PDA

View Full Version : Rick Rypien

Dwight Schrute
09-11-2006, 11:12 PM
i am a avid canuck fan and ripper (rick rypien) is making a name for himself in camp. he was said by some to be the best forward on the ice (this includes grabner schultz, hanson etc...) he is also a favorite of the canucks new coach who was his coach in the ahl last year. i am a regular poster on www.hfboards.com mostly in the canucks section and am rooting for him to win the 4th line job this year. the work ethic and heart and toughness and hard hitting honest style he plays would be a welcome addition to the nucks.
most who saw him play his 5 game stint last year (till he broke his leg) were very pleased with him, he also scored a goal on his first shift in the nhl too.
there is about a 70 % chance of rypien makeing the nuck opening night roster. him and burrows and linden make an excellent 4th line

patsfan33
09-11-2006, 11:28 PM
I'm a regular on the Moose boards and travel up to the Peg just to see Ryp play with the Moose every now n then...actually been following them since he started in the A....i love how when he played his first game for the Nucks ppl on the Canucks.com boards were like who the hell is this kid....lol

...anyway here's a little excerpt from an article on canucks camp:

...But the star of the show was 22-year-old Rick Rypien.

Rypien looked excellent during the on-ice drills. His puck pursuit was infectious and he put 110 % into each and every drill.

His strong effort continued in the scrimmage when he scored a dazzling highlight-reel goal.
Streaking down the left wing, Rypien drove wide around the defender and cut to the net before sliding the puck under netminder Dustin Slade...

...Ryps definately got high hopes...and yes, Dustin Slade is also at camp right now...i've heard he isn't doing so hot...interesting

....and back on topic now....

Dwight Schrute
09-12-2006, 12:12 AM
canucks.com forum is a terrible place.... its like they gathered the worst and dumbest fans together there. hfboards is the place to go. but from all accounts if rypien doesnt make the team, he will be at the top of the call up list
sorry for going off topic i was reading this and saw about rypien so i thought id post about it

patsfan33
09-12-2006, 10:34 AM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/PatsFan21/kristacopy.jpg

...I was bored and since i'm such an avid Rypien fan I've decided to start a thread on the former Pat. Rypien somehow managed to go undrafted during his time spent in the dub, but not unnoticed as the Manitoba Moose of the AHL decided to offer him a tryour contract a couple years ago. To make a long story short, after a full season in the A, Rick has become the fan favourite of many Moose players and followers and more recently those of the Nucks, suprising many with his fearless attitude, grit, heart and 110% work ethic. In addition, the opposition has learned not to judge this kid on his size either...(see pics below of 170lb 5"11 Ryp vs 200lbs 6'2 Tollefsen...one of Rick's first fights in the A...no one had anything but respect for #11 after that..lol) His play with the Moose had earned Rick a short 5 game stint in the big leagues last year before falling victom to a broken ankle. However, it wasn't all bad...Ryp managed to snipe his first NHL goal, in his first NHL game, on his first NHL shot (i was watching it on HNIC and i literally jumped outta my chair... :D ) and won over many fans in the process:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/PatsFan21/rickgoal.jpg

so here's some insight/comments about his progress at Nuck camp:

http://hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=9042

Despite the fierce competition, Rick Rypien has been turning heads and Coach Vigneault publicly voiced his appreciation of the fierce competitor. Rypien has limited upside and will never develop into a 20-goal scorer at the NHL level, but his sheer will and determination appear to once again have him on the radar of the Canucks. The undersized grinder was impressive in his five-game stint in the show last season before being sidelined by an injury. Rypien will need to bring an elevated level of intensity to every practice, intrasquad and exhibition game in order to earn a spot on the roster, but he certainly has the drive to make it happen. Rypien’s lack of hand skill and hockey sense is something that he can overcome with his impressive desire and the team doesn’t need him to contribute much offensively if he’s playing eight minutes a game on the fourth line.

Fighting for Ice:
http://www.canucks.com/theinsider/default.asp?sectionID=5&id=1580

Rypien still remembers the shot that did it. It was New Year’s Eve in Minnesota and the Canucks were trailing 4-3, needing a win to keep pace in a tight Northwest Division race. Fighting to hold a patch of ice in front of Manny Fernandez, Rypien turned away from his check and took a point-shot in the ankle. He hobbled to the bench, and in that instant his first NHL season came to a painful close. It lasted just five games, most of it spot duty on the fourth line with Trevor Linden and Ryan Kesler.

Short as it was, Rypien, who went undrafted out of junior hockey and had to sign a tryout contract with the Manitoba Moose in 2005 just to get a look at professional hockey, opened eyes. While Rypien may have surprised a few Canuck fans with his scrappy game, it didn’t exactly catch any Regina Pat fans off guard. Rypien was Named Team MVP, Most Popular Player, and won the Molson Molson Cup Award based on three-star selections in his final year of junior.

The Skinny:

More Claude Lemiuex than Mario, Rypien’s never been a big scorer. He tallied 51 points in 63 games with the Pats in 2004-05, and 15 points in 49 games with the Moose in 2005-06. What he does bring is grit, evidenced by his 122 penalty minutes in his first professional season with the Moose. Rypien’s got pride and never-say-die attitude. Nobody knows this more than Alain Vigneault who coached Rypien last year in Manitoba.

With his ankle fully healed, Rypien will undoubtedly be looking to make a statement up in the Okanagan.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/PatsFan21/picturea.jpg http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/PatsFan21/pictureb.jpg

Canucks Camp (Day 2):

He had to try out with the Moose two years ago just to get a look from scouts, but the former Regina Pat is having no problems attracting attention now.

A five-game audition with the Canucks last year was cut short when an errant point shot broke his ankle, but that taste was enough for ‘Ripper.’ He was easily the best player on day two.

“Probably the guy I liked most out there was Rick Rypien,” said Vigneault, who coached the 5’11” tornado last year in Manitoba. “He’s got my attention. Hopefully he’ll be able to bring what he’s doing right here to the main camp.”

