PDA

View Full Version : BC Division season preview.....Must read

KBF
09-15-2006, 10:17 PM
We will start with the BC Division. Let me know if you want me to do the US and Eastern Conference.

Vancouver Giants

Key Returnees:Kraus, Lucic, Machachek, Slade, Mikkelson, Festerling, Franson, Blum, Repik.

Key Losses:Brule, Albers, Fistric, Bartley.

Newcomers: Dulle, Deck, Toigo, Wright, Regner.

Euros:Repik, Bliznak

Players that must step up:Rutherford, Hunt, Reese, Watt, Bliznak

The loss of Brule is a big blow to the offense but without Brule last season in the first half they had no problems finding the net. It won't be as easy as last season but with guys like Kraus, Machachek, Lucic and Repik thats a pretty formidable offense and definetly as good as any contender out there.

There defence is as strong as last season even without Albers and Fistric back there. Franson, Festerling and Mikkelson will have bigger roles and are more than adequate to fill the holes.

Goaltending, cannot believe the talk about getting rid of Slade, I mean I don't like the guy but come on, he had 13 shutouts last year and some people wanna just throw him away?

Bottom line, the Giants once again are solid all around and are THE team to beat in the BC Division and quite possibly the WHL as a whole.

Kelowna Rockets

Key returnees:Cumiskey, Dowzak, Schenn, Ofukany, Hill, Bauer, Ray.

Key Losses:Comeau, Card, Keller, Yeomans, Darzins, Edler, Spurgeon, Howarth, Bodie.

Newcomers:Myers, L.Bloodoff, E.Bloodoff, Hoist, Hood, McMillan, Breitkreuz, Saulietis, Capcara, Barthel, McIntosh, McEwen, Jung.

Players that must step up:Bauer, Hill, Ofukany, Dowzak

There have been a significant amount of losses up front and on the backend. This season the Rockets won't have the benefit of being able to roll 3 solid lines who could score at any chance they want. They'll have 2 solid lines for sure but guys like Bauer, Hill and Ofukany have to step up in order for the Rockets to be competitive and not fade out of the playoff picture. They have a solid crop of rookies and youngsters like Myers, Schenn, Lucas and Evan Bloodoff, the things that have been taught in Kelowna the last few years won't be forgotten with Truitt at the helm, but they just won't be rolling over teams like they have the past few seasons.

Goaltending will be solid, I know there is alot of question in regards to Westblom but the kid has alot of talent and given the right amount of time to grow and improve he will be better than Yeomans. He'll steal alot of games for the Rockets if his work ethic matches his talent.

Kamloops Blazers

Key returnees:Jorgensen, Macias, Bartley, Ellerby, Nixon, Maniago, Dunstall, Stretch, Kassian.

Key losses:Rome, Mulock, Tesliuk, Dubnyk.

Newcomers:Puustinen, Rohac, Schmermund, Rowley, Shattock, Rodgers, Kraus, Woznikoski, Flette.

Euros:Rohac, Puustinen

Players that must step up:Delorande, Mason, Ellerby, Skrudland

After the last few years of turmoil and the money incident being behind them now, they Blazers look to be in good shape in the coming years in regards to their youngsters. With Jorgensen, Nixon and Dunstall looking great so far as well as Puustinen and Rohac looking very impressive in their games in Exhibition so far, there might be a solid offensive punch this season, something that has been lacking the last few years. The team for the most part has adjusted well to the new rules but still every now and then throw them out the window.

Defense is more solid than its been the last few years with Bartley, Ellerby, Bender and Macias rounding out the top 4, as good as any top 4 in the league when on their game. Add future QB Rowley and rough and tumble youngster Woznikoski, defence will be their best asset this coming season.

Goaltending has been left a big hole with the departure of Dubnyk, but Maniago proved last year that he is more than capable in carrying the load in goal and again they should be just fine between the pipes, something that hasn't really been a problem.

Prince George Cougars

Key Returnees:Drazenovic, Hunter, Tyrell, Walker, Fuller, Wishart, Cyr, Sagert, Dudas.

Key Losses:Patterson, Zimmer, Featherstone, Rodgers, Cooper and possibly Bowles when the overage situation is cleared up.

Newcomers:Mihalik, Robertson, Hunt, Kajic, Redden, McDonald, Vrana, White.

Players that must step up:Fuller, Gendur, Dudas.

This is the strongest looking Cougar team since the days of Brewer, Chara, Bouck and Betts with Scott Myers in net. Lots of offensive punch in guys like Robertson, Drazenovic, Hunter, Walker and lots of promise in Tyrell, Rai, Hunt. They've got as good of an offense as anyone and could be a real suprise in the contending end of things out West, could be the year they capture a banner.

Their defence is solid but it will hurt losing a guy like Cooper who is the odd man out in the overage situation but was boosted by adding Mihalik from Red Deer, Vrana in the Euro draft who has lots of potential and Ty Wishart a first round pick of the Montreal Canadiens, and Jesse Dudas, Kalvin Sagert, if they are all healthy they will have no problem carrying the load.

In goal Real Cyr will take charge in goal and has shown he is more than capable of being a solid force back there. And the Cougars will have not much troubles scoring goals, or keeping them out. Jordan White the young backup won't see much action but will definetly learn alot from a guy like Cyr.

Chilliwack Bruins

Key Players:Aspenlind, Lineker, Spurgeon (If he comes back)

The jury is out for this new expansion team, the days of expansion teams stinking the joint up has since been long and while they don't really have a roster that jumps out at you, if they have the right chemistry and get solid play from their goaltending, it could be a decent season for the first year Bruins and if not look for them to unload their vets at the trade deadline to make way for newer players.

Right now as I see it the Standings.

1.Vancouver 102 Pts
2.Prince Geo 96 Pts
3.Kamloops 82 Pts
4.Kelowna 78 Pts
5.Chilliwack 60 Pts

rinkrat
09-15-2006, 11:11 PM
Very nice job,KBF. :thumb:

Sput
09-16-2006, 10:18 AM
Good post KBF. I agree with the standings you have. Kelowna is going through a big rebuilding year, but its hard to say how Truitt will motivate the boys, not affecting placement but points.

Gonna be a fun year to watch the BC Div. Winner of the West (US/BC combined) will take the Dub.

Beaner
09-16-2006, 11:59 AM
Excellent job KBF, and yes if you would do the rest of the divisions that would be great.

Bran
09-16-2006, 12:07 PM
Looks pretty good! I'd like to see what you think about the rest of the league. I think others would as well.

HAF
09-16-2006, 12:29 PM
KBF, These are the quality posts we would like to see more of!!! :thumb: I'd be interested to see your take on the US division since the latest few trades have been made.

GBG BLEED BLUE
09-16-2006, 12:49 PM
Yes KBF those are very good posts,I myself would like to see and Eastern Division preveiw. So If you did that I would appreciate it.

Once again GOOD JOB :thumb: