PDA

View Full Version : Wheaties make some stupid decisions

Triton
09-17-2006, 02:51 PM
Brandon, Manitoba – The Brandon Wheat Kings have trimmed their Western Hockey League pre-season roster as they continue preparations for Friday’s Coca Cola Home Opener at the Keystone Centre against the visiting Moose Jaw Warriors.

General manager and head coach Kelly McCrimmon reassigned three players and announced the retirement of another as the WHL club reduced its roster to twenty-seven players.

While left-winger Tyler Strautman left Brandon this weekend after informing the club of his decision to retire, three others including 16-year olds Andrew Hayes and Sanfred King have been reassigned. King, who was Brandon’s first pick in the 2005 bantam draft, will report to the AAA Wheat Kings while Hayes has been designated for assignment to either the Alberta Junior Hockey League or the Alberta Major Midget League.

A former third round selection of the Wheat Kings, Hayes appeared in two pre-season games this year, compiling a 3.93 goals against average and an .867 save percentage. King scored one goal in two exhibition games.

Meanwhile 17-year old Michael Proudley, who registered one assist in 4 pre-season games, will report to the Manitoba Junior Hockey League’s Neepawa Natives. As a 16-year old rookie in the MJHL last winter, the 5’9” 188 lb Proudley had fifteen goals and 24 points in 44 games.

A 19-year old native of Leduc, Alberta, Strautman was entering his third year in Brandon – a career that has been plagued by a number of injuries including off-season shoulder surgery. During his three years with the Wheat Kings, the 6’1” 200 lb left-winger had played in just 82 games, scoring four goals and 14 points while accumulating 47 minutes in penalties.

Of the 27 players still on the club’s pre-season roster, three remain at National Hockey League training camps – Dustin Kohn (New York Islanders), Codey Burki (Colorado) and rookie Juraj Simek (Vancouver), four are overage players – Mark Derlago, Corey Courchene, Jeff Topilko and captain Teegan Moore and three are goalkeepers – veterans Tyler Plante and Kurt Jory and 17-year old rookie Joe Caligiuri.

In addition to the goalkeepers, Brandon has nine defenceman and 15 forwards.

Tickets to Friday’s Home Opener are on sale now at the Keystone Centre box office, while Season Tickets can be purchased at the Wheat Kings’ office or by calling 726-3535. As of Saturday, September 16th, approximately 2,200 Season Tickets had been sold.

Triton
09-17-2006, 03:02 PM
Really was hoping Hayes would make it as well as King.Could care less about Strautman or Proudley but Caliguiri stunk in his last pre-season game.

Is there something more to this that I'm not seeing?

GOBLADESGO#3 (among other aliases)
09-17-2006, 05:29 PM
ya, tell me what is so stupid here?

Triton
09-17-2006, 05:40 PM
The fact that Caligiuri was lit in Regina and Hayes played good but got cut.King was our 1st round pick last year and played solid in the 2 games he played but was cut.Would have liked to see King play this year to gain experience for next season.

WHEATMAN
09-17-2006, 08:11 PM
King was our 1st round pick last year and played solid in the 2 games he played but was cut.Would have liked to see King play this year to gain experience for next season.

Never thought the McCrimmon would send King down, does anyone know the last time a 1st round pick was sent down in there 16 year old season?

09-17-2006, 08:56 PM
probally alot its not often a 16 year old gets the call

daffy99
09-17-2006, 09:01 PM
I think the moves he made were great. Proudly is way to slow for the leauge. King just looks like a young player that is out of place that needs another year of miget. And Hayes is only 16, id sooner rather have a 18 year old starter next year than a 17 year old rookie starting for me....if that makes sense to anyone...

Triton
09-17-2006, 09:13 PM
So how close is the current roster to the opening day roster?Does Jeffries make the team?Does Matty Smith or Robinson make the team?Does Jory get traded or Caliguiri sent down?

Another euro that can score would be nice.

WorkHorse
09-17-2006, 09:36 PM
I think the moves he made were great. Proudly is way to slow for the leauge. King just looks like a young player that is out of place that needs another year of miget. And Hayes is only 16, id sooner rather have a 18 year old starter next year than a 17 year old rookie starting for me....if that makes sense to anyone...

Actually I think Plante was a 17 year old starter. His backup was Mike Nichol who was brought in the year before.

WHEATMAN
09-17-2006, 10:49 PM
probally alot its not often a 16 year old gets the call

first round picks usually stick with the club. In Brandon anyway i think a the 1st round pick has made the team every year since the creation of the bantam draft

nivek_wahs
09-18-2006, 02:59 AM
In the Friday game in Regina... Hayes played good (better than Caligauri) and other than a few veterans Proudley played good one of the better Wheats. Imo surprise cuts (stupid I can't really say).

09-18-2006, 08:23 AM
oh crap im really sorry read the question wrong so yes practicly every 16 year old whl draft pick plays, i thought you were talking about the nhl draft, my mistake :D