PDA

View Full Version : Toronto Blue Jays

GOBLADESGO#3 (among other aliases)
09-12-2006, 07:07 PM
anything about the Jays bring it in

Blades 4 Life!
09-15-2006, 12:21 AM
All you can really say about the jays is that they had a really disappointing year after signing all those big names but there is always next year!

Blades 4 Life!
09-19-2006, 11:35 AM
on http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/ some Jays fans were talking about that the Jays should trade BJ Ryan to the Rangers for Young and a prospect. I think that would be one off JP Rechardie(I Have no clue how to spell his name) worst move. BJ Ryan is one of the best closers in the MLB. Young is a good player but with the extra money that the Jays will be recieving, I think the jays could resign Wells if he comes back and even sign a good short stop, not as good as young but still good. JP will have to look for a short stop in the offseason.

Triton
09-19-2006, 12:12 PM
Ryan isn't going anywhere.If the pitching had been healthy all year Jays fans might be talking about the playoffs rather than next year.Doesn't help with all the crap going on with Hillenbrand and Lilly and the calling out of the 3-4-5 hitters by their own GM.

Ted Rogers has given Riccardi the nod that there will be more money to be used to sign players and such,cause frankly 70M is nothing and won't get you a championship team if your wanting to compete with the Sox and Yankees.

I think Gibbons needs to go.Not sure he's the right fit for the team if he's the root of the problem half the time.

Jays should be able to keep Wells and if they don't,they really don't have a desire to win baseball games.If they let Wells walk..they better replace him with a Andrew Jones.He's the best center fielder in the game..and can hit.

Blades 4 Life!
09-19-2006, 12:17 PM
ya i think Gibbons needs to go. he caused to much problems. it will be nice for the jays to get more money

Toswammi
09-19-2006, 12:23 PM
The reasoning behind trading for Young is that he is Wells best friend. So the ppl on that site are merly looking at a way at bringing him in. And even though BJ is amazing, i would consider that trade (assuming the Jays can work something out with the Brewers afterwards to get one of there two closers)

09-19-2006, 11:21 PM
well to imagine wells playign even better with Young around is unimaginable but well Richardie is an idiot and is making very strange desitions but Gibbons needs to go i agree with that, i mean if your manager is fighting with his players what kind of manager is that, id liek to see Gibbons go after Glaus, or Brian Tallet, see how he would be going after Glaus :dead: dead!!!!!

MooseJaw_Kyle
10-03-2006, 08:19 PM
JP says he wants to add a big bat or two small bats.

Blades 4 Life!
10-05-2006, 11:02 PM
I think they need 2 semi big bats, It would be nice to get 2 players like Overbay but i dont think that will have but anything can happen

10-09-2006, 01:37 PM
they need god ptiching, they showed last year that they can hit, but they also showed they cant pitch

Hatguy
10-09-2006, 05:36 PM
The Blue Jays need starting pitching and a short stop. I say we re-sign Lilly to be our 4th starter and go out and get a guy like Gil Meche to fit into the 3rd spot in the rotation. I read today that Lugo would be interested in coming to Toronto, JP just needs to talk to him. That solves the pitching and the SS problem. After that they should work on signing Wells to an extension and maybe adding another bat like Cat was. I think Lind would be a good DH next season though. The Jays need to get a catcher too.

10-09-2006, 06:06 PM
they need more than one pitchin my mind

Blades 4 Life!
10-10-2006, 01:51 PM
I think the Jays need a more consistance pitching and bullpen and a shortshop. the starters for the Jays are really good when they play good but the bullpen needs some work exept BJ but the starters need to stay healty!!!!

old_time_hockey
10-10-2006, 03:23 PM
The Blue Jays need starting pitching and a short stop. I say we re-sign Lilly to be our 4th starter and go out and get a guy like Gil Meche to fit into the 3rd spot in the rotation. I read today that Lugo would be interested in coming to Toronto, JP just needs to talk to him. That solves the pitching and the SS problem. After that they should work on signing Wells to an extension and maybe adding another bat like Cat was. I think Lind would be a good DH next season though. The Jays need to get a catcher too.

They should have cloned Pat Borders and Kelly Gruber when they had the chance!!!!

nivek_wahs
11-15-2006, 09:05 PM
Jays sign "The Big Hurt" Frank Thomas

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/article.jsp?content=20061115_212220_2784

Big splash: Jays sign Thomas

Sportsnet's Baseball Insider Ken Rosenthal has learned that the Toronto Blue Jays have signed free-agent DH Frank Thomas to a two-year contract. Terms were not revealed.

The 38-year-old Thomas batted .270 with 39 homers and 114 RBI last season for the Oakland Athletics.

This past season for the Oakland A's he played for a base salary of $500,000 plus $2.6 million in incentives, after coming back from an ankle injury.

