PDA

View Full Version : WHL's Top 5...

nivek_wahs
09-15-2006, 04:03 AM
according to Rob Vanstone (Regina LeaderPost) in the Sept. 19 Hockey News in the Major Junior preview are...

1. Everett Silvertips
2. Vancouver Giants
3. Medicine Hat Tigers
4. Calgary Hitmen
5. Seattle Thunderbirds

Last... Prince Albert Raiders

ihlemic10
09-15-2006, 07:46 AM
A couple of surprises there. I wouldn't think Everett 1st...I was thinking more Vancouver, Hat, Everett...

GOBLADESGO#3 (among other aliases)
09-15-2006, 08:29 AM
wow thats really suprising especially everett and seatle, not saying that because there US but they really didnt do anything in the off-season and didnt do that well last season, medicine hat, and Vancouver i can deffenently understand lol

Beaner
09-15-2006, 09:32 AM
wow thats really suprising especially everett and seatle, not saying that because there US but they really didnt do anything in the off-season and didnt do that well last season, medicine hat, and Vancouver i can deffenently understand lol

Sorry? Everett didnt do well last year? What league were you watching? 85 points on a very young team is pretty darn good. Sure they got steamrolled by the Giants in the WHL playoffs, but then again who didn't?

And have you looked at Everetts' roster? Mueller, Fialla, Calla, Irving, the list goes on. They only had 4 players drafted in last year in the NHL draft. Everett is an easy choice for top 5 and anyone can make an arguement that they will be first overall with no problem.

And Vancouver has done even LESS than Everett int he off-season to get better. And I don't think MH has done all that much either.

I do think Everett needs to make a play for some D help, that seems to be their only real weakness right now, but upfront and between the pipes they are as good as any other team in the league.

Hey and I like kicking Everett as much as the next guy, and watching them lose. And it would make me laugh out loud if they missed the playoffs, but I can acknowledge when teams I don't like look really good for this year. And Everett looks really good this year.

Seattle, I don't see top 5. Don't know where he came up with that, and I am not convinced that Calgary without Pogge is a top 5 team either. I think I would go with an Eastern team, but to be honest I'm not sure which.

PG getting Hunter back I really like for a potential Top 5 finish, but his list was probably done before that news came out. Also playing in a weaker BC Division will help PG to collect some much needed points. I'd take PG for the 5 spot before Seattle.

Triton
09-15-2006, 11:05 AM
I don't think that guy really has paid attention to the league.I seen that list and it's rediculous.

agent
09-15-2006, 11:41 AM
according to Rob Vanstone (Regina LeaderPost) in the Sept. 19 Hockey News in the Major Junior preview are...

1. Everett Silvertips
2. Vancouver Giants
3. Medicine Hat Tigers
4. Calgary Hitmen
5. Seattle Thunderbirds

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/ratings/?lid=113tid=1267

nivek_wahs
09-15-2006, 11:44 AM
http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/ratings/?lid=113tid=1267I agree somewhat. But they forgot Chilliwack :D .

Triton
09-15-2006, 11:50 AM
Wow they have Brandon that far down,Saskatoon,Calgary and Kamloops that high up? Must be good crack they were smoking.

Brandon will be better than people are thinking.But of course people think that Brandon has nothing for talent.

WHEATMAN
09-15-2006, 12:20 PM
Wow they have Brandon that far down,Saskatoon,Calgary and Kamloops that high up? Must be good crack they were smoking.

Brandon will be better than people are thinking.But of course people think that Brandon has nothing for talent.

Brandon will surprise alot of people, they should have been alot higher

09-15-2006, 01:21 PM
well as i said on the wheat kings forum, tey would suprise people, jsut as you said and the Blades arent looking that great, especially in pre-season and they better not do it in the regular season, but Brandon has the potential to battle for second or 3rd in the east along with the Blades is something goes according to plan :spineyes:

Triton
09-15-2006, 02:02 PM
well as i said on the wheat kings forum, tey would suprise people, jsut as you said and the Blades arent looking that great, especially in pre-season and they better not do it in the regular season, but Brandon has the potential to battle for second or 3rd in the east along with the Blades is something goes according to plan :spineyes:

Brandon has the potential to battle for first.Pats may have good defense but if Kalus doesn't come back,they could have a hard time scoring goals.Their goaltending isn't great either.Brandon has hidden gems.They don't have huge names like Setoguchi,Mueller,or Mcardle but they do have talent.