“He’s a feisty little guy. You’ve got to love that work ethic and that commitment. He’s in great shape”

http://www.canucks.com/theinsider/default.asp?sectionID=5&id=1589

During the scrimmage, honorable mention goes to Marc-Andre Bernier for scoring two goals - one of which was a roof job on a one-timer in the slot. But the star of the show was 22-year-old Rick Rypien.

Rypien looked excellent during the on-ice drills. His puck pursuit was infectious and he put 110 % into each and every drill.

His strong effort continued in the scrimmage when he scored a dazzling highlight-reel goal.
Streaking down the left wing, Rypien drove wide around the defender and cut to the net before sliding the puck under netminder Dustin Slade.

There were also some big hits near the end of the 2 nd half. Nothing dirty or cheap - just good, solid body checks into the boards.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/PatsFan21/rypienrest_b_edited.jpg

Anyway, anyone is free to add further articles/comments/pics etc and feel free to visit the Moose page (www.moosehockey.com), (http://www.moosehockey.com/roster/rypien_rick/) and the Moose boards... he's usually a topic somewhere. :wave:

Bran
09-12-2006, 11:00 AM
That last picture says it all. He's such a small guy, doesn't look tough at all...you'd barely expect him to be able to hold his own out there if you didn't know better, yet he does...and so much more. He has so much heart, so much will that it more than makes up for his lack of size and actual skill. He'll work harder than anyone out there and even though he may not score a lot of goals, he'll never go unnoticed.

Fight Guy
09-12-2006, 03:01 PM
Ahhh...so that's you on the Moose forums! I cant wait to see what Rypien does this season. I hope he is able to make the Canucks. In the games he played last season he played very well. Hope to see him suit up with them this season!

And I see he scored a highlight reel goal on SLADE in scrimmage. I hope Slade is able to show his stuff aswell and find himself playing pro this season!

GOBLADESGO#3 (among other aliases)
09-12-2006, 03:58 PM
ya man so am i since ive started notising the whl hes been my favorite player and im really glad to see him in the nhl

patsfan33
09-12-2006, 06:37 PM
Ahhh...so that's you on the Moose forums!
Guilty!! :D

And I see he scored a highlight reel goal on SLADE in scrimmage. I hope Slade is able to show his stuff aswell and find himself playing pro this season!
Slade was actually released from camp today....

On another note, Ryp continues to shine:
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NHL&id=1950&line=38509&spln=1

Reports are that Rick Rypien was the best player at Vancouver's prospect camp for the third straight day.
"Without a doubt, he's the best player at this camp so far," Canucks head coach Alain Vigneault said Monday. "Every scrimmage he's found a way to make an impression. Rick is one of the most intense, hard-nosed players I've seen in a long time. He skates, he hits and he can fight." Rypien was called up last year before breaking his ankle, so keep an eye on his status.

Fight Guy
09-12-2006, 10:23 PM
That's too bad for Slade...but Rypien on the other hand... Sounds like the club just loves him. I have a feeling there will be alot of dissapointed, yet happy, Moose fans this season!

nivek_wahs
09-13-2006, 02:04 AM
I always loved Rick's competitive spirit and never-give-up attitude. If the Pats were up in a game or down in a game his play NEVER changed. He was a true heart and soul player who loved Regina and the Pats organization just as much. I will never forget his farewell letter that was in the LeaderPost and on the Pats website...

FAREWELL LETTER BY PATS CAPTAIN

Rypien leaves no doubt about his feelings

March 21, 2005

Since the beginning, it has been a privilege for me to be a part of both Regina and the Regina Pats Hockey Club. As such, I would like to thank those people who have been a part of my life while playing for the Pats.

I would first like to thank (scouts) Todd Ripplinger and Frank Dryka for believing in me and helping me become a Regina Pat. I would also like to thank (owner) Russ and (general manager) Brent Parker for giving me the honour of being a Regina Pat for three years.

I would like to thank my coaches and all the players I have worked with in the past three years. I have found great friendships that I will take with me as I leave Regina. I have nothing but respect for everyone I have worked or played with, and what they have taught me both on and off the ice.

Although our season was a disappointing one, there is a great group in this organization, and along with two of the best coaches, Curtis Hunt and Mike Blaisdell, I know this team is headed in the right direction and will strive for success in the future.

I would like to place a special thanks to my billets for the past three years, the Engelhardts. Without you, playing hockey in a new city would have been a tough road.

Finally, I want to thank the dedicated group of people who make it all possible — the fans. Thank you for your support and for standing behind the Regina Pats through the good and not-so-good times. I will never forget the feeling that you have given me as a player — it’s unbelievable.

I will always be a Regina Pat and if it were possible I’d play here forever. No matter where I end up in the future, Regina will always be a second home to me and I plan to return as often as I can. So, once again, a big thank you to the Pats organization, the players, billets, fans and the City of Regina.

As a last note, I would like to say that even though this past year has been a struggle and we did not make the playoffs, this year was one of the most memorable. I was very grateful to complete my WHL career as a Regina Pat. The players and coaches, Huntsy and Blazer, have taught me so much and have treated me with nothing but respect. I will always walk with my head held high and be proud that I am a Regina Pat. I contributed the best that I could and hopefully gave the organization something they can hold on to and be proud of. Best of luck in the future to all of the players (my friends). You’ll all be sadly missed.

Your friend,
Rick Rypien

All I really got to say is way to go Ryp! Show'em what you got whether you are in Vancouver or Winnipeg.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
09-13-2006, 04:15 PM
Rypien's stock rises in eyes of head coach
Hits, hustle and goals net accolades

The first star of the 2006-07 season goes to Rick Rypien.

The scrappy 22-year-old was impossible to ignore during the Canucks prospects training camp, playing all out at both ends of the ice.

He hit. He hustled. He scored.

Head coach Alain Vigneault gave him first-star honours for his performance.

"He's the top overall player," Vigneault said.

The best goalie Vigneault saw was Alexandre Vincent, a 6-foot-4 netminder the Canucks drafted in the fourth round of the 2005 draft.

