Cities first pick and Dwight King?

Beaner
09-30-2006, 12:15 AM
Vancouver is the easy choice to say where he is going, and theres a huge possibility that is where he will go, but I think that he will go to Everett, in exchange for 2 or 3 bantam picks and a good prospect, if 2 picks then a '87 born, because you guys are in a big need for overagers next year.

Sorry disagree, I dont think Everett needs another Sniper for their run this year. If they need anything it is a bone-afide #1 D-man. I cant see them making a play for Setoguchi.