PDA

View Full Version : Warriors trade Simpson

Warrior Fan
09-12-2006, 11:13 AM
Warriors Trade 20-Year-Old Defenceman

Moose Jaw, SK – The Moose Jaw Warriors completed a Western Hockey League trade, dealing 20 year-old defenceman Cole Simpson to the Prince Albert Raiders in exchange for the Raiders 5th round pick in the 2007 WHL Bantam Draft.
Simpson, from Tisdale, Saskatchewan, has played the past three seasons with the Seattle Thunderbirds and the Warriors. He was acquired by Moose Jaw during the 2004-05 season and has appeared in 183 regular season and 32 playoff games in his career and was part of the Warrior team that captured the WHL Eastern Conference championship in 05-06.
“We are very excited to acquire an experienced veteran WHL defenseman,” commented Donn Clark, Raiders General Manager. “We like our young defenseman and acquiring Cole will give them some leadership. He was a big part of a winning organization last year.”
Simpson is expected to join the Raiders in time for practice tomorrow. His sister, Jill, is playing for the new Midget AAA girls team in Prince Albert starting this fall.

Well the Warriors have made a move to keep some youth on the backend this season.

Hatguy
09-12-2006, 11:37 AM
Gotta give it to you on that one. You were right about trading an overage d man. It wasn't Zetariuk though as I knew it wouldn't be. What do you think this means? Maybe another overage forward will be brought in? or will we just play with 2 20 year olds? or maybe Jones or Boyd? Hmm. what do you think?

skinnyhead
09-12-2006, 11:40 AM
Maybe we'll bring in a 20 year old goalie to back up Joey we seem to do that alot.... or maybe they heard something about Jones Or Boyd...

Warrior Fan
09-12-2006, 12:44 PM
our top line center position. I think we are extremely deep everywhere else. We good young centers and we have good young wingers to compliment a solid returning and young D corps as well. I think we are in good shape between the pipes.

I can see us gettng a high end center though.

Warrior Fan
09-12-2006, 02:16 PM
I can't see us actually getting Jones back. I think Boyd will be back for sure and will fill that top line center role nicely.

SeventhHeaven4U
09-12-2006, 04:09 PM
I can't see us actually getting Jones back. I think Boyd will be back for sure and will fill that top line center role nicely.

The Flames sent some players back to the juniors today, but Boyd was not one of them. I honestly don't believe Dustin will be back in the Jaw this year. He is better suited to play in Omaha than return to the dub.

Good Luck Dustin!! We're cheerin for ya no matter where you are!!

Triton
09-12-2006, 04:26 PM
Highly doubt Boyd is coming back so keep wishin.

Hatguy
09-12-2006, 06:04 PM
It's something to think about at least. I doubt the return of Boyd or Jones for that matter. If Lang has decided to carry 2 overagers i'll be pissed! All the Warrior fans remember what happened the last time we had two and not three. I'm not saying having two overagers in 04-05 was the cause of all the loses, but it played a role in it.

Dwight Schrute
09-12-2006, 08:12 PM
Maybe we'll bring in a 20 year old goalie to back up Joey we seem to do that alot.... or maybe they heard something about Jones Or Boyd...
try andrew leslie i hear he is available

Dwight Schrute
09-12-2006, 08:14 PM
i doubt boyd will be back as calgary finally has their own farm again and has been trying to stock it. by signing guys like steve marr and ritchie regehr etc... any decent prospect of calgary is likely going to go there if they are eligible

Warrior Fan
09-13-2006, 11:03 AM
I guess they chated about the trade a bit and what they think of Boyd and Jones returning.
Thanks

Hatguy
09-13-2006, 11:19 AM
Yeah, I just picked the paper up, I'll put some of the article on soon.

Hatguy
09-13-2006, 11:41 AM
From the Times Herald:
The Warriors thinned out their overcrowded defence while complicating their 20-year-old situation Tuesday.

The Warriors traded defenceman Cole Simpson to the Prince Albert Raiders for a 2007 5th round pick. This move leaves the Warriors with nine defencemen in camp and frees up a 20-year-old spot on the roster.

"The thought process was a combination of two things," said Warriors general manager Chad Lang. "We had to get our numbers down on the back end. We had 10 guys and the young guys have shown that they can play in the league and we need to get them playing time.

"Secondly Cole has contributed a lot to our hockey club over the last two years and we looked around the league at other team's 20-year-old situations and we wanted to make sure he was going to somewhere where they could use him. We felt P.A. was a perfect fit for him."

The Warriors now have two 20-year-olds on their roster. Defenceman Jesse Zetariuk is in camp and right winger Steven Gillen was atending camp with Dallas, but is expected back today. Blair Jones and Dustin Boyd have signed with NHL teams and are not expected to return.

Lang said that the Warriors are looking to fill their newly available spot, but aren't going to rush anything, especially with many teams still evaluating 20-year-old situations as NHL camps continue.

"At the end of the day this enables us make a move quickly without having to make a move to free up space." Lang said while noting that he expects to make a move to add another overage player.

He also said in the article that the Warriors will start the year with 8 defencemen, but there are decisions to be made. They want to see how the young and old guys fair.

Gillen and Perricone are expected back today.

That's the jist of the article,.. I left out some parts, but they weren't important.

Warrior Fan
09-13-2006, 12:47 PM
If you can post articles like that for me that would be great. I live just out of the deliver zone for the TH. I can't get it to my yard.

thanks again.

Hatguy
09-13-2006, 06:10 PM
I'll post important articles, I usually just pick it up if something important happens. I'd never get the Times Herald monthly, it's crap. lol
I guess I should say daily not monthly.

MooseJaw_Kyle
09-13-2006, 08:46 PM
Does The Simpson trade now open up a spot for a 20-yr old centre? A guy that could play on the second line.

CrazyGeorge
09-14-2006, 03:16 PM
Me being a fan of the Broncos, we have three pretty solid goalies in Moir, Yonkman, and 16 year old Curtis. If you guys are needing another 20 year old and perhaps a veteran goalie, perhaps Moir could be coming to the Jaw...what's your thoughts on that?

Hatguy
09-14-2006, 06:44 PM
Me being a fan of the Broncos, we have three pretty solid goalies in Moir, Yonkman, and 16 year old Curtis. If you guys are needing another 20 year old and perhaps a veteran goalie, perhaps Moir could be coming to the Jaw...what's your thoughts on that?

Can't see that ever happening unless Perricone blows it bad this season. We will pick up a forward by all sounds of it.

Warrior Fan
09-14-2006, 09:48 PM
We have Perricone Jebson Karambelas Willow Mathews and the Alaskan kid that is suppose to be very good as well