On defence, Vigneault said Luc Bourdon was "just OK."

He was most impressed with QMJHL standout defenceman Patrick Coulombe. Last year, the 21-year-old had 23 goals and 54 assists in 62 games with the Rimouski Oceanic.

DANE GREAT

After watching Danish prospect Jannik Hansen, Vigneault is convinced he will be a big part of the Canucks future.

"The first thing that jumped out at me is obviously his skill," Vigneault said. "He has great puck skills. He has a really great shot. He seems to be able to find the open area in the offensive zone to make things happen. He's a young man we all feel is going to be a part of our future. How close that future is, we don't quite know."

Vigneault said he's anxious to see how Hansen responds at the main camp in Vernon.

Hansen was one of the last players selected in the 2004 draft, going to the Canucks in the ninth round.

The Rypien thread keeps a-goin.. To tell you the truth, Im very impressed with some of the things I have heard about his camp. I havn't really been a fan of a single NHL team (maybe the wings because of Yzerman and Shanahan, but they are gone now), but I might just become a canucks fan this year.

grainbear
09-13-2006, 05:38 PM
I have just read the letter , what class , and also talent !. This is what the WHL is all about. Taking boys and turning them into men , with manners, devotion and skill both for our game of hockey and life. No wonder his name is Rypien because he is just "ripen great". Thanks for the memories when we saw you in Lethbridge and looking forward to your presence in the NHL, because man your going to get there.

patsfan33
09-14-2006, 01:48 PM
yet another article (stolen off the Moose forum)...the kid's got headlines everyday!

Bulking up for the big fight
180-pound forward Rypien no lightweight on the ice

Gordon McIntyre, The Province
Published: Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Rick Rypien has bulked up, all the way to about 180 pounds.

That doesn't sound like much, especially when it's carried by a frame of just 5-foot-10, but good luck to the bigger opponent who takes the forward lightly.

"He's one of the most intense, hard-nosed players I've seen in a long time," said Vancouver Canucks coach Alain Vigneault, who coached Rypien last season with the Canucks' AHL farm club in Manitoba. "He skates, he hits and he can fight.

"He loves to fight."

Rypien -- a second cousin of former Washington Redskins quarterback and Super Bowl MVP Mark Rypien -- has been the runaway standout at the Canucks prospects camp after three days at Burnaby 8-Rinks.

"Rick doesn't look big, but he's a really good fighter," Rypien's Moose linemate and good buddy Alex Burrows said recently.

"He messed up a lot of guys in the American league."

Rypien is assured a spot at the main training camp, which begins in earnest on Friday in Vernon.

And he's a good candidate to fill the role played by departed pest Jarkko Ruutu on the NHL roster once the season begins.

"Without a doubt, at this camp so far, he's the best player who's here," said Vigneault, whose enthusiasm for Rypien was a big reason the 22-year-old was called up last season, when he weighed in at just 170.

"Every game [scrimmage] he's found a way to make an impression and I'm very confident knowing him the way I do that he's going to do the same at the main camp."

Rypien played five games with the big club last season, scoring a goal, collecting four minutes in penalties and averaging 6:19 minutes of ice time before a freak ankle break in St. Paul, Minn., on New Year's Eve against the Wild.

"I was playing with Rick when he scored his first [NHL] goal," Trevor Linden said. "He's a real good player, a real quality guy."

It's been a long road for the native of Coleman, Alta. Not only was he never drafted in the NHL entry draft, he wasn't even drafted in the WHL's bantam draft.

Picked up for the 2004 AHL playoffs by the Moose after a four-year stint with the sad-sack Regina Pats, he signed a three-year contract with the Canucks last November.

The Canucks have always loved his competitive spirit, going back to his days with Regina where despite playing on a loser he never mailed in a shift.

And team officials say he's leaps and bounds ahead of where he was a year ago.

"You guys have just seen little bits of what he can do," Vigneault said.

Rypien has a hard road ahead of him. But he's a great example of how far heart can carry an athlete.

"Last year, I just went in trying to make Manitoba's team," Rypien said. "To get the contract from Vancouver was something pretty special.

"I want to stand out out there. I try to do something every day to try and get noticed. But I've got a long ways to go, a lot of work ahead of me. I just want to keep building every day."

gordshockey@png.canwest.com

patsfan33
09-19-2006, 12:50 AM
Rypien's still in it:

The following players will dress against the Flames Tuesday:

Bernier, M-A Right Wing Columbia/Manitoba ECHL-AHL
Bieksa, Kevin Defense Manitoba/Vancouver NHL-AHL
Bourdon, Luc Defense Moncton/Val-d'Or QMJHL
Brown, Mike Right Wing Manitoba AHL
Chouinard, Marc Right Wing Minnesota NHL
Cooke, Matt Left Wing Vancouver Canucks NHL
Dwyer, Gordie Left Wing Lowell AHL
Goren, Lee Right Wing Vancouver/Manitoba NHL-AHL
Green, Josh Left Wing Vancouver/Manitoba NHL-AHL
Fitzpatrick, Rory Defense Buffalo NHL
Flaherty, Wade Goal Manitoba AHL
Kutny, Vladimir Left Wing Trencin CZE
MacIntyre, Drew Goal Grand Rapids AHL
McIver, Nathan Defense Manitoba AHL
Reid, Brandon Centre Rapperswil SWISS
Rullier, Joe Defense Hartford AHL
Rypien, Rick Centre Manitoba/Vancouver NHL-AHL
Santala, Tommi Centre Jokerit FIN
Schultz, Jesse Right Wing Manitoba AHL
Tremblay, Yannick Defense Mannheim GER

patsdude114
09-19-2006, 10:12 PM
lol u gotta like the words used for the Pats team during Rypiens last season "sad-sack regina" lol yes we were that bad during his last season lol

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
09-26-2006, 12:25 AM
Evidently Rypien sprained his thumb and is out for the rest of preseason, but good news is he is a lock for 4th line center on the Canucks. The head coach said they'd keep him up with the team to let him play once he has healed.

