PDA

View Full Version : Yellowhorn traded

Beaner
09-14-2006, 10:34 AM
to the Americans, along with Kaye for a First round 2007 pick and a 3rd round 2008 pick.

Article from whl.ca here - http://www.whlfans.ca/showthread.php?p=52910#post52910

loudi94
09-14-2006, 11:20 AM
Seems like another one of those "cleaning house" trades. I think Yellowhorn may have worn out his welcome and since the snow may be coming soon Kaye may have been prone to another toboganning incident.

shushu
09-14-2006, 11:24 AM
:wave: when the team is swimming in young talent. jesus please dont tell me we have another gm that cant stand WINNING....

Nielson11
09-14-2006, 11:40 AM
Hey Guys,

Just got off the phone with Roy, says it's simply a case of making room for the younger guys to step up this year. Which I guess isn't the worst thing in the world.

Still though, just boggles my mind. I'm waiting to talk with Yellowhorn and get his side of the story.

Nielson

Sput
09-14-2006, 12:55 PM
Make room for the young guys sure....but at the expense of your top scorer? There must be more to this, or all hockey fans are conspiricy theorists.

SeventhHeaven4U
09-14-2006, 01:18 PM
It's a big loss, but apparently Colton wasn't happy here in Lethbridge and wanted to be moved. Good luck Yellowhorn with the Americans!

Caner
09-14-2006, 01:21 PM
This most likely will lead to using the extra 1st pick to trade for a skilled younger forward. Its an valued asset that he can use later. Theres more to this move.

Nielson11
09-14-2006, 01:53 PM
It's a big loss, but apparently Colton wasn't happy here in Lethbridge and wanted to be moved. Good luck Yellowhorn with the Americans!

I just got off the phone with Colton....he said he was shocked, said he did not ask for a trade, want to say sorry to the fans for having to leave but it was not his decision and that he wanted to play with the Hurricanes for his entire career.

SeventhHeaven4U
09-14-2006, 03:54 PM
I just got off the phone with Colton....he said he was shocked, said he did not ask for a trade, want to say sorry to the fans for having to leave but it was not his decision and that he wanted to play with the Hurricanes for his entire career.

Just shows you how much you can trust what ya hear!! I can imagine how much of a blow it is to him seeing as he just got back from TO. I sure hope the Canes have some huge magic trick up their sleeves to salvage our scoring situation!!! :(

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
09-14-2006, 05:34 PM
I see what the boys in the bridge are doing( I know its obvious, but humor me ;) ). They are building up for years down the road, maybe when fadden is 20 (if he is still here) and when Boychuk is 19, because this kid will most likely be moved off to pros come overage year. I doubt they expect this year to be triumphant by any means. Besides, if the canes do crappy this year, that means they get a higher touted prospect from the draft. Im also pretty sure that this trade wasnt the last one they plan on making just yet.

PS: This really screws up my preseason rankings. for this year. You guys better still finish ahead of red deer, or else....

grainbear
09-14-2006, 05:35 PM
We need it to start today ,and with the GM. I could not question his previous moves but this one is in the twilight zone . Yes , the youngsters need ice time but man where is the scoring to come from to replace Yellowhorn, also in Kaye in spite of injuries we have a player that was fast look at the speed trials from last years skills competion and also finished checks. As a fan I am bloody tired of this franchise always building for the future. We have waited patiently for something to develop for at least 3 years. How can you possible think you have the guns to perform once theother vets get back from NHL camps. Scoring goals in exhibition doesn,t cut it when the oppostion is another young team Red Deer. I was thinking that we would challenge Medicine Hat for 1 st place in the Central . I now envision us being in 4th place at the best. This will also impact attendence because Yellowhorn brought people nightly from the reserve to watch him . This is going to go down as one of the most unhappy trades amongst local fans in both the history of the Canes and even going back to the days of the Lethbridge Broncos. Yes I am pissed

Shunita
09-14-2006, 08:55 PM
C*R*A*Z*Y!!!!!!! Not only is he the top scorer and talent on the team, Yellowhorn is local. There are hundreds of people that come to games just because he was playing here and he is a 70+ point scorer with potential to go higher. Are these guys loonie or trying to make it so they have no choice but to sell the team to the Sutter family. I have family there that went to games because of local kids like Yellowhorn, Klinkhammer etc all there. What is the next move to send Ben Wright to an East division team for a rack of sticks? Come on guys use your heads. Guaranteed there will be an uproar in Southern Alberta and thanks for pushing the Hitmen to the #2 Post in the Central. Wow....

loudi94
09-14-2006, 09:39 PM
Nielson11 do you think that this was the final piece of the "retaking of the team" by management? It's been common knowledge that the professional aspect of the young players were questioned over the past seasons. It is also well known that Colton had some discipline problems last season. My guess is that he came back from camp and must have rubbed someone the wrong way right away and was shipped out. I have a Tri-Cities source that will fill me in from their end, but I'd like to hear your opinion.

