PDA

View Full Version : Dan Hamuis artical....preseason warmup

Sput
09-13-2006, 10:07 AM
Predator on the prowl
By Harpreet Sidhu
Free Press
Sep 06 2006

Dan Hamhuis spent most of his summer in his home town of Smithers, but before heading to Nashville he was on the ice in Prince George.

The former Prince George Cougars captain spent last week working out with his old junior coach to prepare for the upcoming season.

“It’s a good pace out here,” said Hamhuis, who was joined on the ice by Nashville Predators draft pick Paul Brown for the practices. “Ed (Dempsey, Spruce Kings head coach) is running some good practices and drills.”

Hamhuis played four seasons for Demspey when he was the coach of the Prince George Cougars.

For Hamhuis the practices are a chance to get some physical play prior to the start of the season.

“It’s something that’s hard to find in the summer. It’s usually just shinny. I’ve been getting in some contact practice before heading off to camp.”

Hamhuis collected seven goals and 31 assists for the Predators who finished in fourth place in the Western Conference.

“I was fortunate enough to play in all 82 games and I stayed healthy. The honour of playing for Team Canada at the end of the year was a great experience as well.”

Team Canada finished the World Hockey Championships in fourth place.

“You hang out with your teammates in a different country and you bond quickly. It’s a short tournament, it’s an intense three weeks. It’s unfortunate that we didn’t come out with the result that we wanted.”

Hamhuis is entering training camp still waiting for a new contract.

“It’s coming down to crunch time with camp starting soon. I know both sides would like to have it done soon so it’s not a cloud over training camp or a distraction,” said Hamhuis.

Hamhuis has had to adjust his game to fit better with the enforcement of obstruction calls.

“It’s more of a skaters game now. As a defenceman you have to have quick feet and be in a good position all the time. As soon as you get out of position that’s when you have to hook and hold guys to get back. I’ve had to improve my foot speed and quickness on the ice,” said Hamhuis.

Dwight Schrute
09-13-2006, 03:34 PM
we will have to see if anybody pulls a bobby clarke and gives him an offer sheet