So it looks like Ricky is starting in the big show this year. :groovy: :clap: :groovy:

GOBLADESGO#3 (among other aliases)
09-26-2006, 08:21 AM
that sucks he is injured, but all in all he will be playing with the Cannucks and thats all that matters even though im not a fan of the Cannucks im cheering for Rick all the way even if he is out for the rest of the pre-season, does anybody know how bad the thumb injury is?

patsfan33
09-26-2006, 02:10 PM
Fight costly for Rypien
Fringe forward sidelined with sprained thumb

Elliott Pap, Vancouver Sun
Published: Monday, September 25, 2006

Feisty centre Rick Rypien has become the first notable casualty of the Vancouver Canucks' pre-season.

Rypien, who is trying to make the club as a fourth-line energy player, sprained his right thumb Friday night in Anaheim and will likely miss the remainder of the exhibition campaign that concludes Saturday.

The 22-year-old was hurt in a fight with Duck prospect Geoff Peters. Rypien is hoping he can make it back for another pre-season audition, but that may be wishful thinking.

"It's kind of frustrating, but I don't think it's a big deal," Rypien said Sunday. "I just have to watch it and get back as soon as I can. Hopefully it's not too long, a week or under.

"My goal is to play some more exhibition games. There's still a long way to go yet before the regular season starts."

Even if Rypien doesn't get another pre-season sniff, he may yet survive the final cutdown. Canuck head coach Alain Vigneault indicated that Rypien has made the big club based on his performance to date.

"If the season would start tomorrow, he would be on this team," Vigneault declared. "I'm not quite sure where we're going to go with that because of the injury but, if I was a betting man, I'd bet we'll give him a chance to get healthy and then he might be with this team."

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/sports/story.html?id=bcfd17be-826d-4d23-9e8d-58a277e2b07c

old_time_hockey
09-26-2006, 03:14 PM
canucks.com forum is a terrible place.... its like they gathered the worst and dumbest fans together there. hfboards is the place to go. but from all accounts if rypien doesnt make the team, he will be at the top of the call up list
sorry for going off topic i was reading this and saw about rypien so i thought id post about it

Yes and No.

There are some good posters at CDC. But there are more that are crap. Once you get to know who is who there you know whos posts to read and whos to skip.

The problem there is I'd say 75% of them don't give a care about the Moose, Salmon Kings (most didn't know that the Nucks and Inferno have parted) or CHL hockey for that matter. They are Canuck fans....not hockey fans. But they love to slag Nuck scouts even those these posters know nothing about junior players or who is in the system.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
10-02-2006, 05:23 PM
Rick was assigned to the Moose in the AHL today...

Yeah, Im surprised too. Perhaps he wont be ready to start the season because of his injury. The coach said that once rick is ready, they will bring him back up to play with the canucks on the 4th line. So best of luck to Rick starting in the A, and hope that you get back in the NHL soon.

patsfan33
10-03-2006, 03:42 PM
http://www.canucks.com/theinsider/default.asp?sectionID=5&id=1650#photo

"Even though we didn't score a lot of goals, I think we're going to go with the guys we have here right now. We've got three lines here that can possibly score." Vigneault lauded Rypien's camp saying he was standout right from the start, but sent him down because of a thumb injury.

"In Rypien's case he would be here and somebody else would be going down. He deserves to be here but his thumb doesn't permit it."

"He's going to go down, play some games and when we get the okay from the doctor that he can be 100% and skate and hit and drop the mitts if it needs be, he'll be right back up here."

pretty much the best thing that can be said right after the kid gets sent down to the A....can't WAIT to watch Ryp in a Nuck uniform again :clap:

the following is a couple pics of Ryp in the Canucks preseason games...enjoy!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/PatsFan21/rypnuck.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/PatsFan21/rypnuck2.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/PatsFan21/rypducks.jpg
^lol...i need a poster of that

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/PatsFan21/mooseboys_edited.jpg

Bran
10-03-2006, 10:49 PM
Those are great picture, I especially like the third one. :)

patsfan33
10-13-2006, 01:37 PM
From moosehockey.com:

Rypien rippin' it up

Learning to harness emotions
By KEN WIEBE -- Winnipeg Sun

True home opener

Supplying energy is rarely a problem for Rick Rypien.

But keeping that energy in check can sometimes be a challenge.

After nearly cracking the Vancouver Canucks roster out of training camp, Rypien was sent down to the American Hockey League to open the season with the Manitoba Moose as his injured thumb heals.

Rypien played in three of four games during last week's road trip and confessed he tried to do a little extra as he returned to game situations for the first time since Sept. 22.

"Definitely, I got into my head that I was going to make up for lost time there," said Rypien, who will be in the lineup tonight as the Moose face the Philadelphia Phantoms in their home opener. "I wanted to do too much. I was running around and I didn't help anyone out there. I've just got to settle down as much as I can."

Rypien missed the AHL season opener against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, but suited up on Friday against the Hamilton Bulldogs.

He was ejected from Saturday's game against the Toronto Marlies for checking Brad Brown from behind, but returned the following night against the Rochester Americans.

Rypien was thrilled to get back in the lineup, since he hadn't played since a pre-season game against the Anaheim Ducks, but he didn't quite look like himself.

"As I go on, I'm going to get better," said Rypien, who had nine goals, 15 points and 122 penalty minutes in 49 games with the Moose last season and had a goal in five games with the parent Canucks. "It's kind of frustrating but injuries happen. It just motivates me to work that much harder right now. Until I'm told otherwise, my focus is here with the Moose and on trying to help them win games."

Moose head coach Scott Arniel spoke with Rypien about harnessing his emotions and expects the second-year centre to return to form this weekend.

"He's a guy that has high energy, he's going to run people over and play in-your-face hockey," said Arniel. "He tried to do too much at times and got away from his game. It always happens, you get sent down and you want to make an impact instantly and sometimes you try to do it yourself. I don't think he used his linemates enough and we talked about that.

