PDA

View Full Version : Thunderchild leaves the Hawks

Kristi
09-15-2006, 12:37 PM
Winter Hawks Defenseman Leaves Team
Dean Vrooman - September 15, 2006

Defenseman Lenny Thunderchild has elected to leave the Portland Winter Hawks and return home to Alberta.

“There is a high level of commitment required to play hockey at this level and Lenny was not prepared to make that commitment at this time,” said Portland Coach Mike Williamson. “Last year, when he came in, he had a long way to go and Lenny made a very big commitment to work his tail off on and off the ice. He earned a regular shift and he made tremendous strides in his education. Lenny has a strong sense of family and felt that he needed to go home.”

Thunderchild, 18, who was acquired last season in a trade with Lethbridge, was one of ten defensemen on the Hawks’ roster.

Portland now has 9 defensemen, 14 forwards and 2 goaltenders on its 2006-07 roster.

Triton
09-15-2006, 12:48 PM
It was a disagreement with coaches and management.He didn't like what was being said..he took it to heart and bolted.Same thing happened with Collins.

Redwic
09-15-2006, 02:01 PM
I liked Thunderchild, and thought/think that he has a lot of potential.

This "going back home" thing seems to be a growing trend in recent years, at least with WHL players, which is unfortunate.

Rsthelen
09-15-2006, 09:50 PM
Thanks for going home.... he was horrible ... how do you show up for camp 30 pounds over weight and in the same breath say you care.....

loudi94
09-17-2006, 06:47 PM
I liked Thunderchild, and thought/think that he has a lot of potential.

This "going back home" thing seems to be a growing trend in recent years, at least with WHL players, which is unfortunate.

On one hand there is a ton of pressure on these kids, moreso than before, some just want to have fun. On the other hand, unless a certain level of committment is reached, step aside and let someone who wants it more take your spot.

Tipped Off
09-17-2006, 09:25 PM
I don't see what the problem is. Better he realize he doesn't want to play now and go hame than make the team, suit up for a few games, cause someone to miss out on a roster spot and then quit. I think one thing we have to keep in mind is Thunderchild was the "other" player who was helped off the ice last year against Seattle in the playoffs in the game Portland came back o win incredibly. Perhaps after a Summer to think about the hits and the fights he just decided it wasn't for him. After all, this is a developmental league in which very few players will ever reach the NHL. It is very hard to realize at some point you aren't going to make it. Perhaps he came to that realization and decided to get on with his life.

Swando
09-20-2006, 02:38 AM
Thanks for going home.... he was horrible ... how do you show up for camp 30 pounds over weight and in the same breath say you care.....

Must have enjoyed a lot of "pops" as Don Cherry would say..over the summer or maybe BIG MACS. 30 lbs as a teenage is rediculous. I wouldn't have let him on the ice!

nivek_wahs
10-18-2006, 03:38 AM
I was going through the Alberta Junior Hockey League rosters/stats and found Thunderchild. He's listed as a trim 6'2 215lbs.

He seems to be adjusting alright... In 6 games with the Lloydminster Bobcats he has 1G & 4A for 5PTS (as of Oct. 17)

http://www.ajhl.ab.ca/leagues/rosters_profile.cfm?clientID=1705&leagueID=3464&teamID=91071&playerID=246412

dondo
10-18-2006, 11:38 AM
its too bad players like this can't seem to get to that level maturity and understanding. I still find this a disturbing trend. Had Portland known that he would bolt they never would have traded for him so now they get nothing for what went to Lethbridge.

-- I actually am finding this a little ridiculous. I know these are kids but really do you want to be a pro or not -- if not then you are just taking up a roster spot and you should be up-front about that from the get-go. Was he just "having fun" in Lethbridge but it was okay cause he was close to home?

Because that's not the kind of attitude these players should have, they need to be/and need to learn to be responsible to the team and their teammates and understand its not just about them.

I see this selfish streak in a lot of young kids these days, new to the work-force and wanting to just coast through - thinking a hard day of work is beneath them. There's a pervasive attitude going on here and its not just about hockey its about lack of accountability from a lot of young people who have not been brought up with a sense of what it takes to excel and not just get by, and pride in being part of something and the willingness to make it happen.

Hunt24
10-18-2006, 06:32 PM
dondo dondo dondo :)

I'm going to try and avoid turning this into the thread that you and I have already had on this topic :)... that being said, why are we killing a kid for going home?

