PDA

View Full Version : Camp Surprises....

Nielson11
09-11-2006, 02:54 PM
Hey Guys,

Just looking to see who think has surprised at camp so far.

I've been somewhat impressed by the play of Mitch McColm....he looks pretty calm back on the blueline and seemed to be comfortable on the PK against Red Deer on Saturday night, I also noticed him jumping up into the rush a couple of times. Is there room for him on the blueline over a guy like Bentz?

If you look at the back end it's

Kudelka, Wright, King, Kerr.....then I guess Fauth, Craige, Bentz, McColm, Bobbee and Montgomery fighting for spots.

I think it would be a good idea to go with the first four, then McColm, Bobbee and Montgomery. Just my preference.

Up front I really like 20 year old Werenka....I watched him several times in the AJHL last year and he always dominated. I was impressed with his patience on Saturday night, making some great feeds on the PP. His patience is something I think the team needs this year...with a ton of young talent like Boychuk, King, Fads etc....an veteran offensive presence would be nice.

Anyway just tossing out some random thoughts.

Nielson

PS...Make sure to visit www.hockeysfutureradio.com

Caner
09-11-2006, 03:46 PM
For the most part I agree with you, remember Red Deer also dressed a very young lineup. I could be wrong but isn't Montgomery back in Moose Jaw? My guess is: King, Kerr, Kudelka, Wright, McColm, Bobbee, Bentz, Craig. I also think Werenka/Welsh have the best chance of the new 20's. Don't know what he's like in the room, and that is important. Rosters always change closer to the 20 year old deadline.

grainbear
09-11-2006, 04:55 PM
I would have to agree with your def selection. I have been a little surprised at no offensive state yet for Bobbee, Might just be nerves. Not sure about Fauth , has not shown me yet that he should be one of 20 year olds. I think he is on the fence and would rather see a youngster such as Craig or Bobbee stay as the 7th defensemen unless we carry 8 . McColm , should be here he has looked good and also did an admirable job last spring when he was up with the club. As far as the forwards, with the exception of last year we seem to loose some of on the fence at decision time younger players when we send them back for another year of midget to the us college route, maybe it is time for the canes to work a redshirt type arrangement with midget AAA in Lethbridge. They would practise at least once a week with the Canes and balance of time spent playing midget AAA and being available for callup due to injuries . Scolarships would kick in from year one if they make the team the following year . Just an idea

grainbear
09-12-2006, 05:08 PM
The following were cut after the weekend games

Pillar 90
Iwanski 90
Montgomery 90

and then today Fauth 86 left the team to explore other options

none of these surprised me with the exception of Montgomery but I remember the comments earlier in regards to his tryouts at home that the work ethic wasn,t thre either. Guess , the message has been given and hopefully it will improve for next year. He could be very good , it appears to be motivation rather then ablity .

Shunita
09-13-2006, 04:29 PM
I don't know guys. I have been watching the Midget AAA team in Lethbridge and I think that would be a horrible idea. They look like they would have a hard time beating a decent AA team. They better hope they have a stellar goalie coming in from a late Major Jr cut. Other than 1 or 2 of them I don't think there is a player there that would deserve to break out of a Major Jr rookie camp let alone practice at a Major Jr A level with a team. It would be a novel idea if there was some strength in the LAA but there isn't on this tiny team. I think that would be a huge detriment to the Canes systems and veteran players. IMHO...