"He's the type of player who has good speed, he's good on the forecheck. We can't have him turning pucks over between the blue lines. For him to get pucks in deep and crash people, that's where his success comes from."

dondo
10-13-2006, 04:37 PM
I was looking forward to seeing Rypien up here this season -- at last years camp he impressed me as well and he seemed to have that hunger necessary, and this years camp was no exception.

I like that AV will have a place for him once his thumb heals as I think he adds a lot to any line he finds himself on. Go Ryp!

Bran
10-13-2006, 06:41 PM
Once he's in the right mindset he'll work harder than anyone. He's a guy who can make an impact regardless of the league he's in or the team or line he's on. A hard working, classy guy like that deserves nothing but great things and it'll happen for him.

patsfan33
10-25-2006, 01:46 AM
From moosehockey.com

Cinderella late for the NHL ball
But Rypien still has time before midnight

CHICAGO -- Rick Rypien must be wondering what is happening to his glass slipper.

The clock isn't anywhere near striking midnight for the scrappy Manitoba Moose centre, but his Cinderella story has been stuck in neutral so far.

The latest setback was the proverbial "lower-body" injury he suffered Friday morning during the final drill of the morning skate.

Being the gamer that he is, Rypien took the pre-game warm-up against the Milwaukee Admirals but was not given the green light to dress.

He took two days off the blades, receiving treatment, and yesterday was back on the ice for the first time as the Moose prepared for tonight's game against the Chicago Wolves.

Barring an overnight miracle, Rypien will be watching another game from the stands -- since head coach Scott Arniel said Rypien wasn't close to going at full speed and was simply trying to get a feel for being back on the ice.

Injuries are part of the game, but the timing couldn't be worse for Rypien, who would have opened the season in the NHL with the parent Vancouver Canucks were it not for a thumb injury he sustained in a fight against the Anaheim Ducks during the pre-season.

Rypien was praised by Canucks head coach Alain Vigneualt for being the best of the young players in camp and went on to say the centre would be recalled as soon as he "could be Ryp again" -- which when loosely translated means when he can hit, skate and occasionally drop the gloves.

Earlier this week, in conversation with members of the Vancouver media, Vigneault spoke of the progress Rypien was making and seemed to suggest his recall could be imminent.

An interesting scenario presented itself, since the Canucks happen to be facing the Blackhawks tomorrow night at the United Center and many members of the Vancouver brass plan to watch tonight's Moose game.

Rypien, who has a goal, two points and 23 penalty minutes in five games this season, was going to be one of the players under the microscope. But not now.

It's another small setback for Rypien, who is no stranger to dealing with adversity.

This is the same guy who was not even on an NHL radar screen before Moose general manager Craig Heisinger liked what he saw when Rypien was the captain of a terrible Regina Pats hockey team.

Heisinger signed Rypien to an amateur tryout offer at the conclusion of the Western Hockey League season and before long the Alberta product had scored his first AHL goal and had earned the trust of head coach Randy Carlyle and was taking a regular turn during a remarkable Calder Cup run.

Last season, Rypien built on his success with the Moose and got himself signed to a two-way contract by the Canucks.

Before long, Rypien had scored his first NHL goal before a broken fibula cost him two months of action.

It's only seven games into the season and Rypien is hoping to put the injury woes behind him.

Rypien has said all the right things about keeping his focus on doing whatever he can to help the Moose win and don't expect this latest episode to alter his perspective.

However, you can count on Rypien taking out some of his frustration on an opponent with a punishing body check or two when he returns to the lineup.

His return to the NHL ball depends on it.

patsfan33
11-11-2006, 01:05 AM
still no call-up :confused:

the kid keeps injuring himself...tsk tsk, well Rypien appears to have a sore arm/hand after this bout:

http://www.moosehockey.com/antlervision/vid/intro.php?filename=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mtscentre.ca%2 Fmultimedia%2Fvideo%2F061107_rypien.wmv

GOD I MISS THOSE DAYS!!! thats Ryp for ya

He did appear in the Moose vs Bears game tonight though so his hand can't be that bad....*sigh*...any time now AV, anytime

...love that fight :D :D

dondo
11-11-2006, 02:24 AM
dammit -- come-on Ryp I don't want to watch Santala anymore-- I want to watch you climb the depth chart as soon as you get up to the big club -- heal quickly

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
11-11-2006, 12:42 PM
still no call-up :confused:

the kid keeps injuring himself...tsk tsk, well Rypien appears to have a sore arm/hand after this bout:

http://www.moosehockey.com/antlervision/vid/intro.php?filename=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mtscentre.ca%2 Fmultimedia%2Fvideo%2F061107_rypien.wmv

GOD I MISS THOSE DAYS!!! thats Ryp for ya

He did appear in the Moose vs Bears game tonight though so his hand can't be that bad....*sigh*...any time now AV, anytime

...love that fight :D :D

great clip... that brought back some memories. We all miss those days. Its good to see him still kicking ass in the AHL, hopefully soon, the NHL.

He will eventually see some NHL time, but right now, its probably best he stays in the A. He is really benefitting from the experience he is getting, and its helping his offensive game, but once there is a spot open to move up into the canucks lineup, I will bet Rick will be the one to fill it.

If there are anymore clips like that, feel free to post them.

Tidball
11-11-2006, 01:17 PM
great clip... that brought back some memories. We all miss those days. Its good to see him still kicking ass in the AHL, hopefully soon, the NHL.

He will eventually see some NHL time, but right now, its probably best he stays in the A. He is really benefitting from the experience he is getting, and its helping his offensive game, but once there is a spot open to move up into the canucks lineup, I will bet Rick will be the one to fill it.

If there are anymore clips like that, feel free to post them.

That announcer sounded quite biased. But when "brook?" landed a few shots he said "they are off balance a bit. Homer annoucing but good fight and good work Rypien. I miss the Rypien VS Shultz(Tanner) days

patsfan33
11-13-2006, 03:11 PM
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/AHL/2006/11/13/2338970-sun.html
Chatting with ... Rick Rypien

WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE MOVIE? I'm probably going to have to go with Gladiator, I don't know why. No reasons, but I've probably watched it 30 times and I haven't gotten sick of it.