Chad Scharff was picked up by the Bruins but decided to retire and spend time with his family. Where's the thread ripping him for wanting to be with his family? From the Portland coverage it appears that Thunderchild was more interested in being with his family. Another thing to keep in mind is that he is aboriginal and we've all seen the stories on the Tootoo brothers and how much harder it was for them. I'm not sure about his home life, but he did leave home at 13. That's a young age to leave home, for anybody.

At 18 he's still got a chance to get his education and make something of himself outside of hockey.

He was acquired EARLY last year from Lethbridge. He played 47 games with the Hawks and another 8 in the playoffs. You're making it sound like they acquired him and he said 'screw you' and left them high and dry.

rinkrat
10-18-2006, 07:17 PM
dondo dondo dondo :)

I'm going to try and avoid turning this into the thread that you and I have already had on this topic :)... that being said, why are we killing a kid for going home?

Chad Scharff was picked up by the Bruins but decided to retire and spend time with his family. Where's the thread ripping him for wanting to be with his family? From the Portland coverage it appears that Thunderchild was more interested in being with his family. Another thing to keep in mind is that he is aboriginal and we've all seen the stories on the Tootoo brothers and how much harder it was for them. I'm not sure about his home life, but he did leave home at 13. That's a young age to leave home, for anybody.

At 18 he's still got a chance to get his education and make something of himself outside of hockey.

He was acquired EARLY last year from Lethbridge. He played 47 games with the Hawks and another 8 in the playoffs. You're making it sound like they acquired him and he said 'screw you' and left them high and dry.

For once we agree,well stated Hunt24.They are,after all kids.

dondo
10-18-2006, 07:26 PM
:mad: and another thing !!! -- oh. well.. -- yeah okay ... :p (this time..) :thumb:

I'll get you next time gadget ----

neutral
10-18-2006, 08:37 PM
-- I actually am finding this a little ridiculous. I know these are kids but really do you want to be a pro or not -- if not then you are just taking up a roster spot and you should be up-front about that from the get-go.

You missed 2 reasons why "kids" play in this league, even though they are not thinking about going pro. For those who have a realistic grasp on reality, turning pro is a small probability. So what would motivate them? Well, for one, having the chance of a lifetime to play in the best junior league in the world with a group of like minded kids. And second, what a great way to gain some education funding for some form of post secondary training, with the possibility of continuing to play at the college or university level.

In real life, adults can change jobs, whether it is a promotion, demotion, or lateral move. So, for some players, moving from Tier II to Major Junior is a promotion, for others a move from Major Junior to Tier II make be considered a lateral or possibly a demotion. But when it is their own choice, it is likely perceived as a lateral when factoring in hockey, family, and life.

But what do I know. I've just had 2 kids involved in hockey at the Major Junior and Tier II levels. Plus dozens and dozens of their friends.

dondo
10-18-2006, 10:39 PM
great points neutral - the education fund is a huge one, and playing with their peers as well

-- but then wouldn't you think that some of these players would less concerned about where they play and more concerned about who they play with? And the reality and joy of being part of team which is something bigger than themselves?

For me it seems that the ones that leave a team seem to be angling for better ice-time or a better team to showcase their talents, which is kind of counter your arguments. In the Thunderchild case though he did indeed go to TierII (i suppose that's what the level is)

It's not every player by any means and most players it seems to me are happy just to be playing major Junior, but I suspect the ones that make these kinds of decisions are not simply home-sick but trying to gain some edge -- which I suppose is how you get ahead, but at the cost of your teammates I just don't get it I guess.

BTW how are/did your kids do neutral and what would they say about this subject? Do they see it as a concern in the league or is it just one of those things which happen? Have they experienced something like it first-hand?

neutral
10-19-2006, 09:02 AM
BTW how are/did your kids do neutral and what would they say about this subject? Do they see it as a concern in the league or is it just one of those things which happen? Have they experienced something like it first-hand?

One left junior hockey for the right reasons to get on with his education and other sports interests. He would support an individual player in their decision to do what is right for them, whether it is family, other sports, or education. The other stuck it out through the good and the bad. Due to his love of the game and commitment to a team and team mates, he did not regret it. So they represent both sides of the discussion.

dondo
10-19-2006, 04:32 PM
thanks its interesting for me to get a perspective on this issue as it clarifies some of the individual stories a bit. I find it a bit of fascinating subject as on the surface it seems to be cut and dried but you never know if a player had a bad billet, or an uncomfortable experience with the team, or it is simply desire to play for a more high-profile team (which is obviously the reason that irks me the most - as it destroys league parity.)

dj-kris
10-23-2006, 12:24 AM
great points neutral - the education fund is a huge one, and playing with their peers as well

there is the possibility with him being native he would have his schooling paid for anyways so he chose the family side