PDA

View Full Version : It's Official

grumphy
02-16-2005, 01:12 PM
The NHL has bit the dust for this year, surprise, surprise. Now the question turns to how many seasons will it go.
No draft, no development monies for CHL teams-------how long before all the chain is in trouble. Advancement to the semi pro leagues will definatly be hampered, overseas options dead and so on and so on.
Whats everyone else's opinion, lets not get off on assessing blame, as I feel there is more than enough of that to go around to both sides and it would be a total waste of band width.

Scout
02-16-2005, 01:38 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if there is no season next year either. The good news is the Dub will keep some of their star players longer. With a glut in the minor pro's where would they go? Number 2: Attendance in the Dub will stay up with no other hockey. The bad news is no draft money for the W.H.L.teams. Heck we never got paid for last years draft.

One hockey analyst mentioned that they should take a vote amongst the players and see if they really want to stay out or if it is just a battle of power between Bettman and Goodenough.

My question is does the C.H.L. change their bylaws. Should they increase the 20 year-olds. There was talk about that last year and leave the 16 year-olds in midget to develop. They had mentioned increasing the 20's to 5. Will they drop the Euro draft? What happens to the overages that can't move up because of the glut of players in minor pro? The C.H.L. also mentioned increasing the overage to 21.

Looking for input here

Scout

tazndevil
02-16-2005, 02:20 PM
I heard a rumor at the beginning of this year the the CHL was planning to up the ## of 20 yr olds on each team to 5. This was at the start of THIS year-- before anyone knew how long and ugly this lockout is/was going to be.

Know that we don't have NHL for this year (and probably next year), I can only guess what's going to happen.

My suggestion is to raise the minimum age for being drafted to 19.

And to SHORT TERM ONLY raise the ## of 20's on every team to 5.

Perhaps we can allow each team to carry 1 or 2 21 yr old.

At least this way, our guys will have some place to play, and aren't sitting at home waiting for a contract offer from anyone.

Just my thoughts

Taz

grumphy
02-16-2005, 02:44 PM
I think raising the minimum draft to 19 would be a great deal for all sides the players, alowing them more time to develop, the fan in that we would get to see the great players for a longer time & the pro's, ( I won't say NHL because right now i feel they can go to hell), in that they would be able to evaluate a draft choice 2 more years, to see some of the late blommers surface. I think it would be a great move. I'm not sure I would agree with the 2 twenty one year olds.

RunTheGoalie
02-16-2005, 06:12 PM
If Hockey Canada wants to be reactionary, they can follow their suggestion of changing the junior age to 17-20 with a couple of 16 year olds allowed, while leaving most 16's and all 15's in midget.

But, that doesnt really solve the problem of no development money in the league. The Calgarys, Vancouvers and Saskatoons of the league wont be extremely worried, but teams like PA and Swift Current depend on this money, and could be the difference between breaking even and losing money. It is a concern for the CHL.

The_Vulk
02-16-2005, 07:13 PM
It definately did not come as a surprise.

I think the only ones truly surprised where the PA. Guess they were hoping, like in the last stoppage, that a new CBA would be had as a bandaid solution.

Well guess what!

It is time to fix the problems, not just put a dressing over it and ignore the realities of it.

kelownakarl
02-16-2005, 07:56 PM
I was a huge NHL fan... but I realized in the last few months I am happier watching Junior hockey, players who are driving to get drafted, get the contracts etc. rather then a bunch of overpaid babies who cant decide what theyre playing for..... Good riddance to the NHL.

RDRebelsfan
02-16-2005, 08:30 PM
I don't care as much as I thoght I would.

I've bene more passionate about the Rebels in the last 5-6 years anyway than any NHL team. Dispite being an Oiler fan.

And also being involved with the Bentley Generals Senior AAA team and their now contending teams for the Allan Cup just surpasses what the NHL can offer me.

Chipper
02-16-2005, 09:14 PM
I agree about being passionate with the WHL hockey,I have found myself over the last 5 or 6 years that I have watched less NHL and almost every WHL game that I can. What I think I will miss still is the playoffs, and being able to track past junior stars that have graced our rink.