Jimmypop316
09-15-2006, 02:41 PM
Haha these predictions are pretty laughable..

WHEATMAN
09-15-2006, 04:03 PM
Brandon has the potential to battle for first.Pats may have good defense but if Kalus doesn't come back,they could have a hard time scoring goals.Their goaltending isn't great either.Brandon has hidden gems.They don't have huge names like Setoguchi,Mueller,or Mcardle but they do have talent.

Gotta agree, Brandon definetly has the potential to battle for first. Brandon is easily the most well rounded team in the eastern division, and with a goalie like Plante, I can see the wheats going on a tear down the stretch, dont underestimate the wheaties people.

HAF
09-15-2006, 04:30 PM
http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/ratings/?lid=113tid=1267

This one must have been put out before this week. Theres no way Portland will finish ahead of TC now. In fact, I'd put TC a few places higher then what they have PDX listed.

Sput
09-15-2006, 05:04 PM
The writer must have done these way to early. In my mind he has Kelowna, Calgary, Kootney, Saskatoon, and Portland all ranked to high. This while having Tri-cities, Red Deer and Prince George ranked to low. Its still far to early to say where anyone is going to end up, but this guy's list looks way off.

dondo
09-15-2006, 05:07 PM

1. Everett Silvertips
2. Vancouver Giants
3. Medicine Hat Tigers
4. Calgary Hitmen
5. Seattle Thunderbirds

I think Everett is going to have a very hard time making the adjustment to the tighter called games. Their style of hockey is defense first and if interference and clutching are being called more stingently then they are in for a long season.

Its interesting that in the mini-tourney, in Everett, it seemed to be the Giants who were penalised the least -- followed, I would say, by Spokane. Everett were getting tagged all over the ice and without the deep D they had had a hard time on the PK and would frequently get called for penalties while on the PK.

Seattle did alright penalty-wise as well, but Kamloops, Everett and esp Portland were having a very hard time adjusting to the reffing.

Keep an eye on the Rebels this year as it feels like they have got better as well.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
09-16-2006, 05:14 PM
Yeah, these predictions suck, these people obviously know nothing about this league. The guy who made this must be a homer fan from vancouver because he thinks they are the best in everything too.

They also forgot chilliwack. Perhaps this would be more close to the 2005-2006 season, but even then its still pretty off. The pats were not ranked 15th in defence last year, they were closer to the top 5, and no offence to kelowna fans, but they wont be anywhere close to 2nd in the LEAGUE this year unless some miracle happens and all the teams except for vancouver decide to quit for the year.

If you have heard the phrase "educated guess", this is what you call a "non-educated guess".

Flathead
09-16-2006, 05:57 PM
I'll guarentee that Swift will not finish second last. Yes they are a younger team this year, but a more talented team. I know every team says it preseason but, Swift will surprise a lot of teams this year. I know it's only preseason and lots of guys are at pro camps, teams play a lot of rookies, but it works that way for Swift as well and they are 4-1 so far this preseason. Could be the surprise team of the year, a very talented young team.

Beaner
09-16-2006, 06:03 PM
The http://www.oursportscentral.com/ser...lid=113tid=1267 thing is not a prediction ranking, it is a rating system based on games played and the results of those games played.

If you look at the link to the actual rating system, you will see that it hasnt taken into account any of the preseason games or what has happened since the end of the WHL playoffs and has not changed since then. Even though according to the website it was last updated on Sept 16th. That is obviously an error.

http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?lg=whl

Here is the link to the how this rating system, "works"

http://www.masseyratings.com/theory/massey.htm

Thats why there is no Chilliwack.

Lets get a few regular season games into this ratings system then we can start to trash it. :laugh:

09-16-2006, 07:07 PM
whats wrong with Chiliwak you know there good lol jsut kidding theyre not going to win the memorisl cup if thats what you mean