PDA

View Full Version : Overager battle gets tighter

Sput
09-13-2006, 10:04 AM
Wednesday, September 13, 2006
Overager battle just got tighter
by JIM SWANSON, Citizen Sports Editor

Neither Brett Robertson nor Jared Walker knew it as the questions were being asked — no one did, really — but the competition for the three overage spots on the Prince George Cougars just got a whole lot more crowded.

Eric Hunter is coming back, that was learned Tuesday. So games like the one tonight, when the Cougars play their lone home exhibition game with the Kamloops Blazers in town (7 p.m., CN Centre), have as much meaning for the eldest players as they do for those trying to break into the league.

Yes, the job for Scott Bowles, the lone goalie in the group, defenceman Curtis Cooper and forwards Robertson and Walker got a lot tougher. Only three of those five can stay with the Cougars this season.

“It’s important for those guys to put themselves in positions to be considered go-to guys, because that’s what we need from those guys — they have to make an impact,” said Cougars head coach Mike Vandekamp.

“They have to be capable leaders, and that area is one of the battles we have going on right now. We’re a long way from knowing what we’re going to do there.”

Walker, who arrived from Red Deer in October of last season and finished the season with 19 goals and 32 assists, is the kind of physical player coveted by all WHL teams, but he still may end up on the wrong end of the numbers game.

“It’s tough on everybody, not knowing what’s going to happen here,” said Walker, a former Chicago Blackhawks draft pick who was allowed to become a free agent. A tryout with Nashville fell through this summer.

“All the 20-year-olds are good players and I think no matter what happens, we’re all going to have a place to play in the league. I’d love to stay here — coming from Red Deer to here, there was a lot more positive input from the coach here, and I like playing for the coaches here. They’re fair. They started something here last year that I think we can really build on. It’s not like I’m a 16-year-old again, but camp is a bit more important because we’re all trying to make the team again.”

Robertson, who calls Calgary home, didn’t know a single Cougars player when he was traded here by the Medicine Hat Tigers for no-show Tyler Swystun on Aug. 25. But Robertson has ties to Vandekamp dating back six years when he attended a Vernon BCHL camp as a 14-year-old, the first of three Vipers camps he went to.

Robertson’s father Dave, a former assistant coach at the University of Calgary, has also worked as a scout for Vandekamp.

“I think they brought me in here for a reason and I have to make sure I’m living up to my end of the bargain,” said Robertson, who scored 22 goals for Medicine Hat last season, and who brings with him 46 games of playoff experience.

“It’s going to be tough having to get rid of two guys, it will be sad to see those two guys go, whoever they may be. Hopefully it’s not me.”

When the regular season arrives, the undrafted Robertson will wear Devin Featherstone’s old No. 17, the same number he wore in Medicine Hat. Vandekamp has become a Robertson fan in a hurry.

“He’s done well already, he’s a natural leader and he’s taking charge,” said Vandekamp.

“You expect your 20-year-olds to be leaders. He’s comfortable in his own shoes, and he brings the intangibles you expect in an older player.”

The return of Hunter will speed up the process of thinning the herd of 20-year-olds, Dallas Thompson said.

“It moves everything up, because we were fully prepared to wait until (the WHL overager deadline of) Oct. 12, and now that we know what’s going to happen there we have to make our decision and move on,” said the Cougars general manager.

Swando
09-15-2006, 12:37 AM
I think Hunter belongs on a Memorial Cup team like the Giants. He's proven his potential in the DUB and now needs to showcase it in a primetime market. He deserves a chance to strut his stuff. I've said it all along that it would be a good fit.

bones
09-15-2006, 01:20 AM
I think Hunter belongs on a Memorial Cup team like the Giants. He's proven his potential in the DUB and now needs to showcase it in a primetime market. He deserves a chance to strut his stuff. I've said it all along that it would be a good fit.

He belongs on a real Memorial Cup team like the Cougars, not the Giants. Plus it would be mentally retarded to trade him in division to a team you play 8 times a year, but you Giants fans can keep dreaming because only you mush heads would think that might actually happen.

KBF
09-15-2006, 11:30 AM
So you think being undefeated in Exhibition makes you a Cup contender? Ha, Cougars got some nice players but have a loooooong way to go to be a "cup contender".

bones
09-15-2006, 01:08 PM
This has nothing to do with exhibition, we went undefeated the last 2 years in exhibition. Im just saying if you want to call the Giants a cup team you might as well call us one because we are going to be just as good as them if not better. I gaurantee that the Giants wont win the league this year, the only reason they are going to be in the Mem Cup is because they are hosting.

Sput
09-15-2006, 02:23 PM
Lets keep the talk on topic people. Saying who is going to the MC right now, or who is a contender or not, has nothing to do with the 20yo topic. Trolling and name calling will only get you edited at best, banned at worst. The choices are yours.

I know from the past that dondo would love to see Hunter in a Giants jersey. Not likely to happen.