FIRST JOB? Working at a golf course on the maintenance crew at Crow's Nest Pass (Alta.) Golf & Country Club. I worked there every summer for about nine or 10 years.

FIRST CAR? The first car I had was a Hyundai Scoupe. My dad bought it when I was 15 or 16. I had it for a couple years and actually sold it for more than he paid for it.

WHAT IS YOUR DREAM VEHICLE? I've got a truck at home now, a short box Ford F-150, and I've put a lot of work into it. It's got a bigger lift on it and it sits pretty high. Every summer I try to put money into it and fix it up. It's a good mountain vehicle for me, good to putt around in. Guys make fun of me a lot because of how big it is but right now it's good enough for my dream vehicle. You have to see it to know what I'm talking about, but it's nice though.

FIRST CONCERT YOU ATTENDED? Garth Brooks in Calgary. I was pretty young but it was a good show.

IS HE ONE OF YOUR FAVOURITE ARTISTS? For country, for sure.

SO WHO IS YOUR FAVOURITE BAND? Metallica and Godsmack are probably up there right now.

FAVOURITE FOOD? I'd have to go with steak and shrimp.

IF YOU WEREN'T A PRO HOCKEY PLAYER, WHAT WOULD YOU BE DOING? I have no idea really. Maybe try golfing or get into boxing or maybe go back to university. I took a few classes (at the University of Regina when he played for the Regina Pats of the Western Hockey League) and get a degree in business or something like that.

nhl3

Bran
11-13-2006, 09:39 PM
Thanks!

nhl Hah. Is that new? I like it!

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
12-01-2006, 03:52 PM
Rypien got recalled to the Canucks today! pbj

http://www.canucks.com/pressreleases.asp?sectionID=31&id=657

patsfan33
12-01-2006, 10:31 PM
Definately watchin HNIC tomorrow!

dondo
12-02-2006, 02:05 AM
Rypien got recalled to the Canucks today! pbj

http://www.canucks.com/pressreleases.asp?sectionID=31&id=657
yeehoo

YEE HAA!!!

sit Santala sit.. you too Chouinard

looking forward to seeing Ryp punk rock -- ryp it up --

and Bouck too -- nice -- hopefully they can add some energy and maybe change the team's puck karma a bit.

Dwight Schrute
12-03-2006, 11:04 AM
ripper played very well in the icetime he got 7:27 in ice time over 2 min on the pk, and fought ian lapperierre less then 2 min into the game
and provided spark and much needed energy

Bran
12-03-2006, 11:16 AM
Good to see our boy doing so well for himself! If you give this kid the chance, he's going to shine. Way to go, bud!

Dwight Schrute
12-03-2006, 07:54 PM
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=3989
canucks writer article on rypien

patsfan33
12-04-2006, 07:39 PM
found these...thought i'd share :thumb:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/PatsFan21/111.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/PatsFan21/rickfyght.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/PatsFan21/11rick.jpg

...gotta love this kid

Bran
12-04-2006, 11:35 PM
Haha, what a trooper! Love that kid.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
12-05-2006, 12:18 AM
Rypien got hurt in the last canucks game against edmonton. If its another injury, its coming at the worst time again.

They didnt specify how he got injured, but all I know is that he didnt return after the 1st.

He will be re-evaluated tommorrow...err today. Lets hope its nothing.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
12-05-2006, 06:35 PM
Well the news is in.

Rypien now has a partial tear to his groin after last nights game (1st period). He is out for 6-8 weeks.

:dead:

He just cant catch a break, can he? Last time he broke his leg and was out for over 6 weeks just to return to the moose. Now after all that work, he has to sit on the shelf for 8 WEEKS, and maybe later return back to the moose.

Lets hope he heals quickly and returns back to the canucks lineup as soon as he is ready.

patsfan33
12-05-2006, 08:59 PM
the only good thing about all these injuries is that they happen when he;s in the show... meaning he gets paid big bucks

...but I'm still sad...dammit the moment i wait for that kid to get called up again and he gets injured :(

nivek_wahs
01-30-2007, 05:40 AM
http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/sports/story.html?id=4c1d46ff-e2ff-4830-80c4-3ab7e17ff175

Rypien won't be changing his wild ways

The Province
Published: Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Another Canuck itching to return is fourth-liner Rick Rypien. He's missed all but two games this season between breaking a thumb and ripping his groin. With a possible return in 10 to 14 days, Rypien was a surprise participant in Monday's optional skate. At 5-foot-11, 170 pounds, he plays a hell-bent game that invites injuries, but don't expect him to change. "That's what got me here so I'm going to continue doing that, plus hopefully develop in other areas," he said. "[Injuries] definitely aren't going to change the way I play. I've always played this way. I've had a bad run of injuries of late, but hopefully that's it for a while."

© The Vancouver Province 2007

Fight Guy
01-30-2007, 11:19 AM
http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/sports/story.html?id=4c1d46ff-e2ff-4830-80c4-3ab7e17ff175
And it is THAT reason he is in the NHL! :thumb:

patsfan33
01-30-2007, 11:45 PM
http://www.canucks.com/view_archive.asp?sectionID=5&id=1854

^Nucks website did a little summary on him...decently lengthy with some pics to go along...good read

Ryp coming back sooner than expected would make my year right about now :thumb:

nivek_wahs
02-05-2007, 05:41 AM
http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/sports/story.html?id=db789292-e095-4ef5-971e-08929986db89

Feisty Rypien almost ready to return
Super Bowl memories have centre upbeat on journey back from injury

Ben Kuzma, The Province
Published: Monday, February 05, 2007

CALGARY -- Rick Rypien remembers the deafening din in the Metrodome and the blur of bashing bodies. But what he remembered most as a wide-eyed eight-year-old was the sheer will of his cousin.

Mark Rypien directed the Washington Redskins to a 37-24 Super Bowl win over the Buffalo Bills at Minneapolis in 1992. The quarterback threw for two touchdowns and had nearly 300 yards in passing to earn MVP honours.