11-16-2006, 12:23 AM
Wow this is awsome. I just looked on baseball-fever.com. But he is soooo old, do you really think he has even ONE good year left in him for the Jays? but very nice though, we've got out DH 1 position down, 2 to go and they are of course shortstop and catcher. ChrisLDuncen I hope thats not whats going to happen. Here is what I hope is the lineup for next season (so far)

1.Reed Johnson(LF)
2.Alex Rios(RF)
3.Vernon Wells(CF)
4.Troy Glaus(3B)
5.Frank Thomas(DH)
6.Lyle Overbay(1B)
7.Julio Lugo(SS)
8.Gregg Zaun(C)
9.Aaron Hill(2B)

I think Hills batting order will be in the range opf 6-9, Thomas and Glaus will battle for the cleanup spot, Lugo and Zaun will battle for 7, Wells, Johnson, Overbay, and Rios should be comfertible where they are. But does this move hurt Adam Lind's chances of being a full time DH for the Jays next year because we already have 3 veeeeery good defenders in the outfield. But he would be a nice backup outfielder if the Jays can sign one more outfielder and a good shortstop and of course a pitcher.

Blades 4 Life!
11-19-2006, 04:54 PM
That would be a playoff contending line up for sure. Only if the team can stay healthy this coming up year. I believe that line up is better then the Red Sox and the Yankees. Lets hope thats the case next year.

Tiger Trauma
11-19-2006, 05:06 PM
I still think they need a couple starters. I'm not as knowledgable in baseball, but it seems to me lilly is a little too inconsistent.

I like chacin when he throws well, and halladay is the man. They have an excellent closer. Hopefully Burnett can show off that potential he has and stays healthy.

Whatever happened to josh towers? he made some good money pitching in triple AAA.

Blades 4 Life!
11-19-2006, 05:30 PM
Lilly is very inconsistant. It seems like he plays very well against the Red sox.... but i don't know why. The thing I LIKE about Lilly is his curveball, that is one sweet pitch!

11-19-2006, 05:50 PM
Well I liked Lilly, the reason he lost all those games is because his team was crap. Don;t you remember that game against Detroit when he struck out 10+ batters, allowed 2 hits and still lost! Well Lugo is out of the question and really we're runing out of options on starting pitchers, catchers and shortstops. How about you join www.baseball-fever.com and we'll discuss the Jays there and we will talk about HOCKEY here.

Tiger Trauma
11-20-2006, 01:47 AM
How about you join www.baseball-fever.com and we'll discuss the Jays there and we will talk about HOCKEY here.

nah, dont feel like joining another site!

Anyways, the jays lost 2 players to free agency

Outfielder Frank Catalanotto agreed to a three-year, $13-million US deal Sunday to return to the Texas Rangers.

Relief pitcher Justin Speier came to terms on a four-year, $18-million US deal with the Los Angeles Angels

nivek_wahs
11-20-2006, 02:31 AM
Anyways, the jays lost 2 players to free agency

Outfielder Frank Catalanotto agreed to a three-year, $13-million US deal Sunday to return to the Texas Rangers.

Relief pitcher Justin Speier came to terms on a four-year, $18-million US deal with the Los Angeles AngelsBoth pretty big losses for the Jays. Catalanotto can play in the outfield and DH and Speier has a great arm coming out of the bullpen to set up Ryan. But those guys went for some pretty big bucks.

Hopefully J.P. knows what he's doing... Thomas at $9 mill a year... Hopefully the "Big Hurt" doesn't get a big hurt.

Tiger Trauma
11-25-2006, 03:42 AM
I think i remember seeing on sportsnet frank thomas, was 4th on the mvp list in voting.

According to a report in the Globe and Mail, the Toronto Blue Jays are on the verge of signing free agent catcher Rod Barajas.

Citing multiple sources, the Globe and Mail says the Blue Jays and Barajas could have a two-year deal worth approximately US$6 million completed by Tuesday.

Although he would not confirm the specifics in the report, Blue Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi did tell the Globe and Mail that the team made an offer to Barajas.

Barajas, 31, batted .256 with 11 home runs and 41 RBIs in just 344 at-bats with the Texas Rangers last season. In 2005, he slugged 21 homers.

Toronto needs a catcher, since incumbents Gregg Zaun and Bengie Molina are also free agents. Zaun reportedly turned down a two-year deal from the Blue Jays that would have paid him US$6 million.

-From tsn.ca website

11-25-2006, 11:48 AM
Here's the whole story from bluejays.com; personally I think this is a bad move if it happens because he's not really a good catcher and Zaun really is and it seems nobody's taken a look at Zaun yet but whatever.

The Blue Jays are reportedly closing in on a two-year deal with free-agent catcher Rod Barajas. According to the Toronto Globe and Mail, the contract could be worth between $5.5 million and $6 million, and the deal could be announced as early as Tuesday.
Also on Tuesday, the Blue Jays will hold a press conference at the Rogers Centre in Toronto to officially introduce Frank Thomas as their new designated hitter. On Nov. 17, Toronto inked Thomas to a two-year contract worth $18 million with a vesting option for 2009.

Last year, Gregg Zaun and Bengie Molina shared the catching duties for the Jays and both became free agents this offseason. Toronto has shown interest in re-signing Zaun, but he reportedly turned down a two-year, $6 million deal to come back for a fourth season with the Jays. Toronto has targeted Barajas as another potential solution.

"We've talked to Barajas' people," Toronto general manager J.P. Ricciardi said on Nov. 17. "We're trying right now to solidify our catching situation. I'd like to have that done before we get to the Winter Meetings [on Dec. 4]. We probably have a self-imposed deadline on that."

Barajas, 31, hit .256 with 11 home runs and 41 RBIs in 97 games for Texas last season. In 2005, he set career highs with 21 homers and 60 RBIs in 120 games for the Rangers.