peatfan
09-15-2006, 04:38 AM
To lose a top 10 scorer in the WHL and a good experience winger for nothing this year just helps your chance for the #1 pick next season. Granted your team in 07-08 will be extremely tough to beat but this year yuou will be missing leadership that both Yellowhorn & Kaye brings. Boychuk & King are talented forwards but need another year before they can lead. Leclerc is an outstanding goalie and he might push the team into the playoffs. And you have Wright on the blueline so you do have talent for this year but who is going to be the go-to guy. I was surprised of this trade. BAD TRADE

patsdude114
09-15-2006, 12:20 PM
I read the trade in regina's newspaper today and even i was shocked..... lol right away i thought the Pats were looking for a top 19 yr old but i'll keep dreaming...anyways back to this trade i know alot of teams have noticed what the pats did a few yrs ago when they traded away Harding and said then that nexted year was a rebuilding year...we'll we won 12 games that year it was hard to watch at times, but it paid off last season we won 40 games (this year we are 1 of the favorites for the east division we have a great core of 18 year olds this year lead by Pyett, Bernhardt, Schira, Duval, and now our new euro in Snellman plus you throw in our 17 yr olds like N.Ross and Leffler.. we are set for a few years plus with some top young guys who we drafted last year and this year) i hope the Hurricanes arnt as bad as we were in our rebuilding year cuz it gets really tough to go to the games but in the long run (which im sure the GM and coaches r looking at) it will pay off.

Good Luck Canes

Broncs in RD
09-15-2006, 04:57 PM
Wow what a trade this could be as worse as the trade that Lethbridge and Swift Current made for redenbach a few years back. The Broncos got the shaft in that one now....sorry canes fans, but A top scorer in the league and a speedy forward for a 1st and 3rd rounder. blows my mind.

SectionNDeserter
09-15-2006, 05:41 PM
I think that he is just a gambling man. Tri-Cities has probably had one of the first 10 first-round picks in at least 10 of the last 12 seasons, and there is no reason to think that this trend isn't going to continue. Only thing that sucks about these "star player for draft picks" trades at the start of a WHL season, is that you are not going to reap the benefits of this trade for at least 2, maybe 3 years.

Redwic
09-16-2006, 07:30 AM
I think that he is just a gambling man. Tri-Cities has probably had one of the first 10 first-round picks in at least 10 of the last 12 seasons, and there is no reason to think that this trend isn't going to continue.

I was only able to find records/standings for the past 10 seasons. Tri-City had a Top 10 Bantam Draft Pick after 9 out of the past 10 seasons (98-99 being the only exception season). How many banners have they won during that timeframe? 0.

Obviously, this same old approach (of Top 10 Draft Picks) hasn't paid dividends for the team's success, so the GM decided to take a new approach. Do I think that Yellowhorn is the answer to the team's woes? No. But at least I give them credit for trying something new, especially after a lot of Tri-City fans became disgruntled because the team almost was moved to Chilliwack amid numerous lies by their then-ownership.

Which team will come out of this trade looking better? Ultimately, it will be Lethbridge, which could potentially end up with a solid player pick in the next Bantam Draft who could become a mainstay for many years.

Bertrox44
10-15-2006, 12:33 PM
WORST TRADE IN HISTORY! :burningma

I never thought in a million years Yellow Horn would be traded. I was so shocked when I heard this...

loudi94
10-15-2006, 12:54 PM
WORST TRADE IN HISTORY! :burningma

I never thought in a million years Yellow Horn would be traded. I was so shocked when I heard this...

A little slow reading the news??? ;)

Blades 4 Life!
10-16-2006, 05:20 PM
How is the Hurricanes without Yellowhorn, they play in Saskatoon on tuesday and i was just woundering how good they are without Yellowhorn.

grainbear
10-16-2006, 07:51 PM
I have to admit that overall I am very surprised the youngsters have certainly stepped it up. We have a much more balanced attack with a lot of offense coming on the back end . They have been in every game this season both at home and on the road. They are a very fast team, at times they are taking the lazy penalties, hooking and so on. Both goaltenders have played well but not outstanding . The rookie Craige on defense has 5 goals already and has a howitzer that surprises a lot of goal tenders . If Vantuch and Dietrich start to contribute more as well. look out we may well surprise in the Central

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
10-16-2006, 08:58 PM
Imagine where you would be with yellowhorn and kaye.. :laugh: (sorry)

I have to admit that the canes have been a huge surprise to play so well. I, along with others, assumed this team to be somewhat like a bottom 5 team, especially without Yellowhorn and Kaye, and now they look to be a top team the the division, if not the conference.

Im curious as to what the key to lethbridges success is so far this season, whether it is guys like boychuk and fadden maknig lots of progress, or some youngsters with surprising success. I think Leclerc might have alot to do with it personally, but thats just an assumption. I cant wait to see these kids up in Regina on saturday.

loudi94
10-16-2006, 11:11 PM
Imagine where you would be with yellowhorn and kaye.. :laugh: (sorry)

I'd say we'd be right where we are now. The young guys are bringing the offence that Yellowhorn provided and seeing as he never was a defensive asset (even when he played D) we might be doing a little better. It was a big gamble, but it's worked out IMO.

Bertrox44
10-21-2006, 05:00 PM
A little slow reading the news??? ;)
No, I knew about this trade already. I just recently got an account here so I just thought I'd post my opinion about this trade. :)