PDA

View Full Version : Eberle give Pats glimpse of future

nivek_wahs
09-15-2006, 03:38 AM
from reginapats.com via the LeaderPost http://www.reginapats.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=584

Eberle give Pats glimpse of future

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Thursday, September 14, 2006

Don't dismiss the presence of rookie Jordan Eberle on the Regina Pats' power-play unit as one of those preseason anomalies.

It's more likely a preview of things to come.

The 16-year-old rookie scored his first two WHL goals and added one assist on Wednesday, leading the Pats to a 5-4 overtime win over the visiting Saskatoon Blades.

Eberle was playing his first game at the Brandt Centre after signing a WHL contract on Thursday, ending a lengthy courting process by Regina. The highly touted prospect, who's a lock to crack the Pats' season-opening roster, now has five points in three exhibition games.

"I was a little nervous at the start of the game," said Eberle, a Regina native who moved to Calgary two years ago. "I looked up and saw the seats I used to sit in (as a kid). It was a good feeling (to have a successful home debut). Overall I thought we got better as the game went on and we finally pulled it out at the end."

The drama ended with 1:05 left in overtime when Ian Duval converted his second power-play marker of the night. Garrett Festerling earned his third assist of the game to go along with one goal.

"For us to beat them is a good feeling, even if it is an exhibition game," said Festerling, whose team was eliminated by Saskatoon in the first round of the 2006 playoffs. "They sent us home last year, so we're always going to have that grudge."

Regina scored four times on the power play, including both of Eberle's markers. His second goal, which came during a fast and furious third period, was a highlight reel effort as he picked up the puck at Saskatoon's blueline, skated in and rifled a shot past Braden Holtby.

"He's awesome, great patience, great offensive skill, works his ass off," Festerling said of his rookie teammate. "He's going to be a dandy for us."

"He's got some talent, there's no question about it," added head coach Curtis Hunt. "Great poise with the puck and he's a heads-up guy. He certainly created some chances and had a heck of a game. But I saw a lot of bad things from a lot of other different people that occupy your mind at this point in time."

Hunt wasn't pleased with some of the penalties which led to Saskatoon's 14 power-play chances, including two goals. The Pats went 4-for-13 with the man advantage.

"We shortened the bench quite a bit tonight," noted Hunt. "In an exhibition game, that's usually unheard of. We want to make the message very clear, 'Don't take anything for granted.' We had too many guys who weren't prepared to work."

Rookie goaltender Jeff Bosch got the start for Regina and gave up two goals on 14 shots. David Reekie came in at the midway point of the game and finished with 10 saves on 12 shots.

Ryan Menei (with two goals), Colton Gillies and Blair Macaulay scored for the Blades, who dropped their fourth exhibition game in as many tries.

"We're going to make mistakes," said Blades head coach/GM Lorne Molleken, who's guiding a youth movement in Saskatoon this season. "The sooner we make those mistakes the better we're going to be as a team. That's one thing we're stressing with our group right now, to go out and do the things that got them to this level, If mistakes are made, so be it. We'll get al a lot better as we go ahead."

The Pats (3-1) continue exhibition play on Friday night at the Brandt Centre against the Brandon Wheat Kings. Regina concludes the preseason schedule the next night in Brandon.

EXTRAS: The Blades dressed 10 players with WHL experience, one fewer than Regina . . . Following the game, Regina assigned D Curtis Kulchar, 16, to the midget AAA Prince Albert Mintos . . . Pats C Levi Lind (nose) made his preseason debut . . . The Pats were without RW Niko Snellman (Nashville), RW Justin Bernhardt (San Jose), D Craig Schira (L.A.) and D Logan Pyett (Detroit) due to NHL training camp commitments. Saskatoon was missing D David Schultz (Edmonton) and RW Devin Setoguchi (San Jose).I have to say that this kid is a keeper. I just jope that he doesn't end up warming the bench (like many a 16-year old). Jordan has got the talent and speed to play in the WHL. Just needs to get stronger. Definitely a bright spot for the Pats' future. :clap:

Triton
09-15-2006, 11:31 AM
Does Curtis Kulchar have a shot at making the team?

nivek_wahs
09-15-2006, 11:42 AM
Kulchar is a good young defenceman that's not very big, kinda reminds me of Schira in many ways (except the hitting part) and he was one of the best d-men at camp. With that being said the Pats as of right now have many capable d-men. He will make the team next year without a doubt. Like the article said he has been sent down to the Mintos.

Dwight Schrute
09-15-2006, 11:50 AM
eberle looked good at the ice breaker.
another year of midget should help kulchar. and tim leonard was saying he wasnt happy with the defense and should be pleased to get back kulchar. also kulchar should get a ton more ice with the minto's then with the pats

Triton
09-15-2006, 11:51 AM
Kulchar is a good young defenceman that's not very big, kinda reminds me of Schira in many ways (except the hitting part) and he was one of the best d-men at camp. With that being said the Pats as of right now have many capable d-men. He will make the team next year without a doubt. Like the article said he has been sent down to the Mintos.

Oh I didn't read the whole article,so i missed that.