"He took the whole family down and there were about 50 of us and all I can really remember is the noise," recalled the Vancouver Canucks centre.

"We went down to the field after and saw him. So that was pretty special."

Fifteen years later, that experience has had a lasting effect on Rypien. He visits the Super Bowl hero for two weeks every summer in Spokane, Wash., for family golfing and fishing excursions and it's obvious some of that professional football grit has rubbed off on the centre.

Not only has the feisty Rypien beat long odds to play in the bigs -- the late bloomer wasn't drafted at the WHL and NHL levels -- the Coleman, Alta., native will return within a week from a groin tear to wreak havoc on the opposition.

They should tighten their chin straps.

Rypien cites hard-hitting Chicago Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher as one of his favourites, which isn't surprising. At 5-foot-11 and 180 pounds, Rypien is built more like a field-goal kicker, but the 22-year-old lays out licks like a linebacker and throws rapid punches like a pugilist.

"My dad and brother are pretty quiet guys, but if you get them fired up at the right time they get going, so maybe I picked it up from them," said Rypien.

In just nine NHL regular-season games, Rypien has drawn plaudits for tenacity and toughness. He's had three bouts at the NHL level -- his latest being a decision over Colorado's Ian Laperriere on Dec. 2 -- and 17 in the AHL, and nobody can remember him losing one.

"He doesn't look that tough and guys take him for granted, but once he starts throwing punches they find out he's the real thing," said Canucks winger Alexandre Burrows. "But it's not only that. He really gets in on the forecheck and is a big energy guy for us."

This all started when the Manitoba Moose saw something in Rypien and signed the Regina Pats grad to a tryout deal before the 2004-05 playoffs. The Canucks were so impressed they came calling with a three-year deal the following November.

"I didn't want to quit playing and I felt I could get better every year," said Rypien.

"I still haven't peaked out and that's driving me because it's going to be interesting to see how far I come along a few years from now."

Last season, Rypien broke his leg in a Dec. 31, 2005, game at Minnesota. This season, Rypien was the best player at prospects camp and pencilled in for a roster spot.

However, he broke a thumb in a preseason bout with Geoff Peters of Anaheim. Once recalled, the centre was sidelined in just his second game when he tore his groin in a sideboards collision against Edmonton on Dec. 4.

Rypien has missed 25 games and vows not to change a hard-charging style that has impressed coach Alain Vigneault.

"When I came to camp I was kind of determined and felt I could play," said Rypien. "But then you get some injuries, get bumped back and obviously your confidence goes down.

"Right now, my conditioning is all right. It's just strengthening the groin area, and for the most part I've been pain free. I notice a little pain after skating, but that could be going on all year for what I know. The worst part is over."

Except for the opposition.

benkuzma@hotmail.com

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
03-06-2007, 05:11 PM
Rick is finally healed after another injury, and is back with the canucks. He should be playing tonight against tampa.

The game is on tv tonight at 9 on sportsnet(pacific?) if you are interested. This might be your last chance to watch rick play in the big leagues for awhile, because chances are he is going to get injured again in a game or 2 and have the whole routine go over again. :laugh:

Fight Guy
03-06-2007, 05:36 PM
As funny as that isn't, it's hilariously true. Catch him while you can.

I really hope he can stay healthy for awhile here. Glad he's finally back.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
03-06-2007, 06:05 PM
I wouldnt mind watching him drop the gloves one more time. He doesnt go out asking for fights, but with his rough style of play, he usually ends up in one, and so far, he always seems to finish them. I dont remember him ever losing.

I remember around 3 years ago when he chased around former warrior Lane manson, who has 6'8 230 or something like that. manson wouldnt fight little rypien , who was like a foot smaller than him! Rypien was ready to go after a cheapshot from manson and then manson just ran off.

too bad rypien wasnt around early enough to take out tootoo, now that alone would be worth paying for season tickets!

nivek_wahs
04-02-2007, 03:12 AM
http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/sports/story.html?id=45493609-730a-4774-bbad-f8e0e5e52633&k=20565

Rypien, with slow-to-heal groin, could miss the postseason
Salo, Ohlund should rejoin team this week

Ben Kuzma, The Province
Published: Monday, April 02, 2007

Rick Rypien's season may be over.

The feisty Canucks centre has been slow to recover from a Dec. 4 groin tear and coach Alain Vigneault sounded like he'll have one less fourth-line option when playoffs open.

"It was supposed to be a 12-week injury that has turned out to be 16 and he might not even come back," said Vigneault. "We're keeping him off skates three or four days because he's sore.

"Sooner or later, he either plays a game or we're going to have to go in there [surgically] and see what's going on."

Rypien, 22, was injured in a sideboards collision against Edmonton and reaggravated the injury in early February with the Manitoba Moose. A pleasant training-camp surprise, Rypien was pencilled in for a roster spot before breaking a thumb in a preseason bout with Geoff Peters of Anaheim.

Once recalled, Rypien ripped the groin in just his second game this season, two days after he scored a decision in a bout with Ian Laperriere of Colorado.

"It [groin] is not where it needs to be," he said. "Some days are good and some are bad and I'm not where I need to be at to play. It just keeps getting more frustrating."

Last season, Rypien broke his leg in a Dec. 31, 2005, game at Minnesota.

nivek_wahs
10-02-2007, 09:48 AM
http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/sports/story.html?id=56ff0157-34a3-4225-ad7d-0dec0325e0b1

Odd-man-out Rypien shouldn't have trouble finding way back here

Jim Jamieson, The Province
Published: Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Rick Rypien impressed in his only two preseason games, but evidently didn't do enough to stick.

On Friday in Calgary, Rypien pounded Flames winger Warren Peters and on Saturday his questionable hit on the end boards sent Oiler D Mathieu Roy off the ice on a stretcher. The result was a five-minute major for charging and a game misconduct.

