PDA

View Full Version : Smoking Bylaw

Hockey101
09-15-2006, 08:16 AM
Did i her that right that some fans of the Rebels are cancelling there season tickets because they cant smoke in the centruim?????? Makes me wounder if this is true who they are fans of?????

Rebel Helper
09-15-2006, 09:28 AM
Can anyone tell me of any other WHL city arenas that you can't smoke at! Seems to me that freezing my ass off to enjoy a smoke is part of a all Canadian Hockey experience. It seems like the Centrium is willing to pay the price in the long run, guess we won't be getting their early and will be leaving early.
Also, in this community Hocky is a social activity and why would I pay more than $1600.00 for seasons tickets to be treated like a third class person! Obviously Mr. Sutter may not have a Cash flow problem but remember it is the die hard season ticket fans that get the team through those -40 Tuesday night games. And we are willing to step outside for a smoke!

Beaner
09-15-2006, 09:40 AM
Can anyone tell me of any other WHL city arenas that you can't smoke at! Seems to me that freezing my ass off to enjoy a smoke is part of a all Canadian Hockey experience. It seems like the Centrium is willing to pay the price in the long run, guess we won't be getting their early and will be leaving early.
Also, in this community Hocky is a social activity and why would I pay more than $1600.00 for seasons tickets to be treated like a third class person! Obviously Mr. Sutter may not have a Cash flow problem but remember it is the die hard season ticket fans that get the team through those -40 Tuesday night games. And we are willing to step outside for a smoke!

Not really the same living in Vancouver, but you can't smoke at any Public building inside. That includes restaurants, bars and pubs. Mind you, our winters are not nearly as bad as yours, just a lot wetter. LOL. I believe that goes for the entire province but I am not 100% on that.

The PNE has a roped off section, and so does GM place for people needing to go outside for a smoke during games.

I believe Everett doesnt even allow that - IE no leaving for a smoke during games.

Heh, and it looks like the city of Toronto is going to fine Sean Penn for lighting up a smoke during a press conference at the Toronto Film Festival in a public Building.

Sign of the times, and its been this way in Vancouver for years. Frankly I dont mind it, it was annoying at first, but I find I smoke a lot less now.

FreddieFender
09-15-2006, 07:00 PM
To answer Hockey 101's question... I picked up my season tickets at 4:30 p.m today, and was actually hoping that someone with good seats had cancelled theirs. I had my VISA out and was prepared to buy the seats if they were good seats. When I asked at the desk if anyone had tried to cancel their seats, I was told that nobody had attempted to cancel their seats. The lady at the desk indicated that someone is simply blowing some smoke and starting a rumour.

grainbear
09-15-2006, 09:01 PM
Outside in Lethbridge for a smoke, as of january u cant even smoke in the bars

SectionNDeserter
09-15-2006, 09:52 PM
Also, in this community Hocky is a social activity and why would I pay more than $1600.00 for seasons tickets to be treated like a third class person!Right or wrong, that is what smokers are becoming in today's society. Walk it off.

Obviously Mr. Sutter may not have a Cash flow problem but remember it is the die hard season ticket fans that get the team through those -40 Tuesday night games. And we are willing to step outside for a smoke!
Sutter has nothing to do with the Westerner's policy of not allowing people back into the Centrium, the Rebels and the Westerner are two seperate, independantly-operated entities. It is in Sutter's best interest to support their policy, because he really has no say in it, and currently the Red Deer arena doesn't hold 6000 people...

Tinner
09-15-2006, 09:53 PM
being indifferent on the smoking issue, the only issue I see is the Westerner taking the stance on "once you leave, you cant come back". Lots of places provide an exit where the smokers can go outside. You pick up a smoking pass or get stamped, go out, have your smoke and return. The Westerner can use the front entrance for this purpose as there is 2 sets of doors to get outside and no cold air or wind would enter the rink.

Aside from the smoking issue, why cant someone leave then come back. The person has paid for his/her ticket/share and all it takes is for one of the ushers to stamp them when they leave. There is at least 2 of them at the front doors at all times. Heavy handed if you ask me!

SectionNDeserter
09-15-2006, 10:12 PM
Aside from the smoking issue, why cant someone leave then come back. The person has paid for his/her ticket/share and all it takes is for one of the ushers to stamp them when they leave. There is at least 2 of them at the front doors at all times. Heavy handed if you ask me!Biggest reason I can see for this is that they would have games with paid attendance of about 4500 people at that particular game, and by the end of the second period, there would be 5500 people in attendance, due to the whole hand stamping thing being a little sketchy, regardless of where it is used. Also they would have to hire 3 or 4 (or more) people (in addition to the two) to stamp/check people's hands, and/or check their tickets, and deal with the people who "left their tickets inside"

HAF
09-15-2006, 10:36 PM
TC has a fenced off area outdoors behind Sec R. This allows the smokers to go outside for their smoke without the possibility of letting people without tickets enter the building. I'm not a smoker but I see nothing wrong with this. I think most buildings have a policy about leaving and reentering. I think its mostly to keep people from going to the car for a beer at intermission rather then buying the overpriced draft from the beer concessions. I dont exactly agree with it but it's a fact of life and I understand beer sales mean revenue for these teams.

