PDA

View Full Version : Dakers at camp

Spungy
09-13-2006, 10:08 AM
The Sharks earned a 6-1 victory over Anaheim at the Pacific Division Shootout on Monday. With the win, the Sharks improved to 1-1-1 and will play the Ducks again on Tuesday at 4:00 p.m.

Center Joe Pavelski and goaltender Taylor Dakers, two of the Sharks most productive prospects from the 2005-06 season, each had a breakout game on Monday.

Pavelski broke the game wide open with two consecutive goals within 5:43, one in the first period and one in the second period, that extended the Sharks lead to 5-0.

On the other side of the ice, Dakers impressed the crowd by stopping all but one shot. With the help of a stout defense, Dakers was able to see the puck well the entire night. With the exception of one funky bounce off a stick, Dakers was perfect.

“I felt really good and comfortable tonight,” said Dakers. “I felt like I had something to prove after my first game Friday night. Fortunately I was able to come in and make some more saves tonight. The defense has been doing a good job of talking and clearing any of my rebounds and they let me see all the shots pretty clearly.”

Dakers, who signed a contract with the Sharks in the off-season is still eligible to return to his junior team, proved why he won ten of his last fourteen starts during the 2005-06 regular season with Kootenay (WHL). At seasons’ end, he led the WHL in save percentage (.926), ranked third in shutouts (8) and fifth in goals against average (2.11).

Vice President and Assistant General Manager Wayne Thomas, a former goaltender that works closely with the Sharks netminders, was impressed with Dakers’ bounce-back performance.

“One thing we look for in players is how they rebound after a tough game,” said Thomas. “He came back out tonight and had a one-goal game. He made saves early and he made saves late. He handled the puck well and was a big part of the win.”

While he wasn’t satisfied with the results in Friday night’s loss, Dakers is just playing his game.

“I didn’t feel bad the other night, so I just wanted to come out tonight and make sure I played the same way and stop some more pucks.”

Chipper
09-13-2006, 11:17 AM
Good for Taylor! I am sure that he will do just fine in the system somewhere.