Rypien missed the early part of camp with groin problems -- the same issues that pretty much made last season a write-off for the small but very physical centre. But you can bet he'll be the first call if the Canucks run into injury problems at forward.

"Ryp only had two games in training camp," said coach Alain Vigneault. "When we picture our team we picture that type of player. He's got speed, grit, doesn't mind using it and fighting, but in this case, having not played much for two years, not having had a real training camp, we thought he needs to play in the AHL right now. If he goes there and shows what he did in the two games he did play, he'll be back with us."

nivek_wahs
03-18-2008, 10:59 AM
Rypien's latest dust up.... March 17, 2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyDeCSnx9Cw

nivek_wahs
03-18-2008, 11:03 AM
Found another one.... this is gold! Rypien vs. Ole-Kristian Tollefsen from Feb. 29

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1rcKYLOl7s

CJSenterprise4
03-18-2008, 12:28 PM
He isn't that good...I wasn't a Pats fan back when he was playing...truth be told i was cheering for fellow Yellow Grass resident Peter Schaefer and the Brandon Wheat Kings. The NHL should really cut out 3-4 teams because there are so many players that are not NHL caliber I think. Like half of my Islanders...not very good.

nivek_wahs
03-18-2008, 12:36 PM
He isn't that good...I'm not sure what you mean exactly with that... He's playing in the show. Aren't checkers and grinders part of the game too?

dodywood4ever
03-18-2008, 02:41 PM
Rypien has to be mentioned as one of the toughest P4P players in the NHL right now. Carcillo was a great match-up. Love to see him go Asham or Tootoo.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
03-18-2008, 03:01 PM
Both are very good fights, especially the Carcillo one. That one was closer, and Rypien still won while giving up 20 pounds. Rypien alone is worth the price of admission when he fights. He is still my all-time favorite pat, and he doesnt need to have his number retired to be recognized as one of the best kids to wear a pats uniform.

He also fought the 6'4 225lb Mike Commodore awhile ago as well, and that was pretty close too. Probably a draw, but the fact that Rick is half the guys size shows that he definitely has guts. Yet again, Vancouver fans are spoiled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mocF6iBOOio&eurl=http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/37141

The only time I saw him lose a fight was against Doug Murray in the VAN @SJ game. it wasnt long, but Rick got his head under his jersey right away and got pounded. Im still waiting for a rematch, because anyone who watched Rick before knows that the fight would not go the same way the second time.

He isn't that good...I wasn't a Pats fan back when he was playing...truth be told i was cheering for fellow Yellow Grass resident Peter Schaefer and the Brandon Wheat Kings. The NHL should really cut out 3-4 teams because there are so many players that are not NHL caliber I think. Like half of my Islanders...not very good.

Now Rypper just needs to go kick Tootoos ass! Theres one guy who's ass kicking is loooong over due. That would make my day, no my life, if I got to see Tootoo and Rypien fight.

nivek_wahs
03-20-2008, 07:06 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=4cf22872-8239-4b44-80a3-09cf156a4711

Canucks beef up lineup with Rypien

Ben Kuzma, Canwest News Service
Published: Thursday, March 20, 2008

VANCOUVER -- Rick Rypien was in the minors and Nathan McIver a spectator the last time the Vancouver Canucks and Edmonton Oilers met in a memorable melee.

The Bruise Brothers won't be bystanders tonight in the Alberta capital. Rexall Place could be turned into Wreck-All Place if punch-ups play a part in another push toward the playoffs.

On Feb. 16 at GM Place, the Oilers tried in vain to run the Canucks out of the rink in a 4-2 loss to the defending Northwest Division champions. The bitter rivals combined for 193 penalty minutes and engaged in seven bouts -- five of them in the final minute -- and the image of Matt Greene throwing punches at an unsuspecting Trevor Linden was not lost on the Canucks braintrust.

Enter Rypien and McIver.

Their inclusion in the lineup is a clear message that when push comes to shove, the Canucks are committed to setting the right physical tone tonight. Rypien, a former Regina Pat, proved that Monday when he scored a decision over Phoenix enforcer Daniel Carcillo to ensure the Coyotes wouldn't gain momentum during a 3-1 Canucks win.

"I knew it was coming," said Vigneault. "I know Ryp. He understands what is expected of him and if Carcillo didn't want to go with Ryp, he had McIver in the back calling him out.

"That's just the way those guys play. They play hard and are there for their teammates all the time."

How many games Rypien, 23, and McIver, 23, play will depend on performance and the matchup. Then again, Calgary, Edmonton, Colorado and Minnesota can all ice noted scrappers.

For Rypien, his bout Monday was just part of his agitating, in-your-face game that he hopes to bolster with more effective forechecking and fewer dumb penalties. The Carcillo confrontation was a good example of being willing and wise.

"I kind of looked at him to get that one going," recalled Rypien, who has had five bouts in the NHL and six in the AHL this season. "We both knew it was coming and he accepted the challenge and that's part of the game."

The Oilers remember Rypien. He had a goal and an assist in a 5-2 win at Edmonton on Oct. 13 and challenged Sheldon Souray to a late-game fight. The Oilers defenceman declined.

In a pre-season game at Edmonton, Rypien received a five-minute major for charging and a game misconduct for running defenceman Mathieu Roy into the end boards. Roy was knocked unconscious and was carried off the ice on a stretcher. He suffered a mild concussion and a back injury.

Rypien never left his feet on the hit and wasn't suspended.

"Pound for pound, he's probably the toughest guy in the AHL," said McIver. "He's not very big, but he can throw them with anyone. He's great on the forecheck, throws big hits and if the team needs a boost, he's always there to bring something."

McIver knows his skill level doesn't match that of Luc Bourdon, but his skating has improved dramatically the past two seasons because of an off-season devotion to power skating. McIver fought four times in the pre-season and also proved he could adjust to the quicker NHL game.

Vancouver Province

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2008

Dwight Schrute
03-20-2008, 11:09 PM
ryp has been nothing but balls to the wall awesome energy for the canucks. wish we could see him play a full 82 games (injury free). the canucks coach really seems to like him also