GOBLADESGO#3 (among other aliases)
09-15-2006, 11:01 PM
actually there is a nice place to smoke in Saskatoon at the south end i belive, a nice little closed in area (heated) :groovy: nice to chat in between periods

GBG BLEED BLUE
09-15-2006, 11:08 PM
actually there is a nice place to smoke in Saskatoon at the south end i belive, a nice little closed in area (heated) :groovy: nice to chat in between periods
I do not know if it is heated,and yes if you want to stand outside and get cold,talk to someone,and get the affects of second hand smoke,that is why I will never smoke,my dad did but, I will NEVER smoke.

GOBLADESGO#3 (among other aliases)
09-15-2006, 11:17 PM
nono im pretty sure nobody can smoke their i ment they smoke outside and we stand inside the little place that is heated but thiers second hand smoke everywhere ma man really everybody smokes

LifelongChiefsFan
09-15-2006, 11:57 PM
TC has a fenced off area outdoors behind Sec R. This allows the smokers to go outside for their smoke without the possibility of letting people without tickets enter the building. I'm not a smoker but I see nothing wrong with this. I think most buildings have a policy about leaving and reentering. I think its mostly to keep people from going to the car for a beer at intermission rather then buying the overpriced draft from the beer concessions. I dont exactly agree with it but it's a fact of life and I understand beer sales mean revenue for these teams.

Do they still let smokers go out there now? Spokane has a fenced in designated smoking area outside the arena as well. However since the law passed that bans smoking within 25 ft of a building entrance, I don't think they let smokers go out there anymore. As far as I know, if you want to smoke you have to leave the arena and will not be readmitted. I'm curious to see if T/C will enforce the 25 ft rule or not.

HAF
09-16-2006, 12:03 AM
Do they still let smokers go out there now? Spokane has a fenced in designated smoking area outside the arena as well. However since the law passed that bans smoking within 25 ft of a building entrance, I don't think they let smokers go out there anymore. As far as I know, if you want to smoke you have to leave the arena and will not be readmitted. I'm curious to see if T/C will enforce the 25 ft rule or not.

They were still letting them out there during the tourney.... maybe they are making them move 25 ft away from the doors. I'm not sure, I dont go out there.

Bran
09-16-2006, 11:10 AM
Outside in Lethbridge for a smoke, as of january u cant even smoke in the bars
No smoking in public buildings in Saskatchewan. Same way in Ontario, (I believe Manitoba? Maybe not, I haven't been there in awhile so I can't remember) Soon it will be that way everywhere, so you might as well get used to it now. As for not being allowed back in...I can't understand that at all. You pay for your ticket, you should be allowed back in. I can't see the hand stamping/ticket stub issue being a huge problem. They deal with it everywhere else. Make sure people know that if they leave they will need their ticket to get back in. (Do they even stamp your hands at Pats games? I don't remember, but I'm not sure they do anymore.) And for most people, they will get used to it, I know a lot of people who smoke that have a cigarette before they go in and wait until after the game to have another. Those people who cancel their tickets...either they're trying to make a point or the games were just something to do.

WHEATMAN
09-16-2006, 11:24 AM
No smoking in public buildings in Saskatchewan. Same way in Ontario, (I believe Manitoba? Maybe not,

In Manitoba it has been that way for a few years now.

KBF
09-16-2006, 12:12 PM
Just now you guys are getting those laws? In BC we've had those laws set for around 5 years now.

frontrow fan
09-16-2006, 01:11 PM
woo hoo....can honestly say "thank you" for finally having it come to all public buildings...having a kid that is allergic, and having people walking around the concourse smelling like they just inhalled enough smoke to choke a horse is totally disgusting!! As for people cancelling their season tickets, thats ridiculous! theres a TRUE rebels fan!! If u can't go without a smoke for 2.5 hours...stay home and listen to the radio...I couldn't be happier!!!! woo hoo!!! :thumb: :groovy:

Sput
09-16-2006, 01:14 PM
Yup...about 5 years now for no smoking at all in any public building. At CNCenter there are two smoking areas, and I think they are fenced or roped off somehow. one thing that we have here tho is no drinking (OK...sales) in the stands. There is a beer gardens under the seats, but it is only supposed to be open at intermissions. You have to leave the concourse area to go downstairs. I take this option during the colest part of the winter to start my truck so I know it hasn't froze up.